Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gender equality in exam question

• 02-12-2018 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

There's a question in a recent C.S.P.E. exam which starts of stating that Male soccer players get paid more than female soccer players. The question then asks what is your opinion? Explain your point of view.

A student answered it by saying:

Male soccer has a bigger audience of both Males and females and can therefore afford to pay more from advertising revenue.

It's a 3 mark question. How many Mark's would you give the student? I'm not the teacher btw, I just found it very interesting.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Valid, as an explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭mulbot

Zenify wrote: »
    There's a question in a recent C.S.P.E. exam which starts of stating that Male soccer players get paid more than female soccer players. The question then asks what is your opinion? Explain your point of view.

Male soccer has a bigger audience of both Males and females and can therefore afford to pay more from advertising revenue.

It's a 3 mark question. How many Mark's would you give the student? I'm not the teacher btw, I just found it very interesting.

Full mark, as it's the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

full marks. its accurate.a lot more people watch male soccer than female. same with rugby. at wimbledon tje mens finals probably draw a bigger audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's a 3 mark question. How many Mark's would you give the student?
    Mark Twain, Mark Wahlberg and Mark Anthony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How is this about gender equality, unless you subscribe to equality of outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

My answer would be:

Female soccer players get paid less than male soccer players because they play against female players, who are smaller and therefore easier to play against than male players. Male players, on the other hand, get paid more because they have to play against male players, who are bigger and therefore more difficult to play against than female players.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

The teacher had asked my opinion on it and I said at least 2 marks but he is only giving 1. Just wanted to see what others thought.

The teacher had asked my opinion on it and I said at least 2 marks but he is only giving 1. Just wanted to see what others thought.

Did the Teacher explain why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

He must be a left-wing Liberal nightmare for the students.:rolleyes:

That answer was factually correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Wouldn't 3 marks require three different points/examples?

You only gave one point hence the one mark.

Not at all a left-wing liberal, I'd say its because they probably focus on fixing inequality in class and not on justifying it (I'm not saying there is inequality). That's just my guess. I think the question isn't worded right. The section of the book is gender inequality.

Wouldn't 3 marks require three different points/examples?

You only gave one point hence the one mark.

I'm not the student here but I suppose I'll have to except that due to my spelling errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not at all a left-wing liberal, I'd say its because they probably focus on fixing inequality in class and not on justifying it (I'm not saying there is inequality). That's just my guess. I think the question isn't worded right. The section of the book is gender inequality.

There is no inequality in the subject raised. It's supply and demand. More people want to watch male soccer players and so they get paid more to keep them at the club/in the league

The entire topic, in the context of a modern first-world nation, is subjective.

Your teacher friend is letting his own personal bias influence what was a factually correct answer and if he can't view it objectively he should excuse himself from marking the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I feel sorry for students these days. That question and the marking scheme were designed to create NPC's. The only way to get full marks is to give an answer that is factually incorrect and/or that the student does not believe. Brainwashing by the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask your teacher to promote more women in farming, forestry, waste handling and mining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

3. Thats what happens.

biko wrote: »
    Ask your teacher to promote more women in farming, forestry, waste handling and mining.

Wound not bother to engage with this deranged asshat, to be honest.

A good old dose of turbolax in his coffee might do the trick.:D

Edit that is a joke by the way just in case any joyless lefties take me seriously.

biko wrote: »

Never heard a feminist complain about the term binmen funny that.

I feel sorry for students these days. That question and the marking scheme were designed to create NPC's. The only way to get full marks is to give an answer that is factually incorrect and/or that the student does not believe. Brainwashing by the state.

There was always a little of that going on. Not as bad as it is now but it did happen.

Just a simple example.

I wanted to be a journalist and had to do honours English.

If you were answering a question on Shakespeare or poetry your teacher would give you a prepared answer or suggest a way of answering it.

Thinking for your self wasn't really an option

• Advertisement

The teacher did state that the answer is completely factually correct. He just knows that's not the answer the question wanted. I think he's trying to do what he is supposed to do and not what he believes.

The teacher did state that the answer is completely factually correct. He just knows that's not the answer the question wanted. I think he's trying to do what he is supposed to do and not what he believes.

dfca2323356b1d820de502ebae205b14.gif

If a student provides an answer that is factually accurate how can you possiby deduct them marks.

i dont get it

If a student provides an answer that is factually accurate how can you possiby deduct them marks.

i dont get it

By living in a crazy time in a crazy nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

i dont get it

Used to often happen to me when I'd look up the answer at the back of my maths book, rather than working it out properly with all the numbers and letters 'n stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What's the approved textbook answer? Failing to mention the "patriarchy" loses marks no doubt.

The student's reply isn't really an opinion though, is it? It's a statement as to why the difference in money exists, and it's a valid point but if they didn't reinforce it with something like "therefore I don't believe this inequality is a matter of discrimination against women but simply a matter of supply and demand" then I can understand why it wouldn't get the full three marks.

But sure, it's easier to just believe that it's part of a big leftie-liberal conspiracy and that any answer other than "DATS NOT FAYR CUZ DEY SHUD ALL B DA SAYM" is marked down because men are obviously evil.

Although, with that said, it's fair to say that the teacher is not approaching it in the right way if this bit is true:

"The teacher did state that the answer is completely factually correct. He just knows that's not the answer the question wanted. I think he's trying to do what he is supposed to do and not what he believes."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The simple fact is that's there way more money in men's soccer, therefore the wages are higher - if women's soccer generated the same amount of money then they would be earning similar - it's basic economics and has feck all to do with gender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

The student's reply isn't really an opinion though, is it? It's a statement as to why the difference in money exists, and it's a valid point but if they didn't reinforce it with something like "therefore I don't believe this inequality is a matter of discrimination against women but simply a matter of supply and demand" then I can understand why it wouldn't get the full three marks.

But sure, it's easier to just believe that it's part of a big leftie-liberal conspiracy and that any answer other than "DATS NOT FAYR CUZ DEY SHUD ALL B DA SAYM" is marked down because men are obviously evil.

why not explain that then

• Advertisement

The real lesson learned:

See the world as it actually is, not how you want it to be.

I believe it what reason do I have to doubt it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The answer is a bit short and doesn't cover the full scope of the question.
    I don't know what age group this is for but 1 seems reasonable enough. I'd give it 1.5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Love to see a 3 point answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The question asks for the persons opinion. How can their opinion be wrong???? If they gave their opinion regardless of what it is then they have completed the task asked of them and should be given 3 marks.

The person marking the paper is clearly as ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Full marks for having an opinion and explaining it.

• Advertisement

Love to see a 3 point answer

Please, I just had my supper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

1 mark. He didn't give an opinion as he was asked but he gave a fact that would have supported an opinion.

The question asks for the persons opinion. How can their opinion be wrong???? If they gave their opinion regardless of what it is then they have completed the task asked of them and should be given 3 marks.

The person marking the paper is clearly as ass.

Yeah, an opinion is valued for its logic of argument, not for whether the marker agrees with it. Right?

1 mark. He didn't give an opinion as he was asked but he gave a fact that would have supported an opinion.

Fair point actually...

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Fair point actually...

Yes if this student had given an opinion he probably would have been suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The question asked for his opinion and he gave his answer. Does he have to say ‘In my opinion....’ in order to get full marks? Surely by writing anything whether fact or not implies that it’s their opinion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The question asked for his opinion and he gave his answer. Does he have to say ‘In my opinion....’ in order to get full marks? Surely by writing anything whether fact or not implies that it’s their opinion.

The development of the argument is where the points are scored.

'This sucks' or 'this is great' are opinions but essentially worthless ones.

Again, I don't know what age the students are but a 3 point answer would first point out the false equivalence of male and female players which makes no concession at all to the level played at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

need more info

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

That's not an opinion though, that's the actual reason. If I was to ask you "In your opinion why did we have so much rain last week?" and you said "It's because a lot of water fell from the sky" that wouldn't be your opinion, it would be the actual reason.

That's not an opinion though, that's the actual reason. If I was to ask you "In your opinion why did we have so much rain last week?" and you said "It's because a lot of water fell from the sky" that wouldn't be your opinion, it would be the actual reason.

The question didn't ask WHY there was a difference,so his answer was an expression of his opinion,it's coincidence that is also happens to be fact.

I dont want to post up other answers as it's probably not ethical. Some of the points include:

equal effort should involve equal pay etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I dont want to post up other answers as it's probably not ethical. Some of the points include:

They don't even do that for people who make a living walking down a catwalk!

I had really bad constipation last year and the effort and pain I went through to pass that monster was unbelievable.

Do you think I should have received paid maternity leave?

Wimbledon tennis is a clear example of this not happening-complete inequality for Men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

It's a one point answer simply because the student makes only one point. Fairly simple in my view. Their point is correct but it's still only one point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement