Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automate heating for external home office

Options
  • 02-12-2018 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

Currently heat external office via a 2kw electric heater however even though we thought we had it well insulated it is very cold in the mornings, generally only a couple of degrees higher than the outside temp.

So as the mornings are getting colder I want automate the set up so I can turn it on so that it is warm enough for me by the time I start work at 9am.

Is there an all in one wifi plug with built in temp sensor that could do the job for me?

At the moment I'm looking at going with a wifi plug and a senor like this

https://www.gearbest.com/access-control/pp_626702.html

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

funnyname wrote: »
    Currently heat external office via a 2kw electric heater however even though we thought we had it well insulated it is very cold in the mornings, generally only a couple of degrees higher than the outside temp.

So as the mornings are getting colder I want automate the set up so I can turn it on so that it is warm enough for me by the time I start work at 9am.

Is there an all in one wifi plug with built in temp sensor that could do the job for me?

At the moment I'm looking at going with a wifi plug and a senor like this

https://www.gearbest.com/access-control/pp_626702.html

Any suggestions gratefully received.

You would need to check the power usage of the heater you have to make sure you wouldn't be overloading it but something like this may work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

would you not just get a tp link plug and set a schedule ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

Cyrus wrote: »
    would you not just get a tp link plug and set a schedule ?

Ideally I want something I can control from an app on my phone wrt room temp of the office in case I have to go back to the office in the evening etc.

Something simple that's plug and play.

THE ALM wrote: »
    You would need to check the power usage of the heater you have to make sure you wouldn't be overloading it but something like this may work for you.

Thanks but looks too complicated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

THE ALM wrote: »

If using Sonoff devices to control heating loads it is best to get the Sonoff to switch a contractor. Directly switching a load such as this (I am guessing at least 1.5 kW) is risky with a Chinese product that has not been CE certified.

I would have little faith in the supposed ratings for these products. It is simply not worth the risk in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Sonoff do a 16 amp version that should be fine for a resistive load that normally uses a 13amp plug. What size heater are you using? It is rated for 3.5kw so probably look at 2kw heater to be safe. It can also take a temperature / humidity sensor

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-th.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Lucifer wrote: »
    Sonoff do a 16 amp version that should be fine for a resistive load that normally uses a 13amp plug.

If it was CE certified I would agree, the problem is it is not.
    Chinese devices are not subjected to the rigorous testing that the equivalent devices for the EU are. This is a well known fact. We have all heard of cases of Chinese phone chargers causing fires.

Having the Sonoff switching a contactor provides the end user with exactly the same functionality but the load current passing through the Sonoff contact is reduced dramatically. As heat generated is a function of the square of the current the risk of overheating is mitigated to a large extent.

Thanks but I have absolutely no idea how that would work for what I want to achieve.

How would I integrate that with my small 2kw fan heater? Would I cut the lead in half and then wire that module into the portion of the lead that goes to the fan and the other half that goes to the plug?

Sorry for my total ignorance!
    Lucifer wrote: »
    Sonoff do a 16 amp version that should be fine for a resistive load that normally uses a 13amp plug. What size heater are you using? It is rated for 3.5kw so probably look at 2kw heater to be safe. It can also take a temperature / humidity sensor

https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-th.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its prob more then you want to spend but there are heaters with built in smart controls available as well

• Advertisement

Thanks but I have absolutely no idea how that would work for what I want to achieve.

How would I integrate that with my small 2kw fan heater? Would I cut the lead in half and then wire that module into the portion of the lead that goes to the fan and the other half that goes to the plug?

Sorry for my total ignorance!

Yes that would work for what you want. Have a look at a YouTube video about them

How would I integrate that with my small 2kw fan heater?

There are a number of ways to do this. Assuming that the office has it's own distribution board a neat solution would be to install the Sonoff and associated kit in this the board.

Another solution would be to mount a small enclosure on the wall to house the Sonoff and associated kit, this could then switch the supply to the socket that is used for the heater.

With the above 2 solutions the Sonoff could be used to switch different appliances on and off (whatever is plugged into the socket). So for example if you were on holidays you could switch a lamp plugged into the Sonoff controlled socket on and off so as to give the impression that someone was there.

If you give the Sonoff device to an electrician they will figure it out for you.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057924783/1/#post108502637

Have a look at this. Someone else using one for the same purpose, might be a help.

Just had a look at this https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-th.html

It has CE symbol on it and the website lists

Certification: CE, RoHS, FCC

Advertisement