Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

His name is Mister Generic Democrat.

The election is in 2020.
    And we all remember what the polls said on the eve of the 2016 election, and we know how that turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

RIGOLO wrote: »
    The election is in 2020.
    And we all remember what the polls said on the eve of the 2016 election, and we know how that turned out.

They said he had a 30 percent chance of winning.

I'm not sure what your point is unless you're one of those people who think that no event can happen without a 50+ percentage probability.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Looks like Stone may be going to prison...

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1100823815842660353?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

everlast75 wrote: »
    Looks like Stone may be going to prison...

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1100823815842660353?s=19

Stupid watergate

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

They said he had a 30 percent chance of winning.

I'm not sure what your point is unless you're one of those people who think that no event can happen without a 50+ percentage probability.

Where did the GOP find these lying looneys? Bob Gibbs, Clay Higgins, Jim Jordan? Clay Higgins just said he didn’t know who Michael Cohen was until today, has he been living under a rock the past few years? If these Republicans were actors in a movie, I’d want my money back, they come across as such bumbling idiots, I can’t imagine any one, let alone a politician being so stupid!

• Advertisement

SeamusFX wrote: »
    Where did the GOP find these lying looneys? Bob Gibbs, Clay Higgins, Jim Jordan? Clay Higgins just said he didn’t know who Michael Cohen was until today, has he been living under a rock the past few years? If these Republicans were actors in a movie, I’d want my money back, they come across as such bumbling idiots, I can’t imagine any one, let alone a politician being so stupid!

Outside of Amash, all they seem to do is yell about boxes, book deals and how Cohen lied for Trump.

Ultros wrote: »
    Daily Beast on Cohen wanting a white house job. IIRC it widely reported he wanted to be chief of staff

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1100793681253146624?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

If the republicans are competent, they should be able to nail him on this fairly easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

these republicans are really good at acting mad..... it really is like all the movies.....how is Cohen not exhausted ? I think Cohen is doing quite well.... he isn't crying and screaming like Judge Kavanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Seeing as Jim Jordan is happy to live by ad hominems against Cohen, I suppose he's fair game as well:

https://twitter.com/RachaelBL/status/1100778305039622150
    Former athletes who wrestled for U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan when he served as an assistant coach at Ohio State now say he knew team doctor Richard Strauss sexually abused athletes but Jordan failed to report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭Christy42

Republicans can repeat this strategy essentially forever.

Pretty much by definition anyone high up in the regime is a serial liar (unless they have just not said anything). So they can keep trying to use the fact that they lied for Trump as evidence they are lying against Trump (and ignoring that the lied for Trump may be important).

• Advertisement

I thought mr. roy was going to cry :(

Chip Roy 2020 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Out of the whole Cohen testimony, the news here in NZ chose to quote him talking about ensuring a portrait of Trump was sold for the most money at some particular auction. It generated $60k.
    Lucky nothing of substance came out of it to have to report on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Chip Roy 2020 ?

I was watching parts of the coverage and Chip Roy was there and it showed his whole amount and I liked him right up to the end. Now I maybe a bit biased here due to having a relative with terminal cancer but for him to use his cancer as some kind of emotional blackmail made me mad and I normally don't get mad with these discussions as I think they are all as bad as each other at times but to use a disease to many in America who because of changes to healthcare fight by both sides is tough is to be beyond the pale to me

I thought mr. roy was going to cry :(

I was waiting for the quiver in his voice. Read my post above why I did not like it

Jim Jordan said Cohen, like Comey and McCabe is someone who is mad because he was fired and he said the American people see this. Well as an American, I see Cohen repenting for his crimes and I see liars like Jordan and other Republicans attacking him purely for political reasons and ignoring the Many crimes, lies and transgressions of Trump.

Jim Jordan said Cohen, like Comey and McCabe is someone who is mad because he was fired and he said the American people see this. Well as an American, I see Cohen repenting for his crimes and I see liars like Jordan and other Republicans attacking him purely for political reasons and ignoring the Many crimes, lies and transgressions of Trump.

I would not say he was repenting I say it was to get a lighter sentence and a better place to do it. You think he would be thinking I get a old pardon if I say nothing. Unless he knows of something far worse down the line

I would not say he was repenting I say it was to get a lighter sentence and a better place to do it. You think he would be thinking I get a old pardon if I say nothing. Unless he knows of something far worse down the line

Cohen has nothing to gain by today’s testimony. He’s already been sentenced, so he can’t get a lighter sentence.

John Dean is on CNN at the moment, drawing parallels to his testimony over Watergate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,547 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Assuming partisanship must hold sway, was anyone truly surprised by the GOPs tactic? It's arguable that in certain quarters they've only become bolder in their lies and hypocracies, probably by dint of their president, himself swaddled in near constant, provable bullsh*t.

They can't refute the accusations - and Cohen's scarcely the first underling to rat out his boss in exchange for favourable sentencing (I get that's not on the cards today) - so all they can do is attack the character, and increase the signal to noise ratio. Make it about Cohen, rather than Trump. It's a solid plan, if nakedly scheming.

IMO, the party of Lincoln, Eisenhower, conservatism and fiscal prudence is long dead, replaced with a braying, bullying, irresponsible mess that's attempts to cling to power are just one Emergency Legislation away from something more sinister. The rhetoric, the gerrymandering, voter supression, cronyism in the administration. It's all a bit tinpot. It's kinda sad really.

(And lest anyone thinks I'm being bias, the Democrats are tearing themselves apart, the catchall of centre to left members finally beginning to show genuine intellectual cracks)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,718 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Cohen has nothing to gain by today’s testimony. He’s already been sentenced, so he can’t get a lighter sentence.

I think it has been said even by Cohen that further cooperation with ongoing investigations means he may be able to reduce his jail time.

However, the Reps are painting that as Cohen is lying to them in the hearing to get a reduction in jail time. In actuality, its his cooperation with the investigations, both previously and possible future cooperation, which would have to have corroborating evidence and lead to possible prosecutions, which means he can apply for, but is not guaranteed, reduced jail time.

In order to get that, he would absolutely have to tell the truth to these committees, because lying to them would likely increase his jail time and prevent him from being able to apply for reduced jail time (an Article 35 I believe they called it).

The reps don't see how that means Cohen is more likely to tell the truth, but trying to play it like Cohen will say anything to try get reduced jail time and is therefore lying plays better for the cameras.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I stopped watching, it's nothing more than a circus.

GOP: Cohen you're a liar. Your pants are on fire

Dems: Thank you for your brave testimony.

Repeat.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Penn wrote: »
    The reps don't see how that means Cohen is more likely to tell the truth, but trying to play it like Cohen will say anything to try get reduced jail time and is therefore lying plays better for the cameras.

To be clear, they see it perfectly well. They just know that the fundamental con of the Republican party requires hoodwinking their base to continually vote against their own interests to support their oligarchal aims.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Brian? wrote: »
    I stopped watching, it's nothing more than a circus.

GOP: Cohen you're a liar. Your pants are on fire

Dems: Thank you for your brave testimony.

Repeat.

There's more to it than that, if you look out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Haha,

Cohen just said that the president repeatedly broke the law, is a liar, a cheat, a racist and a tax dodger.

Not a single person said he was wrong.

Even Trumps sons didn't defend him.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Michael Cohen lies to congress before in a pro trump manor- > this thread : he's a liar, guilty guilty guilty

Michael Cohen says more things to congress today -> this thread : Look at the truth, this is a completely accurate statement, nothing to see here.

Michael Cohen lies to congress before in a pro trump manor- > this thread : he's a liar, guilty guilty guilty

Michael Cohen says more things to congress today -> this thread : Look at the truth, this is a completely accurate statement, nothing to see here.

There's documentary evidence and he has nothing to gain by lying, given that he'll be taken to the cleaners if he was caught again.

Don't insult our intelligence with this garbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

And 'the thread' was correct in their assumption. He's been found guilty of lying to Congress.
    Michael Cohen lies to congress before in a pro trump manor- > this thread : he's a liar, guilty guilty guilty...

I'm going to bet the thread will be 2 for 2.

So what is your point? That most posters on this thread were correct in their previous assumption?
    ...Michael Cohen says more things to congress today -> this thread : Look at the truth, this is a completely accurate statement, nothing to see here.

You’re living in Upside Down World again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Im just saying the man is a liar, dont be fawning over his testimony as the truth or as any kind of evidence because it suits your agenda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement