Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freesat thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything..

I've a Samsung Q6f with freesat built in.. Is there anyway of adding the saorview channels using the satellite I have up already or will I have to add an external ariel to the house.

Thanks!

Saorview is received through a uhf aerial on the roof. If you are close to a mast you may get away with rabbits ears which can be placed internally near the tv. They do suffer from interference, e.g. closing a curtain next to it will cause stutter in the picture.

The best thing is to have an aerial on the roof or in your attic if the signal is strong enough.

The cable from the satellite dish can also be used to take the signal from the uhf aerial.

You could consider the rte player app to receive the rte channels but won't have access to virgin (new name for tv3) or tg4.

Further note on this - even with a dns service in place I can't play the above content, similar to the itv hub player.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Saorview is received through a uhf aerial on the roof. If you are close to a mast you may get away with rabbits ears which can be placed internally near the tv. They do suffer from interference, e.g. closing a curtain next to it will cause stutter in the picture.

The best thing is to have an aerial on the roof or in your attic if the signal is strong enough.

The cable from the satellite dish can also be used to take the signal from the uhf aerial.

You could consider the rte player app to receive the rte channels but won't have access to virgin (new name for tv3) or tg4.

Thanks Tiger!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dotty145

Hey just looking for some info as only starting to look into freeview and saorview,
    I’ve 2 connections at the back of both my smart TVs
    One antenna the other sat
    1).The antenna one I need to put a uhf areal up on the roof and run coaxial into the house, then I can splice off this to all the rooms ( that will give me all the saorview Irish channels.

2).and for the free view I need to put up a dish on the roof locate a satellite and run a separate load of cable for this, I have 4 rooms I want to go into so the dish needs 4lnb and coaxial from each lnb to each room,

I just want to get the basics done first before I start buying boxes

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

dotty145 wrote: »
    Hey just looking for some info as only starting to look into freeview and saorview,
    1).The antenna one I need to put a uhf areal up on the roof and run coaxial into the house, then I can splice off this to all the rooms ( that will give me all the saorview Irish channels.

2).and for the free view I need to put up a dish on the roof locate a satellite and run a separate load of cable for this, I have 4 rooms I want to go into so the dish needs 4lnb and coaxial from each lnb to each room,

Thanks

If your TVs are Freesat enabled, you have a choice.

1: Set the TV to UK, and choose a UK post code. This will determine which location the TV will pretend to be in. For NI, use BT1A 1AA. For London, choose SW1A 1AA. When you tune your TV, it will tune all the Freesat stations, but Saorview will be in odd numbers starting at 800. You need to sort them using channel sort. You cannot sort Freesat.

2: Set the TV to Ireland. This will give all the Saorview channels in the correct numbers with full EPG, but no Freesat. Tuning the Sat channels need to be set to unencrypted or FTA, and it will tune 300 or so channels. These need to be sorted and duplicates deleted. There will be no EPG, only Now and Next for the FTA channels.

The first is easier.

A quad LNB will do for this setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

dotty145 wrote: »

Freesat or FTA (free-to-air) satellite is what you're looking for, Freeview is the UK's terrestrial TV service like Saorview here. Might be available via an aerial from NI or Wales if you live near the border or the east coast.

The aerial feed can be split to the 4 rooms using a distribution amplifier.

What make/model TV do you have, some are Freesat others FTA?

Satellite dish with quad LNB as a minimum and an aerial feed.

Do you want to be able to record the satellite channels? If so, you'll require 2 cables to that box, one for watching and one for recording and a freesat box

List of channels on Freesat (UK) - https://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_Freesat_(UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dotty145

The Cush wrote: »
    Freesat or FTA (free-to-air) satellite is what you're looking for, Freeview is the UK's terrestrial TV service like Saorview here. Might be available via an aerial from NI or Wales if you live near the border or the east coast.

The aerial feed can be split to the 4 rooms using a distribution amplifier.

What make/model TV do you have, some are Freesat others FTA?

Satellite dish with quad LNB as a minimum and an aerial feed.

Do you want to be able to record the satellite channels? If so, you'll require 2 cables to that box, one for watching and one for recording and a freesat box

List of channels on Freesat (UK) - https://www.tvchannellists.com/List_of_channels_on_Freesat_(UK)

Ok thanks for that
    I have a LG smart tv can’t remember if it’s freesat or FTA but it defo has the option for either one of them, I’ll have a look later,

I never record so don’t need that option.

Could someone recommend a one stop shop where I could get all the hardware to do the instillation myself

TIA

• Advertisement
Advertisement