Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

RIGOLO, since you're cheerleading the US economy again, I'll ask you this again:
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    The deficit is $985bn, up from $665bn in 2017. The national debt is $22tn, up from $20tn in 2017.

Are these increases good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

everlast75 wrote: »
    So, like Trump, are you being selective?

You are saying he should be believed when he said he was never in Prague.

Does that mean everything else he said is true?

Still waiting on an answer RIGOLO....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

RIGOLO, since you're cheerleading the US economy again, I'll ask you this again:

That's the important point but a lot of people in America simply don't understand the long term implications of a burgeoning deficit. I'm sure some posters will point to this and that stat about wages/unemployment figures/growth etc., such as they are, but Trump is plundering their children's future. I do think the fact that so many Trump supporters simply ignore realities such as climate change, Trump's multiple crimes, the disregard for ordinary people and so on, means that they would also dismiss the deficit - even if they understood it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Only an anti-Trumper economist could think averaging less than 2% real GDP growth whilst adding $9 Trillion to the national debt was an achievement.

Edit ( and as any decent economist would know , Obamas limp 2% GDP rates were on a 15 trillion dollar economy,
    Trump is hitting 4% on a 20 trillion dollar economy. )

You are willfully ignoring the state of the US economy when Obama was elected. Fine. No point in trying to debate with you.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seems that maybe Ivanka Trump'll be getting some attention as part of Muellers investigation. Not the innocent she'd like the world to believehttps://www.salon.com/2019/02/28/after-cohens-testimony-how-much-longer-can-ivanka-trump-play-dumb/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,641 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

How can any American continue to believe that Trump is MAGA when he just insulted Otto and his family for the sake of his new friend?

The most powerful man in the world, leading the most powerful country to world has ever known is willing to simply forget the death of a fellow citizen in case he annoys his new friend.

It is pathetic, vile, cowardly.

To then come out today and say he was misinterpreted is yet another example that it is always about him. When are people going to realise that he doesn't care about them. It's all about himself and how he feels and how important he wants to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Leroy42 wrote: »
    How can any American continue to believe that Trump is MAGA when he just insulted Otto and his family for the sake of his new friend?

The most powerful man in the world, leading the most powerful country to world has ever known is willing to simply forget the death of a fellow citizen in case he annoys his new friend.

It is pathetic, vile, cowardly.

To then come out today and say he was misinterpreted is yet another example that it is always about him. When are people going to realise that he doesn't care about them. It's all about himself and how he feels and how important he wants to be.

That cringe worthy tweet wasn't written by Trump. Every so often one of his minions manages to take his phone and find an intern to type something vaguely coherent to attempt to repair yet another Trump turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,641 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The tweet is the least troubling part of the sorry affair.

Trump made maximum political capital out of getting Otto home but when dace to face with the man ultimately responsible he not only took the cowards way out but compounded it by backing KJU.

And he has the cheek to say he is making the US respected again?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Long term he's such a disaster for America.

Not only has his presidency messed up the future of his own business but it's messing up the future of America's.

Aside from internet cranks and people activly looking for an argument, everyone just can't stand him.

Bye bye brand Trump and bye bye brand USA. China must be praying he gets 4 more years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Lads if I were you I would simply add Rigolo to the ignore list. His comments mirror postings from the /pol sections of reddit which are hardly the most intellectual arguments about politics. They are about one step above twitter postings and about an even level of incoherence as a youtube comment.

As for Trump, he is nothing short of an absolute failure in every regard. His economic plan has added $2trillion dollars of debt to the US. He has shut down the government during one of the most important times in the retail and service economy, Christmas and New Years, and to absolutely no end. And now he has given up any sort of check of North Korea's nuclear program for a quick and easy sell to Fox News and other right wing pundits that he is a masterclass in negotiating foreign policy. Despite ripping up a nuclear deal that actually had checks and balances on capabilities, in Iran, just so he could tear down Obama's legacy.

And I see Cuba has now given backing to Maduro's government in Venezuela. I wonder if that has anything to do with the agreement Trump ripped up? I mean, if Trump followed through with Obama's promises to Cuba on increased investment and trade between Cuba and the USA, would they have backed Maduro? I highly doubt it. Soft power and light touch diplomacy in these kinds of situations make all the difference. But Trump has no clue about how to garner soft power, he only know brute force tactics. Which is a major problem because as much as right wing Libertarians like to treat government as something akin to business, and best run as such, it simply is nothing like it. Business like tactics do not work in international diplomacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,724 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Igotadose wrote: »
    Seems that maybe Ivanka Trump'll be getting some attention as part of Muellers investigation. Not the innocent she'd like the world to believehttps://www.salon.com/2019/02/28/after-cohens-testimony-how-much-longer-can-ivanka-trump-play-dumb/

Article claims Ivanka isn't "innocent, naive or ditzy". To be fair, she was never portrayed as the latter two

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Brian? wrote: »
    Is this a joke or are you being willfully ignorant? Obama was elected when the US economy was on it's knees and turned it around. The performance of the economy from 2009-2017 was pretty great, wouldn't you agree?

Trump took over a buoyant economy. He deserves credit for not crashing it so far. That's all he really deserves credit for, he's ridden the coat tails of the economic recovery that got Obama elected for a 2nd term and continued all the way through his 2nd term and into Trump's first.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/18/trump-economy-versus-obama-economy/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6d6e19b514e6

So I guess thats your way of saying you couldnt find an article in Reuters, Bloomberg, YAHOO Finance, money.cnn, BuisnessINsider, The Economist or FT crediting Obama in relation to the record breaking GDP numbers just announced by the US Department of Commerce Bureau of Economic Analysis, on a stellar 12 month GDP streak , non residential fixed investment growth, personal savings rate growth, disposable personal income growth...... perhaps if you go back further you might.

but you did find some numbers in Jeff Bezos WaPo to support your case. ...:eek: . Excuse me if my world has not crumbled around me.

Thats okay you use WaPo for your US Economic news , and base your opinion on your interpretation of those articles ..

I use Reuters, Bloomberg, YAHOO Finance, money.cnn, BuisnessINsider, The Economist or FT and use them to aid my opinion.

You support your guy who added 9 trillion in debt to a 15 trillion economy whilst averaging less than 2% real GDP

I support my guy who is close to averaging 3% with a high of 4% in a 20 trillon dollar economy whilst adding a fraction of your guy , in relative terms to the debt

Obama tweets and his loyal followers swoon , and Hollywood re-tweets

TRump tweets and tens of thousand of analysts (Twitter followers) in the Investment houses review their positions calls,puts,options etc, millions of day traders open up portfolios , by the end of that day tens of millions of workers review their 401ks , and market indices from Shanghai to FRankfurt all push their servers to the limits as they handle the volume of changes.

Job openings hit a record high
    Unemployment rates hitting record lows
    Stock Markets hits record highs
    African American unemployment hitting record lows
    Buisnees OPtimism hitting highs
    Food Stamps recipients falling
    Small buisness startups booming
    Small business regulations reduced
    US Manufacturing optimism and openings on the up

And the anti-Trumpers still roll out the its the Obama economy. I expect they will continue to do that even through Trumps second term.

Its the weekend, Saturday morning , my favourie time of the week , as I stock up on tea and fresh bread and read all about TRumps Administration triumphs for the US economy .

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

I use Reuters, Bloomberg, YAHOO Finance, money.cnn, BuisnessINsider, The Economist or FT and use them to aid my opinion.
    Its the weekend, Saturday morning , my favourie time of the week , as I stock up on tea and fresh bread and read all about TRumps Administration triumphs for the US economy .

Amazing that you can read all that, subscribe to all those paid sites and still not be able to answer a question that calls for you to critically analyse a situation or make a sensible comparison.

I wonder is it because you simply can't do it or is it because you realise that your positions fall apart under scrutiny.

Anyway, bit of a joke that you were talking about the need to teach history in second level schools. Like a flat-earther callling for more Science classses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

And the anti-Trumpers still roll out the its the Obama economy. I expect they will continue to do that even through Trumps second term.
    Seriously, why can you not see the direction the economy was going when Obama took over and the direction he left it? For the 100th time when Obama took over it was the middle of a massive recession, major bail outs were required, some of which Bush set it in motion. At the end of his administration all the numbers were trending up. When Trump took over, the economy was positive, the exact opposite of 2008 but yet to keep all the figures in the same positive direction he has sold his soul (and the country out) and the results are no better. He has just put everything on the credit card. The shutdown shows how everyone is living day by day in America and everything is bought in credit. If (when) another crisis hits it will be exponentially worse for the average American thanks to Trump's childlike, short sighted policies.
    Its the weekend, Saturday morning , my favourie time of the week , as I stock up on tea and fresh bread and read all about TRumps Administration triumphs for the US economy
    You must be starving because that is a very short read

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So I guess thats your way of saying you couldnt find an article in Reuters, Bloomberg, YAHOO Finance, money.cnn, BuisnessINsider, The Economist or FT crediting Obama in relation to the record breaking GDP numbers just announced by the US Department of Commerce Bureau of Economic Analysis, on a stellar 12 month GDP streak , non residential fixed investment growth, personal savings rate growth, disposable personal income growth...... perhaps if you go back further you might.

No. That’s my way of saying “this is so blindingly obvious that I don’t need to look for evidence on news sites. I was asssuming we both have a basic understanding of macro economics.”

It turns out only one of us has a basic understanding of macro economics.
    but you did find some numbers in Jeff Bezos WaPo to support your case. ...:eek: . Excuse me if my world has not crumbled around me.

Is anything in the article incorrect? I don’t care who owns the paper and neither should you. You should care if the article is factually correct.
    Thats okay you use WaPo for your US Economic news , and base your opinion on your interpretation of those articles ..

You support your guy who added 9 trillion in debt to a 15 trillion economy whilst averaging less than 2% real GDP

I support my guy who is close to averaging 3% with a high of 4% in a 20 trillon dollar economy whilst adding a fraction of your guy , in relative terms to the debt

Obama tweets and his loyal followers swoon , and Hollywood re-tweets

TRump tweets and tens of thousand of analysts (Twitter followers) in the Investment houses review their positions calls,puts,options etc, millions of day traders open up portfolios , by the end of that day tens of millions of workers review their 401ks , and market indices from Shanghai to FRankfurt all push their servers to the limits as they handle the volume of changes.

Job openings hit a record high
    Unemployment rates hitting record lows
    Stock Markets hits record highs
    African American unemployment hitting record lows
    Buisnees OPtimism hitting highs
    Food Stamps recipients falling
    Small buisness startups booming
    Small business regulations reduced
    US Manufacturing optimism and openings on the up

1. Obama is not “my guy”. I don’t have a “guy” to support in US politics.

2. You’re wilfully ignorinf the state of the US economy when Obama took office.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Rhodes scholar and Mensa member Roger Stone :P is soon to publish a new book, which likely talks about the charges against him and the investigation into Russian election meddling. Not surprisingly, the judge in his case is not happy about it. Perhaps Roger finally will get stuck in the pokey for awhile.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/roger-stone-gag-order-book-amy-berman-jackson_n_5c7a08ece4b0e5e313ca8a63

From the article:
    "U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson on Friday ordered Stone’s attorneys to explain by Monday why they waited to disclose the “imminent general release” of a book by Stone, which Jackson said “was known to the defendant.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Rhodes scholar and Mensa member Roger Stone :P is soon to publish a new book, which likely talks about the charges against him and the investigation into Russian election meddling. Not surprisingly, the judge in his case is not happy about it. Perhaps Roger finally will get stuck in the pokey for awhile.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/roger-stone-gag-order-book-amy-berman-jackson_n_5c7a08ece4b0e5e313ca8a63

From the article:
    "U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson on Friday ordered Stone’s attorneys to explain by Monday why they waited to disclose the “imminent general release” of a book by Stone, which Jackson said “was known to the defendant.”

Stone is going to jail, he knows this, publishing this book will get him in contempt and more jail time and likely any profits taken. But, and this is the crux of how Stone works, he's quoted in Get me Roger Stone as saying that 'A Lie Can Travel Halfway Around the World While the Truth Is Putting On Its Shoes' (often miscredited to Mark Twain). So he couldn't give sh*t as long as his alternative facts are out there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

From the article:

I'd say he's probably ok on this one. He's basically pulling a fast one (shock! Horror!) by re-packaging his book from 2 years ago and giving it a different title along with an updated introduction in a paperback format. Also, Amazon is showing it as having been published on 19th February, pre-dating the Judge's full gag order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I'd say he's probably ok on this one. He's basically pulling a fast one (shock! Horror!) by re-packaging his book from 2 years ago and giving it a different title along with an updated introduction in a paperback format. Also, Amazon is showing it as having been published on 19th February, pre-dating the Judge's full gag order.

Maybe that is enough. This is a man that has threatened physical (lethal) violence against the judge in his case. Leniency should not apply.

I f he had a part in repackaging/relaunching any book that might be covered by the gagging order then I hope he is not safe from it.

This is nod and wink activism by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    And I see Cuba has now given backing to Maduro's government in Venezuela. I wonder if that has anything to do with the agreement Trump ripped up? I mean, if Trump followed through with Obama's promises to Cuba on increased investment and trade between Cuba and the USA, would they have backed Maduro? I highly doubt it. Soft power and light touch diplomacy in these kinds of situations make all the difference. But Trump has no clue about how to garner soft power, he only know brute force tactics. Which is a major problem because as much as right wing Libertarians like to treat government as something akin to business, and best run as such, it simply is nothing like it. Business like tactics do not work in international diplomacy.

Cuba has extensively backed the Venezuelans since the Chavez days. Wouldn't credit Trump with having a major impact on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm looking at Don's overnight tweets about the "deferred" US tariffs on Chinese goods and his hopes that China will do the same in respect of it's planned tariffs on US goods and wondering if he's suddenly aware of the impact that the impending extradition of the Huawei CFO from Canada to the US will have on Chinese Govt plans. Canada announced yesterday that it was going ahead with the extradition following a court ruling that it was legal to do so. This coming on top of his failure to get a deal in Hanoi with Kim after Kim's whistle-stop train trip through China can't do Don's record much good. It'll certainly impact on US exports and profits for the 1st quarter.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/01/canadian-government-allows-extradition-of-huawei-cfo-to-the-us.html

From the article:

And if his attorneys were aware of his book release plans and didn't inform the judge ASAP despite her ruling and warning to their client in court about his behaviour, doesn't that leave them (as officers of the court) potentially liable to court action against them themselves? I'm looking at whom her order seems to be intended for. Will they throw him under the bus?

Just saying is all: There's a petition to impeach Don on facebook, Need to impeach, which has reportedly reached 7 million signatures so far. I know that 7 million is only 1/44th of the overall US population, 325.7 Million (2017) but from small beginnings. I reckon that they will be confirmed as not voting for Don should he get the nod for 2020. "Needtoimpeach.com"

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

RIGOLO, you might have missed this question the first two times I asked it:
    The deficit is $985bn, up from $665bn in 2017. The national debt is $22tn, up from $20tn in 2017.

Are these increases good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

RIGOLO, you might have missed this question the first two times I asked it:

I think he just copies and pastes stuff he sees online into this thread, which is why he's unable to answer any questions put to him.

CPAC
    President Trump - Executive Order

FREE SPEECH on College Campus if they want federal dollars ....

watch the left melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

CPAC
    President Trump - Executive Order

FREE SPEECH on College Campus if they want federal dollars ....

watch the left melt.

I'd rather watch you answer a direct question being honest....

Trump at CPAC mocks Sessions. TBF Sessions wasn't a good AG, but he showed an iota of character recusing himself (protecting himself of course, first and foremost.)

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/432325-trump-mocks-sessions-southern-accent-during-cpac-speech

Apparently one of his lackeys (Coulter or Ingraham) warned him that making fun of southern accents might alienate some of his supporters. Lousy impression imo.

CPAC TRUMP
    Wow , that was some speech, 2 hours and 1 minute .
    It will be interesting to see how the main stream media spin it.

Signing off with announcement of a Salute to America celebration in Washington on the 4th of July.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

CPAC TRUMP
    Wow , that was some speech, 2 hours and 1 minute .
    It will be interesting to see how the main stream media spin it.

Signing off with announcement of a Salute to America celebration in Washington on the 4th of July.

The part where he mocked Jeffy? The part where he boasted about his inauguration crowd? The part where he said he loved Otto meanwhile mispronouncing his and his parents' family name? The part where he ranted about the Russher collusion hoax and '13 of the angriest democrats'?

I mean what is there to spin? The same old schtick, bellowed at the same old crowd, to the same old effect?

The capacity of Trump fans to be wowed by the EXACT same thing they've heard a million times will never cease to amuse and disturb me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement