Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light wiring help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

kingstevii wrote: »
    A lighting circuit switched off at the MCB will be instantly de-energised.

This

Are they allowed in an electrician toolbox any more? Heard it somewhere dunno how true.

Are they not allowed in an electricians toolbox? Link to legislation about this please. I have one in mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Are they not allowed in an electricians toolbox? Link to legislation about this please. I have one in mine.

You sound more like a spanner type of operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Are you an electrician? The onus is on you to know if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Phil.x

My old boss made a great point years ago about phase testers, he said are you willing to risk your life on a 2 pence resistor?..as thats the only thing stopping you from being killed.

Never use them and if i get one in a pack of drivers i bin it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Fordcspri23

Bruthal wrote: »
    You sound more like a spanner type of operator.

What sort of tool are you?.

Are you an electrician? The onus is on you to know if thats the case.

Yes I am. And I'm perfectly entitled to have one in my toolbox. So what you heard in the pub or wherever is incorrect..

Phil.x wrote: »
    My old boss made a great point years ago about phase testers, he said are you willing to risk your life on a 2 pence resistor?..as thats the only thing stopping you from being killed.

Never use them and if i get one in a pack of drivers i bin it.

Cool story Bro.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Are they not allowed in an electricians toolbox?

They are banned on most building sites along with carpet (Stanley) knives. They are simply too unreliable.
    Link to legislation about this please.

There is no such legislation, it is not required to ban something on safety grounds.
    I have one in mine.

I suggest that you bin it immediately.

https://youtu.be/wLAJ-keFmpk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Not really. Made a statement, refused to back it up. Simpleton.

Believe it or not I'm not on this forum 24/7.

You claim to be an Electrician yet you support randomly connecting conductors together until it appears to work correctly. Do you honestly fail to grasp why this isn't a good idea?

I also note that you support the use of phase testers, yet claim to be an Electrician.

Perhaps you are the simpleton.

• Advertisement
Advertisement