Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If there was a smoking gun.. it would leak very quickly... the longer nothing happens... the more likely trump will waltz or potentially tango into a second term

You know when you've been tango'd. Or is that just the fake tan!

Can they indict a sitting president? Could be the case that the information is gathered there and they will wait for impeachment or until end of term. I wouldn't read anything into no more indictments coming.

If they indict those closest to the President - family members etc, - sure I'd say that they'd just get a pardon thrown their way. Regardless of the consternation or objections. Once that would be signed off on it resets the button from what I understand. Could be another reason to hold off on indicting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Ultros

Yeah but there's no more indictments coming according to the media...

Don JR is gloating on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ultros wrote: »

Now there's someone who should STFU for a few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah but there's no more indictments coming according to the media...

Could be fake news.

In fairness, they deserve their time to gloat and attack now if it does result in a dud. I never thought there was something going on the day Trump was on a podium and said "pleaase Russia find her emails" etc. To me that was a pure signal that there wasn't any sort of conspiracy, others took the opposite view though.

It will stink though, the Tower meeting reeked, so I understand the opposite viewpoint.

• Advertisement

This was obvious too from the start, if he was guilty he wouldn't have been on media channels daily for months smirking. Remember, it was the "dossier" and Page that kick started everything.

https://twitter.com/ChuckRossDC/status/1109236498409361409

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was clear when Nancy Pelosi said the Democrats wouldn't be seeking impeachment.

The Trump presidency has enough going on... being a puppet of Netanyahu, and being afraid of criticising Putin maybe due to golden showers.
    The North Korea strategy is a mess, who in their right mind would refer to Kim Jong Un as their friend?

The EU as a foe, tells Europe to pay more towards their defence, France and Germany talk about making the EU self reliant for security and the US gets upset as they see it as less influence in Europe - maybe the US needs to realise if it is paying a lot more, maybe their military spending is the cost for influence in Europe, if they want more spent by Europe on defence, then the logic was always less influence for the US.

The whole backing of the murderous Saudi Arabian criminal, we all know if Iran had done the exact same thing there would be more sanctions. People are fed up of this hypocrisy as cold war politics is alive and well.

There is enough crap going on without Mueller.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'd be skeptical. Outside of Stone, predicting Mueller's moves hasn't had a great record. his office has been fairly tight lipped.

I think I was too skeptical there.

The fact Nancy Pelosi and James Comey talked about not impeaching this week suggests there is nothing there

I wouldn't read it that way. I would think that impeachment is impossible given the climate and both of them know it. There's no way that Republican senators will convict him and a failed impeachment would legitimize Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

i would imagine that all the Democrats will have to go on is obstruction of justice

But obstructing justice re. a crime that was never there will be a hard sell

Summary: Democrats have (YET AGAIN) over-reached, and DT will more than likely be re-elected in 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

manual_man wrote: »
    i would imagine that all the Democrats will have to go on is obstruction of justice

Summary: Democrats have (YET AGAIN) over-reached, and DT will more than likely be re-elected in 2020

How have the Democrats over-reached?

You do realise the topic we are discussing, Mueller's investigation, was started by Republican members of the department of justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Totally agree that it will be a hard sell, but only because Trump supporters will not care, not because it doesn't matter.

Obstruction of justice is not dependent on whether a crime was committed, it is based on obstructing the course of justice being undertaken.

As Trump has stated numerous times, he cannot be expected to know what those around him were up to as he was too busy campaigning. Thus, by his own admission, those around him could have been actively working with Russia without his knowledge.

An investigation was set up to try to investigate whether there was a basis for this and Trump tried to obstruct it. Even if you argue that for himself it was fine, why did he ask Comey to go easy on Flynn when it was clear that Flynn had, and is now admitted, to have serious questions to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mueller may find no evidence of collusion, just that Trump and family were stupid and niave, by inference.

Water John wrote: »
    Mueller may find no evidence of collusion, just that Trump and family were stupid and niave, by inference.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You do realize Rod Rosenstein was in fact nominated by Trump as Deputy Attorney General and it was Rosenstein that appointed Robert Mueller. Democrats had nothing to do with any of this.

Trump has been investigated by his own team this whole time..

everlast75 wrote: »
    How have the Democrats over-reached?

You do realise the topic we are discussing, Mueller's investigation, was started by Republican members of the department of justice?

Please, try not to be naive.

Democrat politicians, and many, many others, have spent 2+ years pushing a conspiracy theory, causing untold damage to the very fabric of society. Also, Mueller’s team was primarily made up of Democrats(which I’m sure you know). And it isn’t even just Democrats, some Republicans jumped on the conspiracy wagon. The reason is simple: They HATE that an outsider like DT won the presidency.

Having an investigation and staying calm and adopting a “let’s wait and see what happens” approach was the responsible thing to do. And some adopted that approach. But MANY did not. It was a conspiracy ratings bonanza. So many leaks of what was supposed to be kept classified. Just a complete ****show really.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    You do realize Rod Rosenstein was in fact nominated by Trump as Deputy Attorney General and it was Rosenstein that appointed Robert Mueller. Democrats had nothing to do with any of this.

Trump has been investigated by his own team this whole time..

I’ve always suspected Rosenstein to be the most shadiest of characters. Nor do I believe all Republicans to be innocent in regards to this hoax (see my last post)

I’ve always suspected Rosenstein to be the most shadiest of characters. Nor do I believe all Republicans to be innocent in regards to this hoax (see my last post)

AKA deep state?

Right so.

AKA deep state?

Right so.

Deep state. Jealous state. Resentful state. Trying to sabotage a duly elected president state. Call it whatever the hell you want.

Deep state. Jealous state. Resentful state. Trying to sabotage a duly elected president state. Call it whatever the hell you want.

Ridiculous conspiracy theory nonsense is what I call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Trump more than anyone kept the investigation in public eye with his daily 'witch-hunt' tweets and complaining at his rallies, again this was a Republican led investigation started by Trump's own DAG.

Trump has not appeared in public or private a single time to answer any questions despite the fact a number of his close colleagues and friends have been indicted or jailed.

I expect the House investigations to be much more thorough and actually bring Trump up to address his and his families alleged crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I see the media, including RTE, is continuing to report on a report that hasn't been published.

If you're choosing to believe Trump's version of events over that of pretty much everyone else, you're going to have a bad time.

Trump and his followers choose to believe what they want to believe over facts presented to them at all times.
    See the intelligence services findings on Russian interference, North Korea etc.
    There's no point trying to convince them otherwise.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Not that it applies here in anyway. James Comey said the opposite, I believe the exact phrase he used was "No intent".

Media reaction today will be interesting. Glenn Greenwald sums it up nicely, there is no other spin unless a big surprise happens.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1109201503418490880

Trump and his followers choose to believe what they want to believe over facts presented to them at all times.

How does it feel to have been horribly misled by the likes of Rachel Maddow and all the conspiracy theory podcasts you've been glued to over the past 2 and a half years?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Innocent. Nothing but fake leftie conspiracy news. Ye, MAGA.

How does it feel to have been horribly misled by the likes of Rachel Maddow and all the conspiracy theory podcasts you've been glued to over the past 2 and a half years?

Do you deny what I just said?

And what conspiracy theories are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

TCM wrote:
    Innocent. Nothing but fake leftie conspiracy news. Ye, MAGA.

Democrats are not left wing.

• Advertisement

Do you deny what I just said?

And what conspiracy theories are you referring to?

It's not my intention to embarrass you, let's just say you shouldn't throw stones in a glass house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement