Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Please remember the charter folks:
    When offering fact, please offer relevant linkage, or at least source. If you do not do this upon posting, then please be willing to do so on request.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

so what if trump supposedly cheats at golf. since when that become the final arbitrator on someones character.
    its not like trump is a professional sports man, he plays mostly his own golf courses so i assume his own rules apply.

If anything amateur golf is a better arbiter of someone's character. Professional golfers are playing in public, under the eyes of cameras, and viewers. They have referees and rules officials following them around, so cheating is quite difficult to do & get away with.

Amateur golf is unlike almost any other sport in that is is self-governed. There is a body that sets out the rules of golf, but adherence to them sits squarely with the individual player. Unless someone catches you in the act of cheating & calls you on it, which is likely a pretty low probability, the onus is entirely on the player to play but the rules.

Trump can't set his own rules in his club based on what he wants to do. Playing in a casual game, yeah, do what you want, but in a competition/championship, you observe the rules of golf as outlined by the USGA (in America)

Cheaters in golf are complete pariahs in general. I've played with them & I've called them out if I caught them. They don't like it, but they don't tend to try it again in my company.

The problem is Trump owns the place & would likely boot you out or fire you if you called him on something.

He's a cheat who is also a bully, and he can get away with it because of his position.

So yes, amateur golf is a great way to judge a person's character as its entirely on you to choose to honour the rules & respect your playing partners & fellow competitors...2 things that Trump apparently doesn't do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

/me looks at what was formerly San Francisco General Hospital, and is now Zuckerberg General Hospital for some reason... probably strongly correlated with Zuckerberg's money. Or the Geffen Concert Hall in the Lincoln Center, formerly the Fisher hall until Geffen handed over $100million last year. That big famous New York Public Library? $100million was also the asking price to give it Schwarzman. David Koch's name is now on the New York State Theater. And the Dinosaur Wing of the American History Museum a few blocks away. Or Bloomberg tower, Hearst Tower, Falcone tower... Or the Rockerfeller Building or the Chrysler building... You can't walk down New York City without seeing rich peoples' names on everything.

Thank you for posting just a few of the obvious. How indeed can anyone walk around NYC without seeing a household/billionaire/legendary name attached to a building. And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

mattser wrote: »
    Thank you for posting just a few of the obvious. How indeed can anyone walk around NYC without seeing a household/billionaire/legendary name attached to a building. And rightly so.

There's a big difference between licensing a brand or name to a business for commercial gain and an altruistic donation to a public body in a social entrepreneur capacity with no expected return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

duploelabs wrote: »
    There's a big difference between licensing a brand or name to a business for commercial gain and an altruistic donation to a public body in a social entrepreneur capacity with no expected return

Also other examples of his ego include day one of his presidency where they lied about the turnout to the inauguration. The constant self praise that he engages in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

batgoat wrote: »
    Also other examples of his ego include day one of his presidency where they lied about the turnout to the inauguration. The constant self praise that he engages in.

Egomania is preoccupation with one's self and applies to anyone who follows one's own ungoverned impulses and is possessed by delusions of personal greatness and feels a lack of appreciation

Or the fact that he said his building has more stories than it actually has, or that he's 6'3" when he is not, or that he constantly boasts about being the most clever, or knowing more than anyone else, or that he is the best president ever, or that the people of the US don't appreciate him as much as they should etc etc etc etc

everlast75 wrote: »
    Egomania is preoccupation with one's self and applies to anyone who follows one's own ungoverned impulses and is possessed by delusions of personal greatness and feels a lack of appreciation

Or the fact that he said his building has more stories than it actually has, or that he's 6'3" when he is not, or that he constantly boasts about being the most clever, or knowing more than anyone else, or that he is the best president ever, or that the people of the US don't appreciate him as much as they should etc etc etc etc

I would say that he alone knows better than one of the most sophisticated intelligence agencies in the world is a far more serious implication of his massive ego

In addition to being preyed upon because of his ego and susceptibility to influence via praise, imagine how serious the situation would be and how he would be open to compromise if he was trying to make a substantial commercial deal with a foreign adversary but kept quiet about it with the public....

everlast75 wrote: »
    In addition to being preyed upon because of his ego and susceptibility to influence via praise, imagine how serious the situation would be and how he would be open to compromise if he was trying to make a substantial commercial deal with a foreign adversary but kept quiet about it with the public....
    Can you imagine foreign diplomatic corp/intelligence agencies spending days upon days creating massive dossiers for their heads of states to arm them when entering in to negotiations with American presidents in the past, whereas now they just have to say one line...

'Praise him and he's yours'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Or "Want to build a Hotel here post Presidency?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

this was the post regards trump
    So what if he cheats at golf, is a racist, adultering, draft dodging, tax dodging, narcissistic egomaniac?

1. who cares if he cheats at golf. it is only a pastime. i have never seeing amateur golf being put on such a pedestal. usually golf has to deal with serious issues https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/tiger-woods-new-book-paints-a-grim-picture-of-racism-endemic-in-golf-1.3018065

2. evidence of trump being a racist is a 1970s court case about housing - 40 years ago and settled without accepting wrong doing
    protecting the US borders is not racist. lets see what % of the minority vote he gets in 2020, do the american minorities think he is racist?
    3. he is an adulterer - no one is perfect.
    4. he is a narcissistic egomaniac - he is the president of America the most powerful man in the world. being fair if anyone deserves to be so it is him. but again the only proof i see here is he names buildings after himself, or he used to 6ft 3, petty small stuff..

The presumption of innocence is afforded to all people including the president of the US. repeating claims of racism, treason, bribery, corruption without evidence it is just smearing a persons character and that is what a lot of posts on this thread are doing.

there is no concrete evidence that trump is a racist just as there is no concrete evidence against obama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Wright_controversy
    https://www.buzz.ie/news/barack-obamas-ex-has-claimed-he-used-to-cheat-on-michelle-with-her-236538
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Obama_administration_controversies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

this was the post regards trump
    So what if he cheats at golf, is a racist, adultering, draft dodging, tax dodging, narcissistic egomaniac?

1. who cares if he cheats at golf. it is only a pastime. i have never seeing amateur golf being put on such a pedestal. usually golf has to deal with serious issues https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/tiger-woods-new-book-paints-a-grim-picture-of-racism-endemic-in-golf-1.3018065

2. evidence of trump being a racist is a 1970s court case about housing - 40 years ago and settled without accepting wrong doing
    protecting the US borders is not racist. lets see what % of the minority vote he gets in 2020, do the american minorities think he is racist?
    3. he is an adulterer - no one is perfect.
    4. he is a narcissistic egomaniac - he is the president of America the most powerful man in the world. being fair if anyone deserves to be so it is him. but again the only proof i see here is he names buildings after himself, or he used to 6ft 3, petty small stuff..

The presumption of innocence is afforded to all people including the president of the US. repeating claims of racism, treason, bribery, corruption without evidence it is just smearing a persons character and that is what a lot of posts on this thread are doing.

there is no concrete evidence that trump is a racist just as there is no concrete evidence against obama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_Wright_controversy
    https://www.buzz.ie/news/barack-obamas-ex-has-claimed-he-used-to-cheat-on-michelle-with-her-236538
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Obama_administration_controversies

I notice you skipped Draft dodging and tax dodging.

Whats your opinion on them?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I notice you skipped Draft dodging and tax dodging.

Whats your opinion on them?

clinton draft dodged, many many americans did and would you blame them.

conscription and the vietnam war was a terrible time in americas history.

the american government issued pardons against those who draft dodged which is an admittance that conscription as a policy was completely wrong.

as for tax dodging, the correct term is tax avoidance which is legal and the area i work in. i think its great anyway.

1. who cares if he cheats at golf. it is only a pastime.

I think you are willfully missing the point. It's not about the golf, it's about being an inherent cheat, liar and bully. That is what people say who play with him. Do you think he adopts a higher moral standard when it comes to family life (infidelity), business (not paying contractors) or politics (how many lies and counting)?

Honestly?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

conscription and the vietnam war was a terrible time in americas history.

the american government issued pardons against those who draft dodged which is an admittance that conscription as a policy was completely wrong.

as for tax dodging, the correct term is tax avoidance which is legal and the area i work in. i think its great anyway.
    Can you please explain why it's ok to do something wrong now if Bill Clinton did something comparable, or is claimed to have done something comparable?

When did Bill Clinton become the moral yardstick for determining the presidential suitability of someone?

many many americans did and would you blame them.

No I would not, only the ones dodged and then draped themselves in the flag to use Patriotism as a political tool for their own gain. I'd have an issue with that.

index.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Mocking members of the armed forces for getting captured and tortured whilst serving their country is a bit out of order aswell tbf

Whataboutism, and about the Clintons, brilliant retort

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Mocking members of the armed forces for getting captured and tortured whilst serving their country is a bit out of order aswell tbf

john mccain once told an infamous chelsea clinton joke in the 1990s, very crude and cruel. mccain is known for some outlandish comments, some very racist.

if he can give it I am sure he can take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why did he claim his father was born in Germany? :pac: does he just say the first thing that comes into his head?

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Why did he claim his father was born in Germany? :pac: does he just say the first thing that comes into his head?

i would not be surprised if he was born in germany, and his parents lied .
    its a 100 years ago.

it would be funny though if obama asked to see Fred trumps birth cert.

Any info I can find online says his father was born in New York. His grandfather was German though.

i would not be surprised if he was born in germany, and his parents lied .
    its a 100 years ago.

Seeing a Trump apologist in full swing is quite the sight to behold.
    john mccain once told an infamous chelsea clinton joke in the 1990s, very crude and cruel. mccain is known for some outlandish comments, some very racist.

if he can give it I am sure he can take it.

Well, you see Trump didn't have a go at McCain for his crude jokes, or anything like that.

He mocked him for getting caught, and being tortured while serving the Country.

Most people found that reprehensible.

What made it worse of course, was that Trump dodged the draft himself a number of times.

I cannot tell if you are being genuine or on the wind up.
    Being honest, either option is quite sad.
    In any event, I'll leave you be.

The issue with Trump supporters is that they bought into the man, so admitting now that they were wrong, that they were lied to and that the man is a reprehensible construct requires a climb down.

Certain people just can't do it, so they double down on the man, clinging to whatever they can to rationalise their choice. Like a partner who cannot leave an abusive relationship.

It is sad really.

Fun fact I just found on wikipedia. Trumps grandfather also dodged the draft in Bavaria back in the early 1900s and as a result was unable to move back there after getting married in the USA. https://www.wsj.com/articles/letter-donald-trumps-grandfather-wrote-pleading-to-stay-in-germany-surfaces-1479746306

Where Tax avoidance isn't illegal, Trumps method of employing that tactic by conflating and inflating his net worth on financial statements as detailed in court documents is fraud, and is illegal.

Do you think that's also great and something you'd professionally advocate?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Trumps grandfather also dodged the draft in Bavaria back in the early 1900s and as a result was unable to move back there after getting married in the USA. https://www.wsj.com/articles/letter-donald-trumps-grandfather-wrote-pleading-to-stay-in-germany-surfaces-1479746306

The whole family is well dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think it is simplier than that.

Anything Trump does outside the norm, ie everything, is seen as triggering the liberals, and thus is a good thing. Those that support him, because they feel powerless to do anything about it themselves (as they know that much of the liberal agenda is based on the right motives) can therefore live vicariously through him and therefore they are really winning.

It is not about right or wrong it is making others suffer to balance out what they have felt they have lost. Like having to think before they speak (they call it PC to try to make it sound nonsense). Like having to treat people fairly, hence the whataboutery as you can always find something to provide one with a reason to treat others ungraceously.

Take the #metoo movement. Fundamentally it is a good thing. Having people feel that they no longer need to stay quite when things are being done to them (in this particular case it is women but it holds across everyone). But they see it as yet another example of having to change, and change is always bad unless it is in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,541 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

But, Trump is right for once. He does indeed know plenty about wind, being full of hot air:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/437096-trump-claims-noise-from-windmills-causes-cancer

"“If you have a windmill anywhere near your house, congratulations, your house just went down 75 percent in value. And they say the noise causes cancer,” the president said while delivering remarks at the National Republican Congressional Committee's annual spring dinner. He offered no evidence to support the claim."

Poor USA.

• Advertisement

Vote passed authorising the issuance of subpoenas for the Mueller report.

Nadler is not messing around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement