Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Midlife wrote: »
    Except the whole thing about liberty, equality and democracy.

Trump is about as un-American in terms of his values as any president has been.

Simply being right wing and cosying up to the gun lobby does not equate to American values.

Stick it on as many red hats as you want but Trump is essentially a betrayal of the core values of the united states. It's essentially unpatriotic to defend a lot of the stuff he does.

America’s key belief is freedom.
    They are only true country in the world that is free. The reason for this is the constitution but that is under attack and trump is defending the right to bear arms and freedom of speech something which the Democrats will not do.
    A lot of people do not understand about guns in America and something I learned From my time working in Chicago and San Francisco Is America is a violent country it is in their dna
    Some of the poverty in Chicago and Oakland and parts of San Fran has to be seen to be believed

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

They are only true country in the world that is free.

Evern those in poverty that you speak of?

Or is freedom just for wealthy types who can develop bone spurs and avoid taxes?

You're pedalling a bull**** myth tbh.

Unless you can quantify what in your opinion makes america the only trule free country.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

They are only true country in the world that is free. The reason for this is the constitution but that is under attack and trump is defending the right to bear arms and freedom of speech something which the Democrats will not do.
    A lot of people do not understand about guns in America and something I learned From my time working in Chicago and San Francisco Is America is a violent country it is in their dna
    Some of the poverty in Chicago and Oakland and parts of San Fran has to be seen to be believed

theres no such thing as freedom on this planet, and those that peddle it, are peddling bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 25,566 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

How does the average American have more freedom than say an Irish person or English, or in fact any European?

the below link proves many 2 major points that nullify nearly everything posted on here

1. america is not a racist country - the only colour they care about is green.
    2. america is the greatest country in the world - the people are voting with their feet. and why are they choosing america, because it the most free and welcoming country in the world.

https://wtop.com/news/2017/07/10-countries-that-take-the-most-immigrants/

america has the first amendment which is backed up by the second amendment.
    no other 'free' country has such a constitutionally backed freedom of speech.
    it truly is for its problems the land of the free and the home of the brave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

looksee wrote: »
    I am not going to engage in your exercise in pedantry. The answer I gave covers the rather silly point you are fussing over.

So you can see nothing, that answers my question.

the below link proves many 2 major points that nullify nearly everything posted on here

2. america is the greatest country in the world - the people are voting with their feet. and why are they choosing america, because it the most free and welcoming country in the world.

Except if you want the freedom to kneel during the national anthem or have a beer on your 20th birthday.

Your rediculously niave and frankly childlike belief that America is the only 'free' country because it says so in the constitution are basically a myth perpetuated by those in power in America.

Trump and his ilk love this 'freedom' and lack of government because it's lead to the most unequal first world country in the world, up there in the rankings with the Ivory Coast and Qatar.

They tell their followers that this inequality is because of immmigrats and the answer to it is trickle down economics (which will definitly work this time) and so they give the rich another tax break.

Meanwhile, there's no hand out or hand up for the poor because that woruld mean more government, and hey, then we wouldn't be the most free country in the world anymore. It'd practically be like communism.

Shame on you for being sucked in by this. Especially given you've seen first hand the appalling level of poverty and segregation in the states.

Also random link dump or what. The link you posted says nothing that you claimed it does. i feel you may not be fully serious with this given how far wrong you are with it.

The link simply said US accepted 1 million migrants in 2015 and Germany 600,000.

You siad that this PROVES....

"1. america is not a racist country - the only colour they care about is green.
    2. america is the greatest country in the world - the people are voting with their feet. and why are they choosing america, because it the most free and welcoming country in the world."

Except if you want the freedom to kneel during the national anthem or have a beer on your 20th birthday.

Your rediculously niave and frankly childlike belief that America is the only 'free' country because it says so in the constitution are basically a myth perpetuated by those in power in America.

Trump and his ilk love this 'freedom' and lack of government because it's lead to the most unequal first world country in the world, up there in the rankings with the Ivory Coast and Qatar.

They tell their followers that this inequality is because of immmigrats and the answer to it is trickle down economics (which will definitly work this time) and so they give the rich another tax break.

Meanwhile, there's no hand out or hand up for the poor because that woruld mean more government, and hey, then we wouldn't be the most free country in the world anymore. It'd practically be like communism.

Shame on you for being sucked in by this. Especially given you've seen first hand the appalling level of poverty and segregation in the states.

but they did kneel during the national anthem and kapernick ended up signing a million dollar deal with nike - name one country where that would happen

the rest of the post is your own personal thoughts which i acknowledge but do not accept. 2 retorts - trickle down economics does work but in a survival of the fittest concept which i understand many people hate and my time over there i only saw the same segregation you see in ireland, along economic lines.

but they did kneel during the national anthem and kapernick ended up signing a million dollar deal with nike - name one country where that would happen

So Trump's criticism of him was essentially un-American?

• Advertisement

So Trump's criticism of him was essentially un-American?

In America You have the right to freedom of speech
    It is essentially American for trump to criticise kapernick and it is essentially American for kapernick to kneel
    And it is essentially American for the people to take a side or to not give a hoot
    It’s called freedom

It is essentially American for trump to criticise kapernick and it is essentially American for kapernick to kneel
    And it is essentially American for the people to take a side or to not give a hoot
    It’s called freedom

You have the same freedom in most countries.

It’s called freedom

So, it was essentially un-american for Trump to say things like 'all players have to stand' and to say 'they should be dropped or fired for protesting' was also against basic american values.

I mean he's trying to take the right to freedom of speech from these people, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭DreamsBurnDown

There's much confusion on show regarding freedom of speech, at least in the US.
    Freedom of speech only relates to the government not being allowed to limit individual speech, except for a few instances (fighting talk, obscenity, defamation).

There is essentially no freedom of speech in the private workplace. If an employer determines that your speech is harming their business for example, that is grounds for dismissal and you have very little legal recourse unless you can show discrimination (others did the same and were not disciplined).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Heritage Foundation, a US conservative think tank doesn't even have the US ranked in top 10 in overall freedom...

https://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Heritage Foundation, a US conservative think tank doesn't even have the US ranked in top 10 in overall freedom...

https://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

Uae at no 9 very funny
    The link below proves that heritage foundation index is only for the gullible

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kirstjen Nielsen is resigning from DHS.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47848619

Hopefully in time her tenure is properly investigated and charges of Crimes Against Humanity are brought against her and/or whoever else might be responsible for the atrocities committed against immigrants and their children coming into the US.

I wonder will that be another thing to add to the pile of Trump's charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Uae at no 9 very funny
    The link below proves that heritage foundation index is only for the gullible

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates

here's a different source placing the US behind most other developed nations
    https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/freedom-world-2019

chart is on page 16
    https://freedomhouse.org/sites/default/files/Feb2019_FH_FITW_2019_Report_ForWeb-compressed.pdf
    477302.JPG

I have had a good look at those links with an open mind until I read this link
    I am very confused and angry with that bs and if you are Irish so should you
    Most of the the comments are meaningless or unproven
    I do not trust freedom house

https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2018/ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

So, hot on the heels of Trump's decision to remove Vitiello from the top ICE job on Thursday night, because he wants to move immigration policy in a tougher direction, he fires Nielsen on Sunday.

Stephen Miller's agenda seems to be gaining a new lease of life. Expect even more rhetoric in coming months supporting the immigration crisis narrative as this Administration doubles down on all things to do with ' The Wall' being a major plank of the 2020 election effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I have had a good look at those links with an open mind until I read this link
    I am very confused and angry with that bs and if you are Irish so should you
    Most of the the comments are meaningless or unproven
    I do not trust freedom house

https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2018/ireland

Nothing in that confuses or anger me.

Since you are so willing to dismiss sources others have provided how about a valid source for the US being the "free-ist" country then? Something tangible rather than just your own perception.

Nothing in that confuses or anger me.

Since you are so willing to dismiss sources others have provided how about a valid source for the US being the "free-ist" country then? Something tangible rather than just your own perception.

Irish travelers reportedly face discrimination in housing and hiring is just one issue I have with that link
    It’s the lies and hearsay I cant stand
    I will revert to you tomorrow with sources regards my own perceptions.

Irish travelers reportedly face discrimination in housing and hiring is just one issue I have with that link
    It’s the lies and hearsay I cant stand
    I will revert to you tomorrow with sources regards my own perceptions.

Didn't black people get the same discrimination from Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Uae at no 9 very funny The link below proves that heritage foundation index is only for the gullible

'Gullible', so apt!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seems like the State Department awarded a Finnish journalist with an 'international woman of courage' award, discussed it for several months, then rescinded it when they found out she was critical of Trump on twitter. All image, all the time, is how this administration will be remembered.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/07/media/jessikka-aro-state-department-reliable-sources/index.html

Oh, and good riddance Kristen "I was just following orders" Nielsen. Leaving the DHS. Another cabinet-level official fired/leaving in the most unstable administration in history:
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/07/politics/kirstjen-nielsen-homeland-security/index.html

It’s the lies and hearsay I cant stand.

From a Trump fan this is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are you saying that the Traveling community doesn’t face discrimination when it comes to housing & hiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    So, hot on the heels of Trump's decision to remove Vitiello from the top ICE job on Thursday night, because he wants to move immigration policy in a tougher direction, he fires Nielsen on Sunday.

Stephen Miller's agenda seems to be gaining a new lease of life. Expect even more rhetoric in coming months supporting the immigration crisis narrative as this Administration doubles down on all things to do with ' The Wall' being a major plank of the 2020 election effort.

Great news for the Dems in 2020.

Expect to see news of "dem caravans" becoming urgent all of a sudden approaching voting time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Didn't black people get the same discrimination from Trump?

Yes. During Nixon Nixon's presidency, (yep, NIXON!) he was sued by the government for discriminatory practices. And he settled.

• Advertisement

jooksavage wrote: »
    Yes. During Nixon Nixon's presidency, (yep, NIXON!) he was sued by the government for discriminatory practices. And he settled.

So this makes it ok?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement