Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

MrFresh wrote: »
    Do you believe that justifies caging children and separating real families?

I just read "Liberals" and knew the rest of the post contained nothing of value. It's on my list of words never to read past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I just read "Liberals" and knew the rest of the post contained nothing of value. It's on my list of words never to read past.

Not having a pop at you, but I need to say that your characterization of the use of the term 'liberal' is simply wrong.

The term Liberal exists as the antonym of the term Conservative, and has done since the furtherance of 1650- 1800's political discourse between the Whigs and Tories in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

How have we got to the point where the use of either term serves to shut conversation down?

What hope can we have for the future - and how terribly awful is our political discourse today- if even the use of the term "Liberal" (and I assume similar use of the term "Conservative" would have a similar effect) means that we shut our ears to the words that are coming next!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Not having a pop at you, but I need to say that your characterization of the use of the term 'liberal' is simply wrong.

I get where he is coming from, there is no liberal or conservative truth, there is just the truth, so when I see "liberal" online, I generally see someone just trying not to say "libtard", it is like a racist saying black person instead of the other word they want to say. If someone says "Joe Blogs, a liberal, believes xyx" or "he has a liberal view" it is fine, but where it says "liberals won't be happy until we are all speaking Mexican" or any such way, you know they are using it as a slander or making them out to be "the other" or the enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Liberals calling for families not to be separated really need to pay attention to what the reality of the situation is.

3,500 fraudulent families identified at the border since October alone.

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1126892695807516672

I wondered if among the 3,500 fraudulent family claims referred to by the BP person, there may be cases of several family members coming forward to reclaim the freedom of the one individual child-member of the same family and the BP choosing to write up each claim as being made against individual and different children thus coincidentally upping the number of alleged fraudulent family cases as reported by the BP. Paperwork sometimes goes wrong in totting up figures, especially when the children are distributed across country far from the border and not readily available to identify [as it were] errors being made by overworked BP agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Saw this article in the british Independent.
    This guy stood up a website creating outrageous fake news stories just for a laugh.
    Trump supporters duly arrived in droves, seemingly believing every bit of it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/fake-news-donald-trump-supporters-gullible-believe-anything-barack-obama-paedophile-hillary-clinton-a7623441.html

• Advertisement

BluePlanet wrote: »
    This guy stood up a website creating outrageous fake news stories just for a laugh.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/fake-news-donald-trump-supporters-gullible-believe-anything-barack-obama-paedophile-hillary-clinton-a7623441.html

Just proves that instead of seeking out facts and forming an opinion, Trump supporters have bought into an ideology and seek out, well, we can't call it facts, so anything, opinion pieces, lies, to support their ideology.
    It has turned into demagoguery. A cult, if you will.
    And when you belong to a cult, anyone who doesn't fall into line, will be attacked or cast out if they don't get with the program. It is a form of brainwashing. You get with the program, or you get the fcuk out.
    That's how extremism works.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Cognitive bias in its truest form

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

Liberals calling for families not to be separated really need to pay attention to what the reality of the situation is.

3,500 fraudulent families identified at the border since October alone.

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1126892695807516672

Aside from the fact that the source here has little to no creditability when it comes to telling the truth or the fact that you start with the word Liberals quite clearly meant in a negative way this is just very sad to see such disgusting behaviour being encouraged.

Sure yes go ahead and stick kids in cages and separate families because maybe some of them are fake. No thanks.

On the off-chance anyone is interested, I saw Easons in Dublin is selling paperback copies of the redacted Mueller report. Get one before Don comes visiting his golf course here, cos it might be embarrassing to him seeing as he's tried to get the report away from public eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I thought it was foc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1127280257965412352

Just a non-stop fountain of bullsh1t and lies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

aloyisious wrote: »
    On the off-chance anyone is interested, I saw Easons in Dublin is selling paperback copies of the redacted Mueller report. Get one before Don comes visiting his golf course here, cos it might be embarrassing to him seeing as he's tried to get the report away from public eyes.

You can download it for free. I did about an hour after it was released. Skip part one.. Part 2 is very, very interesting.

Saying that.. Part one has many redacted parts. I remember one whole page being blacked out other than the words "Donald Trump Jnr".

Ongoing investigations!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Google Jacob Wohl. Didn't make the news here but FFS this guy should be in jail!!

Jack Burkman & Laura Lomer are his sidekicks.

Fake allegations and hilarious "press conferences" galore!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1127342552745762816?s=19

So given the conflict as to what D McGhan said and what Trump says happened on such a critical issue, the *only* way to resolve it is for McGhan to appear before the House.

If Trump has the testicular fortitude, he should do the same.

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1127342552745762816?s=19

So given the conflict as to what D McGhan said and what Trump says happened on such a critical issue, the *only* way to resolve it is for McGhan to appear before the House.

If Trump has the testicular fortitude, he should do the same.

Cleverly worded, in that he sends others to do the firing, plausible deniability which he uses [probably with a smirk] when he wants to dodge blame, knowing it makes people apoplectic into the bargain.

It does appear that he has given McGahn a clearance to ignore the reported White House "instruction" not to appear and testify to the committee [in a putting the record straight "did you hear the president" way] single question and answer session with his NON-DENIAL tweet of involvement in a firing of Mueller.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,545 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In other news, Trump's econ advisor Larry "I'm usually wrong" Kudlow is saying both sides will be impacted by the hike in tariffs.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/12/politics/trump-larry-kudlow-president-xi-jinping/index.html

I take this as good news on a couple of levels (sarcasm alert here):
    1. I believe Kudlow's record is, he's usually wrong. So, he's likely wrong again and maybe there won't be impact on both sides.
    2. Kudlow has kind of made Trump look bad here - remember Trump said the tariffs are bringing money into the US economy :rolleyes:. Those that make Trump look bad, usually are jettisoned soon after. I can only hope this causes Trump to dump Kudlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Talking to a Sanders campaigner last night, he was knocking Trump for his trade stance yet admitted Sanders would take the exact same approach.

Danzy wrote: »
    Talking to a Sanders campaigner last night, he was knocking Trump for his trade stance yet admitted Sanders would take the exact same approach.

Anecdotal evidence with no citation is nothing more than idle gossip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

duploelabs wrote: »
    "I was in a hipster coffee shop yesterday and overheard a two liberals discussing how they secretly love Trump but feel like they can't show that love out of fear of being barred by the owners."

...or it could be just made up nonsense by someone who likes to spread false information.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,573 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

...or it could be just made up nonsense by someone who likes to spread false information.

Jocob whol used to post some scutter on dons twitter lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

There's a bunch of citations here. Bernie opposed to NAFTA, TPP and a whole bunch of other free trade agreements. There's no doubt that he is as protectionist as Trump is.

Blowfish wrote: »
    There's a bunch of citations here. Bernie opposed to NAFTA, TPP and a whole bunch of other free trade agreements. There's no doubt that he is as protectionist as Trump is.
    There's details of No free trade agreement on singapore, Chile, and countries that manipulate currency. Nothing like the idiotic firestorm that's hitting the American consumer in the pocket like Trump is doing.

There's details of No free trade agreement on singapore, Chile, and countries that manipulate currency. Nothing like the idiotic firestorm that's hitting the American consumer in the pocket like Trump is doing.

The American consumer is having the best run in at least 15 years, in some ways like inflation, wage growth and how the growth is spread out the best in 30+.

If the free market is your be all then by all means be disparaging of Trump's position on Trade but if you are anyway left, even mild centre left, then his trade position is one thing you'll like.

Leave the echo chamber that is thread, meet and talk with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Blowfish wrote:
    . Bernie opposed to NAFTA, TPP and a whole bunch of other free trade agreements. There's no doubt that he is as protectionist as Trump is.

Sanders is for the reduction of wealth inequality and protecting workers rights, you ll find trump is more or less opposite to this

Danzy wrote: »
    The American consumer is having the best run in at least 15 years, in some ways like inflation, wage growth and how the growth is spread out the best in 30+.

If the free market is your be all then by all means be disparaging of Trump's position on Trade but if you are anyway left, even mild centre left, then his trade position is one thing you'll like.
    How do you square the circle of the tariffs on imported raw materials that push up the price for American manufacturers and thus making them more uncompetitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Sanders is for the reduction of wealth inequality and protecting workers rights, you ll find trump is more or less opposite to this
    Their goals may be completely different, but their methods are actually pretty similar when it comes to trade.

How do you square the circle of the tariffs on imported raw materials that push up the price for American manufacturers and thus making them more uncompetitive?

I found the counter argument usually is "well, we'll just manufacture everything ourselves and it will be Made With Pride in the USA". Along with the argument "we're paying over the odds and getting robbed by the Chinese".
    You can't argue with this level of ignorance and stupidity.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Their goals may be completely different, but their methods are actually pretty similar when it comes to trade.

Neither are similar, Trump's tariffs harm domestic production by imposing blanket tariffs on national imports, Bernie's are selected by blocking trade with foreign industries that are in direct competition with domestic production

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1127905306468470784

Like this tweet pointing out the hypocrisy of Trump.

Those damn Chinese ruining American competitiveness...except when they're making my cheap tat

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement