Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

So Bernie is now a registered Democrat.. he must want the nomination real bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

RIGOLO wrote: »
    So Bernie is now a registered Democrat.. he must want the nomination real bad...
    Trump registered as a Republican in Manhattan in 1987 and since that time has changed his party affiliation five times. In 1999, Trump changed his party affiliation to the Independence Party of New York. In August 2001, Trump changed his party affiliation to Democratic. In September 2009, Trump changed his party affiliation back to the Republican Party. In December 2011, Trump changed to "no party affiliation" (independent). In April 2012, Trump again returned to the Republican Party.[24]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Donald_Trump

Its wiki I know, but the point being that Trump is not exactly a dyed in the wool republican.

unlike Mueller strangely enough!

rossie1977 wrote: »
    2020 should have been slam dunk for Trump

* Was left strong corporate economy by Obama
    * His policies have not yet had a major negative effect either financially or militarily (yes deficit and national debt have risen but that only matters when a dem is in office)
    * Gets 24/7 media coverage giving him free advertising. The us cable news only talk Trump it looks like. I doubt North Korean tv reference Kim as much :)
    * No real standout opponent for Democrats, the most talked about Dem is 29 years old so not eligible
    * It's extremely difficult to unseat a sitting president. Only 3 times since the 1930s has an incumbent lost a presidential election

I wouldnt agree with your synopsis.

But I hope you are right .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    A lot of Democratic candidates this time will have trouble standing out from each other.

It's what I liked about Klobuchar's stint in the headlines a few days ago. She was taking a different tack to the other candidates by talking about what she felt was practically feasible, as opposed to lofty idealistic goals.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/18/politics/klobuchar-pragmatic-approach/index.html

Then again, the headline "A novel pitch for the democratic nomination: Pragmatism" isn't reassuring for politics at large. I wouldn't mind most politicians being pragmatic.

Im going to have a HUGE bigly box of popcorn ready to watch the DNC race for the ticket . Its going to be epic. What a cast list ...

Booker, Klobuchar, Warren, Saunders, Kamala, to name but a few.
    Then all the actors on the sidelines like Maxime , AOC and Nancy launching their silos.

Who are CNN going to give the questions too this time for the debate ?

And the candidates will dig up so much dirt on each other, cos you know they will when the gloves come off and the race heats up, , I wonder what skeletons are there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dem primary will be boring enough. There is nobody the media are that interested in outside Harris and unless you have a situation where someone starts saying controversial things like Trump in 2016 or Casey in recent Irish presidential election most people won't be that interested.
    I think he's too left to get over the line, the low hanging fruit is just paint him as a communist and youve the rust belt gone,

being a jew is super easy pickings for other demographics , an effective campaign could seperate him from moderate working class people by painting him as a rich man who wants to grab more taxes.

Sanders won Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan in 2016 primary and that would be best time to try and smear. It's funny Sanders got 80% of the vote in Utah, winning every county. Trump is underwater approval rating wise in Utah. Be interesting to see if Sanders won nomination would he target Utah.

No Dem since LBJ has won Utah and you have to go back to Truman in 48 for previous Dem winner there

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dingaan

You see there you go again .. assuming what I think and drawn conclusions that are so far wrong, they could not be more wrong.

Yeah sure I think the voters are unfair... DONALD TRUMP IS THE POTUS !!!

Its okay to disagree,
    you call it massively unpopular..
    I call it between 39-42% according to the latest polls.. (and personally I think they have a biased)

If his approval rating is around 45 percent come election day then he has a great chance to win reelection. His approval rating in liberal states such as California(29) and New York(32) are dreadful which in return skews his overly rating negatively.
    These states will continue to vote Democrat in 2020 so shouldn't we shouldn't takes into account when assessing his chances.

According for Gallup his approval rating in key states are:
    Ohio 48
    Florida 43
    Pennsylvania 42
    Michigan 42
    Wisconsin 42

I expect Ohio will go red in 2020, and Florida favours the Republicans at the moment. Still even if Trump caries Florida he will need one of the other three states to win the election. Presuming his vote holds in Georgia and Arizona which are becoming swingy.

seamus wrote: »
    Right?

Literally, doing nothing would have been better than what he's done. Tread softly, make very few changes, allow Obama's policies to continue on. Outwardly make a few noises, be quirky and disruptive and get some publicity. But inwardly, don't do very much.

You'd nail the next election without having to do any real work.

Instead, in his time-honoured tradition he has gone about trying to tear up any legacy of his predecessor regardless of what harm it might do.

It's exactly what he has done in business, and it's why he is so bad at it.

All the democrats have to do is have some cohesiveness and present an uncontroverisal functioning adult for election and they'll take it. But they've proven that they're really bad at that too.

Bad at buisness,
    the guys home address is Trump Tower on Park Avenue, he weekends at his resort in Mar-a-Lago in Florida, and when he comes to visit all Ireland he stays at his golf resort on teh Wild Atlantic Way.... yeah sure bad at buisness..

Like the commentator said, Trump is the first President who took a step down in his accomodation to move into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Trump administration has been busy from day one, Trump tweets and the market twerks, China, the EU, NATO , NK, TPP, NAFTA ...the list goes on have all felt the swweping reforms the administration has inititated...
    Theres never been a busier President.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Bad at buisness,
    the guys home address is Trump Tower on Park Avenue, he weekends at his resort in Mar-a-Lago in Florida, and when he comes to visit all Ireland he stays at his golf resort on teh Wild Atlantic Way.... yeah sure bad at buisness..

Like the commentator said, Trump is the first President who took a step down in his accomodation to move into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Trump administration has been busy from day one, Trump tweets and the market twerks, China, the EU, NATO , NK, TPP, NAFTA ...the list goes on have all felt the swweping reforms the administration has inititated...

And unfortunatly for him, he's the most unpopular president anyone can remember.

His chance was really when they had both houses. All he got done was give a tax break which will easily be painted as a gift to the rich.

In 2017, the squeezed middle blamed 8 years of Obama and the Democrats.

Now they'll blame Trump.

Very hard to see a way out for him bar the democrats messing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭circadian

Bad at buisness,

I'd honestly question the quality of his residence in Trump Tower, especially when compared to the Whitehouse. Yeah it's not a penthouse in a gaudy 80s tower in Manhattan, but it is well built and full of class and character.

Mar-a-lago judging by the pictures of the omelette bar last week, is a half assed thrown together heap. I stayed at Trump in Vegas a few times as it was the cheapest available. It was grand, pretty standard Vegas fare except being stuck out in a literal wasteland at the end of the strip.

He's been bankrupt multiple times, his "university" was a scam. The list of business failures goes on and on. American banks won't even lend to him.

Yes he is bad at business. He's no Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭circadian

On another point, his trade wR is going to lead to 25million tons in soybeans going to waste.

https://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=soybeans

So 25 million X 382.35 = $9.6 billion.

A great businessman indeed.

circadian wrote: »
    I'd honestly question the quality of his residence in Trump Tower, especially when compared to the Whitehouse. Yeah it's not a penthouse in a gaudy 80s tower in Manhattan, but it is well built and full of class and character.

Mar-a-lago judging by the pictures of the omelette bar last week, is a half assed thrown together heap. I stayed at Trump in Vegas a few times as it was the cheapest available. It was grand, pretty standard Vegas fare except being stuck out in a literal wasteland at the end of the strip.

He's been bankrupt multiple times, his "university" was a scam. The list of business failures goes on and on. American banks won't even lend to him.

Yes he is bad at business. He's no Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos that's for sure.

Mar-a-lago.. a thrown together heap...

So you stayed in a Trump hotel .. Seems Trump was a good enough buisness man to get your hard earned cash ..
    Midlife wrote: »
    And unfortunatly for him, he's the most unpopular president anyone can remember.

His chance was really when they had both houses. All he got done was give a tax break which will easily be painted as a gift to the rich.

Now they'll blame Trump.

He got loads done in the first 2 years.. all that was reported and commented on ad-hominem by the anti-Trumpers was the tax break.

Check some of my posts over the last 2 years, Ive listed plenty of the Trump Administration achievements ..

Im still excited about The Trump Administration push for a Space Force , I know thats SPD-4 but given the context of SPD-1 I think Trump is really pushing to get an American back on the moon.

Id see that as an achievement , especially if it happened by Nov 2020, unlikely so maybe it will be after in term 2.

Planting a MAGA hat on the moon... can you imagine it (okay thats a joke , lighten up everyone )

But wouldnt that be cool .

Donald Trump presiding over the US going back to Mare Tranquilliitatis .

Our kids looking up at the night sky once again and thinking of a Man or Woman on the moon . I think its about time a woman went.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Midlife wrote: »

Now they'll blame Trump.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37982000

According to the BBC's promise tracker he's actually got a lot done, considering this is slightly out of date and the wall has started plus under 'deport all illegal immigrants' it says nothing done, when ICE data shows a massive increase in deportations : https://www.ice.gov/features/ERO-2018 and trump is telling foreign countries to take back their terrorists.

Im still excited about The Trump Administration push for a Space Force , I know thats SPD-4 but given the context of SPD-1 I think Trump is really pushing to get an American back on the moon.

Id see that as an achievement , especially if it happened by Nov 2020, unlikely so maybe it will be after in term 2.

Planting a MAGA hat on the moon... can you imagine it (okay thats a joke , lighten up everyone )

But wouldnt that be cool .

Donald Trump presiding over the US going back to Mare Tranquilliitatis .

Our kids looking up at the night sky once again and thinking of a Man or Woman on the moon . I think its about time a woman went.

Unfortunately that is not what Trump is thinking off in terms of Space force. He thinks he is going to set up a military base in the sky.

And it funny, because will call out the dems for the cost of healthcare, for social insurance etc, but this would cost billions.

I agree that the US should be looking to regain its mantle of being at the forefront. Even Apple have been caught up by Samsung. It just seems that the US is not pushing the envelope as they used to, and IMO that is indicated most by Trump continued call back to coal rather than seeing the possibilities that renewables provide.

Instead of demanding 6g? (no idea what he is talking about) he should be demanding that all people get access to high speed broadband. That all children are taught coding and computer skills.

But Trump likes his vanity projects and increasing funding to education doesn't make a headline in the way a SPACE FORCE does.

According to the BBC's promise tracker he's actually got a lot done, considering this is slightly out of date and the wall has started plus under 'deport all illegal immigrants' it says nothing done, when ICE data shows a massive increase in deportations : https://www.ice.gov/features/ERO-2018 and trump is telling foreign countries to take back their terrorists.

But telling other countries that the US won't take back theirs!

interesting link.

but thats kind of sad, it says it all about the media and their bias and their agenda ...

The BBC are running a PROMISE TRACKER ... how pathetic is that .

"Now Jeremy instead of doing any real journalism lets just cut over to our Donald Trump Promise Tracker and compare that with the Promise Tracker we had for POTUS 44 "

But I guess if thats what the clickers want , who am I to argue..

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that is not what Trump is thinking off in terms of Space force. He thinks he is going to set up a military base in the sky.

And it funny, because will call out the dems for the cost of healthcare, for social insurance etc, but this would cost billions.

I agree that the US should be looking to regain its mantle of being at the forefront. Even Apple have been caught up by Samsung. It just seems that the US is not pushing the envelope as they used to, and IMO that is indicated most by Trump continued call back to coal rather than seeing the possibilities that renewables provide.

Instead of demanding 6g? (no idea what he is talking about) he should be demanding that all people get access to high speed broadband. That all children are taught coding and computer skills.

But Trump likes his vanity projects and increasing funding to education doesn't make a headline in the way a SPACE FORCE does.

Wrong , TRump is following both paths , military and exploration

SPACE FORCE is a branch of the military
    NASA is a seperate entity altogether.. any cross over is tbd at this stage.

So once again the Trump admin doesnt just deliver on one thing , we get 2, he drives forward with not 1 but 2 agendas , a Military Space agenda and a return to the moon and stop using Russian rockets to send US astros to ISS, he will take a few years to roll back the damage obama did to the the US and NASA ..

HOW BARACK OBAMA RUINED NASA -
    https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/technology/322918-how-barack-obama-ruined-nasa-space-exploration

But you talked about exploration, a woman on the moon, little kids looking to the night sky and dreaming.

So the military part is not needed. I agree with you on the exploration, which NASA has continued to do over the years. Mars rover and landing on the comet etc. Amazing stuff and something to be proud of.

But again, he is not really focused on that, its about space ranger and Buck Rodgers.

And unfortunately it wasn't just Obama, the whole of the US turned its back on NASA. Too costly, too dangerous, too boring.

But you talked about exploration, a woman on the moon, little kids looking to the night sky and dreaming.

So the military part is not needed. I agree with you on the exploration, which NASA has continued to do over the years. Mars rover and landing on the comet etc. Amazing stuff and something to be proud of.

But again, he is not really focused on that, its about space ranger and Buck Rodgers.

And unfortunately it wasn't just Obama, the whole of the US turned its back on NASA. Too costly, too dangerous, too boring.

Wrong again.

SPD-1
    SPD-2
    SPD-3
    SPD-4

google them,
    they tell you all you need to know about Trumps administration drive for a dual agenda both a SPACE FORCE Military and a NASA low earth Space Exploration program .

• Advertisement

Trump signs lots of things. He knows he needs cover as simply running a the idea of a military base on the moon was never going to get anywhere. So he tacks on so other stuff so people can get all excited about it.

Its crazy that people fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Sorry, when i said only got the tax cut done, I was referring to things Trump has done through congress when he had both houses.

Everything else can be undone fairly quickly, just ask Obama.

None of his 'wins', tough on China, Iran, new NAFTA deal, muslim ban etc, will matter to the rust belt voters he needs.

He should have gone with the 1 trillion infrastructure plan rather than the wall.

Trump signs lots of things. He knows he needs cover as simply running a the idea of a military base on the moon was never going to get anywhere. So he tacks on so other stuff so people can get all excited about it.

Its crazy that people fall for it.

What you mean the Space Force Coin I bought from the White House gift shop is meaningless... That cost a $100 bucks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I believe that Trump is a very dangerous man. He might even be mentally unstable - his actions certainly seem to suggest that.
    His attempts to give nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia is worrisome and his constant lying about multiple issues shows his contempt for honesty.
    The middle class in the USA have not benefited from his tax break: only the very wealthy have.
    His championing of dictators around the world; Putin, KIm, Duterte et al says a lot about his moral turpitude.
    The deficit in the USA is spiralling and will eventually cause recessionary activity.
    He encourages, by his tweets, reprehensible violence against other American citizens by right-wing supporters.
    There is much more that is too plentiful to go into here.
    Muellers report, I think, will be the beginning of the end of his presidency. It might take some time but all decent people who believe in honour from their leaders will encourage the Congress to bring it to pass.
    That is my opinion - I will not engage with any other posters who push his dishonest agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone arguing that Trump is a fantastic business man must have fallen on their head as a child.

Multiple bankrupt business, including a casino (who the **** can't run a casino) even though daddy trump bailed him out with 3m in cash, having to get Russian banks to back him because American banks wouldn't touch him, multiple law suits including most recently Trump College and all the while using the Trump Org like a personal checking account.

The myth that he was a self made billionaire has exploded.

Even as president he can't negotiate to save his life (pleading on the phone to the mexican president not to mention his reluctance to pay for the wall/opting for a shutdown which cost the economy 11 billion) all the while his election promise of halving the deficit in 6 months has gone to exploding it within 2 years.

Do you still believe that his accounts are bing audited and that's why he won't release them? Give me a break.

Find yourself a better role model ffs.

Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

So you stayed in a Trump hotel .. Seems Trump was a good enough buisness man to get your hard earned cash ..

His hotels in Atlantic city were s**tholes. You stayed there only if you were on a minimum budget. The fact that these places went bust should be irrefutable evidence of his inability to run any sort of business.

You are obviously impressed by the man: its no accident that they say that Trump is "A poor mans idea of a rich man and a fools idea of a smart man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Out of what he has delivered half of them are standard US president jobs. If you have to use the supreme court to pad it out there isn't much.

A Trump supporter should be accusing that list of being a Cointon smear job, not promoting it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The inability to make money from a casino always strikes as a particular silver bullet against claims of Trump possessing peerless business acumen.

That and selling frozen steaks out of Sharper Image.
    Or his attempt to start a rival to the NFL (though not 100% sure he was the lead on this)
    Or Trump airlines.
    Or Trump University.
    Or Trump Vodka.
    Or Trump Mortgages (he was quoted in 2006 that this was a strong market with many years in it!)

I mean sure, his shotgun approach to starting branded ideas probably means there's a "stopped clock" element to his success. He seems to have dozens of ideas on the go, but half of them feel like opportunism than savviness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

everlast75 wrote: »
    Anyone arguing that Trump is a fantastic business man must have fallen on their head as a child.

Multiple bankrupt business, including a casino (who the **** can't run a casino) even though daddy trump bailed him out with 3m in cash, having to get Russian banks to back him because American banks wouldn't touch him, multiple law suits including most recently Trump College and all the while using the Trump Org like a personal checking account.

The myth that he was a self made billionaire has exploded.

Even as president he can't negotiate to save his life (pleading on the phone to the mexican president not to mention his reluctance to pay for the wall/opting for a shutdown which cost the economy 11 billion) all the while his election promise of halving the deficit in 6 months has gone to exploding it within 2 years.

Do you still believe that his accounts are bing audited and that's why he won't release them? Give me a break.

Find yourself a better role model ffs.

Cognitive dissonance at its finest.

I don't think anyone bar Donald Trump considers himself to be a successful business man. His father was a successful man. Trump like everyone else invested in property has made a fortune from the inflation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That is, to put it mildly, a contested statement. People think that Trump came up with the idea of Space Force as a military branch on his own, but it's actually been talked about in professional circles for some two decades, with the real impetus coming in the last five or so years. Indeed, the last defense budget signed by Obama removed the word 'limited' in the policy section on operations in space, and the House passed a bill to mandate the creation of a Space Force in early 2017, several months before Trump made his much lampooned announcement in June.

The creation of Space Force is being viewed pretty similarly right now to the debate on the creation of the Air Force in the 1940s, with many of the same arguments being repeated about how there is no need for the independent arm. After all, the US Army won WW2 without a separate Air Force branch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement