Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Ultros

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Isn't the real problem that the media merely reflects the horrendously partisan nature of the country as a whole?

I totally agree, I'd also add they are the ones pushing the partisan divide deeper and deeper for monetary gain.

Social media isn't much different, I look at a Trump tweet and it's always the same posters at the top with thousands of usual idiot likes just spouting total partisan nonsense.

Trump obviously adds to it, he feeds off negative media attention like he's done his whole life so the divide is continuously escalating but eventually the dam will break leading to bad consequences.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

And Fox are wildly skewed to the right - It's swings and roundabouts.

Isn't the real problem that the media merely reflects the horrendously partisan nature of the country as a whole?

Everyone(on all sides) is aligned to "them or us" there is no compromise.

The media is reflective of society at large..

Not really. A few serious journalists are speaking up on the ideological imbalance in perspective and viewpoint and the bias thats there for all to see...

Lara Logan, ex-CBS news 60 mins Senior presenter called it like it is .
    The Left Wing Media , a bunch of propagandaists with horse-xyzt low standards.

What a woman, what an interview, what a life story ... well worth the 3 hours .

17 year old growing up in south Africa, campaining at the height of Apartheid, goes to America, gets into journalism, spends 5 years in Afghanistan (in the real bad days) , a few years in Iraq , spends time washing blood of her shot cameraman off the equipment, is present at the start of the Arab spring, is gang raped in Egypt by a mob ...
    And drops all this in a discussion with an ex Navy Seal on the Mike Drop ...

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/02/19/lara_logan_hits_media_for_becoming_left-wing_propagandists_horse****_low_standards.html

grab some popcorn,

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Not really.

You're right. I don't know anyone could argue otherwise.

https://publicintegrity.org/federal-politics/journalists-shower-hillary-clinton-with-campaign-cash/

"In all, people identified in federal campaign finance filings as journalists, reporters, news editors or television news anchors — as well as other donors known to be working in journalism — have combined to give more than $396,000 to the presidential campaigns of Clinton and Trump, according to a Center for Public Integrity analysis.

Nearly all of that money — more than 96 percent — has benefited Clinton: About 430 people who work in journalism have, through August, combined to give about $382,000 to the Democratic nominee, the Center for Public Integrity’s analysis indicates."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not really. A few serious journalists are speaking up on the ideological imbalance in perspective and viewpoint and the bias thats there for all to see...

Lara Logan, ex-CBS news 60 mins Senior presenter called it like it is .

What a woman, what an interview, what a life story ... well worth the 3 hours .

Missing the point entirely - All that's happened there is that Lara Logan has shifted from centre(ish) to a good deal further right -

The first line of your quoted article
    Lara Logan, a former foreign correspondent for CBS's "60 Minutes", praised FOX News and Breitbart for offering "the other side" in an "absurdly left-leaning" news media environment.

So , praising the hard right media for giving balance to the hard left media..

Nothing whatsoever to do with the utter lack of a middle ground anymore.

Ultros wrote: »
    You're right. I don't know anyone could argue otherwise.

https://publicintegrity.org/federal-politics/journalists-shower-hillary-clinton-with-campaign-cash/

"In all, people identified in federal campaign finance filings as journalists, reporters, news editors or television news anchors — as well as other donors known to be working in journalism — have combined to give more than $396,000 to the presidential campaigns of Clinton and Trump, according to a Center for Public Integrity analysis.

Nearly all of that money — more than 96 percent — has benefited Clinton: About 430 people who work in journalism have, through August, combined to give about $382,000 to the Democratic nominee, the Center for Public Integrity’s analysis indicates."

The partisanship in society is 50-50 or
    in electoral college votes its 304 to 227 or
    in popular vote its 63 million to 66 million

The partisanship in the media is 10% to 90%

I dont see that ratio as reflecting the partisanship in society.
    It merely reflects the medias bias. As Lara Logan said above , 86% of mainstream journalists are registered democrats and the other 14% were too lazy didnt bother to register..

• Advertisement

And Fox are wildly skewed to the right - It's swings and roundabouts.

Everyone(on all sides) is aligned to "them or us" there is no compromise.

The media is reflective of society at large..

Just like when FB and Google made the tools available to alter an election , everyone was up in arms because their gal didnt win and because Trump won..
    They missed the real story, when did Silicon valley usurp this power and why did society let them ... its only know people are asking that question

Its the same with the media.
    They moved from reflecting society to altering society 2 years ago .
    In the years to come people may wise up and reflect on this too .

If its relective of society and 63 million individual votes, 304 electoral college votes, 46%of popular vote, how come 95% of it is bad press of Trump.

The only thing the media is reflective of , is itself !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The partisanship in society is 50-50 or
    in electoral college votes its 304 to 227 or
    in popular vote its 63 million to 66 million

The partisanship in the media is 10% to 90%

I dont see that ratio as reflecting the partisanship in society.
    It merely reflects the medias bias. As Lara Logan said above , 86% of mainstream journalists are registered democrats and the other 14% were too lazy didnt bother to register..

I'm not sure I'd agree on the societal mix being 50:50 , but let's say that it is.

Why then are there not more Right wing outlets?

If the market is there , why aren't they represented?

20-30 years ago I can see that the barriers to entry for a new entrant would be quite high , but now those barriers aren't there.

But again, for me the single key issue is the total lack of a middle ground in the US.

Even there was a 50:50 representation of Left & Right , that's still awful..

It shouldn't be about "our side" vs. "Their side" , it should be about everyone.

The US seems to have fundamentally lost that , other places have lost it too - But none seem further disconnected than the USA right now and it's terrible to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone who thinks that MSNBC is equivalent to Fox in terms of journalism is taking false equivalency to new highs.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that MSNBC is equivalent to Fox in terms of journalism is taking false equivalency to new highs.

Don't know about that. Perhaps it's shifted a bit in the last few years, would need to find newer studies.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/02/26/msnbc-shakes-up-programming-strategy/msnbc2-25-2015/

"MSNBC’s strategy had also relied on positioning itself as a liberal alternative to Fox News. In 2008 and 2012, Pew Research found that MSNBC was more negative about Republican candidates than Fox News Channel was about Democratic candidates. MSNBC’s coverage of John McCain and Mitt Romney was 73% and 71% negative, respectively. In contrast, Fox News’ campaign coverage of Barack Obama was never more than 46% negative."

OyjI3Es.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Main stream right wing media in the states

fox-20080702-steinberg.jpg

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Main stream right wing media in the states

To be pedantic, those news sites are local affiliates and I wouldn't consider them mainstream with large audiences. When people say mainstream media they mean ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/CNN/MSNBC along with newspapers like WaPo, the NYT's and so on.

Obviously I agree its ridiculous that they're pandering the same talking point from the higher ups which correlates to propaganda, that should never happen and it's hugely damaging to any credibility they're seeking to garner.

To offer up a counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

The fact that some of the posters here are commenting on bias is laughable.

Only one who has totally suspended disbelief could still be lauding Trump.

I get the anti-corporation stuff, I get the america first-stuff, I get the distrust of the Clintons and the corporate arm of the DNC.

I can understand how middle america and the squeezed middle voted for him.

However, he is a disaster for the common person in the US. He's a billionare tax dodger backed by other billionaire tax dodgers.

He has done nothing for the common person and the non-furiously partisan ones are on to him. He and the Republicians will be gone next election cycle. He's simply not delivering anything to the people that he needs to vote for him again.

Midlife wrote: »
    He and the Republicians will be gone next election cycle. He's simply not delivering anything to the people that he needs to vote for him again.

I wouldn't fall into the trap of being super confident of a Dem winning, remember Trump already has a reliable guaranteed base and currently according to RCP his average job approval is 45% so no matter what happens the election will still be relatively close. Complacency can cost you states like we seen in 2016.

If Joe Biden runs I'd bet a decent chunk of money right now that he'll win, I think he would have won fairly comfortably in 2016 also. I bet a small amount on Trump in 2016, I was dissuaded somewhat from betting more because of the media polls, his odds were incredible even one day before the election.

Trump as of right now in the betting market is still the clear favourite, I'm surprised Harris is so high up, I suspect that will change if/when Biden announces his run.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2020/winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I'm following the Roger Stone on Twitter (@britaineakin). Things aren't looking so good for him as of this minute. Judge has taken a VERY dim view of that Instagram post and has openly doubted the sincerity of his apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Trump as of right now in the betting market is still the clear favourite, I'm surprised Harris is so high up, I suspect that will change if/when Biden announces his run.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2020/winner

Comparing a nominee's odds to the odds of primary candidates is apples and oranges stuff. A better comparison will be made when the Dems decide on a candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

His approval rating is hovering around 43% and he's actually seen an improvement in February despite everything that's happened. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Comparing a nominee's odds to the odds of primary candidates is apples and oranges stuff. A better comparison will be made when the Dems decide on a candidate.

I agree, my only point is that as of right now he has a decent chance of reelection so the prospect of a Dem winning shouldn't be taken for granted. That's subject to change of course, he might not even be around in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I agree, my only point is that as of right now he has a decent chance of reelection so the prospect of a Dem winning shouldn't be taken for granted. That's subject to change of course, he might not even be around in 2020.

I agree. One should never underestimate the ability of the Dems to find a way to shoot themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 icefrog

Dont know how he became the president

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

icefrog wrote: »

Im hoping Mueller does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Things are not looking good for Stone at his hearing. Bare minimum he can expect is a gag order which pretty much amounts to bankruptcy for him. Judge due to rule any minute

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

icefrog wrote:

Is this the type of debate on here over 2 years into the term?

jooksavage wrote: »
    Things are not looking good for Stone at his hearing. Bare minimum he can expect is a gag order which pretty much amounts to bankruptcy for him. Judge due to rule any minute

"Lock him up"????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

SNIP. No more insults please.

Rachel Maddow she a crazy person. I don't know how she has a job still in news. She was one of the idiots who laughed when people said Trump could win. She also a chicken hawk who promotes war on her channel.

I don't have much time for Fox News, but Tucker Carlson is an interesting cat he not afraid to talk about real issues.

Your posts make more sense now....

Stone has escaped jail (for now)

Modified gag Order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

jooksavage wrote: »

Why he should be entitled to talk to whoever he likes online, this just nonsense. Mueller using the same judge to gag everyone. Stone should ask for her removal.

Midlife wrote: »
    The fact that some of the posters here are commenting on bias is laughable.

Only one who has totally suspended disbelief could still be lauding Trump.

I get the anti-corporation stuff, I get the america first-stuff, I get the distrust of the Clintons and the corporate arm of the DNC.

I can understand how middle america and the squeezed middle voted for him.

However, he is a disaster for the common person in the US. He's a billionare tax dodger backed by other billionaire tax dodgers.

He has done nothing for the common person and the non-furiously partisan ones are on to him. He and the Republicians will be gone next election cycle. He's simply not delivering anything to the people that he needs to vote for him again.

Quarterly growth hitting over 4%
    African American unemployment lowest ever recorded
    Womens unemployment rate lowest in 65 years
    youth unemployment rate lowest in 50 years
    Median household income highest ever recorded
    over 400,000 manufacturing jobs created
    Manufacturing growth highest in 30 years

Could you clarify what you mean by
    " He has done nothing for the common people... he's simply not delivering anything to the people that he needs to vote for him again "

icefrog wrote: »

коллегия выборщиков
    kollegiya vyborshchikov

• Advertisement

Why he should be entitled to talk to whoever he likes online, this just nonsense.

He was, until he posted some crosshairs beside a pic of the judge's head
    Stone should ask for her removal.

He did. She told him where to go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement