Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This is very interesting in the context of the current environment.

Trump's son-in-law Kushner cooperating with U.S. House probe
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner is cooperating with a wide-ranging probe by the U.S. House Judiciary Committee into Trump and possible obstruction of justice and abuse of power, a person knowledgeable about the matter said on Friday.

But perhaps even more interesting is this quote.
    ...a lawyer for Trump adviser Roger Stone said in a letter seen by Reuters that Stone was not cooperating with the same committee and cited his right to avoid self-incrimination under the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

so , Stone is taking the 5th in an investigation into Obstruction of Justice and abuse of power. Why would he do that I wonder?

Also , just to note on the "No further indictments by the Special Counsel" message from Mueller.

It is absolutely worth bearing in mind that Mueller is on record more than once stating that in his view a sitting President cannot be indicted.

Everybody needs to wait until we see the report before either side declares victory or defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Democrats are not left wing.

4 more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Ultros wrote: »
    How does it feel to have been horribly misled by the likes of Rachel Maddow and all the conspiracy theory podcasts you've been glued to over the past 2 and a half years?

I feel that you're falling for the spin that a lack of indictment by the SCO right now implies that all of the russian interactions that nobody the campaign reported to the FBI never happened.

I get the temptation but the idea that Trump, who can't be indicted due to DOJ policy, not getting indicted by one investigation out of the many is some massive victory is misguided at best.

Nobody has seen the report yet and nobody knows what's been handed off the SDNY or EDVA. I'd hold off for a bit before bringing out the champagne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seemingly ending more with a whimper than a bang. Imagine some will start hyping the SDNY investigations more and more. Should be entertaining, the reactions of Louise Mensch and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

TCM wrote: »
    4 more years.

Can you explain this in reference to the fact that the Democrats are not left wing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Innocent. Nothing but fake leftie conspiracy news. Ye, MAGA.
    4 more years.

##Mod Note##

Up the standard please , one liners are not acceptable.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Ultros

Nobody has seen the report yet and nobody knows what's been handed off the SDNY or EDVA. I'd hold off for a bit before bringing out the champagne.

I agree, I included "Unless there's a big surprise" a few posts back. It may well happen although signs are looking good for Trump from what's been reported.

A certain post made my irony meter level explode, I couldn't resist pointing out the obvious. I'll hold back until the findings are made public.

CNN has a banner headlined as BREAKING NEWS.. and then a question asking what will be in this report?

The Trump presidency has exposed the media's complete inadequacy and desire for ratings.

It's not my intention to embarrass you, let's just say you shouldn't throw stones in a glass house.

What conspiracy are you on about?

There are mountains of evidence in the public domain showing that the Trump campaign had loads of improper interactions with Russians that they knew to be improper as shown by their denials of them.

The Trump Tower meeting happened and the purpose of it was to get Hillary dirt in return for sanction relief, aka adoptions.

Trump Asked the Russians for the hacked emails. He also clarified that he wasn't joking.

Roger Stone, who worked for the campaign, was in discussion with the GRU regarding the release of the emails.

He fired the head of the FBI because of the Russia investigation.

I could go on and on but the amount of evidence pointing to illegal conspiracy is more than enough to warrant an investigation.

The lack of indictment of Trump by a DOJ who has a policy of not indicting a sitting president doesn't make all that wash away. It might give you a warm fuzzy feeling today but this isn't any sort of vindication despite the spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

CNN has a banner headlined as BREAKING NEWS.. and then a question asking what will be in this report?

The Trump presidency has exposed the media's complete inadequacy and desire for ratings.

The media have always been like that. :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

CNN has been garbage for years. It's just political cock-fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It's not my intention to embarrass you, let's just say you shouldn't throw stones in a glass house.

I'm not the person you're embarrassing mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

everlast75 wrote: »
    Trump and his followers choose to believe what they want to believe over facts presented to them at all times.

How does it feel to have been horribly misled by the likes of Rachel Maddow and all the conspiracy theory podcasts you've been glued to over the past 2 and a half years?

Have you seen and read the Mueller report?????

I've been trying to find out who said officially Trump et al are innocent of all crimes...can you point me to who said that!!!!

My take is Mueller job was to INVESTIGATE whether trump impede justice and INVESTIGATE Russian collusion. As far as I'm aware it wasn't to prosecute! That's up to the Department of Justice and their prosecutors. Yes you could be correct and it has been said that Mueller won't be prosecuting any more but that doesn't mean that in the report he says that the actions by Trump deserve prosecution......but for some reason you can't indict a president in the US. So let's wait and see what's in the report.....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    The media have always been like that. :confused::confused:

That's true. Any pretence of authority or professionalism is virtually evaporated and replaced with "analysis" and ridiculous screen icons.

Problem is.. Irish people watch this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's true. Any pretence of authority or professionalism is virtually evaporated and replaced with "analysis" and ridiculous screen icons.

They don't.

How's it a problem then...

I doubt it unless they're in an airport and their smart-phone is out of battery.

listermint wrote: »
    They don't.

How's it a problem then...

Well I think they do. All you have to do is to read this thread and see that Irish people watch and get their news from American media.

From Mr. Wittes...

"We know, for example, that Mueller was able to finish his investigation on his own terms. We know this because Barr said so in his letter to Congress Friday evening. The special counsel regulations, writes Barr, “require that I provide [Congress] with ‘a description and explanation of incidents (if any) in which the Attorney General’” countermanded an investigative step of the special counsel. “There were no such instances during the Special Counsel’s investigation.” This is reassuring. From it, we can at least tentatively conclude that the Mueller report—whatever is in it—reflects Mueller’s best assessment of the evidence, following his having taken every investigative step he felt necessary and appropriate to reach that assessment.

We also know that Mueller is not going to indict more people. Though what precisely this means is unclear, it means at a minimum that we should not expect the major collusion indictment that ties together the earlier Russian hacking allegations and social media indictment with conduct by figures in the Trump campaign. It also means that whatever Mueller found on the obstruction prong of the investigation, it’s not resulting in criminal charges either.

The president should wait before popping the champagne corks over this and tweeting in triumph. Yes, in the best-case scenario for the president, Mueller is not proceeding further because he lacks the evidence to do so. But even this possibility contains multitudes: everything from what the president calls “NO COLLUSION!” to evidence that falls just short of adequate to prove criminal conduct to a reasonable jury beyond a reasonable doubt—evidence that could still prove devastating if the conduct at issue becomes public.

There are other possibilities as well. It’s possible, for example, that Mueller is not proceeding against certain defendants other than the president because he has referred them to other prosecutorial offices; some of these referrals are already public, and it’s reasonable to expect there may be other referrals too. In this iteration, what is ending here is not the investigation, merely the portion of the investigation Mueller chose to retain for himself.

It’s possible also that Mueller is finished because he has determined that while the evidence would support a prosecution of the president, he is bound by the Justice Department’s long-standing position that the president is not amenable to criminal process. On the obstruction front, he may well have concluded that, while the president acted to obstruct the investigation, he cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the president’s obstructive acts were not exercises of Trump’s Article II powers. It’s also possible that Mueller has strong prudential reasons for not proceeding with otherwise viable cases."

What conspiracy are you on about?

The theory that Russia groomed Trump to run for President and then both parties formed a plan to hack the DNC and subsequently coordinated the email dumps. Once he won they then began to blackmail him for Political favours.

It's the same one that's been perpetuated by Democrat politicians and their media allies for the past two and a half years that's ultimately resulted in zero collusion indictments, not even a low level campaign aide.

We can pretend that's not what the accusations were but anyone who's objective knows it to be true, Mueller time has come and gone, unless of course there's a huge surprise waiting to be uncovered which looks doubtful at this stage.

Might get more information tonight

https://twitter.com/edhenry/status/1109481475232141312

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Everyone agrees there is collusion ? Campaign officials meeting Russian oprertives and sharing polling data... that’s a matter of record...... it’s just about a smoking gun to prove trump knew about it ?

https://twitter.com/mattzap/status/1109506469580419073?s=19

Trying to read the tea leaves..

If it was a slam dunk for DJT I think we would know about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I wouldn't read it that way. I would think that impeachment is impossible given the climate and both of them know it. There's no way that Republican senators will convict him and a failed impeachment would legitimize Trump.

While impeachment by the House would be virtually guaranteed if they chose to go that route, Pelosi is absolutely sure that the Senate would not convict. Therefore, in her view, the massive divisions that the process would create would cause massive damage to the country, and Trump is simply not worth that. Her approach is to lay bare all the badness and wrongdoing that his presidency represents and allow the American people to decide by voting him out in 2020.

Comey's view is similar. He has said that it would be totally the wrong approach to have Congress remove Trump... That is a job for the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

I very much doubt this is a slam dunk for Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

The theory that Russia groomed Trump to run for President and then both parties formed a plan to hack the DNC and subsequently coordinated the email dumps. Once he won they then began to blackmail him for Political favours.

It's the same one that's been perpetuated by Democrat politicians and their media allies for the past two and a half years that's ultimately resulted in zero collusion indictments, not even a low level campaign aide.

We can pretend that's not what the accusations were but anyone who's objective knows it to be true, Mueller time has come and gone, unless of course there's a huge surprise waiting to be uncovered which looks doubtful at this stage.

Mueller's investigation may be completed but we must remember he farmed out some parts of the investigation to the SDNY and DC and Virginia as well so multiple aspects of the investigation are in fact on going and given that I would imagine we will not get access to some parts of Mueller's report any time soon to protect those on going investigations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Great weekend to be back from my ban.

Mueller probe is a busted flush . No more indictments called for in the report, no proof of Trump campaign collusion on the 2016 election, no interview for Donald Trump with Mueller

There goes Hilarys number 1 excuse for her loss.

Trump wins again .

And all that material that Mueller has on deep state, pro Democrat pro Hilary anti-TRump collusion now becomes a matter of record in the AG office with potential for investigations into that.

We all know theres nothing in the report, if there was it would have been leaked.
    Nancy knew 2 months ago there was nothing in it , when she made statements to tone down the calls for impeachment.

Dan Bongino put it well..
    Any sliver of credibility the liberal media thought they had left is now formally gone. After over 2 years of breathless promotion of the debunked collusion hoax, they have now faceplanted in the most humiliating way possible. Journalism is dead.

an epic MAGA weekend.
    I guess the Dems will now have to rely on AOC and Ilhmar for winning 2020 for whichever candidate they put forward.. good luck with that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I fail to see how any of this is making America greater?

All I see is more division

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

So, it's over a day and a half since Trump was on his favourite propaganda tool, Twitter. Have they hidden his phone; is he pausing for dramatic effect; or is it damage limitation time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well I think they do. All you have to do is to read this thread and see that Irish people watch and get their news from American media.

Well you are wrong. So there's that.

Enjoy watching RT and getting your information off Facebook.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement