Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zwift

Options
  • 02-12-2018 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Using zwift for a while now, what are other people using as an alernative

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

Not doing a lot of indoor training just yet but when I am it's on a Bkool trainer and I've been using their sim/app which works quite well, I've also been dabbling with BigRingVr which I quite like.

I use both with the real life videos, I'd rather that than the computer game type simulation of zwift

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

rouvy is another option, I tried their free trial recently and will likely pay for a couple of months in January. They have just launched augmented routes similar to zwift. Which look pretty good, there wasn't many other users on the routes I was on but I guess they'll get busier over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

I use Rouvy can use my three credit to pay being the main reason. the augmented routes are decent as you can add in yourself as an avatar on the route and 'race' yourself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I use Rouvy can use my three credit to pay being the main reason. the augmented routes are decent as you can add in yourself as an avatar on the route and 'race' yourself

Still using the old TacX 3 VR which also allows competing against avatars representing your previous attempts on the same track. Graphics aren't great by modern standards and turbo has seen better days, but still find it a very motivating way of training. First time back on it last week and nearly puked! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I posted about a few alternatives in another thread a while back.

There's OneLap. A chinese alternative. It is available in English, but it's poorly translated. Been a while since I used it. A bit glitchy, but worked.

BigRing VR was mentioned above. I used this when it was in Beta, it wasn't bad.

RoadGrandTours is still in openBeta and free I think, but they've removed Alpe D'Huez recently, it sometimes crashes and despite what they say, there seems to be not a huge amount of users.

VirtuGo, as above. but a while since I used it too.

Might try rouvy if it uses 3 credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

TrainerRoad, but it's pure training (second device for entertainment!). Relatively low device specs compared to Zwift, and they're adding features like the calendar, which is getting close to Training Peaks functionality for the one subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Check out CBRcade. Only in closed beta at the moment so the graphics are 1990's Doom like. Heard a load of people raving about it. You should be able to sign up and apply for the beta. It'll be free to play forever apparently. Definitely going to be a replacement for zwift for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Rouvy is worth a try you can upload your own routes from strava. Have to say it is quite realistic the feel is not unlike the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

BigRingVR is really cool, loads of amazing routes and great video. But after a while, it does get a bit boring and then it's only slightly more interesting than looking at the wall. I have VirtuGo beta at the moment, it's coming together nicely - graphics are really good lately, but still issues to be ironed out. Neither has the buzz like Zwift - although Zwift can get pretty annoying after a while too - or may be that's just me.

BigRingVR or VirtuGO, I often end up putting that the trainer scren on laptop, playing a movie or something on the TV. My ideal training software will work as a minimal text overlay over VLC media player or youtube videos displaying just the essentials - a mini route map of some real world location, gradient, speed, time, segment information etc... and record and post to Strava with the map and all stats available. I don't think there's a trainer app like that - I might just have to develop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Does anyone here have a recent w200 gpx file to hand please. I just learnt that you can upload it to zwift to ride it. It will take me ages to figure out how to download it to gpx file. Also have to then figure out have to get it onto zwift but since i can get workouts to zwift I should manage w200.

While I'm at it, if you have a solution for getting the zwift tune out of my head it would be very much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    Does anyone here have a recent w200 gpx file to hand please. I just learnt that you can upload it to zwift to ride it. It will take me ages to figure out how to download it to gpx file. Also have to then figure out have to get it onto zwift but since i can get workouts to zwift I should manage w200.

While I'm at it, if you have a solution for getting the zwift tune out of my head it would be very much appreciated.

I just downloaded this from strava now if its any use for what you need

https://file.io/AvUsOV

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Awh thank you so much but sadly it wont open. Ill try to do the same though so thanks for the idea.

I just downloaded this from strava now if its any use for what you need

https://file.io/AvUsOV[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

i think the site i used is a bit crap, you probably already got it by now from strava, but if not here is another link that should work
    https://we.tl/t-4TA2KDIuOE

or the course i used might help
    https://www.strava.com/routes/429137

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    Does anyone here have a recent w200 gpx file to hand please. I just learnt that you can upload it to zwift to ride it. It will take me ages to figure out how to download it to gpx file.

Just in case anyone wants to do the same

https://kb.zwiftriders.com/real-world-to-zwift-workout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Call me old school … but I still prefer going up and down a quiet road at night the winter, well wrapped up and feel the air on my face …

What do the Zwifts of this world do for bike handling?

( first post back after a few years of not posting in here … I had to start somewhere)

I'm going to give this zwifting thing a try, using a basic trainer.

my speed and cadence is bluetooth, but I can't pair it with my phone, so it looks like i need to get one that will. (I use a Lezyne Super GPS with speed and cadence sensor)

Can anyone suggest a cheap as chips thing so I can start using zwift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Call me old school … but I still prefer going up and down a quiet road at night the winter, well wrapped up and feel the air on my face …

( first post back after a few years of not posting in here … I had to start somewhere)

No one is saying its better.

What everyone me included likes about Zwift/Turbo

a. Start. Two minutes your up and pedalling. None of this search for batteries, kit, wet gear etc.
    b. Finish. Two minutes your off and showering
    c. Safety. Training at night having been there isnt safe anymore. Middle of an interval on a country road is recipe for disaster at nightime.
    d. Time. A decent hour/hour and half session is easy and less daunting to fit in.
    e. Interest, Zwift adds to the interest of indoor training. FTP's, Programmes, Racing, Social and tracking progress.
    f. Safety
    g. Safety
    h. Safety

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

It's difficult in the mornings to get 1.5 - 2 hours done on the road before work especially when that workout involves intervals. Zwift means I don't have to worry about traffic lights, trying to find a quiet enough place to do the intervals, a road long enough to do them etc.

In terms of bike handling I commute in and out to work and head out on the bike over the weekend. Everyone talks about handling this and handling that as if we're all downhill riders. If people are racing, the main issues arise when people aren't used to handling a bike in a group. If I'm going out training on the roads solo I'm not really getting any experience of riding in a group anyway so I don't see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

Can anyone recommend a good cheap laptop for zwift mine only seems to work when it wants too gets very annoying when it stops working in the middle of a spin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Or another option is to get yourself an Apple TV 4 instead of a laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 stones81

jamesd wrote: »
    Or another option is to get yourself an Apple TV 4 instead of a laptop.

Is that the black box you can connect to your tv to get all the apps that Apple offer could you connect that to laptop 8f I tried to connect it to the tv I'd be shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

how is everyone getting on with their Turbo and Zwift,

is anyone using a zwift alernative?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

tech wrote: »
    how is everyone getting on with their Turbo and Zwift,

is anyone using a zwift alernative?

I've used Road Grand Tours with is still in Beta I think. Have not used it in over a year and it's had an overhaul.

I've used OneLap too. Chinese take on Zwift.

Also used BigRingVR.

They all had some promise, but none were as full featured as Zwift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

Virtu Go

21 day trial!! but very quite on the road but 1/3 of the price of Zwift!

Advertisement