Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HSE No Longer Allowed to Refer to Patients as "Love" or "Dear"

• 03-12-2018 8:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

As per Newstalk bulletin this morning, all HSE staff have been banned from using these terms. I don't really give a fiddlers myself but wondering what others think? Do you think it promotes a more professional demeanour? Do you think it strips back a bit of the caring approach and makes it more of an impersonal and rigid experience. Tell me your thoughts pet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Politically correct nonsense. A lot of elderly patients in particular would appreciate these terms. A bit of warmth and affection never hurt anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Omackeral wrote: »
    As per Newstalk bulletin this morning, all HSE staff have been banned from using these terms. I don't really give a fiddlers myself but wondering what others think? Do you think it promotes a more professional demeanour? Do you think it strips back a bit of the caring approach and makes it more of an impersonal and rigid experience. Tell me your thoughts pet.

My partner has been in hospital for the last month , very ill. She finds being being referred to as "dear" as condescending and patronising.
    Good to see action being taken on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A lot of elderly patients in particular would appreciate these terms. A bit of warmth and affection never hurt anybody.
    She finds being being referred to as "dear" as condescending and patronising.

That's that cleared up so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not a bad idea when you think about it. Definitely helps with the depersonalisation,as it says in the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

She finds being being referred to as "dear" as condescending and patronising.
    Is that when used by the hospital staff or by you?

(And sorry to hear she is ill.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

You ok hun ? XOXO!

Serious part - I'm middle aged and don't find it offensive. Helps with the interpersonal connection between patients and nursing staff. Still professional in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

More evidence of the excessive amount of useless mandarins in the HSE, haven't they got more important things to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This should be patient-driven. If any signficant proportion of patients find it demeaning, disempowering or disrespectful to be address as "love" or "dear", then it's a bad practice and should be discouraged. Whether you or I think they are right to find it demeaning, etc, is beside the point.

I take the point about trying to tackle the perception that the HSE is rigid or inhuman, but there are other ways to do that. Like using people's actual names, for instance. Or like just being helpful, supportive and sympathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In Yorkshire it is "petal" or "flower"

fuss about nothing

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This should be patient-driven. If any signficant proportion of patients find it demeaning, disempowering or disrespectful to be address as "love" or "dear", then it's a bad practice and should be discouraged. Whether you or I think they are right to find it demeaning, etc, is beside the point.

I take the point about trying to tackle the perception that the HSE is rigid or inhuman, but there are other ways to do that. Like using people's actual names, for instance. Or like just being helpful, supportive and sympathetic.

They've been instructed to use people's names.

Remembering everyone's given the turn over of patients might be a pain though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Gotta love the HSE with upper management making those hard every day decisions that save lives and reinforcing why our health care system is the best in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Huns running HSE ban use of ‘love’ or ‘dear’!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

kneemos wrote: »
    They've been instructed to use people's names.

Remembering everyone's given the turn over of patients might be a pain though.
    Precisely. If the system is organised so that the staff can give the patients so little time and attention that they cannot remember their names, that would explain why the service comes across as rigid and inhuman. Trying to mask that with diminutives like "love" and "dear" is just papering over the cracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Huns running HSE ban use of ‘love’ or ‘dear’!!

U OK, hun?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

FFS. Because the HSE has no more pressing issues to be concerning themselves with....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Good to see the HSE focusing on the really important issues...

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Precisely. If the system is organised so that the staff can give the patients so little time and attention that they cannot remember their names, that would explain why the service comes across as rigid and inhuman. Trying to mask that with diminutives like "love" and "dear" is just papering over the cracks.

Surely you look to the root of the problem as to whythey don't get to spend enough time with them, e.g an over stretched system due to misallocation of resources..Fix that maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

My partner has been in hospital for the last month , very ill. She finds being being referred to as "dear" as condescending and patronising.

Are you ****ing kidding me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

nthclare wrote: »
    Are you ****ing kidding me ?

No.
    She finds the expression patronising and dismissive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Graces7 wrote: »

fuss about nothing

In Nottingham its 'duck'

• Advertisement

No.

Well I hope she recovers soon, a month is a long time to be in hospital.

If I was being looked after properly and they called me a grumpy aul fecker I wouldn't mind.

Isn't it amazing how people differ as myself I'm old school and can accept people mean well.....

nthclare wrote: »
    Well I hope she recovers soon, a month is a long time to be in hospital.

If I was being looked after properly and they called me a grumpy aul fecker I wouldn't mind.

Isn't it amazing how people differ as myself I'm old school and can accept people mean well.....

More for the staff's benefit regarding attitude than the patients I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So "sugar tits" is still okay then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No.

#MeToo

If you cannot be arsed remembering my name (which is usually on the chart in front of you), then I don't trust you to remember relevant medical details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nothing says personal care and attention like a doctor or nurse having to get your file to check who you are and use your name. Doesn't sound forced at all.

"hello................ "eh what town are we in tonight? Ah yeah, Springfield?" .............. Springfield, we love you, you're the best crowd on the tour "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Spent several months in hospital myself with life changing injuries. No one , not even once, was in any way patronising. Everyone, from the cleaning staff to the surgical team were kind and considerate and professional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Baybay

Another irritant is the use of we. As in, how are we doing today?

Find that & love or hun so patronising, dismissive & depersonalising in hospitals & elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Baybay wrote: »

Find that & love or hun so patronising, dismissive & depersonalising in hospitals & elsewhere.

I think they should use patient number. Would be way better and won't upset any of the offended people.

"Patient #P3568299, how are you feeling today?"

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I think they should use patient number. Would be way better and won't upset any of the offended people.

"Patient #P3568299, how are you feeling today?"

• Advertisement

Alright love, how are we doing today dear.....

My opinion of that is, they're here to do a job if I want to feel victimised there's something seriouslllly wrong with me....

As long as I'm getting looked after I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Baybay wrote: »

I agree with both of those, and you can add to that using childish terms for stuff like "tummy" for abdomen or "bugs" or "germs" instead of bacteria or viruses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Graces7 wrote: »
    k99_64 wrote: »
    In Nottingham its 'duck'

In Australia it's "cunt"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Another week , another were all so offended by two simple words used by healthcare professionals.

#getafeckinglife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

This is going to free up so many bed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

No.

People like your partner are part of everything that is wrong in this world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Politically correct nonsense. A lot of elderly patients in particular would appreciate these terms. A bit of warmth and affection never hurt anybody.
    I knew this would trigger the snowflakes. :D

It's been presented in a way that makes it sound like PC nonsense, but it's actually a quality of care initiative.

One of the problems Irish healthcare has always had is that it's traditionally been run like a school. Doctors and nurses are the teachers, patients are the children and need to just STFU and take what they're given.

The medical evidence shows that patients who feel involved in their own health provision, who feel adequately informed about what's going on and who feel like it's a collaborative effort, have better outcomes than patients who feel passive, subordinate to the staff, or uninformed about their care.

Thus, you can see how the use of words like "love" and "dear", "pet", etc, are condescending terms that are likely to make a patient feel less positive aout their care and less involved. If you are trivialised by a health provider through these words, then communication will begin to break down, and patient outcomes decline.

Of course, this is just part of an entire range of measures by the HSE to improve communications between patients and health professionals. But naturally a few snowflakes have jumped on this specific one as an example of "PC gone mad omgz my 90 year old granny loves being called dear when will these lunatics stop!!!1".

You'll also note that the use of bed numbers or illnesses to refer to patients is being discontinued. But, no way, people aren't up in arms about that. I wonder why that is....? It starts with an A, ends with your Da has a gen in the middle.

This is all about ensuring that patients feel involved in their own healthcare provision and respected as an equal by health staff. Because that results in better healthcare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What about the radical idea of asking people how they would like to be addressed, Mrs, Mr, or Miss or by their first name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mariaalice wrote: »
    What about the radical idea of asking people how they would like to be addressed, Mrs, Mr, or Miss or by their first name.
    This is actually a nice idea, it would certainly put the patient at ease. But you can see how it might be difficult in the midst of rounds to ensure that each patient gets called by their "preferred" title.

"Hi Peter, how are you today?"

"Doctor, my chart clearly says that I preferred to be address as Hotrod Bananahammock!"

So going for a flat approach to all patients is safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m more curious about people’s ideas of what they imagine is professionalism. For me at least, professionalism means being able to be yourself, rather than behaving like you’ve got a thermometer up your arse.

I can only hope there isn’t some jobsworth inspector following the nurses around making sure they’re adhering to this new policy. It’s introduction at a time when superbugs are rife in hospitals is typical of the kind of mindset that fiddles while Rome burns.

I would hate for anyone to think they couldn’t be themselves, I’d certainly never be so petty as to complain about pet names. They’re terms of endearment, be different if they were intended maliciously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

mariaalice wrote: »

Excellent idea , I'd like to be referred to as Battalion Sergeant Major Corners of Hells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

It is also to stop patients being referred to e.g the one with the hip.

I hate being called Love, dear, hun, pet.... I would feel like the care is more personal if they called me by my name because then I would feel that they have taken the time to read my chart.

Would I be offended or upset if I was called the above, no.

There is no right or wrong answer here. It’s individual preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Not really bothered Dear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

No.

She's not worried about the actual level of care, so. She seems a bit thin-skinned.
    Sad world we live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

She's not worried about the actual level of care, so. She seems a bit thin-skinned.
    Sad world we live in.

A sad world that you live in where everything is a false dichotomy. It must be exhausting for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

A sad world that you live in where everything is a false dichotomy. It must be exhausting for you.

Calm down there love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

There also no longer allowed to use the words "Boys" and "Lads"

Come on now Lads

You keep using that word...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You keep using that word...

Dont worry about it love, you will figure it out one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

seamus wrote: »
    I knew this would trigger the snowflakes. :D

It's been presented in a way that makes it sound like PC nonsense, but it's actually a quality of care initiative.

One of the problems Irish healthcare has always had is that it's traditionally been run like a school. Doctors and nurses are the teachers, patients are the children and need to just STFU and take what they're given.

The medical evidence shows that patients who feel involved in their own health provision, who feel adequately informed about what's going on and who feel like it's a collaborative effort, have better outcomes than patients who feel passive, subordinate to the staff, or uninformed about their care.

Thus, you can see how the use of words like "love" and "dear", "pet", etc, are condescending terms that are likely to make a patient feel less positive aout their care and less involved. If you are trivialised by a health provider through these words, then communication will begin to break down, and patient outcomes decline.

Of course, this is just part of an entire range of measures by the HSE to improve communications between patients and health professionals. But naturally a few snowflakes have jumped on this specific one as an example of "PC gone mad omgz my 90 year old granny loves being called dear when will these lunatics stop!!!1".

You'll also note that the use of bed numbers of illnesses to refer to patients is being discontinued. But, no way, people aren't up in arms about that. I wonder why that is....? It starts with an A, ends with your Da has a gen in the middle.

This is all about ensuring that patients feel involved in their own healthcare provision and respected as an equal by health staff. Because that results in better healthcare.

Long winded way of explaining the idea is entirely founded upon political correctness. It’s true that patients who feel more involved in their own healthcare experience better outcomes, so why introduce these policies then rather than allow patients to pull someone up on it themselves? If someone has an issue with their treatment, let them make a complaint, rather than introducing yet more policies which make assumptions on patients behalf?

Dont worry about it love, you will figure it out one day.

Well, it's not an either or, but more "my, my, what big, clever words you know!"
    Well impressed, so I am.
    I'm anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement