Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Ya reckon?

Maybe its because Obama did in fact hire the best people, and Silicon Valley knows that... Fancy betting how many Trumpexits they'll hire?

" the best people "

If they were the best people how can you explain this .
    Democrats Lost Over 1,000 Legislative Seats Under Barack Obama.

https://millennialpolitics.co/launchprogress/

As for personel exiting the TRump administration, many wont be concerend about their future for another 4-5 years, Trump II is looking even better and better, 'Trumpexits' wont be looking for their next gig until 2024.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

aloyisious wrote: »
    I took a few days off to refresh and unwind from Don so I've missed out on what he's been doing lately. I see on Bloomberg just now that A. that up to 50 Rep Senators voted against him on the matter of federal funding for the Puerto Rica hurricane damage as it would help them get the same type of federal relief funding in their electoral areas and Don is supposed to be railing about the amount of funding sent to Puerto Rico, and B. that Don has asked a 3 judge court to dismiss an action (something to do with the 1st amendment) about his twitter account on the basis that it's his personal twitter account and not a presidential twitter account. Are item A and B correct as typed in the Bloomberg news description?

Considering you say you "have missed out on what he's been doing lately " I can help fill you in on what you missed.

It seems odd you only heard about a minor vote against TRump, when in fact he has been very busy on many fronts.
    Below is a short list of what TRump has been up to this week that you seem to have missed out on , whilst you were taking a few days off to refresh and unwind.

He met with Israeli PM Netanyahu

Issued a proclamation recognising Israels rights to the Golan Heights

He issued a notice to Congress continuing his National Emergency declaration with relation to malicious cyber attacks

Announced a Presidential Task Force to address Native American Child Welfare

POTUS 45 announced a Disaster declaration for the La Jolla Band and the Cahuilla Band of Native American Indians

POTUS 45 met with the Stanley Cup Winners

President Trumps administration delivered a memo on the NATO accession report for North Macedonia.

President Trump met with the First Lady of Venezula – Fabiana Rosales

President Trump announced a REFORM of the Housing Finance System , to make it easier for Americans to buy homes.

President Trump met with the Secretary General of NATO , Jens Steltenberg.

President Trump announced a formal declaration to put a US man or woman back on the moon in 5 years .

President Trump met with President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi of Egypt

President Trump addressed the progress of China Trade talks.

President Trump gave a near 2 hour address to a raucous sold out crowd of over 25,000 people in Grand Rapids Michigan.

President TRump announced over 300 million in aid to restore the Great Lakes region.

Theres a whole bunch of other stuff that TRump and his administration have been doing, you can read all about them on main stream media.
    Perhaps you need to check your sources for information, its alarmng you missed out on all this news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Well now. A week after he puts out his summary, Barr feels compelled to tell us all that his 4 pager doesn't really summarise the full report. Come mid-April, it sounds like the actual report might not paint the same picture of a blameless President Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

RIGOLO wrote: »

Against his administration's wishes apparently. But, buddying up to Netanyahu is a thing for Trump
    POTUS 45 announced a Disaster declaration for the La Jolla Band and the Cahuilla Band of Native American Indians
    While overriding the courts in trying to accelerate the Keystone XL pipeline, which various Native American groups are objecting to
    President Trump gave a near 2 hour address to a raucous sold out crowd of over 25,000 people in Grand Rapids Michigan.
    So? That's not what we're paying him to do, that's campaigning. Do that on your own time.
    President TRump announced over 300 million in aid to restore the Great Lakes region.
    He actually proposed cutting it from $300m to $30m in his budget (not quite 'aid' but thanks for trying.) Congress overrode him. He did say the lakes were big and deep though, good job!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Posts deleted and sanctions issued.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭amandstu

jooksavage wrote: »
    Well now. A week after he puts out his summary, Barr feels compelled to tell us all that his 4 pager doesn't really summarise the full report. Come mid-April, it sounds like the actual report might not paint the same picture of a blameless President Trump.

We already have a picture of the Trump administration from his public and mysteriously private conduct in office.

Miller's report is unlikely (not impossible) to counteract the damning assessment many of us have made.

For such a serious task he was given it would be grotesque if any of it (apart from what is unavoidable) was withheld from elected representatives and the public.

It is gratifying (if true) that Trump's team did not actually conspire with known Russian government agents to alter the course of the last election (do nods and winks count?) but that is really a very low bar.

Maybe "stupid Watergate" was not so stupid after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

amandstu wrote: »
    We already have a picture of the Trump administration from his public and mysteriously private conduct in office.

Miller's report is unlikely (not impossible) to counteract the damning assessment many of us have made.

For such a serious task he was given it would be grotesque if any of it (apart from what is unavoidable) was withheld from elected representatives and the public.

It is gratifying (if true) that Trump's team did not actually conspire with known Russian government agents to alter the course of the last election (do nods and winks count?) but that is really a very low bar.

Maybe "stupid Watergate" was not so stupid after all.

I think it speaks volumes that Trump defenders on here and elsewhere take victory laps and proclaim that the Mueller report exonerates him, yet refuse to commit to accepting the complete findings of the report when it comes out or the need for it to be released at all.

If one were being genuine, you would commit to accepting it *in full* regardless of whatever the findings might be.

To do otherwise, almost seems.... hypocritical.

everlast75 wrote: »
    I think it speaks volumes that Trump defenders on here and elsewhere take victory laps and proclaim that the Mueller report exonerates him, yet refuse to commit to accepting the complete findings of the report when it comes out or the need for it to be released at all.

If one were being genuine, you would commit to accepting it *in full* regardless of whatever the findings might be.

It has to be redacted , but there need to be measures to ensure that that process is not abused (as one would reasonably expect even from a half way decent administration which this one is the antithesis of)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I've followed this closely since Barr's letter was released and outside of a few crackpots there has been almost unanimous support for the report to be released, including the WH, Congress, the AG and MSM.

So I'm not sure where you are getting this narrative that Trump defenders want the report buried?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Considering you say you "have missed out on what he's been doing lately " I can help fill you in on what you missed.

It seems odd you only heard about a minor vote against TRump, when in fact he has been very busy on many fronts.
    Below is a short list of what TRump has been up to this week that you seem to have missed out on , whilst you were taking a few days off to refresh and unwind.

He met with Israeli PM Netanyahu

He issued a notice to Congress continuing his National Emergency declaration with relation to malicious cyber attacks

Announced a Presidential Task Force to address Native American Child Welfare

POTUS 45 met with the Stanley Cup Winners

President Trumps administration delivered a memo on the NATO accession report for North Macedonia.

President Trump met with the First Lady of Venezula – Fabiana Rosales

President Trump announced a REFORM of the Housing Finance System , to make it easier for Americans to buy homes.

President Trump met with the Secretary General of NATO , Jens Steltenberg.

President Trump announced a formal declaration to put a US man or woman back on the moon in 5 years .

President Trump met with President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi of Egypt

President Trump addressed the progress of China Trade talks.

Theres a whole bunch of other stuff that TRump and his administration have been doing, you can read all about them on main stream media.
    Perhaps you need to check your sources for information, its alarmng you missed out on all this news.

Think R&R for mens sana in corpore sano. Ta for that update, btw.

• Advertisement

It has to be redacted , but there need to be measures to ensure that that process is not abused (as one would reasonably expect even from a half way decent administration which this one is the antithesis of)

The complete report and grand jury testimony should be given to Congress.

Any redactions should only concern citizens who were not prosecuted save DJT. His actions should be disclosed in full to congress and to the public.

JRant wrote: »
    I've followed this closely since Barr's letter was released and outside of a few crackpots there has been almost unanimous support for the report to be released, including the WH, Congress, the AG and MSM.

So I'm not sure where you are getting this narrative that Trump defenders want the report buried?

Nunez, McConnell and Graham have said it should be destroyed or blocked.

Supporters on here have been asked and not answered the question and ignored it.

Whatever about the words, the actions of the AG have not given the impression that it will be released in any substantive way. The release of the 4 page letter was met with such disdain by the public his latest letter can only be described as a severe climb down.

Let's see what happens, as opposed to what he or DJT says will happen.

Healthy suspicion? Suddenly politicians are trustworthy?

My take is that they know it will come out even if there are attempts to suppress it and are getting ahead of the posse.

We already know that Trump has intimated that he may not relinquish office if defeated in 2020-it would be not far fetched for him to do his utmost to prevent publication in light of that inclination.

He admires Putin ,let us not forget whose adherence to the Queensbury rules of democratic politics are non existent at best

Maybe he is boxed in now. Let's hope so..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Everlast, your attitude is making it so it's impossible for you to doubt for one second any part of the Mueller Report.

I truly hope you and your friends on here commit to this and treat the report as a factual document. It should be interesting for everyone. Stuff will obviously get blown out of proportion, but there could be some good angles. I want Sanders in 2020.

The report is only one narrow question though. In terms of what it pertains to I'm happy to take it as quite reliable, but for the broader questions about whether Trump should be impeached, imprisoned, removed from contention for 2020 or whatever, there are questions that exist independent of the Mueller report directly, and will depend on the results of the litany of criminal investigations Trump and his various companies are under.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Gbear wrote: »
    The report is only one narrow question though. In terms of what it pertains to I'm happy to take it as quite reliable, but for the broader questions about whether Trump should be impeached, imprisoned, removed from contention for 2020 or whatever, there are questions that exist independent of the Mueller report directly, and will depend on the results of the litany of criminal investigations Trump and his various companies are under.
    The Mueller investigation was one of 17 in to Trump and his organisations. There's a lot more cr@p to come out

Nunez, McConnell and Graham have said it should be destroyed or blocked.

Supporters on here have been asked and not answered the question and ignored it.

Whatever about the words, the actions of the AG have not given the impression that it will be released in any substantive way. The release of the 4 page letter was met with such disdain by the public his latest letter can only be described as a severe climb down.

Let's see what happens, as opposed to what he or DJT says will happen.

He released a summary of the findings and has committed to releasing the report by mid-April at the latest. I don't see how that in any suggests he has had to climb down on the issue. He is also working with the SC to limit redactions.

Healthy suspicion? Suddenly politicians are trustworthy?

My take is that they know it will come out even if there are attempts to suppress it and are getting ahead of the posse.

We already know that Trump has intimated that he may not relinquish office if defeated in 2020-it would be not far fetched for him to do his utmost to prevent publication in light of that inclination.

He admires Putin ,let us not forget whose adherence to the Queensbury rules of democratic politics are non existent at best

Maybe he is boxed in now. Let's hope so..

Now I'm all for getting Trump out of the WH and think he is the symptom of everything that is wrong in today's society, basically lie, cheat and steal to get success. I don't think he's some sort of defacto dictator though. The checks and balances in the American system have worked to somewhat curtail him so far and I don't see that changing any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Now I'm all for getting Trump out of the WH and think he is the symptom of everything that is wrong in today's society, basically lie, cheat and steal to get success. I don't think he's some sort of defacto dictator though. The checks and balances in the American system have worked to somewhat curtail him so far and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I suspect you wouldn't have been saying that if Mueller had actually found evidence of Russia collusion, it's almost a relief that nothing was found because he'd have gone full cretin if there had been.

Now, hopefully the Dems will start focusing on policy and try to beat him at the polls rather than focusing on impeachment.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I suspect you wouldn't have been saying that if Mueller had actually found evidence of Russia collusion, it's almost a relief that nothing was found because he'd have gone full cretin if there had been.

Now, hopefully the Dems will start focusing on policy and try to beat him at the polls rather than focusing on impeachment.

Hate to disappoint you PropJoe but you would be completely wrong. I suspect you are making an argument in your own head that I have never made.

The only relief, if you can call it that, is that it doesn't appear from the initial findings that there is a Russian installed Patsy in the WH.
    It seems he is just completely inept.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

He would absolutely love to be a dictator! Fortunately he does not have enough self-discipline or intelligence to do it, but not for want of trying. And he has done a reasonable job of attempting to dismantle some of those checks and balances. Fortunately, again, he isn't capable of following anything through so, apart from the Supreme Court, he hasn't done much more than attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Annd9

Does anybody find Americas outrage about outside interference a bit surreal ? For anybody who may of lived there , are they that blind to how their agencies operate internationally or is it shock that maybe it can also happen to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Annd9 wrote: »
    Does anybody find Americas outrage about outside interference a bit surreal ? For anybody who may of lived there , are they that blind to how their agencies operate internationally or is it shock that maybe it can also happen to them ?

Ennui, mostly on the part of the Oval Office holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

looksee wrote: »
    He would absolutely love to be a dictator! Fortunately he does not have enough self-discipline or intelligence to do it, but not for want of trying. And he has done a reasonable job of attempting to dismantle some of those checks and balances. Fortunately, again, he isn't capable of following anything through so, apart from the Supreme Court, he hasn't done much more than attempt.

Yeah, often think the difference between real dictators and wannabes like Trump, is Trump's a dummy. I guess the US is lucky he is.

And, don't lose sight of all the lower-court packing he's doing. Now, this is a tGOP thing not just Trump, but it is a consequence of a broken approval system being manipulated by McConnell, with Trump his rubber-stamping water carrier. This is the impact the Trump misAdministration will have for decades to come and will be very hard to undo. Maybe federal judgeships shouldn't be lifetime, or maybe lifetime with some sort of review process. But it is the courts mostly keeping Trump in check.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Yeah, often think the difference between real dictators and wannabes like Trump, is Trump's a dummy. I guess the US is lucky he is.

Do you think there are any other differences between Trump and the likes of Pol Pot, or is it only his intelligence?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Surely a lack of (academic) intelligence is the only point of similarity between Trump and Pol Pot?

I doubt Trump would know what to do with Dictatorship if he got it, the checks and balances are all that are saving him from himself. It would mean he would have to actually put in a full day's work for a start. And you need a very strong ideology to be a dictator, Trumps ideology is whatever suits himself at the time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Reminder about previously issued mod warnings. Please refrain from doing this.
    As we warned in the previous thread, less of the #fakenews type stuff please.

Characterising legit news outlets as fake news is a form of trolling.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

looksee wrote: »
    Surely a lack of (academic) intelligence is the only point of similarity between Trump and Pol Pot?

I doubt Trump would know what to do with Dictatorship if he got it, the checks and balances are all that are saving him from himself. It would mean he would have to actually put in a full day's work for a start. And you need a very strong ideology to be a dictator, Trumps ideology is whatever suits himself at the time.
    Wasn't Hitler an incredibly lazy man, shambolically lazy almost?

Neither did Hitler's ideology appear to be particularly strong or thought through, bar blaming everything on the Jews and proclaiming the "greatness" of the German people. The Holocaust was really the extreme ultimate manifestation of abhorrent opinions which were initially latent, then became widespread and were emboldened at every opportunity by him.

There are incredible similarities in the way Trump operates to how Hitler did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    On the face of it, this appears to be a reasonable letter, and does seem to be progressing the actual report towards publication which is to be welcomed. I don't think any reasonable observer ought to have a problem with those elements that are being redacted, although when the final document is published, that view may change.

It will be interesting to see if Barr has erred in his letter however in respect of his point that he only intended his 4-pager to represent the 'bottom line' from the report. In his 4-pager, Barr came to a decision about the obstruction question whereas he said Mueller did not. Accordingly, his initial letter was more than a 'bottom line' reporting.

Also, the massive issue of Russian interference was downplayed by Barr with the 30 resultant indictments many including Trump campaign leaders not even mentioned under the heading "Russian Interference".

We have a massive focus on what Trump is not indicted for:
    Conspiracy to aid and abet the Russian Government in the election interference that Russians were indicted for.

The Trump campaign colluding with Wikileaks via Roger Stone does not meet this threshold. (in Stone indictment)
    Manafort passing polling data to Kimlinkin (GRU agent) for 3 swing States also does not meet this threshold. (in Manafort sentencing memo)

Barr has stated that there are ongoing grand jury cases and that much has been passed by Mueller to other Offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The same type of loons that believe Corbyn will usher in a Communist Govt. with Gulags and murder believe Trump will go for dictatorship than leave office.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, the dumpster fire that is this administration rumbles on...

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1112718529281904640?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement