Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money taken from account but not dispensed (foreign ATM)

Options
  • 03-12-2018 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I tried to withdraw money from an ATM in Central America and it did not issue me with cash or a receipt and the ATM went into "requires maintenance" mode. When I checked my online banking statement the money was withdrawn. Can someone please get in touch so I can provide details because I really can't afford to enter into a lengthy transaction dispute.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

Hi all,

I tried to withdraw money from an ATM in Central America and it did not issue me with cash or a receipt and the ATM went into "requires maintenance" mode. When I checked my online banking statement the money was withdrawn. Can someone please get in touch so I can provide details because I really can't afford to enter into a lengthy transaction dispute.

Thanks.

Hi TimetoShine,

Thank you for getting in touch.

When you make a withdrawal at an ATM and the funds are not dispensed but still appear as a debit on your account, this will generally rectify itself once the ATM recalibrates and this normally takes one working day. However, as the ATM was in Central America this process will take 5 working days before the funds will be returned to your account.

If after 5 working days the funds have not returned to your account you need to contact the Bank linked to the ATM to claim this back. If they dispute this then come back to us and we can lodge a dispute with the bank for you. It shouldn't come to this though, we would expect the funds back in your account in 5 working days.

Many Thanks.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Hi John,

Unfortunately the transaction is now coming up as "completed" in my online banking statement. This is happening to a lot of travellers here, I have already contacted the bank and they said that they never do anything about it and that it's up to me to contact my own bank to dispute and resolve the issue. There is video evidence of me not receiving my money but again they always refuse to refund people and insist that we do it through our own bank and Visa.

Thank you,
    Adam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Hi John,

Unfortunately the transaction is now coming up as "completed" in my online banking statement. This is happening to a lot of travellers here, I have already contacted the bank and they said that they never do anything about it and that it's up to me to contact my own bank to dispute and resolve the issue. There is video evidence of me not receiving my money but again they always refuse to refund people and insist that we do it through our own bank and Visa.

Thank you,
    Adam.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for coming back to us here. Can we ask that you raise this query by logging into your account through a Pc/Laptop , Select Service Desk and Ask a Question one of our advisors will be more than happy to raise an ATM dispute on your behalf and look into this for you. Alternatively you can call our customer service Team on 0818 365 365 or 00353 1 4044000(if abroad).

Please feel free to get in touch with us if we can help you with anything else.

Thanks Jen

Done. Thank you.

Hi Jen,

I spoke to the bank here today and managed to obtain proof that the transaction failed. The service desk has already raised the dispute for me but I'm quote confident that having this too will expedite the process and/or ensure that it is successful. The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way of attaching files on the service desk portal. Can you advise as to how I can send this document to them?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi Jen,

I spoke to the bank here today and managed to obtain proof that the transaction failed. The service desk has already raised the dispute for me but I'm quote confident that having this too will expedite the process and/or ensure that it is successful. The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be any way of attaching files on the service desk portal. Can you advise as to how I can send this document to them?

Thanks.

Thanks for getting back in touch with us here.
    Please be assured that once you have raised this request with our advisers through either section they'll be able to get all information needed to request a refund for this transaction including the proof that you received today so there would be no need to pass it on to us. This process would be done fully through secured channels between the two banks.
    Thanks again,
    Darren.

Advertisement