Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb Orphan feeder

• 03-12-2018 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭

Lads... My shepherdess will be with-drawing some services this year at lambing time which is 5 weeks away. To be fair, its time I got a feeder. Any recommendations on a good one??? From the scanning this year I reckon I could be 10-15 mark. I hear that there are dear ones that are no good and cheap ones that are good....

Any advice would be appreciated...
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

iron man wrote: »
    Lads... My shepherdess will be with-drawing some services this year at lambing time which is 5 weeks away. To be fair, its time I got a feeder. Any recommendations on a good one??? From the scanning this year I reckon I could be 10-15 mark. I hear that there are dear ones that are no good and cheap ones that are good....

Thanks
    We have 3 of the "sturdy" feeders find them very good we had up to 70 pets on them at one stage this spring, ours were around 300 euros each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

We have 3 of the "sturdy" feeders find them very good we had up to 70 pets on them at one stage this spring, ours were around 300 euros each

Agree have one here no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭DJ98

What about the volac ewe 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

volac ewe 2 keeps the milk warm all the time.... i hear it will go off quick... the best ones are the cold milk types... heating the milk as needed.... any other types or suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Thanks

In the exact same position with triplets this year and need a feeder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

In the exact same position with triplets this year and need a feeder.

Have a sturdy too. Does what it says on the tin

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Thanks

Is get a new shepherdess an option?!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Is get a new shepherdess an option?!!!!

I doubt it if she's only withdrawing some services.
    Getting a new shepherdess probably wouldn't go down well with the existing one or were you suggesting getting someone different (male or female) just to assist with feeding lambs.

Sherpardess will have a New smallie to look after.... some things we take for granted in many ways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Sherpardess will have a New smallie to look after.... some things we take for granted in many ways...

Congratulations, from the original post I thought it might be a case one was on the way. The lambing shed isn't the place for human expectant mothers.

Another option for your original problem is done deal at €15 a piece for excess lambs.

How many lambs does it take to pay back the costs on a feeder when you add up the €15 you'd get for lambs as pets, milk replacer, meal, mortality etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

congrats
    as for a feeder what are you looking for? a bucket with teats on it or something that will allow more ad lib feeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'm making my own this year as I have no ESB in the shed. Big water pot over a gas ring on very low heat. Plastic bucket with the milk in it in this. Then a couple of line feeders to the teats. Hopefully this will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

arctictree wrote: »
    I'm making my own this year as I have no ESB in the shed. Big water pot over a gas ring on very low heat. Plastic bucket with the milk in it in this. Then a couple of line feeders to the teats. Hopefully this will work.

Would this set up not be a dangerous fire hazard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We rear all our pets on cold milk after a week old, feeding them warm milk would rob you, they drink a lot more when it's warm and difficut to get them on to creep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭DJ98

How many lambs would you need to justify buying a adlib milk feeder?

wrangler wrote: »
    We rear all our pets on cold milk after a week old, feeding them warm milk would rob you, they drink a lot more when it's warm and difficut to get them on to creep

Do you just let them feed ad-lib? I keep losing lambs when bucket feeding them as they seem to drink too much at each feeding time.

Would this set up not be a dangerous fire hazard?

Well obviously I'm not going to leave anything flammable near the ring.

Do you just let them feed ad-lib? I keep losing lambs when bucket feeding them as they seem to drink too much at each feeding time.

yea adlib, it takes a bit of work at the start, you have to feed them individually on warm milk for five or six feeds at the start to make sure they drink enough.
    We have a bucket with one teat forr training and a bucket with three teats for following that will be alright for 8 lambs.
    Have to say here that our scan is around 1.8 so plenty of opportunity for adopting, when we had 550 ewes we'd often do 50+adoptions so there are other options but if you're scanning 2 or over it's important to have facilities to rear pets

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/323260909169
    these are the buckets we use......there's soft teats for baby lambs and hard teats for bigger lambs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Thanks

Got one of the plastic ewe ones in Monaghan last year good job but the heater kept burning out and the milk replacer used to burn and cake around it. Lambs done well off it to be fair

ad lib.... during the day.... great videos on line of gear but very expensive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

yea adlib, it takes a bit of work at the start, you have to feed them individually on warm milk for five or six feeds at the start to make sure they drink enough.
    We have a bucket with one teat forr training and a bucket with three teats for following that will be alright for 8 lambs.
    these are the buckets we use......there's soft teats for baby lambs and hard teats for bigger lambs

How do you secure the bucket to prevent the lambs from knocking it over or spilling the milk out of it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Sami23 wrote: »
    How do you secure the bucket to prevent the lambs from knocking it over or spilling the milk out of it ?

5c3f4ec3dec_3511569_1_normalx2.jpg

The step in the bracket prevents it from sliding up and coming off. We used these for drop calves with no problems.

https://www.fanevalleystores.com/categories/sheep/lambing-products/feeders-teats/products/75879/Plastic-Bracket-for-Lamb-Feeder-Bucket/?viewAll=yes

EDIT: This is the metal version: https://www.fanevalleystores.com/categories/cattle/calf-products/feeders-teats/products/67526/Metal-Bracket-for-Gewa-Calf-Bucket/?viewAll=yes

But what's to stop them just 'pucking' it up off that n spilling the milk

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

Have to say here that our scan is around 1.8 so plenty of opportunity for adopting, when we had 550 ewes we'd often do 50+adoptions so there are other options but if you're scanning 2 or over it's important to have facilities to rear pets

How often would you have to fill the bucket? Lambing only started this weend and already I have ttow lambs rejected a single and a twin. Triplets havent even stareted yet

Oldira wrote: »
    How often would you have to fill the bucket? Lambing only started this weend and already I have ttow lambs rejected a single and a twin. Triplets havent even stareted yet

Bucket only holds six or seven ltrs so you'd be going two or three times a day to eight lambs.
    I drilled a hole in a twenty litre drum for a teat and made a better bracket for the wall so don't have to go as often.
    We found this sort more straight forward than sucking it up through a pipe and they seldom knock it down if they have to reach for it, the ideal hanger is on an adjustable slide and keep it nudged up as they grow and the bedding goes up as well.
    Takes a bit of organising but anything is better than bottle feeding

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭grayh0und

Any tips on successful adoptions?

grayh0und wrote: »
    Any tips on successful adoptions?

Wet adoptions always have the best chance here
    Tie the foster lambs legs so he can't get up,
    Bath him with in a bucket of warm salty water if he's dry
    Put the lamb in a basin under the ewe and pull the new lamb down on top of the foster lamb and get as much of the fluids into the basin on top of the lamb.
    Take away her own lamb and leave her with the foster lamb,
    After ten minutes cut the ties on the legs and then twenty minutes later give her own lamb back,
    That's the basics, but it works all the time here,
    The two things that mess it up is if
    1, You have everything perfect then discover the ewe has milk in only one teat.
    2 scanner gets it wrong and she has another lamb.
    The longer they're lambed the less chance of success. we'd always try to pull the lamb so there'd be loads of fluids available

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭grayh0und

Nice one, thanks for the tips. We generally have lambed all outside, but could maybe still make it work. If we had a foster lamb, and got it going on colostrum / milk replacer, could it be introduced to a ewe some time after it was born? Or would it need to be done very near its birth.
    Wet adoptions always have the best chance here
    Tie the foster lambs legs so he can't get up,
    Bath him with in a bucket of warm salty water if he's dry
    Put the lamb in a basin under the ewe and pull the new lamb down on top of the foster lamb and get as much of the fluids into the basin on top of the lamb.
    Take away her own lamb and leave her with the foster lamb,
    After ten minutes cut the ties on the legs and then twenty minutes later give her own lamb back,
    That's the basics, but it works all the time here,
    The two things that mess it up is if
    1, You have everything perfect then discover the ewe has milk in only one teat.
    2 scanner gets it wrong and she has another lamb.
    The longer they're lambed the less chance of success. we'd always try to pull the lamb so there'd be loads of fluids available

grayh0und wrote: »
    Nice one, thanks for the tips. We generally have lambed all outside, but could maybe still make it work. If we had a foster lamb, and got it going on colostrum / milk replacer, could it be introduced to a ewe some time after it was born? Or would it need to be done very near its birth.

We've done them up to a fortnight old .
    Another trick is if the ewe has lambed less than 24 hrs you can put your hand into her as if you're lambing her and keep working her until she starts licking her lips and your hand if you put it to her nose, we use a glove and a bit of lube,
    The foster lamb has to be well wetted and salted and you have to take your hand out a good few times and rub the lamb to get enough of her fluids on him

• Advertisement

We've done them up to a fortnight old .
    Another trick is if the ewe has lambed less than 24 hrs you can put your hand into her as if you're lambing her and keep working her until she starts licking her lips and your hand if you put it to her nose, we use a glove and a bit of lube,
    The foster lamb has to be well wetted and salted and you have to take your hand out a good few times and rub the lamb to get enough of her fluids on him

I actually attempted this trick a few weeks ago after seeing a previous post of yours wrangler but I 'chickened out' when she started forcing strongly and I was afraid she might force out the lamb bag so I tried her in the crate for nearly 2 weeks but the rap still wouldn't take to him, she just wanted her own lamb so the foster lad is on the bottle now
    😢

Advertisement