Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adjusting Hydraulic disk brakes

Options
  • 02-12-2018 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

Is there some way of adjusting the amount of stopping force that is applied for a given displacement of the hand lever ? So, when I pull both brakes by the same amount I want both front and back brakes to apply evenly. I have just changed the front pads because they were worn out but the back ones still have reasonable depth. This means that I can pull the back brakes significantly further than the front ones before they clamp the rotar firmly.
    With old V-brakes I would just adjust the length of the brake cable so that both front and back gripped the same for the same pull on the hand levers if the front and back pads had significantly different amount of wear, is there some equivalent adjustment for hydraulic disc brakes ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭homer911

I'd top up the hydraulic fluid in the brake that's less responsive - it might only take a few drops

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

The pads should self adjust to suit wear, so I wouldn't go topping up fluid. Unless it's low.
    there is prob a small bolt that will move the brake bite point, this will help even out the amount you need to pull the levers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sounds like you're talking about free stroke adjustment, which controls how much travel the levers have before the brakes bind. This varies for different levers, so you should download the manual specific to your own setup. Mine are BR685 and there is a small grub screw to control this. If it is not already full in (mine was as delivered) try one extra turn in to reduce free stroke or one extra turn out to increase free stroke. In my case I had to combine this with a bleed, so the steps were to unscrew the free stroke screw 50% of the way, bleed the brakes to have a full reservoir and replace all screws, adjust free stroke screw as needed. If you just want to reduce the free stroke, you could probably just loosen the free stroke screw, add some fluid to the reservoir, and tighten the free stroke screw as needed. There are a few videos on youtube covering it, but the one's I've seen aren't great.

Word of warning: If you reduce the free stroke too much it might feel better for light braking but can send you over the handle bars for hard braking. Been there, done that.

Advertisement