Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think the company is trying to make me quit my job

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Every teenager thinking about it should spend a few months on freecodecamp. The dropout rate would drop.

Because freecodecamp is brilliant at teaching people programming, or because most people will realise they can't program / don't like programming before committing to a computer science degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Bsc does not make it computer Science.

I did a general BSC Level 8 degree in Information technology (3 years) as I did not have the head for programming and loved Computing.

We had four modules Java programming in the course and hated it, had Maths every semester.

Now Work as an storage engineer with Sans, Nas devices, VMware,data centres, firewalls, and sometimes Cisco devices, windows server etc. Also getting my head around AWS,Azure at the moment. There good bit of scripting but most of it has been done by external contractors we got in that we can reuse or modify

Just writing this to the OP that there are other careers outside programming that are worth progressing. Training content can easily be got online and exams there to certify you.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Because freecodecamp is brilliant at teaching people programming, or because most people will realise they can't program / don't like programming before committing to a computer science degree?

Because it's cool for a while until you get into the hard algorithm tasks. My girlfriend initially loved it but hit a brick wall a couple of months in and lost all interest.

It's a good way to see what coding is really like past the initial success feeling. It tells you if you're into actually writing complex code.

Because it's cool for a while until you get into the hard algorithm tasks. My girlfriend initially loved it but hit a brick wall a couple of months in and lost all interest.

It's a good way to see what coding is really like past the initial success feeling.

I agree with you.

Perhaps a solution to this is to have a programming course in secondary school.

Although this may result in everyone hating programming.

I agree with you.

Yep. A bad teacher could have an entire class lose interest. A great teacher on the other hand could awaken interest.

In Vietnam here, some schools have programming competitions and stuff. I've had student telling me about their projects and had them missing while competing. It's really cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

turdball wrote: »
    Bsc does not make it computer Science.

I never said it did, he asked if it was an Arts degree, I took this to mean a BA as apposed to a BSc. As why on earth would I be posting if I did a feckin' gender studies course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Pelvis wrote: »
    I never said it did, he asked if it was an Arts degree, I took this to mean a BA as apposed to a BSc. As why on earth would I be posting if I did a feckin' gender studies course?

Was thinking your not doing computer science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some college courses are coding heavy some are definitely not. To the point where some places I've worked will only take people from certain colleges.
    I've certainly met some graduate with good degrees but didn't seem to be able to 1) code 2) problem solve. The latter being a show stopper.

I'm somewhere between both opinions on this. I think more people can programme than do because its elitist in many companies. Sure if you are determined and have appropriate resources, you can teach yourself. But equally lots of people aren't able. Either they don't have the aptitude for coding and problem solving or they don't have the people skills to deal with the BS you have to cut through. Also some people struggle in team one do well doing the same job in another team. There is synergy.

Pelvis wrote: »

This is boards.

Never assume the person you're talking to is a functioning human! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I agree with you.

A lot of schools offer coding at junior cycle and I think there are about 50 schools trialling LC Comp science for full roll out in 2020.

• Advertisement
Advertisement