Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Normally theres a reservoir of water kept on top of Notre Dame for this very such event. At least there was the last time I did the tour.
    You probably didnt know that cos your in another country,

You do know we are talking about Paris, a city of 10 million people , and your saying they might have issues getting 2 x 70mm hoses.

Well given that the roof was been renovated it was taken out or many changes have been done since your 1 trip.

So are you going to provide some info to your FACTS in relation to Parisians are up in arms about the firefighters handling of the fire or those shows you were listening to or will it be deflecting until you hope people will forget

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Brilliant. You created a whole load of talking points to which you can offer no evidence whatsoever and now you want to move on!

We can all move on if you can agree that Trump was wrong, it was the wrong type of tweet to send and that neither Trump, you are apparently the people you have talked to have any understanding of the real issues that the fire services faced.

Instead of simply stating that he was sad to see the destruction and that he stood with France and would offer any help they required he had to make up some rubbish based on his own feelings that he knows better.

And to think I got a ban for saying the left was totalitarian.

It doesnt get much more totalitatian than that ...

We can move if you agree Trump was wrong ....

agree with us and then we can move on , welcome to the world of Anti-Trump.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So the Trump administration made a major announcement yesterday, not alot of coverage, I think all the anti-Trumpers are caught up in discussing Trumps tweet regarding Notre Dame. Time to move on .

<SNIP>

I said nothing about Notre Dame, so why are you quoting me with this response?
    As well as making major inroads (post Obamas inaction) in leading the way with the Space race, the Trump administration has not let the grass grow under its feet when it comes to 5G communications and the roll out of it .

The FCC under Trumps direction is leading the way in releasing 5G spectrum, making it faster and easier and cheaper to install 5G units, and rolling out 5G fibre and spending billions on upgrading rural broadband.

You know 5G was in development for years before Trump decided to run? It's only coincidence it's being rolled out under his presidency.

5G fibre? 5G is a wireless protocol.
    The USA under Trump administration is set to lead the world in the rollout of 5G , which will be a boost to US economy, jobs and oppurtunities for the future. With over 200 billion being spent by wireless companies on 5G .

And the anti-Trumpers accuse him of talking points .

Like I said Trumps policys become FACT and REALITY .. roll on 5G .

(the debate on the enviromental impact of 5G is for another thread/day)

Are you sure the US is leading the 5G rollout?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Even if Parisians are up in arms about anything it doesn’t mean that the firefighters did anything wrong. This is all bluster to deflect from Trump saying something without thinking.

Brian? wrote: »
    I said nothing about Notre Dame, so why are you quoting me with this response?

You know 5G was in development for years before Trump decided to run? It's only coincidence it's being rolled out under his presidency.

5G fibre? 5G is a wireless protocol.

Decisions decisions, do I listen to random posters about 5G fibre requirements or do I listen to what some of my suppliers and leading lights in the telecommunications industry are saying regarding 5G

5G-wireless-needs-fiber-and-lots-of-it

https://www.ciena.com/insights/articles/5G-wireless-needs-fiber-and-lots-of-it_prx.html

Anyone who knows anything about 5G knows it will require huge amounts of fibre to carry the backhaul, so when referring to 5G fibre its obviously the fibre required to make the 5G rollout work.

• Advertisement

Decisions decisions, do I listen to random posters about 5G fibre requirements or do I listen to what some of my suppliers and leading lights in the telecommunications industry are saying regarding 5G

5G-wireless-needs-fiber-and-lots-of-it

https://www.ciena.com/insights/articles/5G-wireless-needs-fiber-and-lots-of-it_prx.html

Anyone who knows anything about 5G knows it will require huge amounts of fibre to carry the backhaul, so when referring to 5G fibre its obviously the fibre required to make the 5G rollout work.

I completely understand that 5G needs a high speed fixed network to support it. You called it "5G fibre" though , which I found very confusing so I sought clarity. Would you care to reply to the rest of my post?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not at all. You brought up a series of points that you have failed to provide any evidence for, apart from I heard others talking about it. I pointed out that I could say the exact same about Trump and collusion, yet you Rightly, don't take the same line with that. So you are not being consistent for a start.

You then tried to change the subject on the basis that, IYO, it was time to move on. I agreed that it would be time to move on if we could come to an agreement based on the fact that you had failed in any way to back up any of your claims, and in fact others had pointed out the myriad problems that your points raised.

It has nothing to do with totalitarianism, left liberals. This is a discussion forum. You decided to start a discussion to try to defend Trump tweet, saying on a number of occasions that he was right all along. We have had numerous requests to you to back up any of your claims. you have failed to do so.

That you see that as some sort of attack on you because I simply won't drop the issue that had exercised you for so long yet all of a sudden when faced with actual reality you claim no longer interests you is not mine, or anyone elses fault.

I completely understand that 5G needs a high speed fixed network to support it. You called it "5G fibre" though , which I found very confusing so I sought clarity. Would you care to reply to the rest of my post?

By the end of this year, the United States will have 92 5G deployments in markets nationwide. The next nearest country, South Korea, will have 48.

Cisco projected that, in three years, 5G would be more than twice as prevalent in North America as in Asia.

So you tell me who else is leading the way in 5G rollout ?

Nice deflect by trying to go on the attack. But you know the poster was only referring to that 1 point by Trump which has been shown here as wrong. People say wrong things everyday and admit it. It not a sign of weakness just humility that you can be wrong as all humans are.

By the end of this year, the United States will have 92 5G deployments in markets nationwide. The next nearest country, South Korea, will have 48.

Cisco projected that, in three years, 5G would be more than twice as prevalent in North America as in Asia.

So you tell me who else is leading the way in 5G rollout ?

Are you ever going to answer an entire post of mine?

The US may take the leadership later in the 5G rollout, but they aren't in the lead.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote:

The Trump administration directed for the enactment of The National Spectrum Strategy .

The Trump Administration has had 5 major FCC changes enacted under the Trump watch .

Trump Administration directed FCC and the 5G Fast Plan ,
    Freeing spectrum
    Reducing 5G paperwork, permit turnarounds
    Reducing 5G cost
    Announced 3 spectrum auctions
    And a 20 billion investment in rural fibre (remember folks its hte fibre that will carry the 5G backhaul)

And the anti-Trumpers says its only a coincidence that its being rolled out so fast and so successfully I might add under his watch.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Trump administration has rolled out more optical fibre to more locations in the last 12 months than in any previous year.

Telecomms in complex, and it a combination of wireless and physical cable.

The first 5G auction in January was sold out,
    the current second auction has bids of over 2 billion ,
    and the third one is due shortly and expected to sell out also ..

So the major telecommunications companies in the US are spending billions on 5G specturm auction , and the anti-Trumpers are calling his rollout plan as useful as a chocolate teapot ....

The TDS bias does indeed run deep.

So , PCMAG - one of the oldest Computer publications around is Anti-Trump and is making stuff up just go have a go at Trump?

Did you read the referenced article or indeed the referenced Technical document from Eriksson?

You made the comment about Rural Broadband , I merely showed an article , with technical backup indicating that the spectrum being sold is next to useless for that purpose as its range is significantly less than what is required.

Of course the companies will buy what's on offer , that doesn't mean it's what they need to actually make it work and derive the full benefits that could be achieved by maximising the range and capacity that 5G technology provides..

Internet providers are past-masters of Marketing spin when it comes to technology - "Speeds up to" , "5G ready" (whatever the hell that means, from our own Imagine Telecom) etc.

And given where Ajit Pai comes from it's not surprising.

The Spectra will sell for big money , but a lot less than the mid-range bands that are really needed as they'd have to cover the cost of moving the legacy users off the platform.

It's a 5G auction that really isn't going to deliver what it could do , but it looks/sounds great and the ISP's will market the hell out of it and charge a massive premium for a service that will not be anywhere near as good as it could be...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm reading in the NYT that a Trump lawyer (April 15th) has urged the Treasury not to release Dons tax returns. Now if the Treasury can release his returns, then all the talk from Don on a "yes I will - no I won't release them" basis isn't worth a cent. I'm also reading that the House Democrats (April 15th) have subpoenaed Deutsche Bank for its Trump records. I assume that its the NY branch records sought, thought whether the other investigation (NY Attorney General) ongoing into the same bank branch has precedence in law may have to be determined yet.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    So , PCMAG - one of the oldest Computer publications around is Anti-Trump and is making stuff up just go have a go at Trump?

Did you read the referenced article or indeed the referenced Technical document from Eriksson?

You made the comment about Rural Broadband , I merely showed an article , with technical backup indicating that the spectrum being sold is next to useless for that purpose as its range is significantly less than what is required.

Of course the companies will buy what's on offer , that doesn't mean it's what they need to actually make it work and derive the full benefits that could be achieved by maximising the range and capacity that 5G technology provides..

Internet providers are past-masters of Marketing spin when it comes to technology - "Speeds up to" , "5G ready" (whatever the hell that means, from our own Imagine Telecom) etc.

And given where Ajit Pai comes from it's not surprising.

The Spectra will sell for big money , but a lot less than the mid-range bands that are really needed as they'd have to cover the cost of moving the legacy users off the platform.

It's a 5G auction that really isn't going to deliver what it could do , but it looks/sounds great and the ISP's will market the hell out of it and charge a massive premium for a service that will not be anywhere near as good as it could be...

As well as the multiple initiatives the Trump adminstration has enacted on 5G rollout ...
    Verizon have rolled 5G out in a couple of cities.

Trump is rolling out 20 billion on Rural broadband development.
    If you were paying attention to the specifics of the the Trump Administration rural broadband initiative you would know that its designed to extend high-speed broadband to up to 4 million homes and small businesses in rural America.
    And as 5G evolves in the future that HSB initiative will be in place , its called future planning something a successfull business man like Donald Trump knows all about.

So your saying the specturm is next to useless (anything to bash Trump I guess), whilst the telecomms giants of America are saying its worth 5-6 billion ...

Im not sure I ever said the US was in the lead on 5G rollout , perhaps I did , Im too busy to check , but Im still waiting on the other mod, to tell me who is in the lead on 5G rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

aloyisious wrote: »
    I'm reading in the NYT that a Trump lawyer (April 15th) has urged the Treasury not to release Dons tax returns. Now if the Treasury can release his returns, then all the talk from Don on a "yes I will - no I won't release them" basis isn't worth a cent. I'm also reading that the House Democrats (April 15th) have subpoenaed Deutsche Bank for its Trump records. I assume that its the NY branch records sought, thought whether the other investigation (NY Attorney General) ongoing into the same bank branch has precedence in law may have to be determined yet.

Trump has told them to ignore the subpoena.

Any other time that's surely impeachment all on its own, but these days I suppose it just goes in the pile.

Between that and offering bribes of a pardon for border officers who he instructed to break the law, that's two more bullet proof justifications for impeachment (and presumably indictment afterwards) just in the last week.

Gbear wrote: »

Any other time that's surely impeachment all on its own, but these days I suppose it just goes in the pile.

Between that and offering bribes of a pardon for border officers who he instructed to break the law, that's two more bullet proof justifications for impeachment (and presumably indictment afterwards) just in the last week.

So the anti-Trumpers think Trump has committed 2 possibly 3 impeachable offences this week. Thats impressive.

I think the left need to find some policys to win the next election, this impeachment thing is not working .

Gbear wrote: »

Any other time that's surely impeachment all on its own, but these days I suppose it just goes in the pile..

Yes, well, he knows he's immune from prosecution (maybe even arrest) as president unlike any NY Deutsche Bank official who does not comply with serviced subpoenas. It left me wondering if he gave the same advice in respect of the NYAG,s ones or just reserved that advice for the Dem House one/s.

So the anti-Trumpers think Trump has committed 2 possibly 3 impeachable offences this week. Thats impressive.

I think the left need to find some policys to win the next election, this impeachment thing is not working .

I'm glad to see that you are impressed with Dons record of impeachable offences. You do know that the leader of the Dems, Senator Pelosi has stated that the impeachment route will not be followed by the House Democrats? Meantime I like your definition of anyone not a republican as a leftist. Would you include the present political switch-hitting president within that definition?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,719 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He has carried out multiple impeachment worthy offences, compared to presidents who were impeached previously.

Whether the blindly loyal Rep members of the senate would vote with their conscience is another matter.

And trump had better be careful what he wishes for. I think Nixon was impeached on three charges

1) obstruction of justice
    2) abuse of power
    3) contempt of Congress

And Clinton two

1) one of perjury
    2) one of obstruction of justice.

I'd say Trump has quite the laundry list by comparison at this stage. Could be quite compelling when all set out in black and white all at once.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As well as the multiple initiatives the Trump adminstration has enacted on 5G rollout ...
    Verizon have rolled 5G out in a couple of cities.

Trump is rolling out 20 billion on Rural broadband development.
    If you were paying attention to the specifics of the the Trump Administration rural broadband initiative you would know that its designed to extend high-speed broadband to up to 4 million homes and small businesses in rural America.
    And as 5G evolves in the future that HSB initiative will be in place , its called future planning something a successfull business man like Donald Trump knows all about.

So your saying the specturm is next to useless (anything to bash Trump I guess), whilst the telecomms giants of America are saying its worth 5-6 billion ...

Im not sure I ever said the US was in the lead on 5G rollout , perhaps I did , Im too busy to check , but Im still waiting on the other mod, to tell me who is in the lead on 5G rollout.

Again, missing the point entirely.

Of course it's worth 5-6 Billion to them , they'll buy them and then charge outrageous amounts for people to use them.

US Mobile & Broadband charges are already way above the levels seen in most other countries. They will absolutely make massive amounts of money from selling their shiny new 5G Services.

But, the point being made is not about the "value" of them to the ISP's it's about the effectiveness of the Spectra being used and the services they will be capable of delivering.

They've chosen a set of wavelengths that will provide very low range service and as such it will be a much poorer quality service then it could be if they took the more challenging decision to clear out the mid-range spectrum and use that instead.

It will be a cash-cow for the ISP's and Telco's but the service that will be provided will be overpriced and under featured because of these decisions.

• Advertisement

The Trump administration directed for the enactment of The National Spectrum Strategy .

The Trump Administration has had 5 major FCC changes enacted under the Trump watch .

Trump Administration directed FCC and the 5G Fast Plan ,
    Freeing spectrum
    Reducing 5G paperwork, permit turnarounds
    Reducing 5G cost
    Announced 3 spectrum auctions
    And a 20 billion investment in rural fibre (remember folks its hte fibre that will carry the 5G backhaul)

And the anti-Trumpers says its only a coincidence that its being rolled out so fast and so successfully I might add under his watch.

You're not debating honestly. You constantly reply selectively and never to entire posts. I'm done here.

they/them/theirs

You're not debating honestly. You constantly reply selectively and never to entire posts. I'm done here.

See now he sees this as a victory by the gallant soldiers of Trump to wear people down and leave in defeat

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It's what's the ignore button is for, although you then lose the insight in to how deep the delusion goes

See now he sees this as a victory by the gallant soldiers of Trump to wear people down and leave in defeat
    duploelabs wrote: »
    It's what's the ignore button is for, although you then lose the insight in to how deep the delusion goes

##Mod Note##

No more of this please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Paris citizens are up in arms , most Parisians are questioning where were all the fire houses, why did it take so long to get them in place, why was there only one or 2 hoses in action, why was there no special equipment available ..

Trump is bang on the money.

Act fast , and get some water on that fire. (he might have been wrong about using a Canadair) but his points still stand

And 100% of Parisians I spoke to this morning are all in agreement with what he said (albeit they probably dont know or care he made these points, they are more concerened about thier city.).

But yes thousands, in fact tens of thousands are asking similar questions, why were the fire service so slow and where was the water hoses.

People who live in Paris have woken up with many questions about the Fire Service reaction, and 99% of what I have heard so far is not positive. French radio and all the Parisian stations are carrying the same questions .

So Trump was pretty much right , again.

Case in point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

derossi wrote: »
    I have been around those helicopters in this country as they drop water and the volume they drop is significant and as much as they try and drop it accurately it is definitely not an exact science. Grand in an open area where crews can stay back but in a hugely built up area I can see no positive benefit. If they are to operate no crews could work in the area and would you really want aircraft in and around the fire, never heard of it to be honest.

What would be your position on spray-equipped helicopters such as IMG_4184.jpg or m02010021300002.jpg

I fail to see much of a difference between the water output of that, and of a traditional hose on a ladder platform. The helo trades sustainability for the ability to get to places that traditional ladders cannot reach.

Dropping water is not the only way of delivering by air, it's just the most common: Usually wildfires don't care as much about accuracy, and skyscrapers tend to have fairly capable fire suppression systems.

Manic, what does "flying water tankers" mean? When you read that in his tweet what is it that he is saying?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Manic, what does "flying water tankers" mean? When you read that in his tweet what is it that he is saying?

Are you a fixed wing or a rotary wing guy? I presume you're thinking what I might call a "water bomber"

Don't get me wrong, the tweet was utterly inappropriate, as if the French fire brigade need his advice. But one can't deny that it's a capability gap, and it's not a stupid idea. Some countries fill it, some don't. Apparently the French don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Are you a fixed wing or a rotary wing guy? I presume you're thinking what I might call a "water bomber"

Don't get me wrong, the tweet was utterly inappropriate, as if the French fire brigade need his advice. But one can't deny that it's a capability gap, and it's not a stupid idea. Some countries fill it, some don't. Apparently the French don't.

The bit in bold, referring to Trump I assume?

• Advertisement

I merely asked what you felt it meant. You provided pictures to, I assume from the post, point that Trump had a point.

Do you think he meant hose equipped helicopters when he stated flying water tankers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement