Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb Orphan feeder

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sami23 wrote: »
    I actually attempted this trick a few weeks ago after seeing a previous post of yours wrangler but I 'chickened out' when she started forcing strongly and I was afraid she might force out the lamb bag so I tried her in the crate for nearly 2 weeks but the rap still wouldn't take to him, she just wanted her own lamb so the foster lad is on the bottle now
    ��

Yea probably shouldn't be advising that online Naturally you have to be gentle but it does work.
    Crate is the last resort....... we've never found a wet adopted lamb neglected out in the field but plenty of the crate ones have failed after a few days let out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

wrangler wrote: »
    Yea probably shouldn't be advising that online Naturally you have to be gentle but it does work.

So you wouldn't worry at all about them forcing when you are doing this trick. I suppose as it was my 1st time I wasn't sure what to expect

So you wouldn't worry at all about them forcing when you are doing this trick. I suppose as it was my 1st time I wasn't sure what to expect

Yea, once a ewe is lambed, every hour decreases the chance of a wet adoption, putting a hand in them gets the hormones going again, but it takes time, you could be 15 mins trying to get her to start licking her lips.
    You don't have to be rough with her, once your hand is in her she'll be forcing, I think it's the forcing that kicks off the hormones.
    Every time I'd take my hand out to rub fluids on the lamb I'd put my hand to her nose,
    I read about it somewhere and couldn't believe it'd work either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Anyone know the price of a fully automatic volac feeder ? Have one here and thinking of shifting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Anyone know the price of a fully automatic volac feeder ? Have one here and thinking of shifting it.

Interested in the price also, toying with getting one for the oh to rear pets if there's money in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

Bucket only holds six or seven ltrs so you'd be going two or three times a day to eight lambs.
    I drilled a hole in a twenty litre drum for a teat and made a better bracket for the wall so don't have to go as often.
    We found this sort more straight forward than sucking it up through a pipe and they seldom knock it down if they have to reach for it, the ideal hanger is on an adjustable slide and keep it nudged up as they grow and the bedding goes up as well.
    Takes a bit of organising but anything is better than bottle feeding

How long will milk last before going stale or go off.? Can you make enough for a couple of days and leave it is you have only 1-2 lambs?

Oldira wrote: »
    How long will milk last before going stale or go off.? Can you make enough for a couple of days and leave it is you have only 1-2 lambs?

It should be alright for two days if you're feeding cold, warm milk might be different

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

It should be alright for two days if you're feeding cold, warm milk might be different

Thanks. Cold milk here. Lambs thriving after only a few days.

Oldira wrote: »
    Thanks. Cold milk here. Lambs thriving after only a few days.

Farmer and lambs do well on cold milk ad lib, here's our homemade feeder.
    It holds 16 ltrs
    Note the 'height adjustable brackets' :D
    20190327_180039.jpg

20190327_180213.jpg

It holds 16 ltrs
    20190327_180039.jpg

20190327_180213.jpg

Nice simple setup there wrangler.

I'm struggling to get 1 of my pet lambs to drink from 1 of those buckets that you recommended. He will take 2 or 3 sucks and then keeps stopping. I have to constantly keep putting the teat in his mouth at that.
    He's starting to lose whatever condition he had coming off his mother and is getting very thin. I can't figure out why he won't suck it.
    I'm making up the milk warm as it's easier to mix so was thinking today is that a mistake giving it to them warm and letting it go cold as they drink it.?
    Any advice or tips would be appreciated

• Advertisement

Nice simple setup there wrangler.

I'm struggling to get 1 of my pet lambs to drink from 1 of those buckets that you recommended. He will take 2 or 3 sucks and then keeps stopping. I have to constantly keep putting the teat in his mouth at that.
    He's starting to lose whatever condition he had coming off his mother and is getting very thin. I can't figure out why he won't suck it.
    I'm making up the milk warm as it's easier to mix so was thinking today is that a mistake giving it to them warm and letting it go cold as they drink it.?
    Any advice or tips would be appreciated

Don't know what to say about a lamb not drinking, I'd be watching for an adoption for him, Is he able to drink enough out of a bottle, We've never had any problem, keep him fed enough anyway.
    We use a whisk for mixing the milk with cold water, seems to work alright, you shouldn't have to mix it warm, we use an electric kitchen hand blender for anything more than 3 or 4 ltrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It holds 16 ltrs
    20190327_180039.jpg

20190327_180213.jpg

I like that.

Is it just an ordinary clear 5 gallon drum, with a nipple fitted?

Where did you source that type of nipple, if you don’t mind me asking?

Don't know what to say about a lamb not drinking, I'd be watching for an adoption for him, Is he able to drink enough out of a bottle, We've never had any problem, keep him fed enough anyway.
    We use a whisk for mixing the milk with cold water, seems to work alright, you shouldn't have to mix it warm, we use an electric kitchen hand blender for anything more than 3 or 4 ltrs

Lambing finished here last Saturday so no chance of adoption I'm afraid. He's not great to drink from bottle either tbh. He was a triplet so he was on his mother for 4-5 day and then I moved him onto the bucket last Friday but he's getting weaker by the day imo.
    Hopefully he'll get into it before it's too late.
    I have the very same teat as yourself in the Gewa bucket.

I like that.

Is it just an ordinary clear 5 gallon drum, with a nipple fitted?

Where did you source that type of nipple, if you don’t mind me asking?

Local Agristore has them here, they're easy enough got,
    Here's a link to a supplier anyway if you can't
    https://www.agridirect.ie/product/lamb-feeder-bucket2

We use a hole saw to make the hole, We had to use Tec 7 on that one to make it water tight but it mostly seals alright, I would rather it was easy removed for washing

Lambing finished here last Saturday so no chance of adoption I'm afraid. He's not great to drink from bottle either tbh. He was a triplet so he was on his mother for 4-5 day and then I moved him onto the bucket last Friday but he's getting weaker by the day imo.
    Hopefully he'll get into it before it's too late.
    I have the very same teat as yourself in the Gewa bucket.

Sounds as if the lamb is sick, was he always that way
    Lamb has to be strong enough to suck it too, we'd always take the strongest lamb for a pet

Sounds as if the lamb is sick, was he always that way
    Lamb has to be strong enough to suck it too, we'd always take the strongest lamb for a pet

Well when the 3 of them were on the mother I was supplementing them with the bottle to make sure they had enough and this lamb was the best of the 3 to suck so I picked him for that reason but in fairness none of those particular triplets were great to drink bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

Well when the 3 of them were on the mother I was supplementing them with the bottle to make sure they had enough and this lamb was the best of the 3 to suck so I picked him for that reason but in fairness none of those particular triplets were great to drink bottle.

I have the same problem. I will have to stomach feed her to keep her alive. Once she's eating nuts nicely I'll let her out. All I can do. I may move pen out to grass after a week to encourage her to start eating grass too.

Anyone looking for a feeder ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Anyone looking for a feeder ?

Why are you not keeping it?

razor8 wrote: »
    Why are you not keeping it?

Don’t need it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom