Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Inerestingly, the Fox News Twitter accounts are still silent after last tweeting on November 8th last year. I'm still trying to get my head around what could possibly have precipitated this, and although the above is interesting, I'm not sure it ticks the box. It seems to me that (possibly) Mueller asked for the keys and has locked it down for investigative purposes. It's very strange.

https://twitter.com/FoxNews

https://twitter.com/foxnewspolitics

Its to do with the Tucker Carlson house been descended by antifa clowns on that day. They were angry with twitter for been slow in taking down the address where he lived.

Facebook fox is still very active.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its to do with the Tucker Carlson house been descended by antifa loons on that day. They were angry with twitter for been slow in taking down the address where he lived.

Facebook fox is still very active.
    Yeah, that was said at the time. But Fox have never stated this publicly and have remained completely silent on it. And Tucker Carlson has continued to use Twitter, which would be odd if the above was the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Penn wrote: »
    Another story breaking now that Fox News knew about the Stormy Daniels affair before the election, but the reporter who discovered it, after bringing it to several editors, was told Rupert Murdoch wanted Trump to win so to let it go. They investigated further and even found out about the 'catch and kill' aspect with AMI, and was again told to drop it.

Reporter sued and as part of their settlement had to sign a Non-disclosure agreement about what they found out about Trump (Trump would have been President by this point I think).

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/432430-fox-killed-stormy-daniels-hush-money-report-before-election-new-yorker

Sean Hannity last week admited that he knew about this as well so I could well believe that the lads in Fox news knew as well. Were they in communication with the Trump team on this to keep this under wraps. Hopefully we will see him up on the Hill testifying before congress.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/01/politics/sean-hannity-michael-cohen-congress/index.html

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

RIGOLO wrote: »
    So the WALL STREET JOURNAL has finally debunked the myth about this being Obamas economy. Feb 28th .

Hopefully once and for all .

A Wall Street Journal Editiorial Opinion piece

https://www.wsj.com/articles/thank-you-tax-reform-11551399901

If your not past the paywall, you can watch the WSJ video on the link.

Heres some takeaways

Chief White House economist Kevin Hassett was right about growth in 2018. Former Obama and Clinton adviser Larry Summers wasn’t.

As chief White House economist Kevin Hassett predicted before a Joint Commitee on the Economy in Oct 25 2017 , going from Obamas laggard less than 2% (1.9%) growth rate , to a 3.1% growth rate..

Larry Summers (Former Obama and Clinton adviser) attacked him relentlessly at the time and wrote

And as the Article outlines Trump Administration was right , Kevin Hassett was right , and Larry was wrong.

And for all those anti-Trumpers who love to put up CBO (Congressional Budget Office) figures at any chance to knock the Trump Administration
    Like Ive said consistently the CBO is always getting it wrong , especially under Trump and has even issued reports on HOW WRONG they get it .

And this article also confirms how wrong the CBO were on nonresidential fixed investments as well. With this metric contributing over 0.69% to growth.
    Thats huge , it reflects American businesses investing in America.

Its over folks Trump Administration has won the economic battle. They move onto other battles.
    Perhaps Larry Summers (Obamas Economic advisor and anti-Trumper) and Paul Krugman (Nobel winning anti-Trump economist who said the market would never recover from Trump appointment ) should go away to a corner and find a new career.

I guess the anti-Trumpers will always have their 'Jeff Bezos' Washington Post articles on TRumps economy, whilst the Trump Administration can refer to The Wall Street journal as confirmation of the net positive effect of their policies.

Any chance you could reply to the actual content of my posts?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

These guys have just been sent letters from the House Judiciary Committee asking for documents. Failure to comply within two weeks gets them a subpoena.

Here's a link to the letters and the document requests.

1. Alan Garten
    2. Alexander Nix
    3. Allen Weisselberg
    4. American Media Inc.
    5. Anatoli Samochornov
    6. Andrew Intrater
    7. Annie Donaldson
    8. Brad Parscale
    9. Brittany Kaiser
    10. Cambridge Analytica
    11. Carter Page
    12. Columbus Nova
    13. Concord Management and Consulting
    14. Corey Lewandowski
    15. David Pecker
    16. Department of Justice
    17. Don McGahn
    18. Donald J Trump Revocable Trust
    19. Donald Trump Jr.
    20. Dylan Howard
    21. Eric Trump
    22. Erik Prince
    23. The Federal Bureau of Investigation
    24. Felix Sater
    25. Flynn Intel Group
    26. General Services Administration
    27. George Nader
    28. George Papadopoulos
    29. Hope Hicks
    30. Irakly Kaveladze
    31. Jared Kushner
    32. Jason Maloni
    33. Jay Sekulow
    34. Jeff Sessions
    35. Jerome Corsi
    36. John Szobocsan
    37. Julian Assange
    38. Julian David Wheatland
    39. Keith Davidson
    40. KT McFarland
    41. Mark Corallo
    42. Matt Tait
    43. Matthew Calamari
    44. Michael Caputo
    45. Michael Cohen
    46. Michael Flynn
    47. Michael Flynn Jr.
    48. Paul Erickson
    49. Paul Manafort
    50. Peter Smith (Estate)
    51. Randy Credico
    52. Reince Priebus
    53. Rhona Graff
    54. Rinat Akhmetshin
    55. Rob Goldstone
    56. Roger Stone
    57. Ronald Lieberman
    58. Sam Nunberg
    59. SCL Group Limited
    60. Sean Spicer
    61. Sheri Dillon
    62. Stefan Passantino
    63. Steve Bannon
    64. Ted Malloch
    65. The White House
    66. The Trump Campaign
    67. Trump Foundation
    68. Trump Organization
    69. Trump Transition
    70. Viktor Vekselberg
    71. WikiLeaks
    72. The Presidential Inaugural Committee
    73. Christopher Bancroft Burnham
    74. Frontier Services Group
    75. J.D. Gordon
    76. Kushner Companies
    77. National Rifle Association
    78. Rick Gates
    79. Tom Barrack
    80. Tom Bossert
    81. Tony Fabrizio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭circadian

Ivanka isn't on that list, which I find surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

circadian wrote: »
    Ivanka isn't on that list, which I find surprising.

Indeed. I have no idea what it means though. Ross and Icahn are also missing.
    duploelabs wrote: »

If I remember correctly, getting tipped off about debate questions is something that Trump supporters take very, very seriously. I'm sure they'll be demanding answers from Trump post-haste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Republicans and pro Trumpists on Twitter don’t seem worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Republicans and pro Trumpists on Twitter don’t seem worried.

Considering their general lack of grasp on reality, that doesn't surprise me whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

These guys have just been sent letters from the House Judiciary Committee asking for documents. Failure to comply within two weeks gets them a subpoena.

Here's a link to the letters and the document requests.

1. Alan Garten
    2. Alexander Nix
    3. Allen Weisselberg
    4. American Media Inc.
    5. Anatoli Samochornov
    6. Andrew Intrater
    7. Annie Donaldson
    8. Brad Parscale
    9. Brittany Kaiser
    10. Cambridge Analytica
    11. Carter Page
    12. Columbus Nova
    13. Concord Management and Consulting
    14. Corey Lewandowski
    15. David Pecker
    16. Department of Justice
    17. Don McGahn
    18. Donald J Trump Revocable Trust
    19. Donald Trump Jr.
    20. Dylan Howard
    21. Eric Trump
    22. Erik Prince
    23. The Federal Bureau of Investigation
    24. Felix Sater
    25. Flynn Intel Group
    26. General Services Administration
    27. George Nader
    28. George Papadopoulos
    29. Hope Hicks
    30. Irakly Kaveladze
    31. Jared Kushner
    32. Jason Maloni
    33. Jay Sekulow
    34. Jeff Sessions
    35. Jerome Corsi
    36. John Szobocsan
    37. Julian Assange
    38. Julian David Wheatland
    39. Keith Davidson
    40. KT McFarland
    41. Mark Corallo
    42. Matt Tait
    43. Matthew Calamari
    44. Michael Caputo
    45. Michael Cohen
    46. Michael Flynn
    47. Michael Flynn Jr.
    48. Paul Erickson
    49. Paul Manafort
    50. Peter Smith (Estate)
    51. Randy Credico
    52. Reince Priebus
    53. Rhona Graff
    54. Rinat Akhmetshin
    55. Rob Goldstone
    56. Roger Stone
    57. Ronald Lieberman
    58. Sam Nunberg
    59. SCL Group Limited
    60. Sean Spicer
    61. Sheri Dillon
    62. Stefan Passantino
    63. Steve Bannon
    64. Ted Malloch
    65. The White House
    66. The Trump Campaign
    67. Trump Foundation
    68. Trump Organization
    69. Trump Transition
    70. Viktor Vekselberg
    71. WikiLeaks
    72. The Presidential Inaugural Committee
    73. Christopher Bancroft Burnham
    74. Frontier Services Group
    75. J.D. Gordon
    76. Kushner Companies
    77. National Rifle Association
    78. Rick Gates
    79. Tom Barrack
    80. Tom Bossert
    81. Tony Fabrizio

Each and every one as clean as a whistle. Goddam Dems persecuting innocent folk just going about their business.

Each and every one as clean as a whistle. Goddam Dems persecuting innocent folk just going about their business.

Interestingly Matt Tait is on that list. There's an interesting article titled
    The Time I Got Recruited to Collude with the Russians

Unlike the rest there, he doesn't strike me as criminally inclined.

Interestingly Matt Tait is on that list. There's an interesting article titled
    The Time I Got Recruited to Collude with the Russians

Unlike the rest there, he doesn't strike me as criminally inclined.

No, definitely not. The article is 18 months old so a lot of dots have been connected since - which makes it even more damning. If I were investigating these people and their connection to the GOP and Trump, I'd be very interested in talking to him, not least because of Smith and Smith's connection to Bannon and Flynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,643 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What is that based on?

HC, according to many the worst ever candidate in US history, won the popular vote. Trump won on the back of having not political history and lack of discussion about policies.

He cannot not carry out the same trick this time. He will be the one on the backfoot and screaming and shouting gets pretty old pretty quickly.

DNC had the WH for 8 years, they do know how to win. And the mid-terms show that the voters have turned off Trump, not towards him, and there is little he can achieve in the next two years to change that.

So he may well win, its a two horse race with only the middle 15% or so actually up for grabs, but to claim he will walk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,944 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I understand that the democrats took back the house and being in control of the committees of the House of Representatives brings with it power to investigate. The line they need to walk is for the American voters to see this as congressional oversight and not revenge. IF they can do that then they may never impeach Trump but they can test him his words on most everthing.

I mean remember it wasn't the second rate burglary at the watergate building or the whitewater scandals that got Nixon and Clinton into trouble it was the obstruction of justice and perjury that were the issues. Trump may never been shown to have directly conspired to collude with Russia but certainly if perjury and obstruction of justice were the standard in the past then Trump has certainly meet that standard IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,708 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ivanka is not on that list because that's the proverbial (and hopefully not literal) nuclear button for DJT.

All other avenues will be explored before that final threat will be made.

There will be plenty by then though to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm strongly hoping that the Dems aren't foolish enough to impeach Trump without a serious reason where they can't avoid impeaching him, because it'd give Trump all the ammunition he needs to stir up and mobilise his base. The best way to beat him and consign him to history is at the polls. Focus on his political failings, run a solid campaign from now until the election and destroy him at the polls. That's the only possible way he'll go quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

everlast75 wrote: »
    Ivanka is not on that list because that's the proverbial (and hopefully not literal) nuclear button for DJT.

Ivanka and her various involvements and culpabilities will be well-covered in 65-69 among others.

And, as you say, further stages will follow.

No, definitely not. The article is 18 months old so a lot of dots have been connected since - which makes it even more damning. If I were investigating these people and their connection to the GOP and Trump, I'd be very interested in talking to him, not least because of Smith and Smith's connection to Bannon and Flynn.

!00%

When I read that ages ago, I thought that the Smith angle would be important and I haven't heard much other than those dots since. It hasn't really been pursued by the media, at least as far as I'm aware.

By the way, he hasn't tweeted in about a month either.

TomOnBoard wrote: »

And, as you say, further stages will follow.

It's not just Everlast suggesting it. The committee has done so too.

• Advertisement

!00%

When I read that ages ago, I thought that the Smith angle would be important and I haven't heard much other than those dots since. It hasn't really been pursued by the media, at least as far as I'm aware.

By the way, he hasn't tweeted in about a month either.

No, I'm guessing Jan 23rd was the day the FBI made contact. Mind you, going by his tweets, it isn't hard to figure out which side of the fence he's on.

Interesting Reuters article here on the political dangers of Mueller's report for Democrats. Basically, if Democrat politicians attack Trump too much over the investigation's findings then they run the risk of being seen to be too zealous while simultaneously giving the report the air of partisanship. In addition, many Trump supporters will dismiss it anyway as an FBI plot and will become even more fanatical. In that vein, more that two thirds of GOP voters believe the FBI and DOJ are politically motivated to bring Trump down. Looks like the truth can't catch a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I'm strongly hoping that the Dems aren't foolish enough to impeach Trump without a serious reason where they can't avoid impeaching him, because it'd give Trump all the ammunition he needs to stir up and mobilise his base. The best way to beat him and consign him to history is at the polls. Focus on his political failings, run a solid campaign from now until the election and destroy him at the polls. That's the only possible way he'll go quietly.

"Given my experience in working for Mr Trump, I fear if he loses the election in 2020 that there will never be a peaceful transition of power and this is why I agreed to appear before you today."

-Michael Cohen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭circadian

Interesting Reuters article here on the political dangers of Mueller's report for Democrats. Basically, if Democrat politicians attack Trump too much over the investigation's findings then they run the risk of being seen to be too zealous while simultaneously giving the report the air of partisanship. In addition, many Trump supporters will dismiss it anyway as an FBI plot and will become even more fanatical. In that vein, more that two thirds of GOP voters believe the FBI and DOJ are politically motivated to bring Trump down. Looks like the truth can't catch a break.

Trump has spent the last two years demonising the media and dismissing the intelligence services. His mouthpieces have been running with deep state conspiracies, it doesn't matter what happens, they'll always stand by him. This is extremely dangerous and the GOP propping this behaviour up could lead to some very serious civil conflict into he country as a result of Trump not getting elected, the Mueller report being damning or impeachment.

Literally any move against Trump's position will be seen as a call to arms for fanatics. I don't see the rhetoric or the likes of Hannity or Carlson trying to calm the behaviour, they'll most likely double down and Stoke the fires.

Honestly, I think America is on a collision course for some very grave internal strife. Putin has played a blinder, this could arguably be a bigger success than Brexit.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Brian? wrote: »
    The Obama recovery delivers again. He really does deserve an awful lot more credit than he gets for handing over such a buoyant economy.
    Brian? wrote: »
    Any chance you could reply to the actual content of my posts?

I think Kevin Hassett , the Trump Administration has given the best response .

Obama Debunked By Kevin Hassett Chairman CEA For Taking Credit For Trump's Booming Economy
    just search on that byline.

In the 15 minute press conference he statistically and anlytically debunks the Obama myth, by looking at the deviations (under Trump) from the trend (under Obama) which are very statistically significant .

Blue line is the 2012-2016 administration,
    Dotted line is that trend line continued
    Red Line is the actually results under the Trump Administration ..

Small Business optimisim under Trump - blows away Obamas trendline
    Businesses reporting now is a good time to expand (under TRump) - destroys the same trend line under Obama
    % expecting higher real sales in the next 6 months (under Trump) - crsushes the Obama trend line

NONE OF WHICH LOOK LIKE A CONTINUATION of OBAMAS Trend (thankfully) .

Nonresidential fixed investment , business investment (under Trump) - its reporting 300billion OVER the Obama trend line
    Structures – Buildings investment (under Trump) - reverses the downward Trend of Obama, turns it positive
    Equipment - reverses the downward Trend of Obama, turns it positive

Blue collar (good paying jobs)
    Durable Goods orders - trending DOWN under Obama – resurgent under Trump
    Capital Goods orders - trending DOWN under Obama – resurgent under Trump

To assert the economy is a continuation of Obama , is well FACTUALLY incorrect.

ISM Purchasing managers index, purchasing managers for manufacturing firms
    The index shows a resurgent trend under Trump.

There are clear statisticall significant inflexions at the election of Donald Trump

New Business Aplications have surged, as each new business has to apply for a tax id number , once again at the inflextion point of the Trump taking office the EIN applications surge way beyond the trend under Obama .

Blue collar workers – under Obama it was trending DOWN , Trump takes office and it grows 3.3% the fastest since 1984 .

Its laughable to assert this is a continuation of Obamas economy.
    Look at the trend line .

The anti-Trumpers got it so wrong , the TRump Administration led boom in the US economy is going to be analysed for the next 50 years by ecnonmists, in fact its already started.

The CBO (Congressional Budget Office , supposedly non-partisan, yeah) got it wrong
    Blue Chip analysts got it wrong
    Larry Summers – Obama evonomic advisor got it wrong
    Jason Furman – Obama Chief Economic Advisor , got it wrong

The TRump Administration got their projections right

Anyone asserting the current economic boom in the US is a continuation of a trend created by the previous administration would certainly fail any high school test.

cue a one liner response no doubt ..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Obama Debunked By Kevin Hassett Chairman CEA For Taking Credit For Trump's Booming Economy

In the 15 minute press conference he statistically and anlytically debunks the Obama myth, by looking at the deviations (under Trump) from the trend (under Obama) which are very statistically significant .

Businesses reporting now is a good time to expand (under TRump) - destroys the same trend line under Obama
    % expecting higher real sales in the next 6 months (under Trump) - crsushes the Obama trend line

Nonresidential fixed investment , business investment (under Trump) - its reporting 300billion OVER the Obama trend line
    Structures – Buildings investment (under Trump) - reverses the downward Trend of Obama, turns it positive

There are clear statisticall significant inflexions at the election of Donald Trump

New Business Aplications have surged, as each new business has to apply for a tax id number , once again at the inflextion point of the Trump taking office the EIN applications surge way beyond the trend under Obama .

Blue collar workers – under Obama it was trending DOWN , Trump takes office and it grows 3.3% the fastest since 1984 .

Look at the trend line .

The anti-Trumpers got it so wrong , the TRump Administration led boom in the US economy is going to be analysed for the next 50 years by ecnonmists, in fact its already started.

The CBO (Congressional Budget Office , supposedly non-partisan, yeah) got it wrong

Anyone asserting the current economic boom in the US is a continuation of a trend created by the previous administration would certainly fail any high school test.

Look at the trend line? What trend line?

Your posts are full of ad hominem attacks. You don't believe something because it appeared in paper owned by a know Trump critic. You don't believe someone else because they used to work for Obama.

You aren't actually responding to arguments made with counter arguments. You're quoting other people's opinions. I am not sure why I'm engaging with you anymore.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I just did, and found this Slate article that highlights just how dishonest that "debunking" was.
    ...This was not particularly convincing. Nor was the case Hassett laid out, in which he used some oddly misleading charts to try to prove that several economic trends improved sharply after Trump was elected.

[...]

This graph is a bit deceptive though, because it doesn’t show actual quarterly growth data. Instead, it uses the average growth rate over the most recent six quarters—that is, over the past year and a half. Economists will sometimes average together a few months of economic data when the numbers are extremely noisy in order to show a smoother, more easily understandable trend. But reaching back six quarters is extreme and distorts the story of what actually happened in the economy by making it look as if any changes in growth trends start much later than they actually did.

[...]

One of the most baffling parts of Hassett’s presentation was his attempt to show that the job market had vastly improved, using the employment rate among 25- to 54-year-olds. Here’s the CEA’s chart, which again is based on a six-quarter average of the data. It shows the employment rate growing slightly faster under Trump than during Obama’s second term.

If you take a longer view, and use the actual employment rate rather than a rolling average, it’s hard to see any noticeable change in the trend after November 2016.

[...]

The point of all this isn’t that Trump deserves zero credit for the state of the economy. The man signed a massive tax cut and a large increase in government spending; even if you don’t believe slashing rates on corporations or the wealthy will yield the long-term benefits Republicans have promised, all the extra money floating around has almost certainly had some sort of short-term stimulative effect.

Which brings me to a question you somehow don't seem to have noticed the previous three times I asked it: are the increases in the national debt and deficit since 2017 good things, or bad?

Look at the trend line .

You must have missed my post quoting Reuters' and Fox News' stark explanations as to the very negative impact of Trump's economic policies on the deficit. Or maybe you ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

everlast75 wrote: »

Would love to see her up in front of congress and stressing to her of the threat of prosecution if she lies and ask her one simple question "Did your Father give security clearance to you and your husband or have any influence in it yes or no" being day that is in it she will fold like a french crepe full of nutella.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Rats beginning to gnaw on each other in the bucket:

"McConnell: Senate will pass resolution blocking Trump's emergency declaration"

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/432463-mcconnell-senate-will-pass-resolution-blocking-trumps-emergency-declaration

Potentially a rare instance of the GOP standing up to Trumpy. Twitter should be aflame today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement