Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recent VDSL improvement on sync speed

• 03-12-2018 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

I’ve seen a recent increase on my attainable speed on eir VDSL recently.

Last few years max attainable speed was 70mb syncing at about 68/20.

My attainable speed has recently jumped to 80/20 with a good increase in SNR margins.

Not sure if it could be an improvement on vectoring or some other technology.

Anyone else see this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

No changes in vectoring.

Have OpenEir done work in the area you noticed ?

Have you changed your router or anything else ?

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Cork981

Marlow wrote: »
    No changes in vectoring.

Have OpenEir done work in the area you noticed ?

Have you changed your router or anything else ?

/M

No change from what I can see, all cabling is underground to the cabinet so possibly they’ve replaced a length of cable along the line somewhere.

Firmware version is V100R001C59B050 on the F2000.

Prequels haven’t updated to allow for the 80/20 profile yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Cork981 wrote: »
    No change from what I can see, all cabling is underground to the cabinet so possibly they’ve replaced a length of cable along the line somewhere.

Firmware version is V100R001C59B050 on the F2000.

Prequels haven’t updated to allow for the 80/20 profile yet though.

Just a guess but is SIRO live in your area? If a lot of subscribers left VDSL services for FTTH there may be reduced crosstalk in the cable leading to higher SNR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Cork981

Just a guess but is SIRO live in your area? If a lot of subscribers left VDSL services for FTTH there may be reduced crosstalk in the cable leading to higher SNR.

Unfortunately not yet but getting very close just down the hill from me at the moment.

Virgin are very established in the area so possibly they’ve taken a chunk of customers from my cab recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Cork981 wrote: »
    Unfortunately not yet but getting very close just down the hill from me at the moment.

Virgin are very established in the area so possibly they’ve taken a chunk of customers from my cab recently.

I suspect that's the reason so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They'd want to have stolen a large chunk, a typically expensive provider I'd be slow to think they'd have swallowed 100 users off a cab.

It could be the opposite, VM turning off head ends. HFC has been known to cause severe interference on xDSL here before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Or it could’ve been a fault there somewhere for years that went unnoticed/unfixed. When I was on ADSL my download/upload speed halved from 3mb to 1.5mb for over a year. It got fixed in Q4 2017. Thankfully on 1000mb FTTH now. I don’t blame eircom as Vodafone kept digging their heels blaming it on contention despite the roll out of VDSL in the exchange at the time and my neighbours speeds remaining the same.

Advertisement