Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Manafort's Lawyer appeared outside of Court, where he said that Jackson found no evidence of collusion.

This is a blatant lie.

She specifically stated that the issue of collusion was not before her, and therefore she made no ruling on that issue.

She said she did not know whether there was or was not collusion, as that was the remit of the Special Counsel, and he had not concluded his report.

Despite, that, his lawyer came out with the statement. It didn't go down well with those present.

https://twitter.com/kadhimshubber/status/1105873284632113154

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

More hints that the Mueller enquiry may be coming to an end:

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1106177264658599936

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

aloyisious wrote: »
    Yeah, I meant that Don acts responsively to what he says and he might feel pity after reading/hearing the news reports about PM's fate and issue a pardon in respect of the Federal convictions, even if it might be counter-productive to him & PM in the future.

A person with Narcissistic Personality Disorder is incapable of pity. Not suggesting that The Donald has NPD. Just saying like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

pixelburp wrote: »
    Off the back of the air-crash in Ethiopia that killed 157, Trump has of course weighed in with his ... unique perspective. Despite not knowing the cause of the crash (right?), he has declared that airplane are too complex to fly.

Despite all facts pointing to how safe air travel is these days - and because of the technological improvements at that - he comes out with this ludicrous comment.

Guys, I must admit fault here; Fox News has steered me right. Of course Trump knows airplanes! Sure hasn't he "... owned planes his entire life"? Just like how we all own cars and are practised mechanics!

Man the cognitive loops Fox News performs to justify even the most ostensibly idiotic comments from Trump, is amazing. I can forgive a political or economic bias - it's the nature of the beast - but not this kind of "Dear Leader" style claptrap. I'd call it intellectually dishonest, but... what intellect is at play here?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1105945022401314816

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Don't forget his proficiency in 'the cyber'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

News in the Summer Zervos case - which had disappeared from public view for a while.

Trump was supposed to give evidence by Jan of last year, but the case faded away.

Turns out the reason for that - it was being appealed by DJT.

Bad news for him on that front today..

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1106218674216669184

Probably will be taken up to the Supreme Court..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

eagle eye wrote:
    What does this mean?

Fixating on the daily Trump rubbish will make it a long 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

everlast75 wrote: »
    News in the Summer Zervos case - which had disappeared from public view for a while.

Trump was supposed to give evidence by Jan of last year, but the case faded away.

Turns out the reason for that - it was being appealed by DJT.

Bad news for him on that front today..

Probably will be taken up to the Supreme Court..
    Step up, Brett Kavanaugh - it's your time to shine:
    I believe that the President should be excused from some of the burdens of ordinary citizenship while serving in office
    And, as a professor of constitutional law said about Kavanaugh:
    He is a staunch defender of executive prerogative.

The question is just how far he would go in cases really testing whether there is any limit to that theory.
    We're about to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

serfboard wrote: »
    Step up, Brett Kavanaugh - it's your time to shine:
    And, as a professor of constitutional law said about Kavanaugh:We're about to find out.

It's the kind of thing where ordinarily I might think "Yeah but, there was so much focus on the idea that he got the job because of that, that it'd be career suicide for him to actually follow through on it". Then I remember you basically can't have career suicide in his position, and his reputation is already significantly f*cked. So of course he's going to side with Trump. He's basically a lock. The question would be how many of the others will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Well, that's the end of the national emergency and tellingly 12 senate republicans voted against Trump.

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/14/18264306/senate-republicans-block-trump-emergency-resolution
    Sens. Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Rand Paul, Mitt Romney, Mike Lee, Lamar Alexander, Jerry Moran, Pat Toomey, Rob Portman, Roger Wicker, Roy Blunt, and Marco Rubio ultimately joined with Democrats to vote for a resolution terminating the president’s national emergency. As many as 10 Republicans were reportedly considering breaking with Trump on the subject, and even more wound up actually doing so, leading to a final 59-41 vote.

Slap in the face for Trump. Can't wait for the Twitter eruption.
    I guess the presidential veto is a given and off to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Well, that's the end of the national emergency and tellingly 12 senate republicans voted against Trump.

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/14/18264306/senate-republicans-block-trump-emergency-resolution

Slap in the face for Trump. Can't wait for the Twitter eruption.
    I guess the presidential veto is a given and off to court.

So close to a supermajority - one away. That would have been less of a slap and more of a punch in the face.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

See, to me this again speaks to Trump's refusal to horsetrade and whip votes during these senate sittings. He's happy to crib from Twitter, or rant from a podium at one of his rallies, but by all accounts (and going by sources speaking to past cases such as the OBamacare repeal) he seems unwilling to actually try to bring his own party onside.

Any other competent politician would have glad handed, charmed and persuaded his/her way into getting a majority. I actually believe Trump doesn't know how to talk to people into giving him something he wants.

But hey, he apparently knows airplanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

So close to a supermajority - one away. That would have been less of a slap and more of a punch in the face.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermajority

A fair bit short.

They need 67 to over ride a veto... (and 2 thirds in both Houses too I think)

But is he asking for trouble by flirting with very large minorities?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,679 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No Link dumps please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Very surprised at Ben Sasse for siding with Trump here.

The man is very articulate and if you've ever listened to him, he comes across as very principled even if you don't agree with his politics. He has always gone to great lengths to explain his positions and again, even if you disagree, they come from a respect for a fair interpretation of the constitution, the rule of law, and the separation of powers. EDIT: This was Justin Amash not Sasse. Even recently during Cohen's hearing he was actually doing his job unlike the rest of his party who were doing whatever it was that they thought they were doing. I would recommend reading some of his statements on his votes prior to this one.

This vote looks to be against all he always stood for. And whether you agree with his politics or not, he did appear to stand for something. This to me is him giving away his credibility for Tump, which is not what he seemed to be about. It's very disappointing.

EDITED as got Amash mixed up with Sasse.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/434110-trump-suggests-that-things-could-get-very-bad-if-military-police

What actually goes through his head when he comes out with garbage like this. It's so childish it's hard to believe the POTUS is saying these things. The man is daft. I would love to hear RIGOLO and other actual Trump supporters opinions on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,948 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So senator Lindsay graham has by himself blocked the resolution regarding the mueller report which passed unanimously in the house earlier this week. I mean any believe that graham isn't a Trump lackey is over. I don't understand how one senator can stop it though. Surely it would be McConnell that could just not bring it to the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Don's tweeted "VETO" so the ball is now with the Senate: either they kneel down before him or they face up to a bully who has hinted he will use the military, the police and the bikers for trump against the Democrats. Now if he does veto their decision, will they take him to the USSC? If they do and win, what then for Don- defy the USSC and declare an emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,446 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fixating on the daily Trump rubbish will make it a long 8 years.
    I don't fixate on anything. I don't post much in this thread either. I post more in the thread about the 2020 election and how the Dems are doing their best to lose it when they have options in their ranks to beat Trump.

lolling at Kelly-Anne Conway on CNN trying to steer the interview to the economy and saying the interviewer was making scurrilious defamatory remarks about people. This following on from Dave Gergen on the same channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

*sigh*, i'll just leave this here.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1105945022401314816

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

*sigh*, i'll just leave this here.

She's right. That's why everyone who owns a car is also by default a mechanic.

Christ is there any level they won't stoop to to defend him on absolutely everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

If this wall thing goes somewhere you're actually looking at the US tearing itself apart.

Not because of the wall, that would just be a big ineffective waste of money but make little difference.

But rather because now any president can call an emergency very loosely and drive it through without support.

IMO Republicians will clearly see what a democrat president could do in terms of gun control, taxes and climate.

This is a move away from constitutional democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It seems to have slipped through with all the talk of Manafort and the national emergency currently happening in the US, but during the week Trump published his Budget for 2020.

ONe of the main points being that he proposals to cut billions of $'s out of the budget for Medicare and Medicaid.

Now, no matter where you stand on the principles of the above, Trump stated during the campaign that he would not touch these budgets. I recall G Bush getting, and still, hammered due to his "Read my lips" statement about taxes.

Will he suffer any blowback on this?

On a separate, but related point, how will the US voters feel about having to fund corporate tax cuts and bailouts to farmers due to Trump tariff wars by way of reduction access to medical care and aid?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Midlife wrote:
    If this wall thing goes somewhere you're actually looking at the US tearing itself apart.

The walls not going up, I wouldn't worry about it, the country is already tearing itself apart

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And just on the wall and Trump continued postings about how much is being built. Turns out there has been no new sections of wall built to date
    Donald Trump’s Own Border Agency Admits No New Wall Has Been Built, Despite Trump Boasting About It

https://www.inquisitr.com/5343492/donald-trumps-own-border-agency-admits-no-new-wall-has-been-built-despite-trump-boasting-about-it/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/02/21/last-week-trump-admitted-his-wall-wasnt-being-built-now-hes-back-misleading/?utm_term=.d3d63ee6f2f1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Leo and Matthew Barrett meet Mike Pence. Mrs. Karen Pence not in attendance, Mike Pence's sister is there. Definitely a snub, but the Pence's hateful ideology isn't a surprise and Karen Pence is "working" at some right-wing freak school that's anti-human rights.

http://deadstate.org/irelands-first-openly-gay-prime-minister-introduces-mike-pence-to-his-boyfriend/

I've vacillated a large bit where it came to Don's behaviour in respect to his political play, the way he treats other people who have a different set of political beliefs to his stated ones. I thought that it was all electioneering talk. That's done with now. I've watched him now for some three years now, thinking that he was just shooting from the lip and that the office would change him. I was wrong, he's not for changing, his social irresponsibility knows no bounds.

When he pauses slightly during speeches after saying something provocative and drops in the word "maybe" (pause) "I don't know" as a disclaimer if an audience member does act out on his words, I see the planned use of speech, not the incoherent ramblings of a loon. I see Julius Streicher playing the audience, winding it up. Adding in his latest bit about the Bikers For Trump, I can't help but see in the last group the Sturmabteilung as it bear's his name. Toss in mention of the military and the police, then I see him trying to subvert their loyalty to the US citizen over to him instead, without as yet a loyalty oath. Remember what he said about personal loyalty to the FBI director in the last private dinner they had together.

To the U.S residents with voting rights present: when Don (your president) keeps playing his audience (you) with "I'd love to punch him" statements referring to protestors and people (you and your neighbours) with different points of view, instead of "I, as your president, can and will no longer tell you that it is all right to physically attack your neighbour if you don't like what he is saying, I will tell that that is not the right thing to do" then, if you want a dictator who doesn't like YOUR 1st amendment rights, stick by him. It's YOUR choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Igotadose wrote: »
    Leo and Matthew Barrett meet Mike Pence. Mrs. Karen Pence not in attendance, Mike Pence's sister is there. Definitely a snub, but the Pence's hateful ideology isn't a surprise and Karen Pence is "working" at some right-wing freak school that's anti-human rights.

http://deadstate.org/irelands-first-openly-gay-prime-minister-introduces-mike-pence-to-his-boyfriend/

It'll be grand - Only one more Paddy's week visit where Pence will be VP, regardless of the 202 result. I'm convinced Trump is going to drop is from the 2020 ticket!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement