Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

(Apparently), apropos of nothing and un-prompted - as is often the case - the US President displays his usual consummate decency;

https://twitter.com/vmsalama/status/1108041484639629314

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

pixelburp wrote: »
    (Apparently), apropos of nothing and un-prompted - as is often the case - the US President displays his usual consummate decency;

He must hate the fact that McCain is remembered fondly and is respected. He knows when his time comes very few will lament his passing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He must hate the fact that McCain is remembered fondly and is respected. He knows when his time comes very few will lament his passing.

I saw an article the other day about the whole Trump/McCain thing and they said basically it came down to 3 things.

Trump doesn't understand why people venerate McCain for his Military service . For him it's only about winning or losing , the concept of Service for Service sake is utterly lost on him. So , as McCain didn't "win" ( in the Trump world-view lens) , he doesn't understand why anyone might consider McCain a Hero or a Patriot.

He also doesn't understand Principal or the value people place on it , so he cannot understand how McCain was able to go against GOP Policy etc. and still retain the respect of the wider GOP group or people in general.

And of course lastly , he cannot ever begin to forgive McCain for voting against his healthcare bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,952 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Given what Trump has said about John McCain again will Trump cheerleader Lindsay graham(and McCain friend) stay silent or push back against Trump for his comments about McCain. The fact that months after John McCain died and is living rent free in Trumps head is saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Not everyone swallows the lazy narrative " anyone who criticises Trump is good" he was an evil war monger POS when alive. Trump is dismal but **** all this media fawning over someone who championed American imperialism when alive.

Same people with their knickers in a twist over this probably think other war mongering trash like Kristol and Boot are decent blokes because they slag of Trump now and then. Trump should hold his tongue obviously, but much more important things to worry about than the legacy of John Mc Cain .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,709 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I don't know how highly John McCain is rated in the republican hall of fame and if Don's continuous attacks on the dead might affect republican voters, esp those who served, when it comes to them thinking about voting for Don next year, or whether it is die-cast now they will vote for Don as the republican party does not seem likely to have/give them an alternative candidate. It's almost like the republican voter is being given the choice of having to swallow more derision of a genuine republican party member from the sitting president and re-elect that sitting president as the lesser of two evils or deciding to say "enough is enough" of the presidential derision and telling Don to lay off the attacks. Don definitely does not have any visible respect for the dead.

Looking at the latest CNN poll, it seems there are more republican party voters interested in voting in the next presidential election than democrat party voters are.

If the present political fight between the two parties has descended to a fight to the death, causing the average republican party voter likely to elect Don again merely because they see the party way the only way to go, even if it means 4 more years of Don, I can see no light at the end of the tunnel for the U.S as a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Donald takes some more time out of leading the Free World to concentrate on the important stuff:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1108335293671845888

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Not everyone swallows the lazy narrative " anyone who criticises Trump is good" he was an evil war monger POS when alive. Trump is dismal but **** all this media fawning over someone who championed American imperialism when alive.

Same people with their knickers in a twist over this probably think other war mongering trash like Kristol and Boot are decent blokes because they slag of Trump now and then. Trump should hold his tongue obviously, but much more important things to worry about than the legacy of John Mc Cain .

Say what you want about John McCain, he was a man of integrity. I disagreed with never everything he stood for politically but I think calling him a “evil” and a “POS” is wrong.

I admire McCain for his character. There’s nothing wrong with that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

There you have it folks. The president of the USA publicly calling one of its citizens a "a stone cold LOSER." How can any of you defend this guy?

Not the first time I guess. It must be about the fifth or sixth person he has referred to as a loser? But it is ok, manufacturing jobs, the economy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump is objectively a horrible person. Fact.

You can disagree with McCain. That's fine.
    You can dislike his legacy. Again, that's fine.

However, there is no need to follow up criticisms of Trump with "but xyz". Those criticisms seem to be minimised by your follow up comments.

Brian? wrote: »
    Say what you want about John McCain, he was a man of integrity. I disagreed with never everything he stood for politically but I think calling him a “evil” and a “POS” is wrong.

McCain may have been a warmonger et all, however he's the one out of the toadys that are the Reps that actually stood up to Trump and voted against him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Brian? wrote: »

He was evil though. It’s not a term to throw about lightly but he constantly advocated for interventionism and even in his old age he showed little signs of slowing down. Heck he baited the likes of Rand Paul and to a lesser extent Justin Amash for not sharing his lust for international slaughter.

It is interesting though and depressing that some of the most repugnant war mongers of the last few decades have been rehabilitated by Trump accidentally. Trash like Kristol and Boot are resistance icons for dunking on Trump regularly despite never taking ownership of their part in Iraq and in Kristols case still advocating for interventionism in China.
    duploelabs wrote: »
    McCain may have been a warmonger et all, however he's the one out of the toadys that are the Reps that actually stood up to Trump and voted against him

Voted with Trump 83% of the time. What a maverick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Donald takes some more time out of leading the Free World to concentrate on the important stuff:

The amount of trolling on this tweet is funny. It ranges from the many, many examples of how Trump has once again managed to project as he is the epitomy of the "Husband from HELL", to tweeters now referring to him as "Mr Melania" and one who pointed out that he was so engrossed in insulting his staffers husband that he has managed to forget that it's Barrons birthday today.

Also listening to a podcast that was linked on it, where George Conway acknowledges that he voted for Trump, as the lesser of 2 evils as he didn't like the Clintons and if was to vote again would "move to Australia":D. I'd say there's a growing number of Republicans who would say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The amount of trolling on this tweet is funny. It ranges from the many, many examples of how Trump has once again managed to project as he is the epitomy of the "Husband from HELL", to tweeters now referring to him as "Mr Melania" and one who pointed out that he was so engrossed in insulting his staffers husband that he has managed to forget that it's Barrons birthday today.

Also listening to a podcast that was linked on it, where George Conway acknowledges that he voted for Trump, as the lesser of 2 evils as he didn't like the Clintons and if was to vote again would "move to Australia":D. I'd say there's a growing number of Republicans who would be thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,940 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did you ever think you'd see Fox News hosts and anchors discussing a Republican president like this?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-shepard-smiths-flabbergasted-real-time-reaction-to-trumps-latest-crazy-mccain-attacks/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump is now picking his fights with a dead man. I suppose he can't answer back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Thargor wrote: »
    Did you ever think you'd see Fox News hosts and anchors discussing a Republican president like this?

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-shepard-smiths-flabbergasted-real-time-reaction-to-trumps-latest-crazy-mccain-attacks/

Not unusual for Shep. Himself, Beier, Wallace and a few others do the non-propaganda programming. I presume they are allowed continue to provide some credibility to a channel that spends most of its time scaring and angering the generation of white people who consumed too much lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Igotadose wrote: »
    And as a Trump supporter, she's always truthful. I don't gamble, but I'd wager big time that marriage ends soon after Trump's out of the WH or Kellywise is.

Their covering her ass so she back away from the **** show if ever she needs to.
    It'll be another
    "I had to stay for the good of the country..."
    "but while doing my job I came home every night and told my husband to warn the american people, it's all out there! what more could I've done"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Water John wrote: »
    Trump is now picking his fights with a dead man. I suppose he can't answer back.

He actually lost the fight in front of his audience at the tank factory. Trump even whined about having to 'approve' the state funeral and not being thanked for it.

Amazing.

The more he mentioned McCain, the more the audience grew silent and angrier. Trump kept going, clueless as he is. Even Mitch McConnell was quoting saying good things about McCain, in fact the tweet that's in the article below is one of the most statesman-like things McConnell's said that I can remember.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/03/20/trump-visits-tank-factory-and-renews-attack-on-war-hero-mccain/23697190/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer_us=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_cs=09Yndv6QMYsDo6ieE5x52A

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm convinced at this stage that the Conways are playing a game; Kelly-Anne does the sycophancy, and the husband plays the voice of reason. All planned to present disharmony and a fighting domestic. As someone said, I can see them both finding their way into a TV gig, it's that transparent IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Schnitzler Hiyori Geta

Kelly-Anne will the the first person to flip on Trump (in all meanings) when she sees the ship is well and truly sunk. She'll get a book out so quickly about the real "gossip" from inside the Trump White House.

I'm convinced at this stage that the Conways are playing a game; Kelly-Anne does the sycophancy, and the husband plays the voice of reason. All planned to present disharmony and a fighting domestic. As someone said, I can see them both finding their way into a TV gig, it's that transparent IMO.

It's almost like they confuse viewership with approval

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

He was evil though. It’s not a term to throw about lightly but he constantly advocated for interventionism and even in his old age he showed little signs of slowing down. Heck he baited the likes of Rand Paul and to a lesser extent Justin Amash for not sharing his lust for international slaughter.

It is interesting though and depressing that some of the most repugnant war mongers of the last few decades have been rehabilitated by Trump accidentally. Trash like Kristol and Boot are resistance icons for dunking on Trump regularly despite never taking ownership of their part in Iraq and in Kristols case still advocating for interventionism in China.

Voted with Trump 83% of the time. What a maverick.

But at the end of the day McCain was a staunch GOP, he fought in the Military for the US. These are all things that Trump claims to hold dear.

In the same speech that he is giving about about McCain he is claiming that Veterans are special, that they have done their service for the country and they should be respected and looked after! Unless, it seems, they disagree with Trump then they should be ridiculed for being captured.

Does Trump believe that any captured service personnel should be ridiculed? What about those shot down, or injured? And this all coming for a man that was too scared to fight for his country when called upon, deciding that his live was more important that the freedom of his country.

CNN did quite the fluff piece on her yesterday evening.

It is intriguing.

However, it does not, in any way distract from the serious stuff. And for what its worth, I don't think the majority of America will thank KAH after she jumps ship (if that is what she is going to do)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Does Trump believe that any captured service personnel should be ridiculed? What about those shot down, or injured? And this all coming for a man that was too scared to fight for his country when called upon, deciding that his live was more important that the freedom of his country.

None of that matters. McCain could have been handed to the US by God himself and single-handedly won the war. But if McCain said one bad thing about Trump or didn't do what he said one time, then in Trump's eyes, McCain deserves to be ridiculed.

Trump making fun of McCain has nothing to do with who McCain is or what he did, and everything to do with who Trump is; a petty narcissist.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But at the end of the day McCain was a staunch GOP, he fought in the Military for the US. These are all things that Trump claims to hold dear.

In the same speech that he is giving about about McCain he is claiming that Veterans are special, that they have done their service for the country and they should be respected and looked after! Unless, it seems, they disagree with Trump then they should be ridiculed for being captured.

Beyond the specific McCain comments, it's telling that - as usual - Trump seems to whine about how during the funeral, he wasn't the focus.

"I gave him the kind of funeral he wanted which as president I had to approve. I don’t care about this, I didn’t get thank you, that’s OK"

You don't have to dig very deep to find a kind of neurosis that suggests the man just can't operate within a sphere outside of his own self-absorption. Nobody thanked me! Nevermind that it's just what you do when someone dies, nobody thanked me! Not just here, but other speeches, rallies, etc., he seems to require a constant supply of reinforcement or adoration. Which, as my armchair expertise understands, is a classic element of narcissism, that constant need for praise.

Beyond the specific McCain comments, it's telling that - as usual - Trump seems to whine about how during the funeral, he wasn't the focus.

"I gave him the kind of funeral he wanted which as president I had to approve. I don’t care about this, I didn’t get thank you, that’s OK"

You don't have to dig very deep to find a kind of neurosis that suggests the man just can't operate within a sphere outside of his own self-absorption. Nobody thanked me! Nevermind that it's just what you do when someone dies, nobody thanked me! Not just here, but other speeches, rallies, etc., he seems to require a constant supply of reinforcement or adoration. Which, as my armchair expertise understands, is a classic element of narcissism, that constant need for praise.

He also seems to gloss over the nonsense that happened when McCain died, in relation to the flag at the White House...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Christy42

Indeed. I can certainly see why someone would not like McCain over his support for the war in Iraq. However Trump's attacks on McCain have tended to have little to do with it (plus Trump supported the war himself).

His insults are childish. Needing affirmation of a thanks. Attacking him as he didn't support the failed healthcare attempt (which was meant to be so easy) or for getting captured. Trump deserves to be attacked for stooping so low. I don't care that he is always that low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

he seems to require a constant supply of reinforcement or adoration. Which, as my armchair expertise understands, is a classic element of narcissism, that constant need for praise.
    I posted this before, but it's worth repeating again, and George Conway made reference to it in a recent tweet - it's the DSM-5 (The 5th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, published by the American Psychiatric Association) indicator of Narcissitic Personality Disorder (NPD). People with NPD usually display some or all of the following symptoms:
    • Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from other people
    • Fixation on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
    • Self-perception of being unique, superior, and associated with high-status people and institutions
    • Need for continual admiration from others
    • Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
    • Exploitation of others to achieve personal gain
    • Unwillingness to empathize with the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people
    • Intense envy of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them
    • Pompous and arrogant demeanor
    It looks like Trump has a full house on this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement