Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Get some new material.

A poster said he didn't do that.
    Another poster said he did.
    And your response is "get some new material"?

So - are you saying
    a) it didn't happen, or
    b) it did, but it should happen more than once for it to be referenced?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,654 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So you reckon that's worse than selling arms ,hence misery , around the world as Germany and France among others do?

But it not an either or. Are you suggesting that since the people do not protest against the likes of Germany and France arm sales then they have no right to protest against Trump?

People have lives to live, they must choose the battles they wish to fight. Trump is clearly a threat not only to the EU, NATO but also to the entire world with his continued denial of climate change. Not only does he not agree with it, he is actively working on increasing the harmful things we have been doing (coal etc).

Get some new material.

I didn't know there was a time limit on evidence. What is the statute of limitations on political declarations.

Based on your response, I would fully expect that at this stage HC slate is completely wiped clean and you would be willing to consider her for election?

I just don't get why Trump protesters(and I regard Trump as an ignorant b****x) don't also protest when the leaders of France or Germany who are among the biggest of arms dealers and creators of misery around the world come to Ireland.

You don't get it?

Because this guy spews bile multiple times on a daily basis, not through any filter of "MSM" or any other news site, but through his phone.

You cannot escape him. And whilst his supporters may blame the media for focusing their attention on him, he courts their attention - always has done, so there is no one to blame for that other than himself.

Whilst there may be an argument for protests against other leaders, they are not commanding the attention of the world by repeatedly causing chaos where ever he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

President Trump is most welcome here in County Clare I can assure the national media and twittwrati. Unlike others he provides employment here instead of empty populist messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But it not an either or. Are you suggesting that since the people do not protest against the likes of Germany and France arm sales then they have no right to protest against Trump?.

I never said it was either or but I am curious as to why we never protest when war mongers, and lets be straight about it arms dealing is war mongering, from France Germany etc come to Ireland.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Trump: "Now the poor guy, you gotta see this guy"

*Proceeds to mimic the movements of disabled reporter Serge Kovaleski*

Outlaw Pete: "He didn't mock the disabled"
    Get some new material.
    Billy Mays wrote: »
    Another one who excuses mocking the disabled

##Mod Note##

Cut out the bickering please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

golfball37 wrote: »
    President Trump is most welcome here in County Clare I can assure the national media and twittwrati. Unlike others he provides employment here instead of empty populist messages.

It's either naivety or propaganda to claim, on behalf of all people in Clare, that everyone there welcomes him. Your assertion was already blown out of the water by some of the many interviews on different radio stations throughout the day with locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I just don't get why Trump protesters(and I regard Trump as an ignorant b****x) don't also protest when the leaders of France or Germany who are among the biggest of arms dealers and creators of misery around the world come to Ireland.

I don't think anyone is protesting arms sales but the states are far ahead in that category regardless

chartoftheday_16369_west_arms_sales_n.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's either naivety or propaganda to claim, on behalf of all people in Clare, that everyone there welcomes him. Your assertion was already blown out of the water by some of the many interviews on different radio stations throughout the day with locals.

I think it's fair to say that he would be welcomed in Doonbeg as outside of the hotel and the associated revenue from golfers around the town there's not a lot else going on there.

In the rest of Clare I wouldn't see him being any more or less welcome than he is elsewhere in the country to be honest.

Protests against Trump are pointless in my view.

He thrives on attention - So , give him none , utterly ignore him - Empty roads , no one paying him the slightest attention would be far more damaging to his ego than anything else.

(Not that anything happening in Ireland would have an impact on the global stage anyway)

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »

I’ve not met one neighbor, family member or colleague who is anything other than positively disposed to this visit. Of course I don’t speak for everyone only myself and my experience. I just hope the President takes time out to go into Doonbeg village where he will see the real Ireland who welcome guests with affinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I'm from & live in Clare (not Doonbeg) and I don't want the partially shaved orangutan here

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    In the rest of Clare I wouldn't see him being any more or less welcome than he is elsewhere in the country to be honest.

Exactly, many (most?) just don't care if he's there or not and couldn't be arsed going out to welcome or protest against him, same as the rest of the country.
    I’ve not met one neighbor, family member or colleague who is anything other than positively disposed to this visit. Of course I don’t speak for everyone only myself and my experience. I just hope the President takes time out to go into Doonbeg village where he will see the real Ireland who welcome guests with affinity.

It's not the 'real Ireland', it's an oddity because of the business that's located there.
    I'm from & live in Clare (not Doonbeg) and I don't want the partially shaved orangutan here

You're obviously not real so, apparently.

It cheap to keep Trump for getting upset and doing whatever takes his fancy. I agree that the money could be used for homeless etc but Trump has shown that he is pretty easy to manipulate and making him feel special is the key to that.

It would have been churlish to deny it, given he owns the course anyway and was on his travels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The main reason he is liked in Clare is jobs. You would not be leaping out of your seats to welcome if it were not for doonbeg. It also doesn't suddenly make his behaviour as president into something that is okay...

batgoat wrote: »
    The main reason he is liked in Clare is jobs. You would not be leaping out of your seats to welcome if it were not for doonbeg.

And tbf, I can totally see why they don't want to cause an issue. We all need to live.

But on the flipside, I also completely understand why other people do want to protest. Whilst those in Doonbeg are getting some benefit, the rest of us are simply paying the price.

As others have pointed out, it is not to make any difference with Trump himself. He doesn't care about people in his own country why would he care about here when he simply avoids seeing them. But it is aimed at the local and country politicians to express displeasure at how Trump is behaving and treating the world. We want to try to avoid slipping into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is protesting arms sales but the states are far ahead in that category regardless

chartoftheday_16369_west_arms_sales_n.jpg

So according to RealDan's logic, we should be protesting the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

It is interesting though that despite the over whelming anti Trump sentiment nationally, that in a small corner of Ireland where he has injected money and employment that sentiment begins to change. Some of those benefitting economically from his employment begin to turn a blind eye to the man's many failings. In a way it becomes a small microcosm of America.

It's a bit of an eye opener to see how quickly a few euro will make people turn a blind eye to their principles, even here despite our more liberal leanings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,301 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It is interesting though that despite the over whelming anti Trump sentiment nationally, that in a small corner of Ireland where he has injected money and employment that sentiment begins to change. Some of those benefitting economically from his employment begin to turn a blind eye to the man's many failings. In a way it becomes a small microcosm of America.

It's a bit of an eye opener to see how quickly a few euro will make people turn a blind eye to their principles, even here despite our more liberal leanings.

Like auld C.J., loved in Dingle for "looking after them", despised almost everywhere else. It's not really new or surprising.

Principles! You're kidding me. You live in a country where there are thousands homeless and yet if any government asked for a small percentage tax increase to eliminate homelessness they would be run out of office! And those same people who would not pay the money to aleviate homelessness wouldn't bat an eyelid never mind protest if Doonbeg was turned into an abandoned wasteland.

• Advertisement

batgoat wrote: »
    The main reason he is liked in Clare is jobs. You would not be leaping out of your seats to welcome if it were not for doonbeg. It also doesn't suddenly make his behaviour as president into something that is okay...

I realise trying to keep election promises and delivering on what he promised constitutes not okay for leaders in this part of the world but I don't have a problem with any of that.

The American people chose to elect him and presumably will chose not to next year if he is doing such a terrible job. It’s not really our business either way.

He is not waging unjust international wars like GW Bush or killing civilians indiscriminately with drone strikes like Obama or in the case of the Chinese whitewashing a massacre of their own people this week. Funny we had no protest when the Chinese delegation was here recently? No the Don’s crime is he speaks his mind and we can’t tolerate that above all else.

He is not waging unjust international wars like GW Bush or killing civilians indiscriminately with drone strikes like Obama

He actually is. He is very much agitating for a war in Iran, after having torn up an international agreement for no reason.

He has massively increased drone strikes, but unlike Obama, he has withdrawn the requirement to publish the number of civilian deaths so it looks like he is better. Ignorance does not equal better.

The American people chose to elect him

Not exactly, he lost the popular vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Some of those benefitting economically from his employment begin to turn a blind eye to the man's many failings. In a way it becomes a small microcosm of America.

Not really. He's not our president, and overweening self-importance may make people here feel like they have a say on US politics, but they don't.

It's just people wanting to feel good by jumping on a bandwagon, self evident by the lack of condemnation other foreign leaders get. I bet you if Kim Jong Un visited Ireland, there would be less than a few dozen protesters. Xi Jinping's visit took place with barely a murmur. So what principles, exactly?

From a pragmatic point of view I'm not sure exactly how wise it is to selectively target the leader of a country which is one of our largest investors, when that leader is known for being capricious and mercurial.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

everlast75 wrote: »
    You don't get it?

Because this guy spews bile multiple times on a daily basis, not through any filter of "MSM" or any other news site, but through his phone.

You cannot escape him. And whilst his supporters may blame the media for focusing their attention on him, he courts their attention - always has done, so there is no one to blame for that other than himself.

Whilst there may be an argument for protests against other leaders, they are not commanding the attention of the world by repeatedly causing chaos where ever he goes.

No chaos has been caused. None. Nothing has changed since he came into office.

Secondly you can avoid him if you just switch off the news (which most do).

Thirdly, it is not his fault the media cover him. The media chooses to focus on him. Most stories related to Trump are trivial nonsense and yet receive ridiculous attention by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I realise trying to keep election promises and delivering on what he promised constitutes not okay for leaders in this part of the world but I don't have a problem with any of that.

The American people chose to elect him and presumably will chose not to next year if he is doing such a terrible job. It’s not really our business either way.

He is not waging unjust international wars like GW Bush or killing civilians indiscriminately with drone strikes like Obama or in the case of the Chinese whitewashing a massacre of their own people this week. Funny we had no protest when the Chinese delegation was here recently? No the Don’s crime is he speaks his mind and we can’t tolerate that above all else.

Setting aside well-worn untruths such as Obama's drone strikes, there were protests when the Chinese delegation was here.

I was out by the airport earlier and every spare guard in the country must be out around there and every type of modern vehicle that the army and gardai have is on display. Good job the Passat is only two weeks out of tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Thirdly, it is not his fault the media cover him. The media chooses to focus on him. Most stories related to Trump are trivial nonsense and yet receive ridiculous attention by the media.

Nothing has changed since Trump got into office? Okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Christy42

Your facts are off. Like really badly off for someone going so passive aggressive in the opening paragraph. Many more drones than Obama.

The Chinese government is terrible. There is no doubt about that. So why protest. The Irish government is well aware of the Irish opinion on this.

This protest is about Trump but for the Irish government. Ireland has been traditionally close to the US. This is showing there is a bigger gap now in our values since Trump was elected and informing our elected leaders of the fact that people feel that the US has regressed.

• Advertisement

So he is the most ineffective president ever? Is that your stance?

Things have changed. See Leroy's post. The international position of the US has changed dramatically. See their relationships with Russia, China, Mexico, the E.U, Nato etc etc

So I should ignore what he is doing? Your advice is that I should effectively stick my fingers in my ears, rather than pay attention to the most powerful man in the world?

Again, your point is, with respect, utter nonsense, for the same reasons why you think I should ignore him and what he does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement