Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,690 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1096138757118611458?s=19

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to the Courts we go.

What a negotiator! Shut down the government, cost the Country 11 billion, gets schooled on the SOTU address, loses the likes of Coulter and Limbaugh and then signs a deal which gets him a fraction of what was on offer in November.

Now that the precedent has been set, it lines up the next Dem president to declare global warming, or gun control a national emergency..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1096138757118611458?s=19

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to the Courts we go.

What a negotiator! Shut down the government, cost the Country 11 billion, gets schooled on the SOTU address, loses the likes of Coulter and Limbaugh and then signs a deal which gets him a fraction of what was on offer in November.

Now that the precedent has been set, it lines up the next Dem president to declare global warming, or gun control a national emergency..

Plus Pelosi can try block it which will force the Senate to vote on it, which means the Republican Senators will specifically have to vote to side with Trump on this issue. They will have to publicly vote to allow Trump to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Penn wrote: »
    Plus Pelosi can try block it which will force the Senate to vote on it, which means the Republican Senators will specifically have to vote to side with Trump on this issue. They will have to publicly vote to allow Trump to do it.

I've heard this described as a way of testing the water for impeachment. Not that I think he'll be impeached - I think the Dems are better off waiting it out and performing oversight with the committees in the house. Trump is only capable of appealing to the types of people who like Coulter, Limbaugh and Hannity.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've heard this described as a way of testing the water for impeachment. Not that I think he'll be impeached - I think the Dems are better off waiting it out and performing oversight with the committees in the house. Trump is only capable of appealing to the types of people who like Coulter, Limbaugh and Hannity.

Well Ann Coulter tweeted that if Trump signs the bill it's over. She is really off the Trump train.

Mexico will pay for the wall.

Mexico will indirectly pay for the wall.

The taxpayer will pay for the wall through the House appropriations.

Trump supporters can donate money to help build the wall!

The Courts must rule that the military budget will pay for the wall.

The man is an utter joke.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

So, Trump declared an emergency.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/14/trump-decides-whether-to-sign-border-security-deal-to-avoid-shutdown.html
    "President Trump will sign the government funding bill, and as he has stated before, he will also take other executive action — including a national emergency — to ensure we stop the national security and humanitarian crisis at the border," White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement. it came as the Senate prepared to vote on a measure to keep the government open past a midnight Friday deadline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/968850364383596545

Trump must have really made a balls of things the past year for it to suddenly be an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Trump must have really made a balls of things the past year for it to suddenly be an emergency.
    Hilarious the way they've had to drop the terror angle since Chris Wallace pointed out the figure for terrorists crossing the entire southern border was a big fat zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

So much for economy being best ever..
    U.S. retail sales recorded their biggest drop in more than nine years in December as receipts fell across the board, suggesting a sharp slowdown in economic activity at the end of 2018.

The Commerce Department said on Thursday retail sales tumbled 1.2 percent, the largest decline since September 2009 when the economy was emerging from recession. Data for November was revised slightly down to show retail sales edging up 0.1 percent instead of gaining 0.2 percent as previously reported.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/14/us-retail-sales-drop-in-december.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well Ann Coulter tweeted that if Trump signs the bill it's over. She is really off the Trump train.

Sure isn't he only being as patriotic as the workers, contract and federal, who stayed at their duties when they weren't being paid by signing the bill. He made it a big deal when he stayed in the W/House during the close-down he ordered into being. I suppose Ann doesn't realise Don realises he can't afford to butt with the GOP any more & she's no longer the only gamester in town for him.

• Advertisement

He's just trying it on with the part of the GOP that's still totally with him, wrapping the Stars and Stripes around his figure so when it's tugged away from him, he can point to others as being disloyal to the U.S.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So in declaring the national emergency, is this going to be a future precedent abused? Feels like another slip into further partisan dysfunction that'll only erode previously accepted norms in government. As mentioned, future presidents may be able to trot out "national emergency" as a way to bypass the houses. Experts in Constitutional law won't starve anyway, that much is sure. I guess it'll mean Government Shutdowns become the new normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Mexico will pay for the wall.

Mexico will indirectly pay for the wall.

The taxpayer will pay for the wall through the House appropriations.

Trump supporters can donate money to help build the wall!

The Courts must rule that the military budget will pay for the wall.

The man is an utter joke.

Thought Pelosi played it well earlier with her reaction to what McConnell said. Threatening the possibility of future Dem Presidents invoking a National Emergency regarding gun violence. The NRA-funded members of the Republican party won't like the sound of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Water John wrote: »

I saw that a few days ago. It felt like I was watching a scene written by Aaron Sorkin, especially the way she brings it back to the presidency at the end. Great stuff.

pixelburp wrote: »
    So in declaring the national emergency, is this going to be a future precedent abused? Feels like another slip into further partisan dysfunction that'll only erode previously accepted norms in government. As mentioned, future presidents may be able to trot out "national emergency" as a way to bypass the houses. Experts in Constitutional law won't starve anyway, that much is sure. I guess it'll mean Government Shutdowns become the new normal?

Maybe not right now but when normalcy returns to U.S politics the two parties might cobble together a bill to prevent future presidents from abusing national authority by declaring a fake national emergency. Hopefully the lesson Don has taught them is that it'd be in the interests of the U.S. & both parties in the future to prevent a president from either party creating a situation whereby he can declare a national emergency to sort out the self-same "fake emergency" situation he's created. Maybe they could get an amendment past the required number of states into the constitution to prevent another "Don-style" abuse of the presidential national authority power. The U.S deserves a rest from his abuse of that power and limitations he's been introducing to citizens rights. It's clear that without the USSC there to rein in a runaway president, he'd wreck the U.S. As it is, with the blessing of some parts of the GOP, he's making the USSC suit their intents so a future president could well play away with their blessing.

It seems the national emergency declaration is not getting universal GOP support on capital hill. Might Trump have made a mistake here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Christy42

It seems the national emergency declaration is not getting universal GOP support on capital hill. Might Trump have made a mistake here ?
    This is desperation stuff from Donald. He can't negotiate with anyone who is not a yes man and is attempting to treat the US like a dictatorship to get what he wants done.

He doesn't care what a democrat president does in the future but those Republicans do and Trump is attempting to set precedent that can be abused in future.

Want something done? Declare an emergency and order it. Does not matter if there is an emergency or not. No need for the usual checks and balances of a functioning democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

rossie1977 wrote: »

This is what happens when you pick one metric to judge economic health (employment) and completely ignore things wage stagnation and level of personal debt.

Yeah Trump, no wonder employment figures look so good - look how many folks are working 2 jobs.

• Advertisement

He had no option.

He takes his queue from Limbaugh, Coulter etc as he believes they represent his "base".

They crucified him for giving in on the last shutdown.

He was told that if he signs this deal, he is in big trouble so now he can only go with this course of action.

If it doesn't get by the Senate, he will blame McConnell and the Reps.

If it does, and the Courts strike it down he will blame the Obama Judges (regardless of who appointed them).

He will then go back to his base and say he did all he could etc etc.

He doesn't care about precedent. He only wants to save his own skin by blaming someone, anyone else.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He had no option.

He takes his queue from Limbaugh, Coulter etc as he believes they represent his "base".

They crucified him for giving in on the last shutdown.

He was told that if he signs this deal, he is in big trouble so now he can only go with this course of action.

If it doesn't get by the Senate, he will blame McConnell and the Reps.

If it does, and the Courts strike it down he will blame the Obama Judges (regardless of who appointed them).

He will then go back to his base and say he did all he could etc etc.

He doesn't care about precedent. He only wants to save his own skin by blaming someone, anyone else.

He has painted himself into this corner and declaring the emergency was always going to happen as it's the only thing that gives him "plausible" protection from his base.

It's never going to fly - It either gets shot down by Congress or it gets shot down by the courts.

In both cases he has a ready made "boogy-man" ready to be blamed.

This is a huge risk for the GOP.

They are already exposed for 2020 in the Senate as it is a much more favourable map for the Democrats compared to 2018.

If it's the Senate that block his wall , then you can guarantee that he'll start bad mouthing the ones that voted against it and they then run the risk of getting primaried by a Trump Acolyte , which in all but the very reddest of Red states will move the needle closer to the Democrats.

This fixation with the wall and immigration is a loser - the mid-terms showed that. The constituent of folks drawn to the ballot on this issue isn't big enough to save Trump.

Trump's only hope of reelection now (and by extension, his best shot at avoiding the possibility of a post-term indictment) is for the Democrats to implode during the primary campaign. I don't see this happening but the field is getting crowded, there could be some unpredictability and if Twitter is anything to go by, there are still enough Bernie-bots out there to derail things for the final candidate. I'm still not that worried by Schultz - I think he's as likely to peel off dithering Trump votes as he is to hurt the the Dems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

This is no longer about the man, he will continue with some form of madness or another. It is litmus test for the Reps, do they have any spine anymore, do they exist as a party? Will they defend the constitution against the move of a self obsessed despot? I don't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,526 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

jooksavage wrote: »
    This fixation with the wall and immigration is a loser - the mid-terms showed that. The constituent of folks drawn to the ballot on this issue isn't big enough to save Trump.

Trump's only hope of reelection now (and by extension, his best shot at avoiding the possibility of a post-term indictment) is for the Democrats to implode during the primary campaign. I don't see this happening but the field is getting crowded, there could be some unpredictability and if Twitter is anything to go by, there are still enough Bernie-bots out there to derail things for the final candidate. I'm still not that worried by Schultz - I think he's as likely to peel off dithering Trump votes as he is to hurt the the Dems.

When there's a weak wildebeest, the lions circle. I think there are a lot of candidates now as Trump is so vulnerable - always good for a bad decision, an ugly quote, another shadow cast on his behaviors. The Democratic party candidates sense weakness, and an opportunity for exposure. Some of them probably will drop out long before the primaries start, knowing they've gained some national exposure and hoping for a better job (cabinet, some big agency) post-election.

Howard Schultz (hey! my cousin was his primary-school teacher in Brooklyn in the 1960's!) will drop out before long, no one believes him and he's very unpopular in Seattle where I used to live which counts as his 'home base' now. He sold the basketball team, and the locals haven't forgiven him.

I think overall, maybe I'm wishfully thinking, but it's Harris's candidacy to lose. Time will tell, Sherrod Brown seems strong, too but might be a bit too bland. Harris will freak out the tGOp though - female and minority and very ethical, 3 things they despise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I really don't know how he hasn't been shot as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't understand what the basis for the state of emergency is going to be? The lack of a border wall isn't enough surely, since they've never had a full border wall.

also, new AG sworn in I wonder will that have any effect on the mueller investigation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I really don't know how he hasn't been shot as of yet.

Because the most extreme loonies are all on his side?

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't understand what the basis for the state of emergency is going to be? The lack of a border wall isn't enough surely, since they've never had a full border wall.

also, new AG sworn in I wonder will that have any effect on the mueller investigation?

When the heads of the NSA and CIA appeared at a senatorial hearing 2 weeks ago they went through the significant threats to US security (ISIS, NK, Iran etc). Not once did they mention the southern border. There is precisely zero basis for a state of emergency. It's an act of lawlessness and will be stopped.

I'm not sure what to make of the new AG. Certainly seems competent - that's worrying - and he wouldn't have been nominated unless the Trump team thought they could use him to their advantage. But we're so far into the Mueller investigation now, as far killing it, I think that horse has bolted. And the fact that the Dems control the house and have subpoena power is also reassuring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Thought Pelosi played it well earlier with her reaction to what McConnell said. Threatening the possibility of future Dem Presidents invoking a National Emergency regarding gun violence. The NRA-funded members of the Republican party won't like the sound of that.

I though it was a very foolish thing to say. You know it will be spun:

Not only are Dems against on border security, they are coming for your guns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement