Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good wetsuit for wintet

• 02-12-2018 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I'm looking for a good wetsuit for the winter for purpose of open sea swimming. Would be looking for a suit that's 5/4 mm, or 5/4/3 mm. Any recommendations and where in Dublin can I get one? Wary of buying online due to sizing.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

how often do you swim open water

the more expnsive suits dont last as long ( softer rubber and extremly thin shoulders get easier damaged) i use a low level suit for training and only use my good suits a couple of times for training a year.

Are you swimming the channel or other long distacne open water races?
    unless you have no access to a pool open water swiming at the monent would not make much sense as you dont get the same training intesities , durations in.

i would make sure to also get a neoprene vest besides socks , hat and neprene shorts also help a good bit .

the only thing you would get me in the water in at the moment would be a de sotto rover suit which is 10 mm for most parts and the above mentioned thingss. currently i could almost say i have a wetsuit built in . but there is a reason why open water swimmer that swim in the winter resemble more the shape of a wallrus lol

base2race
    cyclesupersotre
    wheelworx

stock suits.

some companies like blueseventy,aquaman have suits that are a bit more thermal the difference its not huge and it dosnt add more than 1 to 1.5 degrees but then that an be the differnce .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hi,

Sorry, I should of mentioned that it's not really for Triathlon's and more just for open sea swimming and I don't think I will be competing any time soon.I specifically posted here rather than the 'Swimming' forum due to traffic. I should of been more candid in opening post.

I want to start getting it , haven't actually done so yet.
    'neoprene vest besides socks , hat and neprene shorts:' Thanks, already got a good orca hat, will look into buying the other listed things.

Thanks for list of shops that sell them, will check these out! Ha unfortunately I do not have the blubber of a walrus myself, so was looking for wetsuit that will make a difference in water while maintaining flexibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Hi,

Sorry, I should of mentioned that it's not really for Triathlon's and more just for open sea swimming and I don't think I will be competing any time soon.I specifically posted here rather than the 'Swimming' forum due to traffic. I should of been more candid in opening post.

I want to start getting it , haven't actually done so yet.
    'neoprene vest besides socks , hat and neprene shorts:' Thanks, already got a good orca hat, will look into buying the other listed things.

Thanks for list of shops that sell them, will check these out! Ha unfortunately I do not have the blubber of a walrus myself, so was looking for wetsuit that will make a difference in water while maintaining flexibility.

You would have got a better answer on the Swimming forum. There might not be a lot of traffic, but the posters there really know their stuff. Best to stay specific- most of my mates are triathletes and everyone is in the pool now. The subset that is more into OW swimming are still getting in.

If you want to start getting into it- the best advice I can give is that no permission is required. Depending on where you are, OW swim clubs are still active and will give specific advice and encouragement. Lads and ladies are swimming year round without wetsuit so its quite possible to do so while wearing a suit. Your priority should be insulation over flexibility but have fun finding out how you will apportion that priority. Best of luck and have fun exploring new things.

Advertisement