Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,545 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Rigolo, do you honestly have no issue with a POTUS being exempt from the laws of the US?
    I imagine he would if it were President Clinton. Don't expect a response though.

In effect, the POTUS has been placed above an beyond the law

And still, despite The Mueller Report and now Mueller himself, along with all the security services stating that Russia interfered with American democracy, Trump has done nothing to protect the county. IT is also a fact that he has still to address the quite shameful episode where he sided with Putin over his own agencies. He has not apologised, he has not demanded answers from Putin, he has not demanded.

He clearly cares only for himself and that he is seen as winning rather than looking after the US. A CiC that has let a foreign country carry out a direct attack on the US and done sweet FA about it.

Just another week in Trumpworld, thanks to the massive disinformation machine with useful idiots regurgitating their spew. This is why I'm personally starting to favor impeachment now, even if it gets to trial in the Senate and nothing happens. Testimony from Trump will crush his chances even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

eagle eye wrote: »
    All these demands for impeachment are ridiculous. It's like you all live in the black and white world of Twitter where everything has to be done and done now.
    People on here calling him the most corrupt President in history and the worst president too. Well I'll agree that he is the worst since social media became the voice of the stupid which is not long ago. He is the most corrupt in that timespan too but the only other president was Obama.
    A lot of you need to get a grip, calm down and realise that you can't believe everything on Twitter or other social media sites. You need to have patience, something that seems to have gone missing in the social media age.
    I want to see a Democrat in office in 2020, I'm no fan of Trump but all the hate here is ludicrous.
    I hear there will be protests when he visits Ireland, I just don't get it, what has he done to us?

You don't think possible obstruction of justice should be investigated?

And even on your selected time scale, he comes last, which is never a good look. Why should he be simply allowed away with it?

In terms of what he has done to us, he is threatening a trade way with the EU, which will impact us. He has brought in new laws around foreign profits, which will effect us. He denies global warming, which effects us. HE has done nothing to help move the NI process forward, which effects us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Stable Genius (his words, not mine) has now deleted that tweet...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I hear there will be protests when he visits Ireland, I just don't get it, what has he done to us?

While I do mostly agree with your post, one of the major problems with Trump's Presidency in terms of how it affects other countries is how it has damaged political discourse in a way that may never be fixed, and has done so on a global scale. The issue isn't just Trump's dog-whistling racism, his corruption, his tax breaks for the rich, his rolling back of social protections for people etc... It's that it is working. The political system is such that he can very well get away with it all legally. And doing so is enabling other politicians to follow suit; to not even try to maintain a facade of fairness or unity, but rather to divide and fracture. Look at Farage. Look at Peter Casey. Look at Boris Johnson. Dog whistles become louder, political discourse turns into shouting matches, transparency and accountibility turn into unchallenged lies and ultimately it's the poor and minorities who suffer because of it.

Protests are about showing that whether their actions are legal or not, it's not acceptable and there will be a large group who do not find it acceptable and will push back against it. And I think that's fair. Admittedly, even if I had the day off work and lived near Doonbeg I probably still wouldn't bother protesting him here. My hatred for Trump pretty much maxes out at just b*tching about him here and the odd conversation with friends. But his actions and carry on can and will have an effect on political discourse in other countries, including our own I fear. That's something to be concerned about imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

All these demands for impeachment are ridiculous. It's like you all live in the black and white world of Twitter where everything has to be done and done now.
    People on here calling him the most corrupt President in history and the worst president too. Well I'll agree that he is the worst since social media became the voice of the stupid which is not long ago. He is the most corrupt in that timespan too but the only other president was Obama.
    A lot of you need to get a grip, calm down and realise that you can't believe everything on Twitter or other social media sites. You need to have patience, something that seems to have gone missing in the social media age.
    I want to see a Democrat in office in 2020, I'm no fan of Trump but all the hate here is ludicrous.

If boot was on other foot do you think McConnell would have impeached a Dem president?

Fact is Trump has either ignored or completely flaunted his power. In the past not removing yourself from your business disqualified you from being president. In the past a President employing family members in positions of political power would have been enough to disqualify someone.

This list is nearly a year old but in terms of indictments he will likely pass Nixon.
    pyprfctm96f21.jpg

Historians have Trump ranked last. Even Republican historians have him 40 out of 44 and that's with the economy ticking along..imagine a major downturn happens https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-worst-president-presidential-greatness-survey-presidents-day-obama-george-washington-a8218721.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Leroy42 wrote: »
    HE has done nothing to help move the NI process forward, which effects us.

I don't really expect other countries presidents to get involved in that, it was Clinton's pet project but its a bit of a stretch to try pin the current mess on Trump imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

SexBobomb wrote: »
    I don't really expect other countries presidents to get involved in that, it was Clinton's pet project but its a bit of a stretch to try pin the current mess on Trump imo.

I din't pin it on him, I merely was pointing that that he had done nothing about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The Governor of New Mexico, who publicly withdrew the NMARNG troops from the border earlier this year presumably as a snub to Trump has gone to Washington DC to ask for more manpower and funding.

https://www.koat.com/article/governor-meets-with-federal-officials-in-dc-to-discuss-nm-border-situation-seeks-funding/27562571

Border Patrol had to shutter a couple of checkpoints in NM as a result of a requirement to shuffle personnel to fill in the gaps, as a result, trafficking has gone up. Otero County (some 90 miles from the border) has declared a state of emergency, the Sheriff has seen drug seizures go up from $3,500/mo to $60,000/mo between January (when the checkpoints were working) and last month. https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/news/local/community/2019/04/18/otero-county-state-emergency-border-patrol-immigration-gov-lujan-grisham/3508037002/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

everlast75 wrote: »
    The Stable Genius (his words, not mine) has now deleted that tweet...

Isn't that illegal as any of his output, including twitter, is of permanent record and therefore cannot be deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

rossie1977 wrote: »

Historians have Trump ranked last. Even Republican historians have him 40 out of 44 and that's with the economy ticking along..imagine a major downturn happens https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-worst-president-presidential-greatness-survey-presidents-day-obama-george-washington-a8218721.html

The Democrats really need to up their game here. The republican administrations are beating them by 113-1 in terms of criminal convictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

duploelabs wrote: »
    Isn't that illegal as any of his output, including twitter, is of permanent record and therefore cannot be deleted?

I believe so, all utterances of the President are considered to be a permanent record.

But ask yourself, do you really think Trump gives a toss about that sort of thing, or is even aware of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

duploelabs wrote: »

Yes but so are a lot of things in his administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

His comments today were an absolutely disgraceful attack on a dedicated public servant. Petty and shameless. It's like some sort of twilight zone we're living in now, and it's getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

PropJoe10 wrote:
    His comments today were an absolutely disgraceful attack on a dedicated public servant. Petty and shameless. It's like some sort of twilight zone we're living in now, and it's getting worse.

When you say we, who do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,976 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I still don't understand how Trump can say on the one hand that the report confirms what he's been saying for his whole presidency of there being no collusion and no conspiracy but on the other hand attacks mueller and says he was a never trumper is the phrase he uses. Either it's one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I still don't understand how Trump can say on the one hand that the report confirms what he's been saying for his whole presidency of there being no collusion and no conspiracy but on the other hand attacks mueller and says he was a never trumper is the phrase he uses. Either it's one or the other.

In fact, it's both! Each one is a lie. As lies, they don't need to conform to normal truth- based logic.

SImply,

a) there was collusion with a plethora of Russians, but there was no evidence that a conspiracy had been the entered into by Trump or the campaign with the Russian Government;

b) there was obstruction (11 examples given by Mueller) but no charges could be brought because of DoJ guidelines;

c) there is absolutely no evidence that Mueller was/is a so-called "Never-Trumper"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So trump is here next week.

Now call me a cynic in me says that their naming of Ireland on economic threats list was designed to get the government to keep a lid on any protests.

Trump doesn't want another London or a flying baby floating around.

But sure call me a cynic .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Actually it does ..

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

Thats how the system works.

Donalds tweet this morning sums it up ..

NO COLLUSION
    NO CHARGES BROUGHT
    NO OBSTRUCTION .

see you in court ...
    Except there was obstruction as documented in the Mueller report. Did you not read it or are you just going of Trump's tweets or whatever Fox news tells you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    In fact, it's both! Each one is a lie. As lies, they don't need to conform to normal truth- based logic.

SImply,

a) there was collusion with a plethora of Russians, but there was no evidence that a conspiracy had been the entered into by Trump or the campaign with the Russian Government;

b) there was obstruction (11 examples given by Mueller) but no charges could be brought because of DoJ guidelines;

c) there is absolutely no evidence that Mueller was/is a so-called "Never-Trumper"

There was. There was a meeting with a Russian government representative to provide dirt on Hillary. This has been confirmed by Trump's son and his former lawyer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Actually it does ..

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

Thats how the system works.

Donalds tweet this morning sums it up ..

NO COLLUSION
    NO CHARGES BROUGHT
    NO OBSTRUCTION .

see you in court ...

Perhaps you can tell us how Mueller, or anyone else given the job he took on, would have got past the DOJ memo that a sitting president could not be charged. Do you agree that that memo made the SC investigation meaningless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Considering the boo boo he made in that tweet, just think what a clusterfcuk it would have been if interviewed by Mueller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Christy42

Water John wrote: »
    Considering the boo boo he made in that tweet, just think what a clusterfcuk it would have been if interviewed by Mueller.

There is a reason his lawyers kept him hidden from an interview. They knew well he would have tanked himself if he ever talked under oath.

The reality seems Mueller didn't interview DT because he knew he couldn't prosecute him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

MrFresh wrote: »
    There was. There was a meeting with a Russian government representative to provide dirt on Hillary. This has been confirmed by Trump's son and his former lawyer

There's no question that there was a meeting. However, Mueller did not find evidence that supported a conspiracy charge that would be provable in Court.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Penn wrote: »
    What will be very interesting to see is what happens when Don is no longer President. Whether it's 2020 or beyond, the next time the Dems have either the Senate or Presidency, will they proceed with indicting him once he becomes a private citizen, as I believe the same reasoning the Justice Department use to say you can't indict a sitting President also says that no statute of limitations apply and the President can be indicted once their presidency is over.

As I understand it what happens is that the Statute of Limitations clock is paused for the duration of a persons time as POTUS.

So if the statute of limitations for a particular crime was ten years for example, for a former POTUS that time frame now becomes 10 + 4 (or 8) years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What is the "business dispute" with Mueller that Trump is ranting about?

A €15K golf club membership issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,976 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »
    A €15K golf club membership issue.
    Which according to the mueller report several aides including Chris Christie saying that that wouldn’t be a valid reason.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What is the "business dispute" with Mueller that Trump is ranting about?

There was no dispute.

Mueller was a member at one of his golf courses and because of work pressures etc. he decided to cancel his membership. Mueller wrote a letter to the club at that time asking if there was any possibility of a refund on the unused portion of the annual membership fee. The club came back and said no.

That was it , end of story , no further communications between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭DreamsBurnDown

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    There's no question that there was a meeting. However, Mueller did not find evidence that supported a conspiracy charge that would be provable in Court.

You would have to imagine if there were enough evidence he would have at least indicted those who attended the meeting, Don Jr. and Jared Kushner. While meeting with Russians isn't illegal and there may not be evidence of conspiracy, there would be a clear case of campaign finance regulations regulations if any information provided was of significant value. The evidence from the Mueller report is that the meeting was a waste of time as nothing useful was presented.

There's no question Mueller considering bringing charges against the meeting participants, but concluded that there wasn't enough evidence to convict.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement