Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I expect there will be a Coin issued, I will probably pick it up . Ive got a nice collection coming together including some cool challenge coins. I digress...

The Anti-Trumpers call it 'distractionary tactics '

Remember the last summit?

The one where Trump got a nice letter and Kim got the photo-op and international legitimacy and continued with missile development?

I'd love to get my hands on one of the coins that commemorated that one.

So heres another example of why keeping the Senate was so important.

Donald Trump has been able to get his nominee Eric Miller thru the Senate and onto the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. He will become the 3rd Trump appointee on it.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-week/trump-ninth-circuit-nominee-eric-miller-advances-in-senate-2

Speaking of distractions, will you be watching Cohen testify?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The one where Trump got a nice letter and Kim got the photo-op and international legitimacy and continued with missile development?

The one he never actually read? Yet said it was a lovely letter

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

I have one of the coins for the Singapore Summit , Id recommend it, you would be impressed by the quality, I believe they were Made in the USA .
    Its logo is 'NEW ERA NEW GENERATION NEW HOPE NEW LEADERSHIP.
    Im admiring it as I type.

Its great to have something that commemorates a change in history.

NK has had 6 Nuclear tests
    1 in 2006 approx 2 KiloTon
    1 in 2009 approx 5 kiloton
    1 in 2013 approx 12 kiloton
    2 in 2016 16 kiloton and 25 kiloton (we all remember Obama admin "strategic patience " policy )
    and
    1 in 2017 US inteligence estimate 140 KILOTON .. I take it posters will see the pattern

since the summit there has been none .

Im happy with that, others call it being played. We differ , thats okay .

I would say that that was a likely outcome of the roof caving in on their testing facility but that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

2 in 2016 16 kiloton and 25 kiloton (we all remember Obama admin "strategic patience " policy )
    and
    1 in 2017 US inteligence estimate 140 KILOTON .. I take it posters will see the pattern

And this has nothing to do with the fact that they had finished development and didn't need to "test" anymore?

Or nothing to do with achieving the other goal of the tests , namely getting the US to the table and getting recognition as a "nuclear power".

Or the fact that they are still building weapons in multiple facilities (just not testing them)

Or the fact that even though they no longer needed to "test" their weapons they got Trump to cancel the military maneuvers thereby impacting readiness in the region in return for absolutely nothing of consequence?

What will Trump give up this time in return for NK not doing something they don't plan or need to do anyway?

All in the vain hope that somebody gives him a Nobel prize..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I have one of the coins for the Singapore Summit , Id recommend it, you would be impressed by the quality, I believe they were Made in the USA .
    Its logo is 'NEW ERA NEW GENERATION NEW HOPE NEW LEADERSHIP.
    Im admiring it as I type.

Its great to have something that commemorates a change in history.

and

Perhaps you need to get familiar with this list
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_with_nuclear_weapons?wprov=sfla1 and understand why there is the alarm that North Korea, or Iran, aren't allowed test

• Registered Users Posts: 33,713 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cohen has entered the room. Should be starting very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I missed the start.

What in the hell is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Schnitzler Hiyori Geta

Streams started now - CSPAN one requires log-in using US cable provider, so use the youtube link I posted earlier.

• Advertisement

Reps already trying to have the hearing delayed on technicalities and now delaying as much as possible.

It's on CNN, Sky News, Bloomberg, probably every British and American news channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1100771236496388101

Is that important,anybody?

"Beginning in March, we were unequivocal that the NDA & payments would be traced to Trump & were criminal. We repeatedly stated Cohen, Trump, Sanders, Schwartz, etc. were lying. In early April (before the warrants), we predicted Cohen would flip/pose a huge threat to Trump"

It's documentary evidence that Trump committed campaign finance violations, I presume.

Gbear wrote: »
    It's on CNN, Sky News, Bloomberg, probably every British and American news channel.
    You'd think given they knew about it they would have put in on their EPG

amandstu wrote: »

"Beginning in March, we were unequivocal that the NDA & payments would be traced to Trump & were criminal. We repeatedly stated Cohen, Trump, Sanders, Schwartz, etc. were lying. In early April (before the warrants), we predicted Cohen would flip/pose a huge threat to Trump"

It means Cohen paid off Stormy Daniels from his own money just before the election in order to not damage Trump's election chances. It was therefore money used for election purposes which wasn't declared. The check from Trump to Cohen is him paying Cohen back, showing Trump knew about it and had agreed it with Cohen.

It therefore constitutes campaign finance violations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ooh! I had an account at that same branch that Trump cut the check to Cohen that Cohen presented! I must've walked in the same place as Trump! Go, me!

:P

O.K. it seems a bit weird, this was just a retail bank outlet on a streetcorner (not too far from Trump tower, tbf). Good place to fly below the radar I suppose when paying people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

Penn wrote: »
    It means Cohen paid off Stormy Daniels from his own money just before the election in order to not damage Trump's election chances. It was therefore money used for election purposes which wasn't declared. The check from Trump to Cohen is him paying Cohen back, showing Trump knew about it and had agreed it with Cohen.

It therefore constitutes campaign finance violations.
    What was or is Trump's version? Will this change it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,696 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm taking that that is relative to the 11 cheques Cohen testified he got from Don. If MC cashed them in and there was no objection from the bank to that, then Don can't claim there was no payment. Hopefully the cheques have his name printed on them.

Extremely forceful opening statements by Rep Cummings. He hasn't pulled his punches going after prior committees that have done an ass covering job on themselves and the president, and the President himself, picking out examples from Cohen's testimony.

Now some garbage from Rep Jordan (R). He's making some spurious points about the potential truthfulness of Cohen and poisoning the well, because he's been previously convicted of lying to congress, despite obviously being cognisant of why he did that and how any deception at this point would have no purpose and just end up putting him away for even longer.

An incredible, shameless display of craven bootlicking.

• Advertisement

Jim Jordan running serious interference here for Trump... but he's talking absolute nonsense. All the various talking points jumbled into a word-soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Gbear wrote: »
    Extremely forceful opening statements by Rep Cummings. He hasn't pulled his punches going after prior committees that have done an ass covering job on themselves and the president, and the President himself, picking out examples from Cohen's testimony.

Now some garbage from Rep Jordan (R). He's making some spurious points about the potential truthfulness of Cohen and poisoning the well, because he's been previously convicted of lying to congress, despite obviously being cognisant of why he did that and how any deception at this point would have no purpose and just end up putting him away for even longer.

An incredible, shameless display of craven bootlicking.

Jordan is the head of the 'Freedom Caucus.' First (and hopefully last) time I ever hear him speak. What an odious worm, pressing the 'The Clinton's are behind this! The Clinton's!' Now he's whining about not following the rules. Hard to be cynical enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Trump is being played again. 'Little rocket man' is unlikely to let bygones be bygones. The N. Koreans are famous for looking like they are playing ball when they aren't. Kim knows if he's no nukes he'll be over run.

I think there is no doubt that Trump has achieved things with regard to NK that HC would not have. She is too much of a hawk and conventional politician.

Dialogue is the way forward and bringing NK into the real world would be of great benefit to its citizens. I would like to give Trump credit for that but his intemperate language (friend, really?) and his delight in sucking up to dictators is sickening to see from a US President.

While the methodology is grotesque and motivation questionable, history may see things differently.

What was or is Trump's version? Will this change it?

Trump's version has constantly changed. Didn't happen... May have happened... Happened but I didn't know about it... Happened but was a mistake... Happened but isn't illegal... Cohen's a liar about everything

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

"Protect my family from presidential threats " . . ouch . .

But can anything actually damage trump at this stage ? he's like Teflon Bertie, nothing sticks to him. .

The cheque and the auction bidder documents seem to be smoking guns, but the letters Cohen wrote himself don't seem like they are that valid - it's just his allegation that Trump instructed him to write them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Drumpot wrote: »
    "Protect my family from presidential threats " . . ouch . .

But can anything actually damage trump at this stage ? he's like Teflon Bertie, nothing sticks to him. .

Bertie had to resign in the end!

There's very little doubt in my mind that Cohen is a liar, but that he lied at the behest of and under the thumb of Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Ultros

Listening to Cohen lecture about morality is like listening to Joseph Fritzl lecture about childcare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Bertie had to resign in the end!

Ah now come on, Bertie didn't pay anything for his dodgy dealings. When he resigned the financial crisis hit and Cowan was left to take the full brunt of decisions made under Berties watch . .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement