Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraudsters Intercepted my Debit Card & PIN

• 03-12-2018 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

So on Friday evening I discovered that my newly issued debit card and PIN had been intercepted in the mail and had been used by fraudsters to withdraw €4000 from my new AIB account.

I only opened the account a little over a week ago so am raging.

I immediately cancelled the card and reported it to the AIB fraud department.

I have been advised that I will not be held liable for this and the funds should be returned to my account today.

My question is whether I am entitled to any form of compensation?

I find it ridiculous that someone was able to withdraw such a large amount of money from an ATM within such a short space of time. I had understood there to be a maximum withdrawal limit of €600 within a 24 hour period.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

So they got both the card and the pin number which would have been sent in 2 different envelopes at 2 different times?
    This means either someone in the postal system but probably more likely someone in the apartment block/house you live in?

Why would you think you would get compo?

I'd be thankful you are getting this
    I have been advised that I will not be held liable for this and the funds should be returned to my account today.
    I find it ridiculous that someone was able to withdraw such a large amount of money from an ATM within such a short space of time. I had understood there to be a maximum withdrawal limit of €600 within a 24 hour period.

I think you can withdraw a larger amount in the bank but CCTV should be able to help identify the culprits.
    600 just before midnight and 600 just after is what normally happens in these cases.

How many days before you noticed after opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RisingDamp

okidoki987 wrote: »
    So they got both the card and the pin number which would have been sent in 2 different envelopes at 2 different times?
    This means either someone in the postal system but probably more likely someone in the apartment block/house you live in?

Why would you think you would get compo?

I'd be thankful you are getting this

I think you can withdraw a larger amount in the bank but CCTV should be able to help identify the culprits.
    600 just before midnight and 600 just after is what normally happens in these cases.

How many days before you noticed after opening?

The account was a joint account opened with my wife. We had two cards issued in the post to our apartment and both were stolen. So two cards and two PINS were stolen. Obviously the mail was either stolen from our residence or intercepted at an earlier stage.

We received a text message on Friday evening asking if we had authorised a €1500 withdrawal from the account in Dublin City Centre. Following this i called AIB and cancelled the cards. I then found out that a further €2500 had been taken out from various other city centre locations within the space of two hours.

I queried how they could withdraw a lump sum of €1500 in one go and they told me "some ATM's have higher limits than others". That isn't very comforting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

RisingDamp wrote: »

Compensation for what? Your sense of entitlement is unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is worrying.
    Have the bank/an post/the gardai all been informed?
    To intercept 4 pieces of post requires some organisation and it would want to be established what exactly happened.

I would have thought this type of operation to be rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RisingDamp

kippy wrote: »
    This is worrying.
    Have the bank/an post/the gardai all been informed?
    To intercept 4 pieces of post requires some organisation and it would want to be established what exactly happened.

I would have thought this type of operation to be rare.

Yes Gardai have been informed.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Compensation for what? Your sense of entitlement is unbelievable.

AIB have been negligent in allowing a large sum of money to be withdrawn fraudulently from my account. An account that was only opened within the last week. I am merely querying my rights.

Your sense of outrage is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

RisingDamp wrote: »
    AIB have been negligent in allowing a large sum of money to be withdrawn fraudulently from my account. An account that was only opened within the last week. I am merely querying my rights.

I don't see what AIB could have done better. It's a sucky situation and seems like AIB is the real loser here since they have lost money. Hope the assholes are caught although there's a slim chance AIB recovers their money. Props to them for compensating you!

Chip + PIN is much more secure so situations like yours are extremely rare. Fraud detection algorithms are not trained to catch this since it's hard to train on a small data set. They have still managed to detect unusual activity and inform you.

If AIB cranks up sensitivity of their systems, will you be moaning how AIB does not let you use your money and will demand compensation based on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Well maybe there should be a mechanism that allows the user to activate the card when they receive it such as logging in to their account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Strange all pins and cards intercepted, they usually send the pin and card days apart so definitely seems likes something very organised. If your living in apartment block I'd contact management company to see if this has happened to anyone else, maybe the mailboxes are easy to access for fraudsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

Well maybe there should be a mechanism that allows the user to activate the card when they receive it such as logging in to their account?

I have a corporate card like this. Huge PITA every time I receive a new one as by the time I need a new one, I either forgot my password, or they changed website so I need to re-register, or the activation just does not work for unknown reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

All banks should have an app like Revolut. While I was waiting for my physical card, I disabled the card in the app. Couldn't be used in a bank, an ATM or online. It was useless to anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

I agree with you with Revolut, Cards are disabled until new receive the card. Also great to disable NFC and contactless feature on the card.

All Banks should have this feature. Plus a good idea is to protect all NFC cards with RFID blockers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭caviardreams

PTSB require you to activate your new card online or by phone - I actually think it's a good idea tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I can take out €1500 inside A.I.B. at the a.t.m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Sounds a little dubious to me. Must have been someone with access to the mail... surprising since both PIN and Card are sent separately. I suspect this is either someone in the immediate locality (if apartment mail) or inside an post.... compensation? Not really an issue as AIB could not have done much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If it was a new account surely the card required activation online/by phone?

You get no compensation. Why would you receive compensation for something that wasn't the banks fault? If I worked in the fraud department in fact I'd be wondering if you scammed the bank. New account and card and amazingly the card and PIN was stolen and loads of money taken.... Maybe your wife has secret gambling debts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Lol compensation...what has Ireland become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ffs. You reported the issue. The bank sorted the issue. Job done story over.

Compensation? Where’s my compensation for having read that shyte?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Compensation is where you suffered a loss. What loss did you suffer?

I'm surprised the bank are not investigating this further. New account, 4 pieces of post intercepted.

That they are readily covering the loss seems very good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm very surprised AIB don't have an activation process in place for new cards

seconded the Revolut way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Account opened in the past few weeks, with a large amount of money in it.
    Cards x 2 "intercepted in the post"
    PINs x 2 "intercepted in the post"
    Account cleared out.

Seems very suspicious to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

All this will change from september 2019..as they cannot use same mode of delivery for card and PIN under PSD2(Payment Services Directive 2) RTS...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Brand new account open just a week
    Both the card and the PIN intercepted
    Large withdrawals
    Account holder wants compensation

If you push AIB on this OP they might suspect you took the money yourself!

edit , same conclusion posted above ^^^

Advertisement