Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

dinorebel wrote: »
    Bit of a stretch more of a Theocracy.

Doesn't negate what I say. The church may control the balance of power but the country still functions with democratic principles, and doesn't have the kind of authoritarian leader easily vilified or used to stoke dreams of "freedom".

Iran, insofar as I understand it, is doing ok for itself. And Trump has alienated all the allies and mechanisms he might otherwise have used to manufacture a diplomatic turn against the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Iran is the enemy of his Saudi friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

pixelburp wrote: »
    Thing is, and I do not speak as an expert on the Middle East, Iran is not some wobbly or unstable tinpot country needing a push. They're a canny, mature democracy with a solid army and infrastructure, and I believe a "rugged" geography that'd make the logistics of an invasion difficult.

So to me, Iran, if they play things right diplomatically can come out of this the rational peacemaker.

Plus , this scenario is presumably where Trump's chickens come home to roost: the antagonism and ostracizing of former allies surely ensures the EU et al won't be running to support the admin. in this kerfuffle.

A war with Iran would be a disaster. Outside fact its huge (4 times bigger than Iraq or bigger than Israel/Jordan/Syria/Kuwait/Iraq/Lebanon combined) and terrain mountainous in vast areas of the country they would be fighting a highly advanced military unit unlike Afghanistan where they are still struggling against mountain rebels 15+ years later.

Pissing off Russia and China and sending world oil prices into a spiral would be minor inconveniences by comparison.

But remember Hillary was the war monger according to Trump fans..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

A believe that Trump is actually anti-war, or at least it is not something he wants. He likes to be bombastic, to be a bully and to show off on Twitter but in all his dealings, be it Russian, China or NK, he has shown an unwillingness to follow through (thankfully).

The real problem is that there are plenty of people around him that are very much in favour of war, Bolton being top of the list, but fundamentalists like Pence see a certain religious obligation to deal with the forces against Christianity.

But will Trump's lack of desire be able to override these driving him, particularly since it would appear from history that war is a very effective vote winner (at least initially)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭amandstu

Does Trump deserve the characterization of "war monger"?

I have often thought that war mongers deserved their own special place in Dante's hell.

The use of the threat of war when the outcome is uncertain (or the fight unavoidable) should unite us all in contempt .

Anyone seen this Facebook thread btw?

https://twitter.com/tburages

How did they get the pictures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

My worry currently is Israel or SA engineering a Gulf of Tonkin incident to suck the US into a conflict. Bolton is one of the most dangerous men on the planet imo. Nakedly looking to agitate Iran into a confrontation, happily assisted by Netanyahu .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

amandstu wrote: »
    Does Trump deserve the characterization of "war monger"?

I have often thought that war mongers deserved their own special place in Dante's hell.

The use of the threat of war when the outcome is uncertain (or the fight unavoidable) should unite us all in contempt .

Anyone seen this Facebook thread btw?

https://twitter.com/tburages

How did they get the pictures?

Great thread that. The horrors contained in the Mueller report are hiding in plain sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Great thread that. The horrors contained in the Mueller report are hiding in plain sight.

Is what she tweeting part of the redacted report?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,976 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yes I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Not all of them are from the redacted part, that Sater quite about 'our boy' has been doing the rounds for ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1130578985144991744?s=19

The first step towards exposing all of his finances....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Leroy42 wrote: »
    A believe that Trump is actually anti-war, or at least it is not something he wants. He likes to be bombastic, to be a bully and to show off on Twitter but in all his dealings, be it Russian, China or NK, he has shown an unwillingness to follow through (thankfully).

The real problem is that there are plenty of people around him that are very much in favour of war, Bolton being top of the list, but fundamentalists like Pence see a certain religious obligation to deal with the forces against Christianity.

But will Trump's lack of desire be able to override these driving him, particularly since it would appear from history that war is a very effective vote winner (at least initially)?

I think with Trump when it comes to war, its basically who has his ear at the time. So at times eh does sound bombastic which would be the Graham influence and all the other "never trump" neocons and at other times he does tease restraint,,,withdrawing from Syria and Afghanistan,,,this would be the Rand Paul influence who is an isolationist.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,976 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The house intelligence committee have released a transcript from Michael cohen's closed door testimony earlier this year in which he says that Trump lawyer Jay sekulow told him to give false testimony to the committee in relation to the Trump tower Moscow project. Also, Trump is blocking the former White House counsel from testifying before congress. It does seem that the US congress as a whole feel very strongly about their power to subpoena witnesses so not sure how that will go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I think with Trump when it comes to war, its basically who has his ear at the time. So at times eh does sound bombastic which would be the Graham influence and all the other "never trump" neocons and at other times he does tease restraint,,,withdrawing from Syria and Afghanistan,,,this would be the Rand Paul influence who is an isolationist.

He already threatened Iran during 16 campaign and said he would nuke North Korea on twitter. I don't buy he needs Bolton or anyone else in his ear. After all his entire campaign was advocating violence upon his fellow Americans should they dare protest against him... Is it that much of a stretch to believe he could bomb Iran or Venezuela and not think twice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

rossie1977 wrote: »
    He already threatened Iran during 16 campaign and said he would nuke North Korea on twitter. I don't buy he needs Bolton or anyone else in his ear. After all his entire campaign was advocating violence upon his fellow Americans should they dare protest against him... Is it that much of a stretch to believe he could bomb Iran or Venezuela and not think twice

I get that for sure, but like Trump with anything he has no ideology whatsoever. I think he agrees with the likes of Paul and the other isolationists about how flawed US exceptionalism is, but he is also such a child he loves the idea of been dominant with such a powerful military force.

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1130578985144991744?s=19

The first step towards exposing all of his finances....

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1130594889538953225?s=19

Fantastic stuff. Hopefully Deutsche case will be resolved soon.

On the other note about McGhan, i believe the Dems are being very cautious about impeachmeny, but now, they have no option. They have to begin, at thr very least with their enquiries.

It will allow the public testimony more readily and allow them greater access to documentation.

It's funny - there used to be a lot of trump supporters on here almost daring the Dems top impeach 45, i would imagine because they thought it would bolster his chance of re-election. Not so much of that now...

everlast75 wrote: »

It's funny - there used to be a lot of trump supporters on here almost daring the Dems top impeach 45, i would imagine because they thought it would bolster his chance of re-election. Not so much of that now...

The majority have seemed to have gone to ground since the NYT business losses story came out a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

duploelabs wrote: »
    The majority have seemed to have gone to ground since the NYT business losses story came out a couple of weeks ago

I nearly miss 2scopes political party broadcasts. Were always good for a laugh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

TRS30 wrote: »
    I nearly miss 2scopes political party broadcasts. Were always good for a laugh!

Don't get personal please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Don't get personal please.

Apologies. A poor attempt of light heart humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,545 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's difficult for me to keep up with all the litigations currently involving POTUS45. One of them is a subpoena by the House Oversight committee for Trump's records at an accounting firm, Mazars. Trump of course refused, a judge has rule in favor of the Overight committee and Trump's team is appealing in the DC Court of Appeals.

One of the judges that might rule on the appeal.... Merrick Garland. Cool, eh? Might've been on the SCOTUS instead. Oh well.

Igotadose wrote: »
    It's difficult for me to keep up with all the litigations currently involving POTUS45. One of them is a subpoena by the House Oversight committee for Trump's records at an accounting firm, Mazars. Trump of course refused, a judge has rule in favor of the Overight committee and Trump's team is appealing in the DC Court of Appeals.

One of the judges that might rule on the appeal.... Merrick Garland. Cool, eh? Might've been on the SCOTUS instead. Oh well.

Plus it is expected that today, a law will come into effect which will enable Trump's NYC taxes to be sent over to 3 congressional committees.

With news breaking overnight of Deutsche bank failing to investigate SARs (suspicious activity reports involving Russia and Kushner), the plot thickens.

SNIP. This isn't remotely constructive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

I presume all Trump's got is to play for time. Cajole and bully anyone involved with him into silence or lying, refusing to cooperate in any way, not hand over documents and, if questioned, just keep repeating "I have no memory of this".
    This will, of course, be accompanied by an endless stream of tweets that he is being victimised and bullied and probably calling out to his supporters, but will they care?
    They love him because he's a bit of entertainment and is getting at "them libtards", but once the show is over they'll move on.
    And in the end plead old age and/or infirmity to avoid a custodial sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Of all the many egregious falsehoods that helped propel Trump into the Presidency was the idea that he would be a friend of peace. Meanwhile:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2018/11/13/the-u-s-never-dropped-as-many-bombs-on-afghanistan-as-it-did-in-2018-infographic/#44fb07602fae

and beyond massively expanding military actions oversees he is now pardoning war criminals. Murderers whose own fellow officers turned them in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/trumps-war-crime-pardons-are-an-insult-to-millions-of-service-members/2019/05/20/b0bdb93e-7b1f-11e9-a5b3-34f3edf1351e_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cf588d97a64c

I presume all Trump's got is to play for time. Cajole and bully anyone involved with him into silence or lying, refusing to cooperate in any way, not hand over documents and, if questioned, just keep repeating "I have no memory of this".
    This will, of course, be accompanied by an endless stream of tweets that he is being victimised and bullied and probably calling out to his supporters, but will they care?
    They love him because he's a bit of entertainment and is getting at "them libtards", but once the show is over they'll move on.
    And in the end plead old age and/or infirmity to avoid a custodial sentence.

It is his only play, but every act is another to add to the list of obstruction charges.

He is hemorrhaging votes in the rust belt, and losing in polls (for what they are worth) against any Dem candidate.

He will gamble on winning impeachment and claim victory. How much irreparable damage he will sustain in the interim is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So the US has suspended its suspension of Huawei products only a few says after calling it due to a national emergency.

Jebus, what an utter joke shop Trump is running.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/sarahburris/status/1130942339466158081

These guys are clearly getting tired of winning

But then again they did vote in a President because of his "business skills", who appears to have little to no understanding of what tariffs are, how they work, and what damage they are doing to the US

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Its amazing how many litagations this president is involved in, I read somewhere that the legal costs of the Trump campaign is $17m, while at this same stage for the Obama campaign it was around $2m.

His default is to use the courts to deflect and waste time, he has done it all his life.

I watched a 30for30 ESPN episode last night on the alternative NFL that was set up in the 80s, Trump got involved as the owner of the New York/New Jersey franchise. The league was ticking along nicely and growing slowly but surely as they played in the Spring (NFL is Autumn/Winter). However, nearly as soon as Trump got involved he was pushing to go head to head and move the league to the Autumn also, which no one else wanted. However, because of his high profile and name he got his way and they moved the league. He instantly sued the NFL because he claimed it had a monopoly for 1,4 billion. It was obvious this was his plan all along sue sue sue. The case went to trial and the jury actually found in his favour, however, they didnt agree with the amount he sued for so they awarded him $3. No need to say he was furious! ha ha. The 30/30 was made in more recent times and he sat down for an interview, the interviewer showed him the cheque from the NFL for the $3, he was not impressed, quite funny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ben Carson thinks he's being asked about cookies during a congressional hearing

This is a Brain Surgeon that has been in charge of US Public housing policy for 2 years and he doesn't know the basic terminology for his area of responsibility..
    WASHINGTON — An REO, or “real estate owned,” refers to a kind of property owned by a lender, like a bank, after a foreclosure. An Oreo is a kind of delicious sandwich cookie.

In a House Financial Services Committee hearing on Tuesday morning, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson mixed the two terms up.

Rep. Katie Porter, D-Calif., was attempting to ask Secretary Carson about disparities in REO rates. According to Porter, Federal Housing Administration loans have far more properties that become real estate owned, than other loans from Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac.

“I would also like to ask you to get back to me, if you don’t mind, to explain the disparity in REO rates. Do you know what an REO is?” asked the congresswoman.

“An Oreo…” replied Carson.

“R, no not an Oreo. An R-E-O.” shot back Porter.

“Real estate?” asked Carson.

“What’s the O stand for?” said Porter.

“E-organization?” asked Carson.

Incompetent really doesn't begin to cover it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement