Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    As I understand it what happens is that the Statute of Limitations clock is paused for the duration of a persons time as POTUS.

So if the statute of limitations for a particular crime was ten years for example, for a former POTUS that time frame now becomes 10 + 4 (or 8) years.

I don't think that's correct. As I understand it, the SOL runs out, unless a person is indicted before it's expiry, or a person facing indictment agrees to waive the SOL to prevent the indictment being made at this time. This question has been raised a number of times over the years and it is why some have argued that sitting Presidents might be indicted in secret. In this regard, note that there is already an 'un-indicted co-conspirator'' in the Cohen case who is probably the President. I stand to be corrected but I'd need to see the part of the opinion that 'freezes' the SOL clock before I'm convinced. I believe this is why Trump will run again in 2020 above all else. Self-preservation from the range of impending indictments that may ensue from the plethora of investigations that are ongoing.

Although not applicable here, it is notable that some prosecutors recently started to use DNA to get around SOL issues in cases of rape or murder to indict unknown persons whose DNA profile matches a sample collected from a crime scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Water John wrote: »
    Considering the boo boo he made in that tweet, just think what a clusterfcuk it would have been if interviewed by Mueller.

Look on the bright side, AG Barr would have found it difficult to protect the DOJ memo on not charging a sitting President if Don had sat with Rob and spoke in his usual way. Along with sinking himself, Don would have ensured no other president or AG could use the memo to evade justice. I'd hazard a guess there would be a queue of people outside the USSC or some lower federal court waiting to state a case on the legal standing of the memo.

It isn't even the legal opinion of the present or the last AG, just something handy for the office holder/s to use to dodge the responsibilities of their offices.

On Don's tweets about Mueller, I think he is trying to [or imagines he can] goad Mr Mueller into a public spat. I reckon that if he's minded to, Mr Mueller is more likely to prefer eating a cold meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

FatherTed wrote: »
    Except there was obstruction as documented in the Mueller report. Did you not read it or are you just going of Trump's tweets or whatever Fox news tells you?

That's not FOX. It looks like those RNC distributions where they praise Trump and ask for money. It would explain the eerily euphorically demented tone of those posts.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I still don't understand how Trump can say on the one hand that the report confirms what he's been saying for his whole presidency of there being no collusion and no conspiracy but on the other hand attacks mueller and says he was a never trumper is the phrase he uses. Either it's one or the other.

He knows his audience. His core audience are the types who adore a celebrity. The are empty on the inside and live through their hero. Yesterday, they hate deficits, but today they don't. Lacking in any conviction of their own and living through their hero, they'll think whatever Trump tell them to.

And Trump knows this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

5% tariff on all imports from Mexico, until they take action on illegal immigration. Not that the “action” is clearly defined.

Just another piece of nonsense to whip up the base and take attention away from his obstruction of justice troubles. It’s so transparent at this stage it’s almost comical.

Real problem is, Mexico won’t pay the tariffs. The US public will.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48469408

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,545 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Brian? wrote: »
    5% tariff on all imports from Mexico, until they take action on illegal immigration. Not that the “action” is clearly defined.

Just another piece of nonsense to whip up the base and take attention away from his obstruction of justice troubles. It’s so transparent at this stage it’s almost comical.

Well, he'll be able to transfer money to the automotive industry, like he's done with the farmers. Maybe this'll start the economic downturn that assures his loss in 2020. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Just like who pays for the wall

Igotadose wrote: »

Well, he'll be able to transfer money to the automotive industry, like he's done with the farmers. Maybe this'll start the economic downturn that assures his loss in 2020. Time will tell.

And when Mexico retaliates with similar tariffs on imports of Soybeans and Pork from the USA, it'll pile more pain on the rust-belt and Carolina farmers. And at the same time, the Son of NAFTA treaty is up for ratification in Mexico's legislature. The WH is also putting pressure on Congress to agree the deal. Now, who in their right minds would sign a trade treaty with this crazy Administration when the President will impose tariffs on whatever/ whomever he likes on a pure whim, with zero regard for the consequences? And this will have a huge effect on Mexico's economy by the time the tariffs reach 25% in October. The worse Mexico''s economy performs, 5he greater will be the number of Mexicans who will join the Central Americans to try to cross the Border.

This is sheer madness, solely designed to deflect attention away from his personal legal troubles.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    And when Mexico retaliates with similar tariffs on imports of Soybeans and Pork from the USA, it'll pile more pain on the rust-belt and Carolina farmers. And at the same time, the Son of NAFTA treaty is up for ratification in Mexico's legislature. The WH is also putting pressure on Congress to agree the deal. Now, who in their right minds would sign a trade treaty with this crazy Administration when the President will impose tariffs on whatever/ whomever he likes on a pure whim, with zero regard for the consequences? And this will have a huge effect on Mexico's economy by the time the tariffs reach 25% in October. The worse Mexico''s economy performs, 5he greater will be the number of Mexicans who will join the Central Americans to try to cross the Border.

This is sheer madness, solely designed to deflect attention away from his personal legal troubles.

Its funny how whenever the Trump Adminstration does something it
    A) Promised in Trumps campaign speech
    B) Is part of the job of running the US Economy
    the anti-Trumpers all say .. ohh he is doing that to deflect attention from legal woes.

There are 2 MILLION workers in the US Federal Government, managing many complex aspects of the largest economy and most powerful nation the world has ever seen.
    So it might come as a shock to anti-Trumpers that the Trump Administration has alot of work and works on many facets of the US economy at the same time.

So anti-Trumpers say ohh its a deflection from legal woes.
    Whilst in the trillion dollar world of finance and FX, the experts are monitoring real indices .
    Calling it a nonsense and appealing to the base ,when in the real world of finance the peso dropped 1.8% yesterday after Trumps announcement, in fact the Mexican Peso has been on a slide for many months, the Mexican government recently revised down GDP forecasts.
    As well theres a flight of investment from emerging markets as the dollar strengtens.
    And yet the anti-Trumpers claim this is just a nonsense.

This is a shrewd move from the Trump administration , the US holds the upper hand , why should it not play its TRUMP card.
    Doing what needs to be done when managing the largest economy thats ever existed.. is hardly a deflection from legal woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It is precisely because it holds the upper hand that they shouldn't need to play their trump card. That, Rigolo, is Trump's biggest weakness. He cannot negotiate, everything is all or nothing.

Why would you deem this 'my way or else' plan is going to work out any better then the same plan is currently working with China, or his attempt to get Obamacare replaced (remember all his threats then?) or his ultimatum to the EU or his demands on NK (they are no longer sending remains back, I must have missed your post criticising Trump for his failure to raise this).

The economy is going well, so why the need for all these fights? It is putting, as he has done with farmers, a significant risk into the mix for very unclear objectives and outcomes. Will the US government now to forced to pay over more multiple $billions akin to the bail out of Soya Bean farmers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Rigolo - can I ask you

1) if you have read the Mueller report?
    2) what parts do you agree with?
    3) what parts do you disagree with?
    4) do you have a problem if Russia interferes in the 2020 election?

I really would like a reasoned, fact based debate on that one topic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Off topic posts deleted. It should go without saying that dragging up people's posts from other forums to take potshots at them here is not on. Any more of it and there will be sanctions. Debate the topic at hand please.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Rigolo - can I ask you

I really would like a reasoned, fact based debate on that one topic.

You can check my posts, I pretty much answered all those questions many many many times before and have listed numerous facts.
    suffice to say

FACTUAL -
    NO COLLUSION CHARGES BROUGHT
    NO OBSTRUCTION CHARGES BROUGHT
    NO IMPEACHMENT BROUGHT
    GOP HAS A SENATE MAJORITY

As to Russian interference , as I said in a prior post Ive a bookshelf full of the history books all with references to various Russian projection of influence globally going back nearly 200 years.
    Anyone surprised at past , present or future Russian interference is either naive or ignorant of history or has their head stuck in the sand.

Likewise in my opinion the real story is and always has been that
    FACEBOOK, GOOGLE (The NEW MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE) have undue influence with no reprecussions in modern society.
    Its been well documented , the best was by Al Jazeera how the Trump campaign were just smarter and shrewder in how they used those social media tools to win swing states.

And as I stated elsewhere thats been the failing of news journalism
    Instead of the drivel that passes for journalism these days, where journalists sit behind their keyboards taking news story from the same feeds their readers have access too, and just putting their spin on some topic , telling their readers how and what to think because they consider themselves our betters.’

Instead of chasing the real story (ie how a few companies are now dictating how society should act, think and behave) the journos are chasing clickbait and producing the same story as 99% of other outlets from the same angle .

And the FACTS havent changed materially in over 2 years ..
    40 million spent, hundreds of supeonas, 24x7 media (with a 99% liberal anti-Trump bias), investigation upon investigation etc etc

FACTUAL -
    NO IMPEACHMENT BROUGHT
    etc etc

Once those change , its just business as usual.
    The Trump Administration gets on with running the largest economy in the world,
    Whilst as I pointed out earlier, the anti-Trumpers are still running with Mueller and grasping at the strws he left dangling none fo whic have changed any facts , and they claim all other measures taking by the largest government in history to manage their global and domestic affairs are simply attempts to deflect from legal woes of one man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

What's a collusion charge? Do you mean conspiracy?

Even Senator Chuck Grassley has stated that Trump's proposed Mexico tariffs are 'a misuse of presidential tariff authority'.

So, Trump's deflection scheme hasn't gone down well with some of his own lads. It must be that Trump's Twitter admission the previous day that Russia had helped him to win the election in 2016 has made some of the GoP swallow very hard indeed!

Not a great couple of days for the man-baby whose personality forces even the US Navy to 'disappear' one of their ships in fear of bringing on yet another temper tantrum. Not to worry, I'm sure the Japanese people were delighted to have an American President wish them a Happy Memorial Day! Yeah, I'll bet that went down well in Hiroshima and Nagasaki!

Hands up anyone here who still doesn't understand that the DOJ has policy against indicting sitting presidents.

Anyone?

Good.

Now please stop pretending that "NO OBSTRUCTION CHARGES BROUGHT" means anything. It's wilfully dishonest and it's not fooling anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

RIGOLO wrote: »
    You can check my posts, I pretty much answered all those questions many many many times before and have listed numerous facts.
    suffice to say

FACTUAL -
    NO IMPEACHMENT BROUGHT

As to Russian interference , as I said in a prior post Ive a bookshelf full of the history books all with references to various Russian projection of influence globally going back nearly 200 years.
    Anyone surprised at past , present or future Russian interference is either naive or ignorant of history or has their head stuck in the sand.

FACEBOOK, GOOGLE (The NEW MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE) have undue influence with no reprecussions in modern society.
    Its been well documented , the best was by Al Jazeera how the Trump campaign were just smarter and shrewder in how they used those social media tools to win swing states.

Instead of the drivel that passes for journalism these days, where journalists sit behind their keyboards taking news story from the same feeds their readers have access too, and just putting their spin on some topic , telling their readers how and what to think because they consider themselves our betters.’

Instead of chasing the real story (ie how a few companies are now dictating how society should act, think and behave) the journos are chasing clickbait and producing the same story as 99% of other outlets from the same angle .

40 million spent, hundreds of supeonas, 24x7 media (with a 99% liberal anti-Trump bias), investigation upon investigation etc etc

FACTUAL -
    NO IMPEACHMENT BROUGHT
    etc etc

Whilst as I pointed out earlier, the anti-Trumpers are still running with Mueller and grasping at the strws he left dangling none fo whic have changed any facts , and they claim all other measures taking by the largest government in history to manage their global and domestic affairs are simply attempts to deflect from legal woes of one man.

Grand.

Now, can you answer the questions I asked you?

Even Senator Chuck Grassley has stated that Trump's proposed Mexico tariffs are 'a misuse of presidential tariff authority'.

So, Trump's deflection scheme hasn't gone down well with some of his own lads. It must be that Trump's Twitter admission the previous day that Russia had helped him to win the election in 2016 has made some of the GoP swallow very hard indeed!

Not a great couple of days for the man-baby whose personality forces even the US Navy to 'disappear' one of their ships in fear of bringing on get another temper tantrum. Not to worry, I'm sure the Japanese people were delighted to have an American President wish them a Happy Memorial Day! Yeah, I'll bet that went down well in Hiroshima and Nagasaki!

Actually Trump has had a historic week with the military.

He took the time to shake hands with all 991 graduate cadets of the AIR FORCE ACADEMY yesterday .

The anti-Trumpers see Japan as some kind of PR disaster, whilst the JAPANESE nation steeped in history and tradition bestowed on Trump the honour of being the First western leader to meet with their new Emperor.
    One would have to understand how deeply the tradition of honour and symbolism runs thru Japanese life to appreciate the significance of this meeting.

and in other news anotehr great PR day for Trump with the US Military

Fair play to Trump, he had an option to shake a few hands, he choose to stay and shake hands with all 991 graduates of what will be the future of the USAF .
    EVen in fast mo it still 8 mins of saluting and hand shaking

Now heres a president who takes his military seriously , gives them respect and has earned their respect.

Can you imagine if Hilary did this, my god the internet would break with commentary of what a great gesture it was... but the bias runs deep . Little if any coverage, journos too busy writing the next hit-job piece, just like their colleague in the next cube, building, news agency....

Hands up anyone here who still doesn't understand that the DOJ has policy against indicting sitting presidents.

Anyone?

Good.

Now please stop pretending that "NO OBSTRUCTION CHARGES BROUGHT" means anything. It's wilfully dishonest and it's not fooling anyone.

It means everything ...

860 DAYS of the Trump Presidency ... with today being the 861st.

860 Days in office and counting and no charges , no collusion, no conspiracy, no obstruction and no impeachement or even hint of having these happen ..

He has 650 days left in office. With a likelihood of a second term .

Im happy to enjoy they 1610 , One Thousand Six Hundred and Ten days of his first term in office,

Meanwhile I guess the anti-Trumpers will have to content themselves with re-reading Muellers report and analysing Muellers press conference.

Folks it was all over when Trump won the election Nov 9th 2016. it was all over when he took office Jan 20th 2017 , it was all over when he signed the paperwork to go for a second term on Jan 21st 2017,
    You would think after 860 days in office the anti-Trumpers might realsie its all over.
    Enjoy the next 650 days of TRump , buckle up it will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,976 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

From my reading of American political history for the beginning of what would be called the modern era until now, there was the two big parties as there is now. I imagine America and its political and judicial framework as a house. Over the years the house has had its rooms changed colours and there have been superficial changes here and there but the walls of the house were still up.

Trump is the house owner who has decided to not only changes the seating arrangement in the house but do a basil fawlty on the supporting wall(the builders episode) and weaking it. Justin Amash is like a lower level version of the East German politican who accidentally set off the fall of the Berlin Wall. I know his first name was Gunter but his second name escapes me. America needs a GOP politican like Barry Goldwater in the 1970's to open the crossing points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

suffice to say

FACTUAL -
    NO IMPEACHMENT BROUGHT

FACTUAL -
    NO IMPEACHMENT BROUGHT
    etc etc

Interesting the way that you keep emphasising this. It's like you're trying to highlight to yourself that no matter how much evidence there is that Trump committed obstruction of justice (and there is LOTS), it really doesn't matter, because the Grand Old Party will protect him anyway.

Outside of that, it'd be really good if you'd answer everlast's 4 questions. I'd be genuinely interested to hear your answers to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

It means everything ...

860 DAYS of the Trump Presidency ... with today being the 861st.

860 Days in office and counting and no charges , no collusion, no conspiracy, no obstruction and no impeachement or even hint of having these happen ..

He has 650 days left in office. With a likelihood of a second term .

Im happy to enjoy they 1610 , One Thousand Six Hundred and Ten days of his first term in office,

Meanwhile I guess the anti-Trumpers will have to content themselves with re-reading Muellers report and analysing Muellers press conference.

Folks it was all over when Trump won the election Nov 9th 2016. it was all over when he took office Jan 20th 2017 , it was all over when he signed the paperwork to go for a second term on Jan 21st 2017,
    You would think after 860 days in office the anti-Trumpers might realsie its all over.
    Enjoy the next 650 days of TRump , buckle up it will be great.

So you haven't read the Mueller report at all then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Rigolo, I would like to ask you the difference between the Irish media doing a great job holding the line and rigourously investigating that current swing gate situation and how it’s important the press has the ability to do its job, and yet you seem to think Trump is subject to a witch-hunt in the US media and they’re out to get him/not doing their job?
    This is a genuine question I just can’t see how this works?
    You seem to agree it’s the job of the press to be the fourth estate and investigate and report, until you don’t, as it relates to Trump.
    POTUS no matter who it is in the office should always be held to a higher standard and carry themselves accordingly and be open and accepting of and available to any and all scrutiny from the press or anyone.
    Trump rejects this basic premise utterly and demonises them.
    You have to wonder why that might be?
    This isn’t me coming at your at all, I’m genuinely curious how you can reconcile these two very different opinions on the same thing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Right, deep breath people. Let's recap a few of the rule around here. Nobody's obliged to answer questions. They can engage as much or as little as they want, provided they are engaging to some degree.

However....

The charter states:
    Deliberately misleading posts or posters aiming to spread misinformation will be sanctioned. We do not expect posters to be experts in all areas, however, the onus is on all posters to fact check their information. If a poster is corrected, or information corrected in a thread, any poster who continues to relate misinformation as fact will be sanctioned.

So if you make a claim and you're corrected on that claim, but you keeping making it, then you're falling foul of the rules.

It also states:
    This forum is for discussion and debate and we will not tolerate soapboxing. If you are here to "shout everyone down" with your opinions, we will see you as a negative contributor to the forum and will take appropriate action. High standards of debate and quality posts / threads are required.

That doesn't mean you have to reply to every single post addressing you, but it does mean you do have engage in discussion and not just keep saying the same stuff over and over again.

I'd advise everyone to go read the charter again and think carefully about what they post.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭amandstu

The worse Mexico''s economy performs, 5he greater will be the number of Mexicans who will join the Central Americans to try to cross the Border.
    Is that the idea...to provoke a border crisis? Or does that scenario take too long to play out for 2020?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The guardian has an article today stating that North Korea has executed its special envoy to the US over the failure of the summit with Trump. No reaction at all from the WH or Trump administration yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

The guardian has an article today stating that North Korea has executed its special envoy to the US over the failure of the summit with Trump. No reaction at all from the WH or Trump administration yet.

Multiple reports saying it was a few envoys executed.
    This part of clashes against the narrative that they walked over trump and he came away with nothing.
    None of this makes sense but this is the overriding theme of this trump era

amandstu wrote: »
    Is that the idea...to provoke a border crisis? Or does that scenario take too long to play out for 2020?

it's an interesting thought, but I think that would be an unintended consequence. I don't think it's all so well thought out that they'd be consciously trying to undermine the Mexican economy so.much as to.create a surge of illegal immigration from Mexico. But undermining an already very fragile economy and society is a grossly irresponsible action to take, particularly as the problem they're allegedly trying to.solve is not created by Mexico at all. Rather, much of the illegal immigration and asylum applications come from people who are forced to leave countries to the South of Mexico. Many of the reasons why they leave those countries and seek better and/or safer lives in the US is down to unintended consequences of policies that the US has propagated in those countries over many decades.

Rigolo, I would like to ask you the difference between the Irish media doing a great job holding the line and rigourously investigating that current swing gate situation and how it’s important the press has the ability to do its job, and yet you seem to think Trump is subject to a witch-hunt in the US media and they’re out to get him/not doing their job?
    This is a genuine question I just can’t see how this works?
    You seem to agree it’s the job of the press to be the fourth estate and investigate and report, until you don’t, as it relates to Trump.
    POTUS no matter who it is in the office should always be held to a higher standard and carry themselves accordingly and be open and accepting of and available to any and all scrutiny from the press or anyone.
    Trump rejects this basic premise utterly and demonises them.
    You have to wonder why that might be?
    This isn’t me coming at your at all, I’m genuinely curious how you can reconcile these two very different opinions on the same thing.

I dont have two different opinions on the same thing, just cos you say I do dont make it so. Journalism is a joke .

here just a few examples from this week ,

US GDP estimates for Q1 2019 were announced at 3.1% yesterday, Trump admin estimated 3.2% , the markets estimated 3.0% so wheres the big story on that , wheres the analysis on the front page of how the US is getting 3 % GDP and the rest of the world even the EU is scrambling for 1%
    Instead its the same drivel and spin and hit jobs and scrambling at Mueller and what he might have meant.
    Remeber OBAMA AND HIS DAYS OF 3% WILL NEVER BE SEEN AGAIN .. wheres the journalistic investigation and analysis of this stuff...

JAPAN visit for Trump was an amazing event, I had to watch NHK to get soem decent coverage, the meeting of the west and the ancient EAST in the Emperors palace, what amazing footage was available, especially with the grace of Melania, do you think it got the coverage ite merited, nah , a few reports from there, few if any showing extensive footage of the PR event.
    Yet the Japaneese loved it as evident from NHK coverage but he main stream media cant be bothered to give the real story .

Trump shakes hands with all 991 graduates from Air Force Academy, try finding news on that, instead there still going on about a ship that might might not have been moved...

Trump attacks MS-13, whats the media spin , Trump attacks immigrants, where are the journos investigating the murderous reign of MS--13

A child dies in US immigration custody, it makes headline news, umerous op-eds, everyones self righous and on their high horse , and then a teenage girl gets raped and murdered by an illegal immigrant it dosent get a mentioned and is dropped like a hot potato , it barely registers, in the news. In this year few if any ANGEL MOMs (women whos children have been killed by an illegal alien) has been a guest on a CNN or MSNBC show, the same stations gave Avenatti 200 appearances in 2 years, why cos he fit their hit-job agenda .

the list goes on and on . I dont have two different opinions , I have 1, The media is and has been a running joke for nigh on 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump effectively came away with nothing, particularly since now NK have stopped cooperating in the return of remains, but clearly NK expected more from the recent summit. Trump, in the end, had little option but to walk away, embarrassingly so, given that the US had really achieved nothing but had given NK pretty much everything they wanted.

My guess would be KJU blamed the envoys for the failure to get the deal signed off, on the basis that the approach they had taken of making it all about Trump and his ego had almost worked to perfection but in the end failed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement