Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

golfball37 wrote: »
    I realise trying to keep election promises and delivering on what he promised constitutes not okay for leaders in this part of the world but I don't have a problem with any of that.

The American people chose to elect him and presumably will chose not to next year if he is doing such a terrible job. It’s not really our business either way.

He is not waging unjust international wars like GW Bush or killing civilians indiscriminately with drone strikes like Obama or in the case of the Chinese whitewashing a massacre of their own people this week. Funny we had no protest when the Chinese delegation was here recently? No the Don’s crime is he speaks his mind and we can’t tolerate that above all else.

About Doonbeg. It existed before Trump and it will exist after him. No need to sanctify him for running the place.
    As for protesting, but but Obama, but but the Chinese, but but anyone else, had you paid a bit of attention it may not have escaped you they're not visiting, Trump is.
    About dealing arms
    Germany has stopped all arms sales to Saudi Arabia due to the crisis in Yemen

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-extends-ban-on-arms-sales-to-saudi-arabia/a-48107734

Whilst Trump declared an emergency in order to bypass Congress so arms deals to Saudi Arabia can continue.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/24/politics/trump-arms-sales-saudi-arabia-uae/index.html

So anyone who says "Trump is not a warmonger" and "what about dem other guys selling arms", would you like some ketchup for those words?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I’ve not met one neighbor, family member or colleague who is anything other than positively disposed to this visit. Of course I don’t speak for everyone only myself and my experience. I just hope the President takes time out to go into Doonbeg village where he will see the real Ireland who welcome guests with affinity.

There is about >< this much chance of Trump going to the Doonbeg village. He has no interest in the village, no interest in interacting with people other than his own narrow need to. Only if it ingratiates him.

He doesnt even have the political nuance to see what such a thing would be for friendly relations. What people like yourself are doing is confusing what an actual president would do (Obama for example) versus a born into CEO role self publicising narcissist.

So yes good luck with him popping down the local to have a pint with the locals. Its not in him. ( im aware he doesnt drink)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

listermint wrote: »
    There is about >< this much chance of Trump going to the Doonbeg village. He has no interest in the village, no interest in interacting with people other than his own narrow need to. Only if it ingratiates him.

He doesnt even have the political nuance to see what such a thing would be for friendly relations. What people like yourself are doing is confusing what an actual president would do (Obama for example) versus a born into CEO role self publicising narcissist.

So yes good luck with him popping down the local to have a pint with the locals. Its not in him. ( im aware he doesnt drink)

He's terrified of seeing protestors. They would burst his bubble. On the topic, I just read about the Trump supporter that stabbed the Trump baby balloon, injuring herself in the process. It really is like someone is writing this and we are just watching a satirical show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

MrFresh wrote: »
    He's terrified of seeing protestors. They would burst his bubble. On the topic, I just read about the Trump supporter that stabbed the Trump baby balloon, injuring herself in the process. It really is like someone is writing this and we are just watching a satirical show.

It gets more ridiculous, she's a member of Britain First...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hopefully the rain means he wont get a chance to play any golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

All that's needed now is those power to the people politicians Mick Wallace & Claire Daly (who between them will be trousering €450k per year) coming to Doonbeg and telling the people of Doonbeg that they should be ashamed of themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

All that's needed now is those power to the people politicians Mick Wallace & Claire Daly (who between them will be trousering €450k per year) coming to Doonbeg and telling the people of Doonbeg that they should be ashamed of themselves!

Absolutely nothing to do with the either the right of people to protest or the reasons as to why one might protest against the arrival of Trump.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Russian mafia money flowing through Doonbeg.
    Just who is it he’s meeting at his golf course today? You’d wonder

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/trump-inquiry-hears-claim-of-russian-mafia-money-link-to-doonbeg-1.3361639?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Russian mafia money flowing through Doonbeg.
    Just who is it he’s meeting at his golf course today? You’d wonder

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/trump-inquiry-hears-claim-of-russian-mafia-money-link-to-doonbeg-1.3361639?mode=amp

I really hope somebody has been monitoring the comings and goings from the Hotel for the last few days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I wonder if the figures look different for arms sales if quantity is taken into account vs cost. An AK-74 is cheaper to produce than a an M-4, a T-72 cheaper than an M1 Abrams. Support contracts also can make a huge difference in cost.

The Germans, for example, sell far more tanks around the world than the Americans do. However, a lot of them are refurbishments of the old tank stock that they had created in the Cold War, whereas many of the Abrams sales have been new production.

Unfortunately, the best book on the subject, which covers the numbers and nature of the equipment as opposed to raw dollar values, costs some $500. (The Military Balance)

If anyone wants to donate some money to the cause, buy below, let us know.

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Balance-International-Institute-Strategic/dp/1857439880

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,758 ✭✭✭✭Penn

VinLieger wrote: »
    I really hope somebody has been monitoring the comings and goings from the Hotel for the last few days.

I think so far it's just been Shane Ross trying to get standing behind Trump for photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I wonder if the figures look different for arms sales if quantity is taken into account vs cost. An AK-74 is cheaper to produce than a an M-4, a T-72 cheaper than an M1 Abrams. Support contracts also can make a huge difference in cost.

The Germans, for example, sell far more tanks around the world than the Americans do. However, a lot of them are refurbishments of the old tank stock that they had created in the Cold War, whereas many of the Abrams sales have been new production.

Unfortunately, the best book on the subject, which covers the numbers and nature of the equipment as opposed to raw dollar values, costs some $500. (The Military Balance)

If anyone wants to donate some money to the cause, buy below, let us know.

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Balance-International-Institute-Strategic/dp/1857439880

Good post but I can't see any protesters being arsed about that. OTOH Trump saying he grabbed someone by the P***y! now there's a reason to protest!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It seems that Don may have backed away from his "NHS is part of the deal" talk as he told Piers Morgan on a Good Morning Britain interview.

During the interview, the US President rowed back on his suggestion that access for US firms to the NHS must be part of talks for a post-Brexit trade deal. Mr Trump had used a joint appearance with Theresa May to say that the NHS would be "on the table" as part of a "phenomenal" potential transatlantic deal. But in a U-turn he used a major TV interview to say "I don't see it being on the table" as the NHS was "something that I would not consider part of trade". .The pre-recorded segment took place in the Churchill War Rooms in London. I've snipped out the part of the Piers to Don gift of Churchill hat as irrelevant.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7104153/Piers-Morgan-gets-interview-Trump-hes-UK.html

@ManicMoran: Jane's weapons.... Edit. the Jane link also covers female Tank-tops, the joys of computer linkage between word-use.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Trump: "Now the poor guy, you gotta see this guy"

*Proceeds to mimic the movements of disabled reporter Serge Kovaleski*

Outlaw Pete: "He didn't mock the disabled"

Let people just see the clip:

Assuming Trump was mocking the reporter for his disability is a leap. But unsurprising for the many who are just constantly dying to see the very worst in Trump. We don't even know if Trump had any idea the man in question had a disability. He claims he didn't. He was criticizing him for (as he saw it) being caught in a lie. Just like some people want to believe the "he called Nazis very fine people" hoax, some will want to ASSUME Trump was mocking this person for his disability, as opposed to simply mocking someone (who happens to have a disability) for their actions. But hey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

listermint wrote: »

Actually, I could see him doing a trip to the village so long as it is festooned with pro-Trump banners and bunting and so long as he could have his P.R. team take some "They love me bigly in Ireland" videos that he could play as part of his 2020 election campaign.

The drone strikes by Obama and Trump don't receive enough attention!

Irish people should be horrified by the drone strikes ordered by successive US presidents. Their party affiliation should be irrelevant to us.

Now THAT I can agree with 100%.

The problem now of course is that Trump has instigated new regulations that prevent information on the impact of drone strikes being reported at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

There are less than 20 people outside Shannon Airport protesting as I type. There are more out on side street of Doonbeg hoping to see the president. How will RTÉ spin this one?

How is this even relevant to this thread, which is about Donald Trump's Presidency, and has zilch to do with Wallace and Daly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

There are less than 20 people outside Shannon Airport protesting as I type. There are more out on side street of Doonbeg hoping to see the president. How will RTÉ spin this one?

They'll most likely just report that he was greeted by protesters at the airport and greeted by supporters in doonbeg. That's what RTE has been doing for ages despite the whining about "fake news" by that whinging twitter guy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

manual_man wrote: »
    Let people just see the clip:

Assuming Trump was mocking the reporter for his disability is a leap. But unsurprising for the many who are just constantly dying to see the very worst in Trump. We don't even know if Trump had any idea the man in question had a disability. He claims he didn't. He was criticizing him for (as he saw it) being caught in a lie. Just like some people want to believe the "he called Nazis very fine people" hoax, some will want to ASSUME Trump was mocking this person for his disability, as opposed to simply mocking someone (who happens to have a disability) for their actions. But hey

He'd met and been interviewed by the guy on several occasions in the past.

Also , his "actions" in the clip are an almost exact reproduction of the manifestation of the journalists disability.

He knew EXACTLY what he was doing and why he was doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I cannot get over how much work his supporters have to put in, to have to constantly defend what he says or does, or make excuses, or explain away what he meant to say, to imagine false equivalencies, or how what he said was taken out of context.

It must truly be truly exhausting.

Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They won't spin it. Trump is big for the economy out that way. Why would they spoil that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Assuming Trump wasn't mocking the man's disability is the only leap being made here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But, I thought Trump was the man that said it as it is. That isn't afraid of all the PC nonsense.

It seems very much to me that Trump doesn't ever say anything at all, that everything he says can be interpreted any number of ways.

But if that is true, if his supporters are so sure that those that don't like are simply twisting his words and actions to suit their own agenda, then how can they be certain that how they are interpreting him is any more true?

How can they be cure that he really is speaking for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The media not reflecting the vast apathy of this visit.

No one cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

The Nal wrote: »
    They won't spin it. Trump is big for the economy out that way. Why would they spoil that?

Don't buy that one.
    If he didn't own the golf course someone else would.
    Not like it would be left empty or unused,

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He'd met and been interviewed by the guy on several occasions in the past.

Proof? Or are you just mimicking assertions that have been made with no factual evidence?

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Assuming Trump wasn't mocking the man's disability is the only leap being made here

I'm not assuming one way or the other

Assumption is the mother of all f**k-ups, as someone very wisely once said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I noticed that the American flag was flying at half mast at the ambassadors residence in the Phoenix park while I was on my way to the Bloom festival on Monday - was he in mourning for the upcoming visit of his boss?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

manual_man wrote: »
    Proof? Or are you just mimicking assertions that have been made with no factual evidence?

https://www.snopes.com/news/2016/07/28/donald-trump-criticized-for-mocking-disabled-reporter/
    Trump’s claims to non-memory were widely considered to be disingenuous, as Kovaleski had covered Trump extensively while working for the Daily News from 1987 to 1993 and had interviewed and talked to the business magnate numerous times during that period:

Donald and I were on a first-name basis for years. I’ve interviewed him in his office. I’ve talked to him at press conferences. All in all, I would say around a dozen times, I’ve interacted with him as a reporter while I was at The Daily News.

Trump has a habit of denying first, particularly when it comes to people; "I don't know him, I never met him" is a pretty common mantra. If he has never heard of the person, then they're "losers", or "low IQ individuals".

And that's ignoring the fact that Trump has literally not made those physical gestures when talking about anyone else, in any interview. He was mocking the guy's disability, it's pretty stark.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement