Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

who has cameo'd in multiple films, was a very popular man in hollywood circles for a long time, who had a pretty successful reality tv career, who has his name plastered on the side of multiple buildings, who became president of the united states.

Despite the loath for him from most corners, the chap achieved a hell of a lot off his own bat / paying the right people and has lived a life most of us could only dream of. Most narcissists can only dream of being able to execute the sheer amount of ego masturbation the guy has continuously subjected himself to.

Oh, absolutely - He has built himself a fairly amazing life based on what would appear to be nothing more than ego , amorality and an ability to lie about anything to anyone without even a hint of remorse.

All the more reason that the removal of the protection of the facade he has built will be all the more damaging.

Everyone knows he's a bulls**t artist , but there's knowing and there's "knowing" . And the public release of his finances and business practices via Congressional oversight really is "knowing"

He is the "Amoral Icarus" and he may truly regret flying to the heights of the Presidency - the fall to earth could be a very long one indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Oh, absolutely - He has built himself a fairly amazing life based on what would appear to be nothing more than ego , amorality and an ability to lie about anything to anyone without even a hint of remorse.

All the more reason that the removal of the protection of the facade he has built will be all the more damaging.

Everyone knows he's a bulls**t artist , but there's knowing and there's "knowing" . And the public release of his finances and business practices via Congressional oversight really is "knowing"

He is the "Amoral Icarus" and he may truly regret flying to the heights of the Presidency - the fall to earth could be a very long one indeed.

Multiple sources have said that he didn't want to win. He wanted to use the platform to make more money as a "nearly won", blame the rigged election and skulk off with bags of cash. Apparently, being a nominee for the US President is a big money spinner. Rumours were Melania was gutted they won too.

Fights subpoenas, fights the release of his tax documents, of his financial records and yet stands bare faced to the world on camera and says he is the most transparent president ever? What a loathsome individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

Quin_Dub wrote: »

You obviously exempted yourself from the silly name calling quip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

mattser wrote: »

Not really the worst analogy. By rising to president, he's put the spotlight on every aspect of his behaviour and in all likelihood he is gonna face issues even post presidency. Cause he really does not have a particular clean past or present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭amandstu

batgoat wrote: »
    Not really the worst analogy. By rising to president, he's put the spotlight on every aspect of his behaviour and in all likelihood he is gonna face issues even post presidency. Cause he really does not have a particular clean past or present.

It had previously occurred to me that this was the Peter principle in action.I was shown to be wrong ..he is well able to occupy the position ,if not to execute its responsibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

http://https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/04/30/barr-if-he-refuses-come-impeach-him/?noredirect=on&utm_source=reddit.com&utm_term=.34f1c9387cdd

Strong case to be made at this point for impeaching Barr...if we lived in normal circumstances. Trump's defiance of Congress is truly unprecedented, aided and abetted by McConnell and the rest of his contemptible I'll.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,965 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

http://https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/04/30/barr-if-he-refuses-come-impeach-him/?noredirect=on&utm_source=reddit.com&utm_term=.34f1c9387cdd

Strong case to be made at this point for impeaching Barr...if we lived in normal circumstances. Trump's defiance of Congress is truly unprecedented, aided and abetted by McConnell and the rest of his contemptible I'll.
    It’s not really unprecedented though as Nixon tried and was told to do one. Also, it seems that in the 1970’s the GOP had at least some balls and when it became obvious that it couldn’t go on the GOP leadership went to the White House and told him it was up.

mattser wrote: »

10,000 plus lies more than justifies the title of BS artist.

Cheating on all 3 of his wives justifies calling him immoral.

Can't see your point to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It’s not really unprecedented though as Nixon tried and was told to do one. Also, it seems that in the 1970’s the GOP had at least some balls and when it became obvious that it couldn’t go on the GOP leadership went to the White House and told him it was up.

That's a pretty Stark difference tho, the Republicans, in the Senate especially, are lockstep with Trump. They're going to back him til the bitter end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Must say I am intrigued by how desperate trump is to keep his tax returns secret.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1123369262750547969?s=19

Perfectly timed for Barr's testimony.... if he turned up.

Depends on your leaning, but this is quite damning in my view. The worst interpretation is that Barr lied to Congress.

I love this Twitter account.

Today, of all days, this memory seems quite appropriate...

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/1123380268381896704?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Why has Barr done this for Trump ? Why he is taking orders from the Whitehouse ? He has basically ruined his reputation and I don’t see what he has gained. Muller’s letter has really done Barr in....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Why has Barr done this for Trump ? Why he is taking orders from the Whitehouse ? He has basically ruined his reputation and I don’t see what he has gained. Muller’s letter has really done Barr in....

This always fascinates me why these educated people have a cult like following for Trump and put their own careers on the line...its bizzare.

I suppose they will never get a job in a liberal organization anyway, but there are plenty of right wing lobby groups etc that will lap these guys up after they leave office and give them the big money positions. Who the hell will hire KAC or Sarah Sanders (Fox News obviously...)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    This always fascinates me why these educated people have a cult like following for Trump and put their own careers on the line...its bizzare.

I suppose they will never get a job in a liberal organization anyway, but there are plenty of right wing lobby groups etc that will lap these guys up after they leave office and give them the big money positions. Who the hell will hire KAC or Sarah Sanders (Fox News obviously...)

yep.

And another reason I'd heard was that some people miss the spotlight. They had their time in the sun and want it again. Rudy and Barr would both perhaps want one more spin before heading off.

It would be a prerequisite though when working for Trump that they are prepared to kiss their ethics goodbye.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

ECO_Mental wrote: »

Kellyanne Conway is on CNN more than she is FOX (or at least it seems like it). I wouldn't be at all surprised if she didn't have a job lined up there when she's done in the WH.

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/status/1123561249147707393?s=19

Schiff now saying Barr has to go.

That's a big call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭amandstu

everlast75 wrote: »

That's a big call.

Will he claim that he mean't that he didn't understand their thought process? (was actually just stonewalling)

It is easy to make stuff up when the bar of public opinion is represented by Trump's willing dupes.

amandstu wrote: »
    Will he claim that he mean't that he didn't understand their thought process? (was actually just stonewalling)

It is easy to make stuff up when the bar of public opinion is represented by Trump's willing dupes.

He can do, but a person as smart as he is would know that Mueller will be next to give evidence and any further suggestion that he is lying would be (if we are note already there) the final straw in my view.

6 or 7 Dems are also calling for the IG of the Justice Department to investigate Barr's handling of the report.

Barr is also fighting the House on his attendance because he does not want to be asked questions by their internal lawyers. Apparently it was okay for the Reps to use one on C B Ford, but the Dems can't on the Attorney General. It is not a good look.

At the very least, Barr should recuse himself from all of the pass off cases stemming from the Russia Probe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Barr's hearing about to begin. They've also confirmed Mueller will testify at a date to be determined.

• Advertisement

Lindsey Ghrame is fairly transparent

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lindsey Ghrame is fairly transparent

I had to stop watching for a few minutes. Just tuned back in. He's talking about Clinton now.

Christ, may as well just let a live-feed of Trump's Twitter page chair the committee.

Clinton’s server ! My god... I assume most people see through this but then again a lot of people have been conditioned by Fox News....

I really hope trump ends at 2020... I can’t take anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

everlast75 wrote: »

That's a big call.

Coming from him it holds as much weight as passing some gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

I really hope trump ends at 2020... I can’t take anymore

Unfortunately even if he loses next year I don't seem him going quietly into the night. He could and I would expect him to do so cause a lot of damage after the election if he loses. IMHO the only real question would be how bad would it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

peddlelies wrote: »

That's an opinion that could only carry any weight on The_Donald. What is it in particular that makes you single out Schiff in terms of his ability to do his Job?

That's an opinion that could only carry any weight on The_Donald. What is it in particular that makes you single out Schiff in terms of his ability to do his Job?

Why would I bother respond when you've already got your disingenuous smear in? If you asked me in a decent manner why I believe Schiff has no credibility I would have gladly responded and linked to several false and misleading statements he's made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

peddlelies wrote: »
    Why would I bother respond when you've already got your disingenuous smear in? If you asked me in a decent manner why I believe Schiff has no credibility I would have gladly responded and linked to several false and misleading statements he's made.

You don't have to. It's completely up to you but when you say things like

which clearly has no basis in fact, you can't expect to be taken seriously.

• Advertisement

You don't have to. It's completely up to you but when you say things like

which clearly has no basis in fact, you can't expect to be taken seriously.

Oh please, I'm sure the cohorts of justice on here refer to Devin Nunes in an equally glowing manner.

In my opinion, based on reality, Schiff has knowingly made misleading statements publicly and repeatably to distort and promote a narrative that he knew to be false. He was on the Intel committee, he had access to information others didn't have.

He's repeatably said there is "direct" evidence of collusion, evidence that is beyond circumstantial and "ample Evidence" of a conspiracy - he has appeared on cable and network TV hundreds of times promoting those same claims over a 2 year period. He also claimed Don JR committed perjury.

Here's a picture just in case you forgot what he looks like.

DuPEpUI.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement