Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

I really wish people would stop describing this as an "achievement"

Due to inflation and other economic factors stock markets should close at all time highs around 51% of the time.
    It is irrational bull and bear markets that cause us to deviate from this.
    A prolonged bull market is NOT a good thing.

Even taking those as given:

https://tubofcash.com/how-often-is-the-stock-market-at-all-time-highs/

Well Paul Krugman Nobel prize winning economist, saw fit to state his case that the person occupying the WhiteHouse has huge impact on markets, in fact he went so far as to declare in 2016 that the Stock market would never recover from Trump election.
    So obviously he was very aware of the impact that POTUS can have. But he got the impact Trump would have spectacularily wrong.

A Trump tweet can send markets not just in the US but worldwide into red or black territory. A Trump tweet can send an individual sector into red or black territory.
    To claim the President of The United States has little influence on market closing prices and its all some random cyclical event is frankly preposterous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Well Paul Krugman Nobel prize winning economist, saw fit to state his case that the person occupying the WhiteHouse has huge impact on markets, in fact he went so far as to declare in 2016 that the Stock market would never recover from Trump election.
    So obviously he was very aware of the impact that POTUS can have. He got that spectacularily wrong.

A Trump tweet can send markets not just in the US but worldwide into red or black territory. A Trump tweet can send an individual sector into red or black territory.
    To claim the President of The United States has little influence on market closing prices and its all some random cyclical event is frankly preposterous.

And yet you think his words on race and minorities and violence against the press etc have no effect whatsoever.

How do you possibly square that circle in your own head?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

When did I say that?

He can influence markets absolutely.
    All time high is a bull**** "achievement".
    All time highs are whithin grasp in 25% of day closes.

Growth whithin a targeted, sustainable in the long-term range is something to be lauded.

However, in Trumpland, bigger is better - **** the details and experts.

He is pumping the markets with corporate tax cuts and by tearing down environmental policies. These are not sustainable and will wreak havoc in the US in the medium term.

The worst of it is he probably won't be in office when the repercussions hit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

markodaly wrote: »
    How do you come to that conclusion? The working class is still referred to as the working class.

Do you actually follow American politics? They never refer to coal miners, factory workers and so on as working class. Hence my “conclusion”.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,534 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Im fully aware of the consequences of his actions.

Stock Market at a record high
    African-American Black unemployment rates at a record low
    Asian unemplyment rates at a record low
    NATO allies are being made to pay more to defend Europe from the East
    NK has made moves to cut down on the nuclear testing
    US trade imbalance being addressed
    Chinas economic malpractice being brought to book

Im aware of loads of the consequences of his actions . Heck if one of my kids could accomplish all that in 2 years, Id be very proud of them .

You've listed some positives that he may or may not have had an impact on. Stock Market went down a couple times over the last few years. Depends when you look.

But again, as I stated earlier, he's responsible to *all* Americans and to their allies. Even though I didn't vote for him, he's my President and what he does, affects my day-to-day life. Party really shouldn't matter, it's a mechanism to get elected and serve the people. The president's the ultimate public servant.

What about the negative things he's done? You o.k. with those? Do you admit he's done anything negative? Here's one: the budget deficits now $22tn. Is that *good*, or is that *bad*.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    You've listed some positives that he may or may not have had an impact on. Stock Market went down a couple times over the last few years. Depends when you look.

But again, as I stated earlier, he's responsible to *all* Americans and to their allies. Even though I didn't vote for him, he's my President and what he does, affects my day-to-day life. Party really shouldn't matter, it's a mechanism to get elected and serve the people. The president's the ultimate public servant.

What about the negative things he's done? You o.k. with those? Do you admit he's done anything negative? Here's one: the budget deficits now $22tn. Is that *good*, or is that *bad*.

The budget deficit isnt $22tn.
    I think your mixing up the budget deficit and the national debt.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And yet you think his words on race and minorities and violence against the press etc have no effect whatsoever.

How do you possibly square that circle in your own head?

I dont have to square that circle.
    Because I dont think what you claim I think.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The budget deficit isnt $22tn.
    I think your mixing up the budget deficit and the national debt.

The deficit is $985bn, up from $665bn in 2017. The national debt is $22tn, up from $20tn in 2017.

Are these increases good or bad?

I dont have to square that circle.
    Because I dont think what you claim I think.

Oh I apologise then. I seem to have misunderstood your postings.

I fully understand that you credit Trump with many positives.

Do you also credit Trump with the increase in violence and hatred towards the press in recent times?

SNIP. No more soapboxing please.

• Advertisement

The mid-terms would suggest that the contest is still very much on.

And just why are you concerned about getting away from the minutiae, we are now into thread 5 on this, and suddenly you think people just want to talk in broad terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Folks in the interest of moving the discussion on from minutiae, at this stage I think its all over , Trump has WON . Im not talking of 2020, I just mean in general he has won

Won what? He won an election where he got the 2nd most amount of votes.

Nothing else is being won. This isn't a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Folks in the interest of moving the discussion on from minutiae, at this stage I think its all over , Trump has WON . Im not talking of 2020, I just mean in general he has won, if this were a boxing match the ref would have stopped the contest. Perhaps if the Trump Administration had been stopped in the first 3 months by whatever cockamany ruse was drummed up, but given it wasnt and has been able to move forward with the implementation of what Trump spoke off on his campaign trail .

We are nearly at 760 days in office , and to name but a few, main stream media is in a self inflicted meltdown and has been for 2 years, we had 2 years of Mueller investigation , FBI and Washington insiders doing their best to topple the regime and all to no affect.
    Clintons are toast, Hollywood has lost all credibility, a bunch of marxist progressives are set to destroy the DNC from the inside the list goes on of those who have fallen by the wayside.

2 SCOTUS picks, numerous economic and international achievements , American political landscape changed forever. The globalist agenda destroyed beyond repair, Trumps influence has extended international, with the political landscape changed all over the globe.
    Heck the DNC are paying for the wall and havent even realised it (thanks to signing off a HUGE increase in the military budget in 2017, they passed a 700 billion military spend , that will be re-directed to the National Emergency) , the list of achievements and wins goes on and on also

I think its over, its just a matter now of how many more wins he has before the next election and how many more hits the left will suffer, some self-inflicted, some just the result of intended and unintended consequences.

Are you trying to draw a line in the sand now because you know deep in your bones that the Mueller investigation is about to unleash some heavy duty trouble for Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Folks in the interest of moving the discussion on from minutiae
    And to avoid answering a direct question on the deficit.
    At this stage I think its all over , Trump has WON. Im not talking of 2020, I just mean in general he has won, if this were a boxing match the ref would have stopped the contest. Perhaps if the Trump Administration had been stopped in the first 3 months by whatever cockamany ruse was drummed up, but given it wasnt and has been able to move forward with the implementation of what Trump spoke off on his campaign trail
    Won what exactly?
    We are nearly at 760 days in office , and to name but a few, main stream media is in a self inflicted meltdown and has been for 2 years
    NBC has beaten Fox on multiple fronts, the NYT is flourishing, but go on...
    we had 2 years of Mueller investigation , FBI and Washington insiders doing their best to topple the regime and all to no affect
    we have had 40 odd indictments, your National Security Advisor is cooperating with the Special Counsel's office, your Campaign Chair is going to jail for 19-24 years with the distinct possibility of more than that, your assistant campaign chair is cooperating, Trump's personal lawyer is going to jail for 3 years, Trump has been identified as an un-named co-conspirator, the Trump Foundation has been effectively shut down, and there are multiple investigations into Trump Org, with the Chief CFO co-operating, Trump's long time pal has just been outed for working with Russian Intelligence, your Campaign Chair has been found guilty of passing internal polling intelligence to the Russians, Donny Jnr is going to be indicted and the walls are closing in, but don't let that stop you
    Clintons are toast
    Thanks to Putin!
    Hollywood has lost all credibility
    Hollywood churns out movies, I'm not sure what you are talking about here.
    a bunch of marxist progressives are set to destroy the DNC from the inside the list goes on of those who have fallen by the wayside.
    Yep, if the Democrats continue on the path they took in the midterms, they are in real trouble *wink wink*
    2 SCOTUS picks
    Thanks to McConnell
    numerous economic and international achievements
    yes - none of them good
    American political landscape changed forever
    agreed
    The globalist agenda destroyed beyond repair
    again, I don't know what you are talking about.
    Trumps influence has extended international, with the political landscape changed all over the globe
    Agreed. Check out the reception Mike Pence got recently on the world stage. Check out the laughter at Donny's comments at the G7.
    Heck the DNC are paying for the wall and havent even realised it (thanks to signing off a HUGE increase in the military budget in 2017, they passed a 700 billion military spend , that will be re-directed to the National Emergency) , the list of achievements and wins goes on and on also
    He's never going to get that military money. You know it and he knows it.
    I think its over, its just a matter now of how many more wins he has before the next election and how many more hits the left will suffer, some self-inflicted, some just the result of intended and unintended consequences.
    If that's your definition of winning, I sincerely hope he keeps winning, bigly!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

I think

Can you back up this claim with some factual evidence please?

Apologies, I was confusing the national debt with the deficit. But I thought the trade balance was being fixed by Trump? Last october was a ten year high. https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/balance-of-trade. Imports outpaced exports last month - there was a slump in exports.

This is all being fixed I take it? What's the plan? Tariffs?

And, is that record deficit good, or bad?

Note that GDP growth since about WWII averages 3.2%/year. Last year 3.1%. 2017: 2.3%. 2019 Projection: 2.3%. Fed data.

So, GDP below average, national debt enormous, and trade deficit, at best, bouncing around.

Those not involved with the stock market (huge percentage of Americans) get no direct benefit from this, however. Seems like 46% of Americans have no involvement with the stock market at all. That's a lot of people. Unfortunately I don't have handy data that shows how many uninvolved, couldn't be involved - younger than 18 years (I think. I couldn't buy into an IRA back in the day till I was 19 and couldn't participate in my companies stock plan back then.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Strong words from Nancy Pelosi, or as he like to call her Nancy

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/21519-3/

Interesting tactic from Stone.

Can see his bail getting revoked for these shenanigans...

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1097574608692264961?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

everlast75 wrote: »

I think he must have mental health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That rates as Contempt of Court. Pop him into a cell while his case is going on. Can't then get up to mischief.

• Advertisement

I reckon he's provoking in order to have bail revoked to get locked up now in order to drum up some more money with his defence fund.

He knows he is screwed anyway and going to jail. He might as well start now (as it's taken away from ultimate sentence) if it gets him a lot more money by being a victim.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Strong words from Nancy Pelosi, or as he like to call her Nancy

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/21519-3/

Man, I thought it couldn't get worse than it was under Nixon. How wrong I was.

We live in interesting times. The Speaker of the House publicly imploring fellow Congressmen to defend the Constitution against the President.

Or, as I guess I should refer to her, "Leader Pelosi." After all, during the 2016 GOP Primaries I had to endure "Leader Gingrich" (Guess they'd forgotten about that whole censure thing.) So, from now on, Leader Pelosi. Nice ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

God, how dumb is he? The picture has been replaced on his Instagram with the cross hairs removed.

More on the potential impact of Trump's deficit: https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/430450-as-debt-hits-22-trillion-our-day-of-fiscal-reckoning-nears

This article is written by an economist from the Cato institute, so it's reasonable to be skeptical about it - they claim to be libertarian, when really they're Trumpists. But so, here's a scary section from it:
    "Yet when the next recession hits, the federal government’s fiscal position will be worse than ever, and that is not even taking into account the massive entitlement challenges, notably Social Security and Medicare, that Congress eventually must address."

He also puts paid to the nonsense that growth will lead to less debt. Trump promised to eliminate the debt, one of his many fatuous campaign promises. I'd prefer he did this, than built a wall. Save some money on the wall, pay down the debt.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/promise/1418/eliminate-federal-debt-8-years/

O.K. enough Trump for today. Now, among others (a couple that might be qualified enough for the job,) Trump's rumored to be considering....

Ivanka

for the UN ambassador.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/430490-four-names-emerge-for-un-position-report

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Naked nepotism towards a blatantly unqualified, inexperienced family member. The gall with which this "draining the swamp" manifests itself is pretty remarkable. Ivanka Trump should be nowhere to be seen at any official White House outing, yet her appearance (for instance) at last week's middle East conference was an affront to the norms of any adult minded democracy.

She's obviously being groomed for other offices, and while I laughed at Samantha Bee's once snarky remark that the first female president would be Ivanka, I suspect she might end up being quite prophetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Water John wrote: »
    That rates as Contempt of Court. Pop him into a cell while his case is going on. Can't then get up to mischief.

Is that all threatening a federal judge gets you?

He claims it bring threatening is "open to interpretation".

Another idea as to why he did it - to get her to react and then claim sge is biased.

Here's some of Stone's form..

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1097591561058246658?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He claims it bring threatening is "open to interpretation".

Another idea as to why he did it - to get her to react and then claim sge is biased.

Here's some of Stone's form..

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1097591561058246658?s=19

Strangely (or not) it reads as though an 11 year old is writing those tweets. "Partyboi".. the lack of grammar is astounding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement