Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van insurance

Options
  • 02-12-2018 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Been looking to get insured on a van and haven’t had much luck as they all want VAT numbers (I am registered as a sole trader and 100% uptodate on all taxes)

Anyone have any luck getting insurance with a van with these stipulations?

The prospective van will be used for part time landscaping.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sole traders frequently have VAT numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Get a VAT number? You need it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

troyzer wrote: »
    Get a VAT number? You need it anyway.

Not if he's turning over less than €70 k a year, or whatever is the current threshold.

Ask for written proof that they won't insure you without a vat number and state that you will be below the threshold . Ring revenue too they are quiet helpful without giving you the third degree.

If all else fails buy an ifor Williams or brian James trailer ,a tow bar, and rent secure storage space in a yard for trailer storage, to get you going. The trailer can be stored full or empty which will give you extra options time wise.

Good luck with the business you'll fly and get fit and wealthy, good to hear from you again .!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Bigus wrote: »
    Not if he's turning over less than €70 k a year, or whatever is the current threshold.

Ask for written proof that they won't insure you without a vat number and state that you will be below the threshold . Ring revenue too they are quiet helpful without giving you the third degree.

If all else fails buy an ifor Williams or brian James trailer ,a tow bar, and rent secure storage space in a yard for trailer storage, to get you going. The trailer can be stored full or empty which will give you extra options time wise.

Good luck with the business you'll fly and get fit and wealthy, good to hear from you again .!

It's about €37k and that's turnover. There are very few full time sole traders who would be exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

I've had commercial insurance for over 15 years now and have never been asked for a vat number. Try mike murphy brokers i'm with them at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

troyzer wrote: »
    It's about €37k and that's turnover. There are very few full time sole traders who would be exempt.

It's a part time venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Go to a well established independent broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Call Quote Devil.

I got fully comp open drive with full stepback for a very good price on a 2017 Navara crewcab.

Underwritten by Axa

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I Was VB wrote: »
    Been looking to get insured on a van and haven’t had much luck as they all want VAT numbers (I am registered as a sole trader and 100% uptodate on all taxes)

Anyone have any luck getting insurance with a van with these stipulations?

The prospective van will be used for part time landscaping.

Give them your PPS Number. In the vast majority of cases a sole trader's vat no. is his/hers vat no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Are you still taxiing VB? I still have pics of your Corona from ATWR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Truckermal wrote: »
    Are you still taxiing VB? I still have pics of your Corona from ATWR!

Yes I’m still taxiing amongst other things. Good old corona is living in Meath now ❤️ Sure send on a pikky of the old girl.

467777.JPG

467778.jpg

It wouldn't let me send attachments via PM so this it sorry for off topic but best weekend I had in year's! Glad to see you still around though...:D:D

Advertisement