Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Breaking news Assange will be expelled from the Ecuador embassy and will then be arrested by UK Police.

I suspect the Americans will love a little talk with Julian and hopefully lock him up for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Christy42

Headshot wrote: »
    Breaking news Assange will be expelled from the Ecuador embassy and will then be arrested by UK Police.

I suspect the Americans will love a little talk with Julian and hopefully lock him up for a long time
    Who knows. Trump is likely to be very friendly to Assange. Of course on the other hand he did argue for the death penalty for Chelsea Manning so we will see where it goes.

On the obstruction thing. Obstruction is an actual crime. The investigation did find and lock up criminals. If Trump tried to stop it happening and subvert the course of justice that is a big deal. I am not sure he would get impeached for it because Republicans will not want another impeached President but it is still a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Headshot wrote:

Why lock him up, he seems to have done a great job of exposing the questionable activities of governments?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Putting Assange on the 2020 ticket would be a very smart move by Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Christy42 wrote: »
    Who knows. Trump is likely to be very friendly to Assange. Of course on the other hand he did argue for the death penalty for Chelsea Manning so we will see where it goes.

On the obstruction thing. Obstruction is an actual crime. The investigation did find and lock up criminals. If Trump tried to stop it happening and subvert the course of justice that is a big deal. I am not sure he would get impeached for it because Republicans will not want another impeached President but it is still a big deal.

Seems to be a failure of understanding on some posters here, and I believe Barrs sentiment too, that if no crime took place then there cannot be any obstruction of justice, which is not true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

Putting Assange on the 2020 ticket would be a very smart move by Trump

Can't tell if you're being serious or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If there was something substantial it would be out now.

As Nancy said Democrats should not become consumed by the Mueller report.

Enough time has been wasted on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Danzy wrote: »

How? The only people that have it are Barr and his team. Trump has said previously that he would seek out any and all leakers (except when they help him I suppose).

There is plenty substantial out already btw. Trump Jr lied about the Trump Tower meeting. Trump lied to cover it up. Manafort has been conficted. Cohen, Flynn and Papadoupolous. Stone is currently awaiting trial.

In any normal democracy that would be more than enough to have the top person resign, but you think there hasn't been enough?

Democrats are not consumed by it, they hardly mentioned it during the last mid-terms. They are consumed by the fact that Barr, a Trump appointee, has decided to release only his interpretation of the report and is refusing to give congress a view of the full report.

Do you think a cover up is good for democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Or, expressed in gif form...

No more GIF's please.

This is the strategy from the same party that brought you "Hillary Clinton's emails" and "Bengazi".

It is the Republicans telling the general public how long their attention span should be, or telling them what is and what is not important to them.

Thankfully, for this administration, there are scandals breaking each and every day, and so there is a natural exhaustion when it comes to trying to keep up with "what is broken now?".

However, Trump overplaying his hand in terms of his victory tour, and Barr with the release of the memo, have piqued the interest of the public. This is a historical document. It will come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Right.

The fact that Mueller's team are starting to make noise tells it's own story.

When everyone and everything was leaking like mad for 18 months, there wasn't a peep from those guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/16/gaslighting-manipulation-reality-coping-mechanisms-trump

An article from a couple of years ago about gaslighting in a Trumpian age.

It's difficult to how to approach such a torrent of deceit as purveyed by the Trump administration, or indeed, the ERG and their fellow Eurosceptic travellers.

The media don't have the discipline for it, but just ignoring everythingh they say seems reasonable at this point.

Sometimes I have a look at the 'other side' on an issue I'm concerned about, and maybe find some value in their discussions, but I realised a long time ago that visiting places like the Donald on Reddit are pointless. Nothing useful can be learned. It is all pure, worthless nonsense.

You can't learn about these people to aid in debating them, because there is no debate. There's reality on one side and gaslighting on the other.

I thought the democrats did really well to just set out a case for themselves in the mid terms, and got elected en masse because of it, but with the presidential election, they won't have that same freedom. They will have to address Trump, and go toe to toe with him in televised debates.

I have no idea how they're going to approach that, beyond coming across as more genuine, more empathetic, stronger and more coherent, which they should be able to by default.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1113935328082104326

Interesting. One could be cynical (certainly warranted when it comes to Cohen) in that he is trying to assist as much as possible to get out of jail, and perhaps he is now handing over stuff he would rather not, but if this is really new information, as in that neither the SDNY or SCO has, then it could be even more important than Cohen's previous testimony.

Does anyone remember the correction the SCO released concerning Cormier's story that Cohen was directed to lie to congress at Trump's behest, that Trump was relieved and thankful to hear? I wonder if there are receipts here (pure speculation)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

everlast75 wrote: »

Interesting. One could be cynical (certainly warranted when it comes to Cohen) in that he is trying to assist as much as possible to get out of jail, and perhaps he is now handing over stuff he would rather not, but if this is really new information, as in that neither the SDNY or SCO has, then it could be even more important than Cohen's previous testimony.

Does anyone remember the correction the SCO released concerning Cormier's story that Cohen was directed to lie to congress at Trump's behest, that Trump was relieved and thankful to hear? I wonder if there are receipts here (pure speculation)

At this stage I'd have to imagine he's just trying to delay or get out of going to jail, and that whatever he has found is merely supporting evidence for what he's already given them, or for such small things that either way would be largely inconsequential.

Cohen's part in all of this is pretty much done at this stage. I doubt there's anything of substance he has that he wouldn't have already given to Mueller/SDNY long ago, and I think even some of the stuff he produced to the Senate Hearing a few weeks back, which the GOP Senators accused him of "finding" (as in, why didn't you find it before, you just happened to find it before this hearing etc) was stuff already reviewed by Mueller and given back to Cohen.

Could be trickling out information ("Ooh, look! I turned over my couch cushions and found more evidence! Fancy that!") to delay and delay his imprisonment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Gbear wrote: »
    Could be trickling out information ("Ooh, look! I turned over my couch cushions and found more evidence! Fancy that!") to delay and delay his imprisonment as well.

Or it could be as a result of Barrs indication that no obstruction of justice occurred.
    In so far as if Barr did find it, and Cohen was sitting on the evidence, then there'd be no reason to release it, Cohen goes to jail.
    But in this case, and it is evidence (or indeed any evidence as to the suspected crimes of Trump), Cohen releases it, still goes to jail, but gets the redemption that he's the one who sent The Donald to jail.
    Or maybe I've been watching too much Game of Thrones and watching the character arcs unfold.

Hmmmm...

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1114149123660423168?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

You'll notice my post a few posts back that took me a substantial time to decipher and write was totally glossed over here about Papadopolous. When that story broke it was the golden egg in the media and for much of the resistance movement but by looking at the emails in context you can see it was a sham.

peddlelies wrote: »
    You'll notice my post a few posts back that took me a substantial time to decipher and write was totally glossed over here about Papadopolous. When that story broke it was the golden egg in the media and for much of the resistance movement but by looking at the emails in context you can see it was a sham.

You originally wrote "it was a sham based on cherry-picked sentences from court filed emails without proper context"

I presume you deleted that part, as people might confuse it with Barr's letter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

You originally wrote "it was a sham based on cherry-picked sentences from court filed emails without proper context"

I presume you deleted that part, as people might confuse it with Barr's letter...

I edited it because I repeated the words emails and context twice which weren't needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

biden for all the negative press is well ahead in the polls.
    i think biden is the only democrat with a real chance of taking on trump and trump knows this. Biden strikes me as someone with the right mix of experience and ignorance not to care a jot what trump comes at him with.
    i dont think Sanders has the stamina to last the both races. against clinton he looked rattled near the end.
    but luckily for trump the democratic party dont want biden or sanders.
    trump is one lucky boy.

• Advertisement

biden for all the negative press is well ahead in the polls.
    i think biden is the only democrat with a real chance of taking on trump and trump knows this. Biden strikes me as someone with the right mix of experience and ignorance not to care a jot what trump comes at him with.
    i dont think Sanders has the stamina to last the both races. against clinton he looked rattled near the end.
    but luckily for trump the democratic party dont want biden or sanders.
    trump is one lucky boy.

Biden would probably win the Presidency. He wouldn't be the worst either.

His problem to some degree is his touchy feely creepy approach to women but the big thing will be that he is even worse towards young girls.

It is an exceptionally abnormal approach, there may be nothing more to it than that but ..

At the least he acts in a manner that few predators would be so brazen to do so.

He may not run but if he does his own party opponents will destroy him on that alone.

Biden would probably win the Presidency. He wouldn't be the worst either.

His problem to some degree is his touchy feely creepy approach to women but the big thing will be that he is even worse towards young girls.

It is an exceptionally abnormal approach, there may be nothing more to it than that but ..

At the least he acts in a manner that few predators would be so brazen to do so.

He may not run but if he does his own party opponents will destroy him on that alone.

The thing in my view is it is innocent. He just has been in a position of power for years and no one has the balls to say to him stop it
    His wife strangely seems as bad for it
    This has a feel of hit job on him though
    The only thing that might save him is Obama. If the Democrats attack Biden they will be essence also be attacking Obama. Obama will feel a lot of pressure to back Biden he was his vp for 8 years and Obama heaped praise on him during this time

It used to be "fake news" is the enemy of the people.

Now he has dropped his pretence...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1114221533461790721?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1114221533461790721?s=19

You would have hoped after already inspiring some acts of domestic terrorism against "enemies of the people" that DT would tone down the divisive rhetoric...

But no, the stable genius doubles down on his BS!
    If only someone would burn the Reichstag...
    I mean Capitol building....
    I wonder where that would lead! :pac:

The thing in my view is it is innocent. He just has been in a position of power for years and no one has the balls to say to him stop it
    His wife strangely seems as bad for it
    This has a feel of hit job on him though
    The only thing that might save him is Obama. If the Democrats attack Biden they will be essence also be attacking Obama. Obama will feel a lot of pressure to back Biden he was his vp for 8 years and Obama heaped praise on him during this time

He may be innocent, possibly is but he acts in such a predatory fashion that Jimmy Saville would have seen as too far.

He is disturbing to watch.

He may be innocent, possibly is but he acts in such a predatory fashion that Jimmy Saville would have seen as too far.

I don’t disagree with you
    Watched a video on it last night and yeah very strange

Can't help but notice that two posters who defend Trump often, preach about inappropriate behaviour regarding Biden but have nothing to say about Trump having 17 women accuse him of sexual assault and having his ex wife under oath accuse of him of rape.

Carry on though.

And will any of the media call him what he is - a dangerous fascist?

They'll wring their hands but none of them will call a spade a spade.

Gbear wrote: »
    And will any of the media call him what he is - a dangerous fascist?

They'll wring their hands but none of them will call a spade a spade.

In America the term call a spade a spade is not used as it is considered a racist slur
    Can you please take let up on the rhetoric

• Advertisement

In America the term call a spade a spade is not used as it is considered a racist slur
    Can you please take let up on the rhetoric

Good thing we're not in America. The term predates the use of spade racially by several hundred years and has nothing to do with any racist stereotype or even the suit of spades in cards.

The media have and continue to be totally asleep at the wheel and are totally failing in their duty to speak truth to power.

The truth here is that Trump, as seen in the tweet above, repeatedly utters blatant fascist rhetoric.

He is, without a shadow of a doubt, a fascist in every way that is important.

If that offends you, maybe you should engage in a bit of self reflection and ask why you find yourself in here defending such a man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement