Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1126294333429354498?s=20

Absolutely nothing to see here.

Just the current POTUS laughing at a suggestion that immigrants should be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

HC was right. Those that cheered that suggestion can be classed as nothing other than deplorables.

Watching, and hearing, them all proudly saying that the Pan Handle is the only place one would get away with saying that. It shouldn't be a badge of honour.

And let me guess. A large portion of that crowd probably count themselves as god fearing folk, living in the way of Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭amandstu

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1126294333429354498?s=20

Absolutely nothing to see here.

Just the current POTUS laughing at a suggestion that immigrants should be shot.

Fishing for that kind of a suggestion?(He knows his audience;his audience knows him)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

Leroy42 wrote: »
    HC was right. Those that cheered that suggestion can be classed as nothing other than deplorables.

Watching, and hearing, them all proudly saying that the Pan Handle is the only place one would get away with saying that. It shouldn't be a badge of honour.

And let me guess. A large portion of that crowd probably count themselves as god fearing folk, living in the way of Jesus.

What is truly frightening considering the US is the most powerful nation on earth is this is the mind set of about 30% of Americans. Roughly one third of them. It is not like this is some small minority or crazy fringe group. This is who a large sub section of Americans are. They are filled with so much hate against various groups including immigrants and in love with guns killing and violence and it would seem authoritarian style leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

eire4 wrote: »
    What is truly frightening considering the US is the most powerful nation on earth is this is the mind set of about 30% of Americans. Roughly one third of them. It is not like this is some small minority or crazy fringe group. This is who a large sub section of Americans are. They are filled with so much hate against various groups including immigrants and in love with guns killing and violence and it would seem authoritarian style leadership.

Because they have been fed this narrative by the Alex Jones's, Rush Limbaugh's and of course Trump himself for years, so this is their World view now, the kids will follow the same sectarian lines like up North. This is why Jones and his ilk should be kicked of media sites, blatant dangerous lies and falsehoods to sell products and their fear mongering for fame and profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Because they have been fed this narrative by the Alex Jones's, Rush Limbaugh's and of course Trump himself for years, so this is their World view now, the kids will follow the same sectarian lines like up North. This is why Jones and his ilk should be kicked of media sites, blatant dangerous lies and falsehoods to sell products and their fear mongering for fame and profit.

Your very right about the damage caused by the outright propaganda outlets that you mention as well as Fox. The US used to have a law called the fairness doctrine that basically made it the law that media outlets had to devote a certain amount of time to topics of serious public interest andpresent them in a fair way and offer opposing views so that they could get a license. In I believe 1987 under mostly Reagan appointed commissioners the FCC voted to over turn the fairness doctrine and well as you well now it has gone downhill since then to say the least.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

eire4 wrote: »
    Your very right about the damage caused by the outright propaganda outlets that you mention as well as Fox. The US used to have a law called the fairness doctrine that basically made it the law that media outlets had to devote a certain amount of time to topics of serious public interest and present them in a fair way and offer opposing views so that they could get a license. In I believe 1987 under mostly Reagan appointed commissioners the FCC voted to over turn the fairness doctrine and well as you well now it has gone downhill since then to say the least.

Absolutely - That decision along with Citizens United has utterly destroyed Public discourse in the US.

It has become so irredeemably polarised and vitriolic that it's beyond disturbing to think where the US might be in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,973 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean I’m sure I’m not the only person who watches American TV and watches American sports and I enjoy them a lot (time difference aside) but outside of those things the political and social parts of America are if not completely broken, are more broken then functioning.

Americans claim to live in the greatest country in the world and it may have some things other countries don’t, but just listening to some of the the things said with what seems like a straight face by some Americans you’d wonder how great it is.

My point is trump is a manifestation of the problems America has. You read back about the reverence the office of the presidency was held in in the past and you look now at the current president and you’d have to ask yourself how he is upholding that reverence.

I mean I’m sure I’m not the only person who watches American TV and watches American sports and I enjoy them a lot (time difference aside) but outside of those things the political and social parts of America are if not completely broken, are more broken then functioning.

Americans claim to live in the greatest country in the world and it may have some things other countries don’t, but just listening to some of the the things said with what seems like a straight face by some Americans you’d wonder how great it is.

My point is trump is a manifestation of the problems America has. You read back about the reverence the office of the presidency was held in in the past and you look now at the current president and you’d have to ask yourself how he is upholding that reverence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Itssoeasy wrote:

Itssoeasy wrote:

I'm not being funny but I think most people realised this well before Trump.

America is not great and never has been. Not caring for it's sick and elderly is just one of the more obvious signs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

America is not great and never has been. Not caring for it's sick and elderly is just one of the more obvious signs.

I think the thing about the US is that it's a great place to be successful in , but it's an awful place to fail in or to be honest even to be kind of average in.

I think one of the fundamental issues with politics in the US is money.

You need to start out with money to run.

You need to raise money throughout your political career.

Money = political power.

It is ripe for exploitation by lobbyists.

You see all of the ads - all of them asking for money.

If FF or anyone else rang me, emailed me or called me looking for money I'd tell them to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Quin_Dub wrote: »

I think the thing about the US is that it's a great place to be successful in , but it's an awful place to fail in or to be honest even to be kind of average in.
    I'd further refine it that it is a great place to be if you're wealthy and Caucasian. If you're one of the 'huddled masses' who comprise the majority (poor-white, black, brown, female, poor, sick, infirm) you're living in what has become a ghetto, policed by what has become a web of para-military forces and judged by a prosecutorial service and associated Courts who will fcuk you up if you fall foul of that system.

Land of the Free, and Home of the Brave?

Not by a long way...

And, this didn't start with Trump. It's been getting worse every decade since the 1960s, during which decade, Civil Rights legislation took a big leap forward, but the practicalities on the ground have been rowing back on those improvements every decade since.

So Trulp zjr has been subpoenaed by the Congress. Remember that this is an equal strand of the executive.

Donny is a 'simple' citizen. He has no role in the POTUS, and should be afforded no special treatment.

He should, as a citizen, look to enable the US to get to whatever truth is out there.

But watch as Trump looks to protect his son. And watch as his supporters gleefully applaud as they witness the very definition of the Swamo in action.

Was Trump and his election in 2016 a reaction to Obama getting elected and being kind of a realisation of what Martin Luther king and others in the civil rights movement wanted ? Was that what Dr king meant when he said he'd seen the promise land maybe ? An African American getting elected to the highest office in the land ?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

I think one of the fundamental issues with politics in the US is money.

You need to start out with money to run.

You need to raise money throughout your political career.

Money = political power.

It is ripe for exploitation by lobbyists.

You see all of the ads - all of them asking for money.

If FF or anyone else rang me, emailed me or called me looking for money I'd tell them to **** off.

I think many Americans used to say F*** off if any political party called them for donations, until they started to demonize the other side. Now Republicans gladly donate to “Own the Libs” and Democrats donate to get rid of Trump. It’s the perfect formula.

Couple of theories on the (latest) weirdness in the US.

1) Nunes has joined Schiff in requesting the full and unredacted Mueller report. Schiff wants it for obvious reasons but I couldn't figure out why Nunes would want it. The only explanation I could think of is that he believes it will disclose the Deep State efforts and tactics to bury Trump. He has however requested information like that before only for it to blow up in his face. I would have thought that someone from Trump's team would have told him that its better left alone. We will see

2) The Senate Intelligence committee subpoena to Donny Jnr. The only reason I can see for this is that they want him to appear before a more friendly committee so that he can then refuse to attend the House committee on the grounds that he has already gone above and beyond. However, that doesn't fit exactly with the narrative put out by Trump and his allies, which criticises the issuance of the subpoena. Other than that, the only theory is that there is a rift developing between Republicans not up for re-election and Trump.

Weird stuff indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Couple of theories on the (latest) weirdness in the US.

1) Nunes has joined Schiff in requesting the full and unredacted Mueller report. Schiff wants it for obvious reasons but I couldn't figure out why Nunes would want it. The only explanation I could think of is that he believes it will disclose the Deep State efforts and tactics to bury Trump. He has however requested information like that before only for it to blow up in his face. I would have thought that someone from Trump's team would have told him that its better left alone. We will see

That would mean he actually believes the bull**** he's been peddling.

Given the calibre of buffoonery and ignorance regularly on display by Republican members of Congress, that would make the Healy-Raes look like Gandalf, I suppose it's possible that Nunes actually believes QAnon-adjacent insanity, but I tend to invert Hanlon's razor when it comes to more senior and higher profile politicians and assume they have some kind of plan.

McConnel, for example, is obviously highly competent and not at all a moron. If he wasn't so utterly amoral he might well do a lot of good for his state and the country at large.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I'd further refine it that it is a great place to be if you're wealthy and Caucasian. If you're one of the 'huddled masses' who comprise the majority (poor-white, black, brown, female, poor, sick, infirm) you're living in what has become a ghetto, policed by what has become a web of para-military forces and judged by a prosecutorial service and associated Courts who will fcuk you up if you fall foul of that system.

Land of the Free, and Home of the Brave?

Not by a long way...

And, this didn't start with Trump. It's been getting worse every decade since the 1960s, during which decade, Civil Rights legislation took a big leap forward, but the practicalities on the ground have been rowing back on those improvements every decade since.

Asians and West Africans are the 2 groups that are demographically over represented in high paying jobs, often massively so.

Minority unemployment is at an all time low and thanks to the crackdown on illegal migration their wages are enjoying strong growth for the first time in decades.

That may all be true, but is only part of the story. Whilst their wages may be going up, they are from a very low base. The gap between rich an poor is massive and the latest round of tax cuts do nothing to help those at the bottom. In fact Trump appears to be targeting those areas of social help to pay for his failing tax cut plan

Lack of access to healthcare, infrastructure is a mess. There is a serious issue with access to education and that is even before we get into the third level. There is a huge issue with regards to prison rates, particularly in terms of those of African-American descent.

They have a clearly politically based court system, a system Trump is actively trying to stack to his liking. Like education, their legal system is heavily influenced by money.

They have police forces which act closer to an army at times, complete with armoured vehicles and military grade weapons.

Whilst it would appear that diversity has taken a step forward in the last number of years, Trump is actively playing to the type of person totally against diversity, very much giving credence to a select type of people.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    That would mean he actually believes the bull**** he's been peddling.

As much as one can judge another based on how they look or act, there is an intensity in his look. Its like he's dialled all the way up to 10 - all day, every day. Even when he smiles its..... odd.

He is either so fired up about the deep state narrative because he believes it (and there are plenty who do), or he is deeply deeply compromised and is desperate for there to be something there to distract.

That's my tuppence worth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

As much as one can judge another based on how they look or act, there is an intensity in his look. Its like he's dialled all the way up to 10 - all day, every day. Even when he smiles its..... odd.

He is either so fired up about the deep state narrative because he believes it (and there are plenty who do), or he is deeply deeply compromised and is desperate for there to be something there to distract.

That's my tuppence worth anyway.

Or he is so out of it on whatever he is addicted to that he can't act any other way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

So, the trade war just escalated. Tariffs up to 25%, up from 10%. The Chinese are about to retaliate.
    Trump's spin is "well, we'll make a lot of money in tariffs".
    Just goes to show that all he knows is bully-boy tactics, screwing his trade partners and being completely unpredictable and unreliable.
    Without daddies money he would have ended up a bum.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/10/business/china-us-tariffs-trade/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Liberals calling for families not to be separated really need to pay attention to what the reality of the situation is.

3,500 fraudulent families identified at the border since October alone.

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1126892695807516672

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

So, the trade war just escalated. Tariffs up to 25%, up from 10%. The Chinese are about to retaliate.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/10/business/china-us-tariffs-trade/index.html
    From that article:
    CNN wrote:
    ... said Jacob Parker, vice president of the US-China Business Council, a trade group that represents American companies' interests in China.

"It will decrease the competitiveness of American companies, reduce the efficiency of their global supply chains, and reverberate through the US economy. Pure and simple, this is a tax on the American consumer," he added.

Consumers are also feeling some pain: The American Apparel and Footwear Association estimates that a 25% tariff on apparel imports will increase costs for a family of four by $500 a year.
    Good man Trump. So much winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I am the only one who can't see all the negatives around these tariffs. From that article china has tariffs on nearly all imports from the US, what are they actually going to retaliate with? Can't see why trump would back down considering they have feck all left to lose. I know the price rises but inflation has been below expections anyway. Also a win for the environment slowing down the world economy.So is the US not in a much better position to ride this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Liberals calling for families not to be separated really need to pay attention to what the reality of the situation is.

I have a major difficulty in taking 'information' presented by either the White House or the Border Patrol in relation to immigration, given the huge vested interest each have demonstrated in making crises out of hiccups.

When they are both cited as sources for information that has no independent validating source, my BS radar goes into overdrive.

I'm not saying they're wrong, but I am absolutely saying that "unless I put my fingers in the wounds", I won't believe. And that's not down to me; that's entirely down to the massive propagandising which has demeaned so-called 'truth' in respect of Border Patrol statistics and has been led by the Trump White House.

So, if you want my attention/interest, put the 'finding' in context, explain how the abuse/illegality is defined and explain how the numbers compare to a variety of periods in the past. So, if 3,000 'events' occurred in a current period, compared to 14 in a past period, I'll sit up and take notice. However, if the 3,000 this time compares to 3,000 the last time, then 'Meh!'. Also, if the "event" is being measured now for the first time, its of only academic interest- it means little/nothing on its own as no-one can tell me whether it is a natural 'background' level of activity or is something that is of crucial importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I am the only one who can't see all the negatives around these tariffs. From that article china has tariffs on nearly all imports from the US, what are they actually going to retaliate with? Can't see why trump would back down considering they have feck all left to lose. I know the price rises but inflation has been below expections anyway. Also a win for the environment slowing down the world economy.So is the US not in a much better position to ride this out?
    Because a lot of the manufacturing in the states is built on assembly of parts, not the production of these parts (the essential plants aren't there in the states anymore).
    So where do these parts come from? China!
    So it's actually pushing up the cost of raw materials for the majority of American manufacturers up and thus making them more uncompetitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Do you believe that justifies caging children and separating real families?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

That sounds like a reasonable rationalization to separate them after it is found out the kids are not theirs.

That does not sound like a reasonable rationalization to separate ALL kids from their parents.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement