Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ultros wrote: »
    Yes, what you said about Republicans initially hiring Steele is totally false.

I was talking about you slagging me for using a wall of text.

You do it all the time.

I also said you are outraged when I make a mistake. Yet you defend Trump at every turn.

If you can't see the hypocrisy there I can't help you.

I already said i got it wrong. The Reps hired Fusion. Fusion hired Steele.

I said the Reps hired Steele. Can we move on?

If you want to discuss this further, take it to pm. I'm sure everyone else in here couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gbear wrote: »
    On this point, I have heard from one of the various podcasts that often speak on these things (can't remember which), that the raid on Cohen's office included the seizure of a load of mobile phones, so they posited that he might have handled the burner phones they used and while the phone was tied to him, he mightn't have been using them, or all of them.

Perhaps the Mueller report will reveal something on the issue.

Isn't it all a bit mad when you hear that the Presidents lawyer was caught with a stack of burner phones. That's normally the thing I would associate with drug dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,952 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I agree, but it does go on all the time, obviously not to the extent of what happened with the hacking and the subsequent impact it had on the election. The Ukrainian government were responsible for Manafort getting fired after meeting with DNC rep's and the Clinton campaign met secretly with Chinese officials in January of 2016.

I'm not trying to belittle the impact Russia had on the 2016 election, it's probable that without Wikileaks intervention Clinton would have won since the vote margins in the swings states were so minuscule.

Yes you are despite your claims to the contrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Ultros

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yes you are despite your claims to the contrary.

Look at what I wrote after the bit you quoted if you think I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That's absolutely false. How you can even continue to spout such falsehoods as fact even after years have passed. It's verifiably untrue that Republicans had anything to do with Christopher Steele. What's true is a faction of anti Trump Republicans initially hired Fusion GPS to dig up dirt on Trump. Steele only got involved while the Clinton campaign and their law firm were contracting Fusion GPS

( From the article below )
    "In a statement, the Washington Free Beacon said it retained Fusion GPS to provide research on multiple Republican candidates in the 2016 presidential election. Two people familiar with billionaire GOP donor Paul Singer said he provides financial support to the publication. A spokesman for Singer's firm, Elliott Management, did not respond to requests seeking comment.

The Free Beacon said its research ended before Fusion GPS hired a former British intelligence officer, Christopher Steele, to produce a series of reports alleging links between Russia and those close to Trump. That occurred after the firm was retained by a lawyer for Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign and the Democratic National Committee.

"None of the work product that the Free Beacon received appears in the Steele dossier,'' said the statement from Free Beacon editor in chief Matthew Continetti and chairman Michael Goldfarb. "We stand by our reporting and we do not apologize for our methods.''

kPhzS1M.png

So..... Republicans? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,940 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

DrumSteve wrote: »
    So..... Republicans? :confused:
    Was wondering that myself but then decided I just couldn't be bothered which was probably the effect he's going for...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Thargor wrote: »
    Was wondering that myself but then decided I just couldn't be bothered which was probably the effect he's going for...

Same here, bit of a head scratcher that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump is a very complicated individual, it's impossible to figure him out, that's what makes it so intriguing I guess.

What is this based on? Complicated how?

He seems pretty simple to me. There is little to suggest that he is complicated. He is definitely different, and for many he is totally outside of the normal expectations but that is far from making him complicated.

Don't confuse him being able to lie to have numerous contradictory positions as somehow a signal that he is a deep thinker or a complicated person.

But I guess it is easier to claim he is complicated and thus difficult to understand than it is to face up to what he actually is.

everlast75 wrote: »

George has now taken to publishing parts of a manual detailing mental disorders..

:eek::eek::eek:

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1107598527490916354

Cohen had 3 Clients.

1) Trump. We know where that is going.

2) Elliot Broidy. News on that front below...

https://www.propublica.org/article/federal-authorities-raided-trump-fundraisers-office-in-money-laundering-probe

Makes you wonder what's in Client Number 3's closet (Hannity)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

George Conway is fairly ballsy putting that stuff out. Fair play to him as it's a debate that needs to be held.

Water John wrote: »
    George Conway is fairly ballsy putting that stuff out. Fair play to him as it's a debate that needs to be held.
    Can't make the mood in the Conway household great though when his wife is one of the head cheerleader for the same guy her husband is sayin is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Can't make the mood in the Conway household great though when his wife is one of the head cheerleader for the same guy her husband is sayin is nuts.

Cheerleader and former campaign manager, lest we forget. And, completely clueless at most opportunities, to wit, on Fox and Fiends earlier, an audience of millions, she urged all Americans to read that psycho's manifesto to verify for themselves that Trumpy's not mentioned in it but the one time.

Sooo....Trumpy and his team aren't white supremacists, nuh-uh, but Kellywise is urging *millions of Americans to read a screed published by a rabid murderous white supremacist.* To exonerate Dear Leader Trump

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kellyanne-conway-new-zealand-killer-white-supremacy-manifesto_n_5c8fa75fe4b0d7f6b0f61cc9

The mind boggles.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Cheerleader and former campaign manager, lest we forget. And, completely clueless at most opportunities, to wit, on Fox and Fiends earlier, an audience of millions, she urged all Americans to read that psycho's manifesto to verify for themselves that Trumpy's not mentioned in it but the one time.

Sooo....Trumpy and his team aren't white supremacists, nuh-uh, but Kellywise is urging *millions of Americans to read a screed published by a rabid murderous white supremacist.* To exonerate Dear Leader Trump

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kellyanne-conway-new-zealand-killer-white-supremacy-manifesto_n_5c8fa75fe4b0d7f6b0f61cc9

The mind boggles.

It does indeed boggle. I saw the acting chief of staff try to defend the mention of Trump in that manifesto on Fox News of all places by saying the part about the guy who Carried out the attack said he wasn't a fan of Trump as a political leader and policy means Trump isn't to blame even slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

The mind boggles.

But the quote is telling.

"Were/are you a supporter of Donald Trump?

As a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose? Sure. As a policy maker and leader? Dear god no."

Translation: Trumps is a symbol for white supremacists and our aims. But even I as white supremacist terrorist, emphatically think he's rubbish as a politician and leader.

Just how bad do you have to be for a mass murdering white supremacist who believes you are a symbol for his beliefs, to think that you aren't any sort of leader.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That Trump is even within the ideological or intellectual periphery of the Christchurch shooter should be proof enough that his bona fides are, at best, suspect. Equivocation over Charlottesville and being cheered by David Duke or Richard Spencer, leads to this result. No, trump may not be racist - but racists love him.

Once more, for any other president this should be a political open goal, second only to natural disasters in terms of leading from the front as a political humanitarian (though Porto Rico finding itself accused of faking its dead was a particularly macabre moment).

It's easy and reflexive to cry bias or "both sides", but any other US president simply wouldn't be part of this conversation, no matter how partisan the climate had become.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

According to Kelly-Anne that's the only thing they disagree on, that they agree on all other things in their household. She sees him as a conservative.

aloyisious wrote: »
    According to Kelly-Anne that's the only thing they disagree on, that they agree on all other things in their household. She sees him as a conservative.

And as a Trump supporter, she's always truthful. I don't gamble, but I'd wager big time that marriage ends soon after Trump's out of the WH or Kellywise is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

And as a Trump supporter, she's always truthful. I don't gamble, but I'd wager big time that marriage ends soon after Trump's out of the WH or Kellywise is.

Or they get a nightly spot on Fox News performing their "We're happily married but we TOTALLY disagree about Trump'- act.

But I'm probably being a bit cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

B0jangles wrote: »
    Or they get a nightly spot on Fox News performing their "We're happily married but we TOTALLY disagree about Trump'- act.

KAC is a complete fraud, I don't think she believes in any of the crap that comes out of Trump. She is a shameless self promoter who is screwing the system and loves being spotlight and being in the White House. She is just taking the money.

She is well schooled in the right wing tactic of Tucker, Fox et al of when asked a question she will answer whatever she wants and when the line of questioning isnt going the right direction she wants, she will pick up on a point totally irrelevant and turn the interview against the interviewer.

Yer man Chris Cuomo on CNN has her on all the time and its a joke. Don Lemon his fellow CNN guy was even giving out to Chris on air why have her on. You get noting out of it she a waste or space.

She will come out of this with some plumb job in some conservative superpac :mad::mad:

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Point is Steele used user generated content, not dissimilar to reddit, to try and back up accusations he made in his dossier.

It's a dossier, not a government report. It would always have different mixes of sourcing and would be treated by law enforcement and practically everyone else as unverified until corroborated by other sources.

The republicans are blowing this out of proportion to paint it as the cornerstone of the deep state conspiracy by Hillary, Strzok, Comey, Mueller etc against little old innocent Trump. In a sane world, they would be laughed out of it but Trump understands his base and what sort of nonsense they'll believe.

It's a dossier, not a government report. It would always have different mixes of sourcing and would be treated by law enforcement and practically everyone else as unverified until corroborated by other sources.

The republicans are blowing this out of proportion to paint it as the cornerstone of the deep state conspiracy by Hillary, Strzok, Comey, Mueller etc against little old innocent Trump. In a sane world, they would be laughed out of it but Trump understands his base and what sort of nonsense they'll believe.

Was on a friend's FB. He posted something from a satirical site - that he indicated was a satirical site - about deep state/Trump/blah. He eventually had to kill the thread because he couldn't stop his friends (many in RL0 from believing it no matter how many times it was pointed out it was satirical.

A lot of anger in the US clouding thinking in a lot of people. And massive stupid, too, unfortunately, but it's the confidence that they are absolutely right that makes this all happen.

Talked yesterday with a few friends locally, was asked if I was going to the 'meeting on 5G.' I said, "What meeting?" Turns out, some group's banging on about the hazards of RF and how 5G is going to destroy us all, yadda yadda. I told my friends "I don't do flat earth." They weren't going to the meeting, either. Said they had relatives, though, that bought this stuff hook, line and sinker and could not be convinced otherwise. That they existed in social media bubbles with like-"minded." This is what Cambridge Analytica predicted and used to such great effect in 2016 and Brexit. The curse of common, cheap computing I suppose, and lack of critical thinking especially among older people everywhere (Ireland, US, UK, France, ....)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Schnitzler Hiyori Geta

aloyisious wrote: »

There is no question he's a conservative. He was also a lifelong Republican who worked as a lawyer appointed to various positions by Republican politicians. He left in 2018 as a result of the GOP shift to Trump-style politics as a party that he was no longer comfortable supporting.

I wish more Republicans and conservatives had his backbone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

and lack of critical thinking especially among older people everywhere (Ireland, US, UK, France, ....)

Do you have any actual evidence that 'older people' are more gullible than young people?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

looksee wrote: »
    Do you have any actual evidence that 'older people' are more gullible than young people?

It's quite common knowledge that older people are targeted by fake news on social media. So common people make money from doing it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

looksee wrote: »

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/9/18174631/old-people-fake-news-facebook-share-nyu-princeton

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

duploelabs wrote: »

I found the paper referred to in the verge and it demonstrates that from a very small, self selected group of people who use facebook hardly any shared fake news, but of those that did there was a higher number of over 65s compared with a teen and twenties group. I could not see (and admittedly I read it very quickly) that there was record of whether the younger group shared any news items at all, whatever about fake news. So maybe it just proves that young people who use facebook do not have any political opinions. It also applied only to the US. I await a larger, more geographically diverse study that moves beyond the bounds of facebook.

B0jangles wrote: »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1107983725034463232

I think this takes it to another level...

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1107983725034463232

I think this takes it to another level...

Good to see the President of the United States abusing people on Twitter, I mean it's not like there could be anything more productive he could be doing is there...

Actually with Trump it's probably best he does more of this and less attempting to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

pixelburp wrote: »
    No, trump may not be racist - but racists love him.
    That reminds me of The Simpsons parody of Fox News' self-description: "Not racist - but #1 with racists".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement