Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax offsetting question for a nice PC

Options
  • 03-12-2018 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey all!

I am a sole trader and PC is the main tool I use in my business. Now I plan to upgrade the PC I have and my accountant confirmed I can offset 100% of the cost against the tax I pay.

I'd love to get a top of the line rig and technically, I could get a lot cheaper one and still do what I do. Question is - can revenue question whether that particular config is beyond my needs or do they ignore stuff like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you were audited and they found a receipt for €10k, they may pull you up on it but you should be fine for say €1500 or whatever a top end laptop costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Its hard for them to define what your needs are - just be able to justify it.

However beware of laptops - they added back 60% of the cost of our mac laptops, citing personal usage. Without any proof of personal use. Seemed to be a policy.

this was not an audit, just a simple review.

• Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep ChristmasFM: Ronan

I can't see any problem spending what ever you like on a laptop. Even 10k including software is fine - i dont think revenue would bat an eyelid, but most top spec set ups wouldn't cost more than 3 or 4k. It is worth getting a really top spec laptop if you use them a lot as you get so much more work done in the same amount of time.

Just make sure it matches you work needs. A laptop called a Gaming Laptop that comes with Steering Wheel accessories isn't going to pass mustard. Also if your total income is tiny and your laptop is expensive that won't add up - ie. if you keep bees as a side project and sell 200 euros of honey a year but buy a 5000 euro laptop thats not ok. But if you make a living using your laptop like you said, its grand.
    modmuffin wrote: »
    Its hard for them to define what your needs are - just be able to justify it.

However beware of laptops - they added back 60% of the cost of our mac laptops, citing personal usage. Without any proof of personal use. Seemed to be a policy.

this was not an audit, just a simple review.

I think you got mugged there, I'd definitely appeal that as it would go in your favour. That's like saying an upgrade to a first class flight is personal use and only being allowed to claim for the economy seat. Unless you declared that you watch netflix all day its 100% business use. If they argue, just prove that you have access to a different laptop for personal use. Done. Revenue shouldnt be micro managing SME's. Ofcourse if you just introduce a policy like my company has that all laptops must be used for work purposes then revenue can't argue personal usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

.....isn't going to pass mustard........
    Muster.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Revenue shouldnt be micro managing SME's. Ofcourse if you just introduce a policy like my company has that all laptops must be used for work purposes then revenue can't argue personal usage.

its alot easier to bully, harass, scare the **** out of & extort from an SME then it is to go after billions from a multi national with an army of lawyers and tax experts at their disposal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement