Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air to water heating

Options
  • 02-12-2018 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Could anyone advise me on the cost of putting an air to water heating system into a 1970s house please.

Thanks
    Jo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hi all,
    Could anyone advise me on the cost of putting an air to water heating system into a 1970s house please.

Thanks
    Jo

I was talking to a local installer yesterday after we met. Looking at 10k plus upgrade of radiators. So 13k approximately.

Mine is a newer house!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Joniamhsean

Jo I was talking to a local installer yesterday after we met. Looking at 10k plus upgrade of radiators. So 13k approximately.

Mine is a newer house!

Thanks a million. A total bargain so!!

Would u recommend the guy u were talking ot?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

That's a difficult Q to answer without a lot more info about your house. Have you looked at the Coonstruction & Planning forum here on Boards? This subject has been discussed from every angle on there.

Do your research, get 3 quotes before buying, and talk to others who have done what you are planning to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In simple terms, depends on if this work is already done, but insulation, airtightness and possibly cold bridging need to be tackled first. These give best return for you buck and reduce the heating demand. a reduced heating demand is essential for Air to Water as it will cost a fortune to run otherwise.

JonathonS wrote: »
    That's a difficult Q to answer without a lot more info about your house. Have you looked at the Coonstruction & Planning forum here on Boards? This subject has been discussed from every angle on there.

Do your research, get 3 quotes before buying, and talk to others who have done what you are planning to do.

Thank u. Will have a look.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    In simple terms, depends on if this work is already done, but insulation, airtightness and possibly cold bridging need to be tackled first. These give best return for you buck and reduce the heating demand. a reduced heating demand is essential for Air to Water as it will cost a fortune to run otherwise.
    Thanks for ur reply. We are hoping to do external insulation too. But I havent heard of cold bridging. Must look it up.

We just want to make the house as eco friendly as possible. Maybe there are other heatimg systems I could look into.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thanks for ur reply. We are hoping to do external insulation too. But I havent heard of cold bridging. Must look it up.

We just want to make the house as eco friendly as possible. Maybe there are other heatimg systems I could look into.

Did you manage to buy a house?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Did you manage to buy a house?

Well we are sale agreed. Have fingers, toes etc crossed but you never know how these things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think you'll have your work cut out for you in making the house air tight.

As already said, get that all done first and then decide if you need/want A2H.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Well we are sale agreed. Have fingers, toes etc crossed but you never know how these things go.

That’s great! Hope it all goes well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement