Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reselling unwanted baby stuff

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

ted1 wrote: »
    In fairness to the RSA they are a joke of an agency. And I wouldn’t rate their advice. ( msybevits beacuse I’m a cyclists and they are particularly bad here )

Look it a 500 Euro seat that swivels is handy and convenient but it’s no safer than a hundred euro seat that doesn’t.

*providing they meet the same standards

RSA don’t mention any brands in there documents

It’s fitting and standards.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Safety%20for%20kids/Child%20Safety%20in%20Cars%20English.pdf

The people who work on the RSA Check it Fits campaign will recommend certain brands when speaking to them - and will recommend extended rear facing as it is a lot safer. A €500 ERF seat that has passed the Swedish Plus test IS a lot safer than a €100 car seat which hasn’t - it’s one area where you are actually paying for the extra safety features

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The people who work on the RSA Check it Fits campaign will recommend certain brands when speaking to them - and will recommend extended rear facing as it is a lot safer. A €500 ERF seat that has passed the Swedish Plus test IS a lot safer than a €100 car seat which hasn’t - it’s one area where you are actually paying for the extra safety features
    And a 100 Euro that has passed it is safer than a 500 Euro that hasn’t. See where I’m going. Price means nothing.

I don’t think the RSA check it fits staff are independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

ted1 wrote: »
    And a 100 Euro that has passed it is safer than a 500 Euro that hasn’t. See where I’m going. Price means nothing.

I don’t think the RSA check it fits staff are independent.

You will not find a €100 car seat that has passed the Swedish plus test. Sometimes price does mean something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

OmegaGene wrote: »
    100% agree
    At the ante natal class we had a rep from rsa and also someone from tony kealeys and they advised us on what seats were the safer options and explained why, it wasn’t just sales patter either

Saw a ted talk a while back which showed a study that demonstrated that regular lap and shoulder seat belts are as safe and preventative as car seats for kids 2 and up.
    For kids below that yes, the car seat wins but I'd warrant no RSA instructor will tell you a seatbelt is just as safe as a car seat for your two year old.
    Just because they aren't salesman doesn't mean they aren't biased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

seannash wrote: »
    Saw a ted talk a while back which showed a study that demonstrated that regular lap and shoulder seat belts are as safe and preventative as car seats for kids 2 and up.
    For kids below that yes, the car seat wins but I'd warrant no RSA instructor will tell you a seatbelt is just as safe as a car seat for your two year old.
    Just because they aren't salesman doesn't mean they aren't biased.

It sounds easy to keep 2 year olds in standard seatbelts rather than 5 point. I can’t wait to try it!

• Advertisement

Also they would be way too short - the shoulder strap would be more likely to decapitate the child than stop them safely in a collision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Also they would be way too short - the shoulder strap would be more likely to decapitate the child than stop them safely in a collision

Not according to the data

https://www.ted.com/talks/steven_levitt_on_child_carseats/up-next?language=en

Now am I going to use a car seat for my child, absolutely but it does show you that sometimes we don't get all the information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

This is totally derailing the thread, sorry OP. That one study is 13 years old. There’s lots done since that tell us that our children are safer in car seats- especially rear facing car seats until they’re at least 4 y.o. After that age, they’re no safer in a forward facing harnessed seat than they would be in a high backed booster with a three point safety belt.
    I’m Sweden, for example, it’s actually illegal to forward face a child before they turn four, and remarkably few Swedish children have died in RTAs in the last 30 years (I think it’s one, but I stand to be corrected on that)

Advertisement