Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Igotadose wrote: »
    Pretty disgusting behavior by the anti-trump protesters in the UK. https://www.lbc.co.uk/watch-videos/anti-trump-protest-violence-milkshake-supporter/

Pity the poor bobbys trying to keep the peace. Amazed no one got hurt worse than a dunking with McDonald's milkshake mix.

It's ironic that the protestors create more problems for society when they're thinking they're doing good.

As far as I know the locals in Clare don't want them,need them or like them.

It's all outsider's who are protesting in most cases.

Who'll be picking up the rubbish and fixing the landscape around Shannon ?

It won't be the eco warriors and justice warrior s it'll be the good will of the local county council.

Stranger's prancing around Drumgeely Hill making the day unbearable for the locals.

Starbucks coffee will be the winner's here, because it's right across from the protest..

The irony of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

NHS on the table, what does that even mean ? Trump wants the NHS privatized ?

Disaster capitalism in its fullest mutation; of course the fabled £350 million "saved" in voting for Brexit is never going to happen, and with Farage openly for private insurance led health you can see a scenario where the UK is over a barrel. When the slowdown happens and the cuts come, the NHS will be in the firing line, money saved by American insurance companies and funds filling the gap. That's the plan, the slow erosion of the NHS.

Off topic, but while some say the Brits wouldn't let go of their NHS lightly, Farage has intoxicated politics with a resting poison of self harm on an hitherto unseen level. He's in deep with Trump, not to mention Aaron Banks whose money comes from ... ... Insurance. Maybe, just maybe the threat of the free GPs and reduced drug costs might rouse some from their sleepwalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭amandstu

Would be very surprised if they make any headway in privatizing /Americanizing the NHS.

I would imagine Trump is harming his "allies"by his open overreach.

Who will speak up to agree with him over the NHS I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

The NHS is on the table, it's a card US healthcare companies want off the British for a trade deal. This is really getting worse by the day, would see huge resistance in the UK to a US style healthcare system which is what Farage, Trump and brexiters like Aaron Banks want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

pixelburp wrote: »
    Disaster capitalism in its fullest mutation; of course the fabled £350 million "saved" in voting for Brexit is never going to happen, and with Farage openly for private insurance led health you can see a scenario where the UK is over a barrel. When the slowdown happens and the cuts come, the NHS will be in the firing line, money saved by American insurance companies and funds filling the gap. That's the plan, the slow erosion of the NHS.

Off topic, but while some say the Brits wouldn't let go of their NHS lightly, Farage has intoxicated politics with a resting poison of self harm on an hitherto unseen level. He's in deep with Trump, not to mention Aaron Banks whose money comes from ... ... Insurance. Maybe, just maybe the threat of the free GPs and reduced drug costs might rouse some from their sleepwalking.

It is what the US has exported economically to so many places around the world. Foisting the disaster capitalism of Freedman onto countries destroying the economic well being of most of the citizens. While making the countries compliant then with whatever the US wants often including big contracts for US firms which just further exploits them economically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I saw Trump suggest the NHS and other things are on the table regarding deals with the UK post Brexit, as May grins beside him. I don't live there but you can't help but feel for the people with that hanging over head.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/trump-nhs-brexit-trade-deal-talks-theresa-may-press-conference-uk-a8943656.html

Heard it mentioned on RTE news. It's possible that Don, being a businessman, put the NHS bit in as a ballbreaker to ensure the deal wouldn't go through and can turn and say "well I offered a good deal and they rejected it" then come back later after there is an almighty row in the UK, worse than the Brexit row, and offer another deal. Divide and conquer. The other persons mentioned in earlier posts likely to gain from the offer may have a hand in the TOC mentioned by Don.

amandstu wrote: »
    Would be very surprised if they make any headway in privatizing /Americanizing the NHS.

I would imagine Trump is harming his "allies"by his open overreach.

Who will speak up to agree with him over the NHS I wonder?

They have already started with the likes of Branson in my opinion, the ordinary people might love the NHS but the Tories etc have had their knives out for it for a long time.

everlast75 wrote: »
    He also suggested that Farage should be sent in to negotiate Brexit.

He's a deep thinker.

I took that to be what Don meant when he first spoke about Farage and negotiations but think he meant any US/UK trade negotiations after Brexit and this NHS TOC, along with Farage's party may have led Don to think the UK Conservative Govt will enter talks with Farage as a go-between. Don wants Brexit as it'll harm the EU trading power Bloc.

Today's [Tuesday] NYT ran a story 1 hour ago [Trade] that senior republicans warn white house against Mexico tariffs. In a contentious meeting at the Capitol, senators told senior white house officials that they were opposed to President Trump's plan to impose tariffs on Mexican imports. Hours earlier the president said that lawmakers would be "foolish" if they tried to stop him.

Given that Don is this side of the pond for a day or so now, and the NYT didn't state when the contentious meeting took place, I cant put any more info here. I don't have an NYT account though other posters from the US might be able to get and post such info here as to whom the senators actual are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

aloyisious wrote: »
    Today's [Tuesday] NYT ran a story 1 hour ago [Trade] that senior republicans warn white house against Mexico tariffs. In a contentious meeting at the Capitol, senators told senior white house officials that they were opposed to President Trump's plan to impose tariffs on Mexican imports. Hours earlier the president said that lawmakers would be "foolish" if they tried to stop him.

Given that Don is this side of the pond for a day or so now, and the NYT didn't state when the contentious meeting took place, I cant put any more info here. I don't have an NYT account though other posters from the US might be able to get and post such info here as to whom the senators actual are.

Cornyn, Romney and McConnell have all come out against it.

Rubio, Kennedy and a few other flip floppers and 2020 election facers are falling behind Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Brian? wrote: »
    I haven’t actually seen anyone make up lies about Trump though. He calls people liars for quoting him. It’s bizarre.

He doesn't call people out for merely quoting him. What a ridiculous thing to say.

He calls certain media outlets out (and some individuals) that deliberately quote him out of context or subtly twist what he has said to give another, more sinister, meaning and rightfully so.

For example, he was quoted out of context all week by the media who claimed he called Meghan 'nasty' rather than tell that truth which was that he referred to what she said about him as nasty. One example (there are tons):

cnn22.png

It's quite clear from the audio that when Trump is told what Meghan had said during the presidential campaign (that she would leave the country if he was elected) he says, calmly "No I didn't know that, I didn't know she was nasty..." clearly meaning that he didn't know she'd been nasty about him in the way he'd just been told. He then immediately follows that by saying he thinks it's a good thing to have an American princess and thinks she'll do very well. Hardly something someone would say right after saying someone was a nasty person now is it.... bit that's the times we live in.

The audio in context:

https://twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1134809885957414917

Now a massive fan of Piers but fair to him for not doing what all the other media outlets have been doing:

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1135278030480392192

The media has lied many times about Trump though. There's little difference between them and the SJWs who hang out on Twitter looking to be offended on others behalf.

Some more examples: that he mocked the disabled, that called Neo-Nazis fine people, all Mexicans rapists, immigrants "animals" (etc etc) and of course the biggest lie of all, that he colluded with the Russians to rig the presidential election.

So, yes, there have been many lies made up about Trump. Indeed, many/most of 'em have been repeated on this very thread and as was said, with someone like Trump, who does and says so many controversial and non-PC things, there really is no need to be making crap up about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Christopher Steele set to be interviewed by newly appointed prosecutor John Durham

Big development

• Registered Users Posts: 15,654 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

"I didn't know she was nasty" is what he said. The rest you have attributed based on what you think he meant.

He then followed that up by a few days later calling Khan nasty. Which proves how he views that word.

Your entire argument is based on Trump complaining about people misinterpreting what he says, but that is his own fault as he constantly fails to make it clear what he says. He even has to clarify some of his tweets, which he is in control control of.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a POTUS that can actually say what he means and make it clear. I thought Trumps appeal was that he 'Tells it like it is'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Here are most of Trump's insults. Feel free to dismiss them with a bored/annoyed handwave as I know you will.
    Just check under H for Hillary.
    Yeah, quoted out of context 598 times.
    He is clever enough to keep his rethoric just this side of completely unacceptable (though it is unacceptable), but strong enough to appeal to racists and a-holes.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/28/upshot/donald-trump-twitter-insults.html

I wonder why there is no list with nearly 600 of the best insults by Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭volchitsa

He doesn't call people out for merely quoting him. What a ridiculous thing to say.

He calls certain media outlets out (and some individuals) that deliberately quote him out of context or subtly twist what he has said to give another, more sinister, meaning and rightfully so.

For example, he was quoted out of context all week by the media who claimed he called Meghan 'nasty' rather than tell that truth which was that he referred to what she said about him as nasty. One example (there are tons):

It's quite clear from the audio that when Trump is told what Meghan had said during the presidential campaign (that she would leave the country if he was elected) he says, calmly "No I didn't know that, I didn't know she was nasty..." clearly meaning that he didn't know she'd been nasty about him in the way he'd just been told. He then immediately follows that by saying he thinks it's a good thing to have an American princess and thinks she'll do very well. Hardly something someone would say right after saying someone was a nasty person now is it.... bit that's the times we live in.

The audio in context:

He literally said she was nasty. Has he said he "misspoke" or whatever the current media speak is for foot in mouth comments these days? I don't think he has.

So you or anyone else deciding that he actually meant something else is just part of his supporters' MO of scrabbling around for some way to explain it away.

It reminds me of Bush jr and "the French don't have a word for entrepreneurs". We were treated to lengthy and often incomprehensible explanations of how he was really making some learned comment about the etymology of the word or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Christy42

The audio in context:

Now a massive fan of Piers but fair to him for not doing what all the other media outlets have been doing:

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1135278030480392192

The media has lied many times about Trump though. There's little difference between them and the SJWs who hang out on Twitter looking to be offended on others behalf.

Some more examples: that he mocked the disabled, that called Neo-Nazis fine people, all Mexicans rapists, immigrants "animals" (etc etc) and of course the biggest lie of all, that he colluded with the Russians to rig the presidential election.

So, yes, there have been many lies made up about Trump. Indeed, many/most of 'em have been repeated on this very thread and as was said, with someone like Trump, who does and says so many controversial and non-PC things, there really is no need to be making crap up about him.

"I didn't know she was nasty". This is indeed calling her nasty.

It is indeed a response to something she said about him. Generally people call others nasty in response to something. This is what Trump said.

Trump is getting offended over easily in the video posted here and you call out the media for looking for offense?

Ah yes he didn't call all Mexican's immigrants. Just heavily suggested that the vast majority of Mexican illegal immigrants are rapists. So much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Trump is doing for Remain campaigners this visit what Obama did for Leave campaigners during his visit in 2016. The main difference is Obama was correct in what he said about the UK not being at the front of the line as part of the EU if they vote for Brexit and would have to be at the back of the line, while Trump is giving Remain all the ammunition they need to call for a second referendum. Nicola Sturgeon was already laying the groundwork for IndyRef2 before the Trump visit but now with him confirming that the NHS is on the table in a UK-US trade deal she is clearly delighted at him doing all the campaign work for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What time are we welcoming the teflon don to lovely shannon. Also when are the crybabies protesting in dublin and where ? Aside from the location being pointless, I don’t want to get caught in traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Did he say "I didn't know she was nasty" or did he say "I didn't know she said something nasty"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What time are we welcoming the teflon don to lovely shannon. Also when are the crybabies protesting in dublin and where ? Aside from the location being pointless, I don’t want to get caught in traffic

Is that term supposed to be a compliment?

And as for the remainder of your comment - why do Trump supporters always resort to name-calling. Learned from the master I suppose.

Having said that, I would not expect a Trump supporter to be a fan of people's right to protes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,654 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It is strange alright. Trump supporters love the rallies, the right to say it like it is, to finally be allowed to get of the PC nonsense.

Yet they absolutely hate people that protest against Trump, calling them Losers (Trump does that) or crybabies and snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

everlast75 wrote: »
    Is that term supposed to be a compliment?

And as for the remainder of your comment - why do Trump supporters always resort to name-calling. Learned from the master I suppose.

Having said that, I would not expect a Trump supporter to be a fan of people's right to protes

I just don't get why Trump protesters(and I regard Trump as an ignorant b****x) don't also protest when the leaders of France or Germany who are among the biggest of arms dealers and creators of misery around the world come to Ireland.

I just don't get why Trump protesters(and I regard Trump as an ignorant b****x) don't also protest when the leaders of France or Germany who are among the biggest of arms dealers and creators of misery around the world come to Ireland.

This, the trump protestors are just bandwaggoners repeating the same lame soundbytes from before the election , you can only call him a racist so many times , worst part is the protests are over the democrat spun idea of who the man is, not his policies or what he’s actually done while in office. Theres still people with signs calling him a war monger ffs. But true to form in this case, the chap visits clare but all the people who’d protest are middle class kids who live in dublin suburbs so not a chance theyd get the bus down to do it where he’d actually see it, ohh no, its about being seen to protest, not having an effective protest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

He opened the gates to hate. Platformed and endorsed an ugly racist underbelly that maybe was always there but he legitimised it. And just to get it’s support.
    No other leader at that level has done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Trump: "Now the poor guy, you gotta see this guy"

*Proceeds to mimic the movements of disabled reporter Serge Kovaleski*

Outlaw Pete: "He didn't mock the disabled"

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Trump is doing for Remain campaigners this visit what Obama did for Leave campaigners during his visit in 2016. The main difference is Obama was correct in what he said about the UK not being at the front of the line as part of the EU if they vote for Brexit and would have to be at the back of the line, while Trump is giving Remain all the ammunition they need to call for a second referendum. Nicola Sturgeon was already laying the groundwork for IndyRef2 before the Trump visit but now with him confirming that the NHS is on the table in a UK-US trade deal she is clearly delighted at him doing all the campaign work for her.

Just thinking back on Boris and Nigel about Brexit being great for Britain, and the trouble Boris is in now about his Brexit campaign quotes [£350 Million a week sent to EU - lets fund our NHS instead] it would profit the remainers to ask Boris what he thinks of Don's Brexit trade-deal idea. Hell, it might even profit Boris in the conservative race [though people would see through it as opportunistic] if he went after Nigel about his friendship with Don.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

He opened the gates to hate. Platformed and endorsed an ugly racist underbelly that maybe was always there but he legitimised it. And just to get it’s support.
    No other leader at that level has done that.

So you reckon that's worse than selling arms ,hence misery , around the world as Germany and France among others do?

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Trump: "Now the poor guy, you gotta see this guy"

*Proceeds to mimic the movements of disabled reporter Serge Kovaleski*

Outlaw Pete: "He didn't mock the disabled"

Get some new material.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Get some new material.
    Another one who excuses mocking the disabled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Christy42

This, the trump protestors are just bandwaggoners repeating the same lame soundbytes from before the election , you can only call him a racist so many times , worst part is the protests are over the democrat spun idea of who the man is, not his policies or what he’s actually done while in office. Theres still people with signs calling him a war monger ffs. But true to form in this case, the chap visits clare but all the people who’d protest are middle class kids who live in dublin suburbs so not a chance theyd get the bus down to do it where he’d actually see it, ohh no, its about being seen to protest, not having an effective protest.

It is a protest to our own politicians showing we are against policies like Trumps and that we wouldn't want our own . Trump didn't care about protesters in his own country never mind our own. And surely once the news covers it it will be seen? The only way to have an effective protest is to be seen to protest so that sentence makes little sense.

Trump gets protests as he a regression. A close ally suddenly turning against ideals of decency.

Of course Trump is not a warmonger. Must be Obama still ordering all those drone strikes or doing everything he can to get Iran to produce nuclear weapons.

Pretty sure people are against what he has done in office as well (relaxing domestic abuse laws, tariffs to drive up tensions with his allies including the EU, anti planned Parenthood laws, attacks on NATO, opposing the rape in war resolution in the UN, tearing up the Paris agreement and tearing up the Iran deal have all received negative press over here.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement