Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

everlast75 wrote: »
    Carry on though.

I'll let you in on a little secret, majority of those who voted for Trump in 2016 know he's morally flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Gbear wrote:
    And will any of the media call him what he is - a dangerous fascist?

Gbear wrote:
    They'll wring their hands but none of them will call a spade a spade.

Moral panic?

Trump said oranges the other day when he meant origins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Can't help but notice that two posters who defend Trump often, preach about inappropriate behaviour regarding Biden but have nothing to say about Trump having 17 women accuse him of sexual assault and having his ex wife under oath accuse of him of rape.

Carry on though.

If you read my posts you will see I said Biden is probably innocent the reason I say this is because I believe in presumption of innocence something you obviously don’t
    Same goes for trump.
    It’s par for the course in American politics now that’s how toxic it has become
    Kavanagh had multiple accusers who simply disappeared when he became a Supreme Court judge

I think the kavanagh affair killed whatever little decency was left in US politics
    Why for kavanagh accusers did it take 20plus years and a conservative Supreme Court nomination to bring them
    Out and then when kavanagh wins his seat they all disappear again
    Where is ford ? Seriously where is she? If she truly believed she was sinned against why not take it further even civil
    The reason she did not was because her story was just that, a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Where is ford ? Seriously where is she?

You sound like a woman hating, male version of a drunk Delia Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

If you read my posts you will see I said Biden is probably innocent the reason I say this is because I believe in presumption of innocence something you obviously don’t
    Same goes for trump.
    It’s par for the course in American politics now that’s how toxic it has become
    Kavanagh had multiple accusers who simply disappeared when he became a Supreme Court judge

I think the kavanagh affair killed whatever little decency was left in US politics
    Why for kavanagh accusers did it take 20plus years and a conservative Supreme Court nomination to bring them
    Out and then when kavanagh wins his seat they all disappear again
    Where is ford ? Seriously where is she? If she truly believed she was sinned against why not take it further even civil
    The reason she did not was because her story was just that, a story.

"Ford has received considerable backlash for coming forward with her allegations against Kavanaugh, facing a number of threats that include death threats. During her testimony, Ford stated, "I have been called the most vile and hateful names imaginable. People have posted my personal information on the internet. This has resulted in additional emails, calls, and threats. My family and I were forced to move out of our home". Despite the confirmation of Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, these threats have not stopped.[72]As of November 2018, Ford stated that she is still being harassed and threatened and has had to move four times as well as hire private security.[73] Subsequently, she has not been able to resume her teaching at Palo Alto University.[25]"

Seriously, could you perhaps do some basic research before coming on boards and slating people?

• Advertisement

"Ford has received considerable backlash for coming forward with her allegations against Kavanaugh, facing a number of threats that include death threats. During her testimony, Ford stated, "I have been called the most vile and hateful names imaginable. People have posted my personal information on the internet. This has resulted in additional emails, calls, and threats. My family and I were forced to move out of our home". Despite the confirmation of Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, these threats have not stopped.[72]As of November 2018, Ford stated that she is still being harassed and threatened and has had to move four times as well as hire private security.[73] Subsequently, she has not been able to resume her teaching at Palo Alto University.[25]"

Seriously, could you perhaps do some basic research before coming on boards and slating people?

None of the above if even true stops her from making a statement to police or even better a taking a civil action
    She had done neither
    Why?

None of the above if even true stops her from making a statement to police or even better a taking a civil action
    She had done neither
    Why?

Hang on.

You asked where she was/ what happened to her.

I told you. You're welcome btw.

Most people would say - jesus, that's horrific!

Nope! Now, you're asking why she didn't proceed to make a statement to the police or take a civil action.... against a sitting Supreme court judge, *after* she literally got death threats and it's unsafe for her to return to work?

Are you for real?

Your reactions appeal abnormal to me, firstly to assume to know without question or doubt the truth about what happened with Kavanugh, where it is not clear and furthermore to have zero empathy, actually worse than that - real anger towards her...

Now you have Trump calling immigrants "animals".

Take a step back here.

This is the President calling human beings - animals.

https://twitter.com/markmobility/status/1114287002348863488?s=19

Now, the apologists will say "no no, he means the *bad* people".

Yeah. And he used to call only the "fake" media the enemy of the people. What's he doing now?

At this stage, if not even before now, if you aren't against Trump - you're part of the problem.

He has stomped on every norm of decency. I say this without any sense of hyperbole; America had better wake up to what is going on.

Hang on.

You asked where she was/ what happened to her.

I told you. You're welcome btw.

Most people would say - jesus, that's horrific!

Nope! Now, you're asking why she didn't proceed to make a statement to the police or take a civil action.... against a sitting Supreme court judge, *after* she literally got death threats and it's unsafe for her to return to work?

Are you for real?

Your reactions appeal abnormal to me, firstly to assume to know without question or doubt the truth about what happened with Kavanugh, where it is not clear and furthermore to have zero empathy, actually worse than that - real anger towards her...

Why would I be horrified by something that may or may not be true.
    I am also not angry with Ford why would I be
    Ford had no problem testifying before senate the worlds media and the American people yet we are now to believe she cannot follow through in her claims.
    Ford thought she was going to be the hero who would be the darling of the elites who stopped kavanagh and trump but her story and actions had more holes then Swiss cheese
    Now she is such a Pariah she can’t even get a book deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Now you have Trump calling immigrants "animals".

Take a step back here.

This is the President calling human beings - animals.

Now, the apologists will say "no no, he means the *bad* people".

Yeah. And he used to call only the "fake" media the enemy of the people. What's he doing now?

At this stage, if not even before now, if you aren't against Trump - you're part of the problem.

He has stomped on every norm of decency. I say this without any sense of hyperbole; America had better wake up to what is going on.

He's done it before.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/us/politics/trump-undocumented-immigrants-animals.html

What's the point anymore? There's nothing he can say or do that will deter his supporters from their continued devotion to him and what he represents to them.

Conversely, there's nothing he can say or do that will convince his detractors that he is worthy of anything other than derision for his countless issues as a Human being, business man and POTUS.

Even if he is jailed, escapes unpunished or keels over after gorging himself on hamberders; his terrible legacy will reverberate for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Now she is such a Pariah she can’t even get a book deal

That sentence right there speaks volumes about your character.

Think I'm going to have to figure out how this ignore button works.

How exactly will his legacy last for decades
    The reality is when the Democrats win again they will reverse everything he has done
    Let’s keep the Hyperbole for poetry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Probably in the same way that Senator Joe McCarhy got his - no decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The reality is when the Democrats win again they will reverse everything he has done

Really? You don't think Trump will leave a legacy far beyond his, limited, legislative accomplishments?

For a start he has changed how people view the press. Warranted or not the press are now seen by many as anti American.

He has emboldened far right groups in particular white surpremicist groups.

He has set back the move towards inclusivity and acceptance. Whether that be immigrants, muslims of LGBTQ.

He has put back the cause for climate change acceptance and actions. We are looking at at least 4 years before realistically the US will refocus on that.

He has created the impression that knowledge is not something worth worrying about. Opinion and want are far more important.

He has made lying in politics totally acceptable.

He has made politics about win/lose. Whichever side wins governs only for themselves and cares not about the rest of the country. Of course all government parties look to implement their own agendas, but the norm would be to try to bring the rest with you. Trump actively seeks to antagonize and belittle the rest.

And all that is before we get into the areas of federal debt which is soaring and will force others to pay the price in the future.

That is before we talk about the massive amount of conservative judges he has appointed. Before we talk about the realigning of SCOTUS.

The fact he has made it normal to be openly using the Potus position to increase business and allow family members to use it to boost theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

He has carried decency in the states backwards by a substantial amount and is emboldening the type of people that really really don't need to be emboldened.

It's now validated to be a racist, sexist, cheating, tax dodging, liar.

The democrats can't just reverse that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think it's difficult to say where Trump's legacy ends and the new normal of Republican-constructed low brow, partisan, anti-intellectual, anti-democratic politics begin.

Trump is the archetype in many respects, for what the Republicans want. The only element I might lay at Trump's door alone would be a continuing level of incompetence at executive level, because while his presidency has been useful to the Republicans, I don't think he has been the most efficient president they could have had in terms of getting legislative erosion of civil liberties and voter disenfranchisement, and while he has had some successes in forwarding the far right foreign policy agenda, WRT Israel and Iran, I think he's done a lot more damage to institutions that US hegemony relies on to exert it's power worldwide, and has failed to address the issues of nuclear proliferation in global enemies such as Saudi (long term there's no question they are enemies) and particularly NK.

On this thread Donald trump has been called incompetent and moronic and stupid
    We are told on here he has achieved nothing in his first 2 years
    Now his actions will leave a legacy that will last for generations
    Which is it people

I think you are confusing the influence of trump and the decline and fall of the American empire
    As America loses more wealth and power to China and the middle east the people will become more and more disillusioned
    You think trump is bad wait 20 years when America’s position in the world has fallen further
    War is coming and there is nothing that can stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Which is it people

Negative legacy permeates too. He is already ranked worst President among historians and that's an extremely tough tag to shake.

His and Mitch McConnells actions (though Trump will get credit) will see the Supreme Court be extremely conservative for decades to come, this as the US population as a whole become more progressive each passing year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

One of the most disturbing aspects of Trump's legacy is what he's normalised. Eg referring to people as "animals not people". That's literally the language of Hitler, referring to a group as if they're invading hordes.

Midlife wrote:
    It's now validated to be a racist, sexist, cheating, tax dodging, liar.

Oh right. Cos it wasn't clear that Bill Clinton was equally as guilty when it comes to almost all of the above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Oh right. Cos it wasn't clear that Bill Clinton was equally as guilty when it comes to almost all of the above
    Excellent Whataboutism.
    Citation?

Which is it people

If I drive a truck up to 80mph and then jump out and let it career into a housing estate, that will leave quite the legacy.

Do you understand now your argument makes no sense?

If I drive a truck up to 80mph and then jump out and let it career into a housing estate, that will leave quite the legacy.

Do you understand now your argument makes no sense?

And your death as jumping from a truck at 80 mph would kill you instantly
    Trump is actually a clever guy who will have an exit plan for him and most importantly his family and brand

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

And your death as jumping from a truck at 80 mph would kill you instantly
    Trump is actually a clever guy who will have an exit plan for him and most importantly his family and brand

So you’re saying unlike the suicidal truck driver, Trump has an exit strategy, but he’s still trying to kill and destroy as many as he can in the process, so he won’t be forgotten!

SeamusFX wrote: »
    So you’re saying unlike the suicidal truck driver, Trump has an exit strategy, but he’s still trying to kill and destroy as many as he can in the process, so he can leave a legacy that will last for generations!

Who is he killing

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Who is he killing

I didn’t make up the analogy, but you’re the one who said the stable genius was “a clever guy” who would have an exit plan. But if you can’t see it, Trump is killing the American way, the American dream, immigrant children in cages and our own children by reversing climate change regulations. He has done a tremendous amount of damage, it’s pretty obvious.

SeamusFX wrote: »
    I didn’t make up the analogy, but you’re the one who said the stable genius was “a clever guy” who would have an exit plan. But if you can’t see it, Trump is killing the American way, the American dream, immigrant children in cages and our own children by reversing climate change regulations. He has done a tremendous amount of damage, it’s pretty obvious.

The American dream and American way is more linked to trump and Reagan then any other presidents in recent times
    Those kids in “cages” are the blame of their family, criminals and the Mexican state

The climate change comment is just silly. Very pretentious of you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭amandstu

The American dream and American way is more linked to trump and Reagan then any other presidents in recent times
    Those kids in “cages” are the blame of their family, criminals and the Mexican state

The Climate Change comment was very apt** Why don't you think so ?

**applies to you too if you support his Climate Change policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Children literally died because of his border policy. Was completely unnecessary and it was the fault of the US.

It's pretentious to say that his climate change stance will negatively impact future generations?

• Advertisement

amandstu wrote: »
    The Climate Change comment was very apt** Why don't you think so ?

**applies to you too if you support his Climate Change policies.

All these climate change policies sound great until it comes time to pay for them
    These Climate change policies are in essence we tax some people to subsidise other people

The world economy is driven on 2 things, cheap oil and greed.
    To change any of these drivers has the potential to cause an economic depression the likes the world has never seen

When Lehman brothers collapsed it sent shockwaves that are still felt today
    What we will never know is how close Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley came 10 years ago to collapsing and even now it is not fully known how truly strong these banks are financially.

If Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley were to collapse that would be it. There would be no saving us it would be anarchy
    The last 7 years of growth realistically has been driven by China and Asia and the reports on chinas economy is it might be slowing. That can be a good thing but if China were to go into recession we could be looking at the beginning of the end and the potential of most of Europe including Ireland to look like Greece.

Trump is a business man and he is wisely using cheap carbon based resources to drive the American economy now.
    The simple fact is the reason why climate friendly energies is pointless is they are very very expensive and America and europe can not afford them
    China And the Middle East will have to loan us the money and with that will come a new dynamic which I am not sure people like you have thought out. I will give you one hint. Bye bye welfare state.
    We should have started thirty years ago going green before China has become what is now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement