Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reselling unwanted baby stuff

• 02-12-2018 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Hi,

does anyone know where is the best place to sell on strollers, buggys and car seats that baby has grown out of ?

I've tried Advers, Donedeal and Facebook but no interest.

We have an as new travel system that needs to go but bar giving it to a charity shop we don't know what to do with it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

will56 wrote: »
    Hi,

does anyone know where is the best place to sell on strollers, buggys and car seats that baby has grown out of ?

We have an as new travel system that needs to go but bar giving it to a charity shop we don't know what to do with it ?

You named the main places. I think that most people buy new or get hand me downs from family. The issue many parents have is hygiene and safety e.g. only have someone’s word that car seat wasn’t involved in a crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

You named the main places. I think that most people buy new or get hand me downs from family. The issue many parents have is hygiene and safety e.g. only have someone’s word that car seat wasn’t involved in a crash.

100% understand, we had the same thoughts when buying.
    I'd heard of bring and buy fairs for baby bits but can't seem to track any down at the moment

100% understand, we had the same thoughts when buying.
    I'd heard of bring and buy fairs for baby bits but can't seem to track any down at the moment

Car boot sales may be an option. However, buyers there expect to pay virtually nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Would you consider phoning Vincent de Paul and asking if they have a needy family that could do with it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

There is the Baby Market The Baby Market Ireland might be handy for ye. Tis madness the way people wont buy second hand esepcially if you can view the products first..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Are you selling or putting it up free? Free baby stuff on adverts usually flies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Are you selling or putting it up free? Free baby stuff on adverts usually flies

We're selling to try and recoup some of the cost and cover some of the new equipment we've bought

It’s likely too expensive then. Sorry but second hand value is awful on baby stuff. It’s why I actually buy a lot of it second hand now. (Except car seats)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Similar situation here. Thought I’d have no problem selling on our travel system as it is in mint condition but I won’t give it away. Bought it for €1400 so thought €500 was a bargain. Obviously not! Not one caller. Decided to put it in the attic in case we have any more kids. If we don’t I’ll give it to charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

We’ve had no issue moving stuff on at all. Use adverts mostly. I mostly buy second hand. But even the new stuff I’ve sold on for about 40% of the purchase price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Is there no dedicated Irish site for baby stuff?

Here in Germany there is https://www.mamikreisel.de/ and it is very successful. Business idea for someone if nothing like that exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Peppery

To be fair I think people do expect too much for second hand items. Like if you paid that price for it new you were happy with that and got good use out of it. Anything you get back is surely money in the pocket?
    For example saying 500 is good value for a pram because of the original price doesn’t make sense to me...500 euro is a lot of money and there are plenty of new prams for that price or not much more. I’d prefer to get a new one that pay for a name but have a second hand pram....but if it was a good bargain at like 200 then I would be tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Peppery wrote: »
    To be fair I think people do expect too much for second hand items. Like if you paid that price for it new you were happy with that and got good use out of it. Anything you get back is surely money in the pocket?
    For example saying 500 is good value for a pram because of the original price doesn’t make sense to me...500 euro is a lot of money and there are plenty of new prams for that price or not much more. I’d prefer to get a new one that pay for a name but have a second hand pram....but if it was a good bargain at like 200 then I would be tempted.

Oh I agree, anything back is a bonus but at the same time I would rather donate a pram than just let it go for €100.
    It’s all individual opinions though isn’t it? I think €500 is good value you think €200 is! Someone else may feel €200 is not a bargain. Again personal preference but I think a good second hand pram for €500 with a reputable name and durability is far better than a brand new cheap system like baby elegance system for €500. I don’t think your paying for a name it’s obviously just a far superior product!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I can’t fault the Facebook marketplace thingy - obviously location plays a massive part. Baby stuff in good condition here sells almost instantly - provided the price is right. I was getting so many messages that I had to mark stuff as sold before it was collected. I was looking for car seats recently and unless you responded within minutes of the ad going up, there was no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

cant26 wrote: »
    Oh I agree, anything back is a bonus but at the same time I would rather donate a pram than just let it go for €100.
    It’s all individual opinions though isn’t it? I think €500 is good value you think €200 is! Someone else may feel €200 is not a bargain. Again personal preference but I think a good second hand pram for €500 with a reputable name and durability is far better than a brand new cheap system like baby elegance system for €500. I don’t think your paying for a name it’s obviously just a far superior product!

I’m sorry but the name is exactly what you’re paying for.

The baby industry is up there with the wedding industry for fleecing people.

theteal wrote: »
    I’m sorry but the name is exactly what you’re paying for.

The baby industry is up there with the wedding industry for fleecing people.

I’d disagree when it comes to safety on car seats.

cant26 wrote: »

Why not? 100e is better than nothing I think personally and unfortunately when you are the seller it doesn’t really matter what we think something is worth, it’s what someone is willing to pay for it

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Not when you’re talking abut car seats, if you compare a €100 job from wherever to a €500-€750 britax then you’re getting more than just a name, the safety features are top class, it’s the safety of your child after all so why scrimp and scrape
    Made sense to me anyway to get the best of safety gear for my son for the car and I was surprised about the resale value but what can you do if people won’t pay it you have to come down in price to shift it

The resale value on car seats being particularly poor is because most people simply won’t buy them second hand in case they’ve been in a crash and those people are the ones more likely to spend good money to make sure it’s the safest possible. If you want the safest possible seat then you buy new unless you know the person tbh and can be sure they never crashed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’d disagree when it comes to safety on car seats.

Nonsense. There are standards to meet. Even the cheapest car seats meet these and often exceed them more than expensive brands

ted1 wrote: »
    Nonsense. There are standards to meet. Even the cheapest car seats meet these and often exceed them more than expensive brands

It depends on the safety standards you want them to meet though. For example the Swedish plus test is far more rigorous than the basic tests. As far as I know it is the only one that measures neck loads in an accident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Nah- some of those really cheap car seats meet the bare minimum requirements, and wouldn’t be rated amongst people who really value car seat safety. That said, there are budget brands which are perfectly adequate. I’d buy one of those before I’d trust a second hand seat from a stranger, regardless of how expensive that seat was to begin with

jlm29 wrote: »
    Nah- some of those really cheap car seats meet the bare minimum requirements, and wouldn’t be rated amongst people who really value car seat safety. That said, there are budget brands which are perfectly adequate. I’d buy one of those before I’d trust a second hand seat from a stranger, regardless of how expensive that seat was to begin with

Yeah that’s. Can’t afford to be spending hundreds but go with brand new, well designed and respected budget seats (joie in my case)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi,

always moved baby stuff on adverts within 24 hours

you're obviously looking for too much

Not when you’re talking abut car seats, if you compare a €100 job from wherever to a €500-€750 britax then you’re getting more than just a name, the safety features are top class, it’s the safety of your child after all so why scrimp and scrape
    Made sense to me anyway to get the best of safety gear for my son for the car and I was surprised about the resale value but what can you do if people won’t pay it you have to come down in price to shift it

car seats can not be sold in the EU without meeting safety standards

simple as that

lawred2 wrote: »
    car seats can not be sold in the EU without meeting safety standards

simple as that

This is true, but the testing required by law is best described as poor. The ECE44 eu standard requires that seats are tested with a dummy in them in a frontal impact at 31mph, and a rear end collision at 20mph. They also do not look at the loads placed on a child’s next if they are involved in a collision whilst in one of these seats. Many many people are not aware of this. Many people are, however, and they choose to buy seats which have been put through more rigorous testing such as the ADAC, or the Swedish plus test.
    Just because something meets the basic requirements, it doesn’t mean that it’s comparable to everything else that meets those requirements.

There is more to it than that, minimum safety requirements to meet E.U. standards aren’t necessarily the best
    It’s not the same as buying value baked beans or Heinz baked beans
    RSA recommend certain seats because they have more safety features
    Simple as that

they recommend car seats to adhere to a number of EU and UN standards..

they do not recommend particular seats..

lawred2 wrote: »
    always moved baby stuff on adverts within 24 hours

you're obviously looking for too much

Could also be location. If she’s rural it could be tougher than selling in Dublin

There is more to it than that, minimum safety requirements to meet E.U. standards aren’t necessarily the best
    It’s not the same as buying value baked beans or Heinz baked beans
    RSA recommend certain seats because they have more safety features
    Simple as that

In fairness to the RSA they are a joke of an agency. And I wouldn’t rate their advice. ( msybevits beacuse I’m a cyclists and they are particularly bad here )

Look it a 500 Euro seat that swivels is handy and convenient but it’s no safer than a hundred euro seat that doesn’t.

*providing they meet the same standards

RSA don’t mention any brands in there documents

It’s fitting and standards.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road Safety/Safety for kids/Child Safety in Cars English.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

If you do end up giving them to charity, I know of a mother-and-baby facility in Dublin who would absolutely get use out of them. At least then you're giving them directly to mothers in need, rather than giving them to a charity shop where they could end up being dumped to create space or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Honestly while I'm happy to buy a lot second hand, I'm definitely iffy about buying a car seat second-hand as a first time mam. I mean it could look fine but realistically you don't know what's gone on with it etc and how often it's been used. For certain things, I'm much happier to pay the little bit extra and get new. I would take one/buy one from someone I knew well so knew how it had been used etc but not from adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

In fairness to the RSA they are a joke of an agency. And I wouldn’t rate their advice. ( msybevits beacuse I’m a cyclists and they are particularly bad here )

Look it a 500 Euro seat that swivels is handy and convenient but it’s no safer than a hundred euro seat that doesn’t.

*providing they meet the same standards

RSA don’t mention any brands in there documents

It’s fitting and standards.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Safety%20for%20kids/Child%20Safety%20in%20Cars%20English.pdf

The people who work on the RSA Check it Fits campaign will recommend certain brands when speaking to them - and will recommend extended rear facing as it is a lot safer. A €500 ERF seat that has passed the Swedish Plus test IS a lot safer than a €100 car seat which hasn’t - it’s one area where you are actually paying for the extra safety features

The people who work on the RSA Check it Fits campaign will recommend certain brands when speaking to them - and will recommend extended rear facing as it is a lot safer. A €500 ERF seat that has passed the Swedish Plus test IS a lot safer than a €100 car seat which hasn’t - it’s one area where you are actually paying for the extra safety features
    And a 100 Euro that has passed it is safer than a 500 Euro that hasn’t. See where I’m going. Price means nothing.

I don’t think the RSA check it fits staff are independent.

And a 100 Euro that has passed it is safer than a 500 Euro that hasn’t. See where I’m going. Price means nothing.

I don’t think the RSA check it fits staff are independent.

You will not find a €100 car seat that has passed the Swedish plus test. Sometimes price does mean something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

100% agree
    At the ante natal class we had a rep from rsa and also someone from tony kealeys and they advised us on what seats were the safer options and explained why, it wasn’t just sales patter either

Saw a ted talk a while back which showed a study that demonstrated that regular lap and shoulder seat belts are as safe and preventative as car seats for kids 2 and up.
    For kids below that yes, the car seat wins but I'd warrant no RSA instructor will tell you a seatbelt is just as safe as a car seat for your two year old.
    Just because they aren't salesman doesn't mean they aren't biased.

seannash wrote: »
    Saw a ted talk a while back which showed a study that demonstrated that regular lap and shoulder seat belts are as safe and preventative as car seats for kids 2 and up.
    For kids below that yes, the car seat wins but I'd warrant no RSA instructor will tell you a seatbelt is just as safe as a car seat for your two year old.
    Just because they aren't salesman doesn't mean they aren't biased.

It sounds easy to keep 2 year olds in standard seatbelts rather than 5 point. I can’t wait to try it!

• Advertisement

Also they would be way too short - the shoulder strap would be more likely to decapitate the child than stop them safely in a collision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Also they would be way too short - the shoulder strap would be more likely to decapitate the child than stop them safely in a collision

Not according to the data

https://www.ted.com/talks/steven_levitt_on_child_carseats/up-next?language=en

Now am I going to use a car seat for my child, absolutely but it does show you that sometimes we don't get all the information.

This is totally derailing the thread, sorry OP. That one study is 13 years old. There’s lots done since that tell us that our children are safer in car seats- especially rear facing car seats until they’re at least 4 y.o. After that age, they’re no safer in a forward facing harnessed seat than they would be in a high backed booster with a three point safety belt.
    I’m Sweden, for example, it’s actually illegal to forward face a child before they turn four, and remarkably few Swedish children have died in RTAs in the last 30 years (I think it’s one, but I stand to be corrected on that)

Advertisement