Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The man THREE TIMES said that he didn't know "THAT" in reference to her comment (about leaving the US should he be elected) and so when he says "No, no, I don't know that, I didn't know she was nasty" he clearly means that he didn't know she was nasty ABOUT HIM.

So you quote what he says and then add on some 'context' to clearly state what he meant, even though you have no idea what he meant. Did he ask you before he said it? Has he talked to you since? Again, this is a man that has the best words, the best education, but it falls to people like you to try and interpret what he said?
    Why would what he didn't know suddenly change from not knowing about her comment, to then in the next breath be suddenly that he did not know she was a nasty individual? It makes zero damn sense but yet you have people on here falling over themselves to backslap each other for posting such nonsense.

Are you for real? You know a person in the pub. Your mate tells you that last week he heard that guy call you all sort of things. So you only just heard about the comment but what? it would take you a while to fully evaluate the person character before making any statement on it? Give me a break.
    I wouldn't mind, but he said what he did in a calm and friendly tone and followed it up by complimenting her and saying he thought it was a good thing to have an American princess and that he felt she would do excellently..... right after calling HER nasty?? :P

He lies openly all the time, with a straight face. His demenour tells you nothing.

It was clear, when you don't take the sentence out of context, but sure it would be great if he was more articulate than he is, but he's not and just because he's not, doesn't give people carte blanche to take advantage of that and suggest the guy meant things which it's abundantly clear he did not.

No it doesn't, but surely it is only fair to judge people on what they say. What are you proposing? That people can say whatever they like, but claim a mulligan later on? This is a man that has been in court cases. He has the best PR people working for him. Yet his continually says things he didn't mean.

Come on. I am judging him by what he says, you are making up all sorts of caveats to try to excuse him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

stoneill wrote: »
    I noticed that the American flag was flying at half mast at the ambassadors residence in the Phoenix park while I was on my way to the Bloom festival on Monday - was he in mourning for the upcoming visit of his boss?

US flags on Federal facilities to include "embassies, legations, consular offices and other facilities abroad" were ordered to half-staff 01-04 June as a mark of respect to the victims of the Virginia Beach shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Christy42 wrote: »
    Ah yes he didn't call all Mexican's immigrants. Just heavily suggested that the vast majority of Mexican illegal immigrants are rapists. So much better.

Show me a quote from Trump that could reasonably be inferred as him suggesting that the "vast majority" (your words) of Mexican immigrants are rapists..... as opposed to him just citing the fact that a portion of them are.

US flags on Federal facilities to include "embassies, legations, consular offices and other facilities abroad" were ordered to half-staff 01-04 June as a mark of respect to the victims of the Virginia Beach shooting.

what an odd county the US is. The fly flags half mast when products they fight to have freely available are used for the purpose they were made for. And then do absolutely nothing to stop it happening again.

I see that the deputy that stood outside the school has been arrested and is now the scapegoat for everybody to blame. Not the politicians that fail again and again to deal with the issue. Not the NRA. Not the people who claim that freedom means they must have guns.

So it turns out having armed guards doesn't always stop the massacres. Must mean we need more guards, or maybe more guns. Anything but actually restrict peoples access to guns.

But fly the flag at half mast so that those holding the guns to cover their shame at putting their pastime ahead of the lives of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Christy42

It has zero to do with what I think he meant as it is clear what he meant, to anyone that doesn't have an agenda at least.

The man THREE TIMES said that he didn't know "THAT" in reference to her comment (about leaving the US should he be elected) and so when he says "No, no, I don't know that, I didn't know she was nasty" he clearly means that he didn't know she was nasty ABOUT HIM.

Why would what he didn't know suddenly change from not knowing about her comment, to then in the next breath be suddenly that he did not know she was a nasty individual? It makes zero damn sense but yet you have people on here falling over themselves to backslap each other for posting such nonsense.

I wouldn't mind, but he said what he did in a calm and friendly tone and followed it up by complimenting her and saying he thought it was a good thing to have an American princess and that he felt she would do excellently..... right after calling HER nasty?? :P

I suggest listening again, this time paying particular attention to his tone and what he says right before and after it:

https://twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1134809885957414917

It was clear, when you don't take the sentence out of context, but sure it would be great if he was more articulate than he is, but he's not and just because he's not, doesn't give people carte blanche to take advantage of that and suggest the guy meant things which it's abundantly clear he did not.

He has the best words remember.

No one is holding Trump to more than his own standards.

If he didn't have form I could see the benefit of the doubt but he has form. And more specifically he has form of using unclear statements to his own benefit, essentially allowing the viewer to pick their favourite interpretation. We know schoolyard insults are part of his playbook when attacked.

So he does not get the benefit of the doubt. His job involves dealing with people from around the world on sensitive issues. Being articulate should be a prerequisite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

This has been debunked numerous times.

Watch the following clip and you will see that he has made the same gestures (and sounds) when mocking people over the years:

So the defence is Trump's is an equal opportunity gob****e? Since he's been openly mocking people for years and continues to do so while POTUS; does that in anyway make you question his fitness for the office?

Show me a quote from Trump that could reasonably be inferred as him suggesting that the "vast majority" (your words) of Mexican immigrants are rapists..... as opposed to him just citing the fact that a portion of them are.
    When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

Here you go. Some, in your world, means a majority?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Christy42

"They're rapists, And some, I assume, are good people.".

Now tell me. Do you really, actually think that suggests a majority are good people? He is definitive on the rapist part. His language suggests he is guessing that some are good people (since he has to assume). Some does not suggest he is talking about a majority.

The only way to suggest that that isn't calling a majority rapists is to assume he was speaking a different language that happens to sound like English.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Might as well have them permanently at half mast then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

They should keep them at half mast then given the number of mass shootings they constantly have in the US.
    It is always about thoughts and prayers and gestures like flags at half mast that the Americans come up with instead of actually taking action to curb the gun violence. Shameful really.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He'd met and been interviewed by the guy on several occasions in the past.

Yeah, so I keep hearing but can you link to one of these interview, some video footage or even images of them together?

Be interested in seeing them, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

eire4 wrote: »
    They should keep them at half mast then given the number of mass shootings they constantly have in the US.
    It is always about thoughts and prayers and gestures like flags at half mast that the Americans come up with instead of actually taking action to curb the gun violence. Shameful really.

More gun laws = less massacres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭eire4

and less profits for the gun manufacturers.

MrFresh wrote: »
    Ah so he wasn't mocking this disabled person personally, he just mocks people he doesn't like as being disabled. Or am I grasping at straw, as the man says?

Yup, grasping.
    The Nal wrote: »
    Its his standard mocking gesture. People still outraged.

Aye but not genuinely outraged, just mock outraged, so that it can used sanctimoniously to try and topple him from power, anything at all will do.

An example of that is when Meryl Streep gave a speech at the Golden Globes and milked the false accusation fall all it was worth:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,951 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Berserker wrote: »
    The US reporters were the loudest of all. Turnout at the Shannon protest is very low according to TV3. Doubt there's one hundred people in attendance judging by the latest pictures. Why is the other protest being held in Dublin? Trump isn't going to be in Dublin.

It would mean they would have to leave Dublin.

I am no fan of Trump but he is hear as the president of America an as such we need to show some level of respect as he will not allway be the president and we should keep relations. I do hope he is defeat in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yeah, so I keep hearing but can you link to one of these interview, some video footage or even images of them together?

Be interested in seeing them, cheers.

Kovaleski says it was between 1987 and 1993 that they were in contact through his job at the time, and that he's certain Trump could not fail to remember him and his medical condition. Are you saying he's lying?

Anyway it's been confirmed by other journalists who were around at the time:

Another witness contradicts Donald Trump's claims about disabled reporter/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭volchitsa

An example of that is when Meryl Streep gave a speech at the Golden Globes and milked the false accusation fall all it was worth:

Oh this is another false accusation, is it? Like where he didn't say that Meghan was nasty? Only of course he did. He's so unlucky that he keeps getting recorded saying and doing these things that he never actually said. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XUr5R3LQZg

Such an inordinate amount of waffle and bull**** from Trump.

"Brexit will all work out very well, with you, with your wall, your border"
    1. He has no idea of the "wall" problem between the Republic and Northern Ireland. He has no knowledge of the history of 'the troubles', something which would have taken one hour to read up on.

"We love the Irish"
    2. He has actively moved to deport non-documented Irish people from the US, some of whom have been there for years and have now been deported.
    3. He has attacked the Irish corporation tax rate again and again and attempted to reduce the US tax rate below Ireland's, only to be pushed back by his colleagues at the last moment.

"My great friend the Prime Minister"
    4. The gay Prime Minister as Trump rolls back legislation allowing the adoption rights of gay couples.

I'm less than two minutes into this utter sh*te.

I'm not watching a second more of this moron waffle his way through meeting our Taoiseach. The disrespect he has towards Ireland as to do the minimal research would be shocking of a Junior Cert student.

This entire trip of Trump has done nothing but to reveal what an empty-headed clown he is. Thank god we are meeting him in Shannon Airport, kudos to Varadkar for not meeting on his golf course.

Good thing Varadkar didn't challenge him on anything, lest we be hit with 99% tariffs on Kerrygold as retribution for slagging Snowflake Trump.

How I wished one of the Irish journalists would ask him his opinion of the Tayto Warlords invading the borders of Banshee Bones?

"Well, the Tayto Warlords are very fine people am I am a big supporter of them, a lot of people say that,......."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Why wouldn't you believe Donald Trump, the man who's told over 10,000 lies since he became president over a Pulitzer prize winning journalist?

And before anyone suggests he's a partisan hack he won the Pulitzer for his work on the Eliot Spitzer (a democrat) prostitution scandal

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So you quote what he says and then add on some 'context'...

Eh, I didn't add the context? I am just citing it. Listen to the interview.

Here's the man himself saying precisely what I have:

https://twitter.com/CineIreland/status/1136323136708915202

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The Guardian, of all places, had an article two days ago about the remarkable drop in gun violence in some of California's most dangerous cities. To the amazement of some, the credit is primarily being given to addressing the cause of the violence, not the guns.

The common context among each of these cities – Richmond, Oakland, and San Francisco – is that they have adopted community-driven, non-law enforcement approaches, and they’ve been robustly funded,” said DeVone Boggan, who lead Richmond’s Office of Neighborhood Safety as it developed a nationally recognized fellowship program for men at highest risk of violence.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2019/jun/03/gun-violence-bay-area-drop-30-percent-why-investigation?fbclid=IwAR2duKrdcYnxjivMIVNt3sRQlSs92blIz4rUCHI7IqSV_vdHcyQpg3hEzNs

The other interesting thing to note about the Virginia Beach shooting is the basic lack of publicity the shooter is getting. VB has apparently decided to pay attention to the psychologists. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/us/dewayne-craddock-va-beach-shooting.html

The intentional effort to deny killers attention represents a sharp departure from how information about mass shootings was disseminated in the era before they became so common. It reflects the growing evidence that perpetrators are driven by a desire for fame. And it is also one of the few concrete steps public officials can take to avert what is known as the copycat effect, especially as new data confirms that many assailants are influenced by information about previous attackers.

Very disappointing performance from the journalists at Shannon.

A good first question would have been on who pays his tariffs. Second question being, "no that's a lie, who pays the tariffs?"

Not yet has any journalist pushed him on this.

Yet he keeps spouting this lie.

Where's Mr. Hasan when you need him: https://twitter.com/i/status/1062706401804455937

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XUr5R3LQZg

Such an inordinate amount of waffle and bull**** from Trump.

"Brexit will all work out very well, with you, with your wall, your border"
    1. He has no idea of the "wall" problem between the Republic and Northern Ireland. He has no knowledge of the history of 'the troubles', something which would have taken one hour to read up on.

"We love the Irish"
    2. He has actively moved to deport non-documented Irish people from the US, some of whom have been there for years and have now been deported.
    3. He has attacked the Irish corporation tax rate again and again and attempted to reduce the US tax rate below Ireland's, only to be pushed back by his colleagues at the last moment.

"My great friend the Prime Minister"
    4. The gay Prime Minister as Trump rolls back legislation allowing the adoption rights of gay couples.

I'm less than two minutes into this utter sh*te.

I'm not watching a second more of this moron waffle his way through meeting our Taoiseach. The disrespect he has towards Ireland as to do the minimal research would be shocking of a Junior Cert student.

This entire trip of Trump has done nothing but to reveal what an empty-headed clown he is. Thank god we are meeting him in Shannon Airport, kudos to Varadkar for not meeting on his golf course.

Good thing Varadkar didn't challenge him on anything, lest we be hit with 99% tariffs on Kerrygold as retribution for slagging Snowflake Trump.

How I wished one of the Irish journalists would ask him his opinion of the Tayto Warlords invading the borders of Banshee Bones?

"Well, the Tayto Warlords are very fine people am I am a big supporter of them, a lot of people say that,......."

Did he call him "Prime Minister"?

If so, I guess Taoiseach is not one of the best words, so there is no need to bother learning it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Guardian, of all places, had an article two days ago about the remarkable drop in gun violence in some of California's most dangerous cities. To the amazement of some, the credit is primarily being given to addressing the cause of the violence, not the guns.

The common context among each of these cities – Richmond, Oakland, and San Francisco – is that they have adopted community-driven, non-law enforcement approaches, and they’ve been robustly funded,” said DeVone Boggan, who lead Richmond’s Office of Neighborhood Safety as it developed a nationally recognized fellowship program for men at highest risk of violence.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2019/jun/03/gun-violence-bay-area-drop-30-percent-why-investigation?fbclid=IwAR2duKrdcYnxjivMIVNt3sRQlSs92blIz4rUCHI7IqSV_vdHcyQpg3hEzNs

The other interesting thing to note about the Virginia Beach shooting is the basic lack of publicity the shooter is getting. VB has apparently decided to pay attention to the psychologists. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/us/dewayne-craddock-va-beach-shooting.html

The intentional effort to deny killers attention represents a sharp departure from how information about mass shootings was disseminated in the era before they became so common. It reflects the growing evidence that perpetrators are driven by a desire for fame. And it is also one of the few concrete steps public officials can take to avert what is known as the copycat effect, especially as new data confirms that many assailants are influenced by information about previous attackers.

Ah so not talking about it stops them happening.

This sounds like a fabulous new angle from the gun lobby..

Don't you think ?

Did he call him "Prime Minister"?

If so, I guess Taoiseach is not one of the best words, so there is no need to bother learning it

Prime Minister is fine, that's the least of our worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Eh, I didn't add the context? I am just citing it. Listen to the interview.

Here's the man himself saying precisely what I have:

https://twitter.com/CineIreland/status/1136323136708915202

The man spends most of his day watching television reports concerning himself and he claims he didn't know she had said something about him. Unreal. I guess his explanation for the comment could be believable. I think he's used a similar excuse before.

volchitsa wrote: »
    Oh this is another false accusation, is it? Like where he didn't say that Meghan was nasty?

Yes... and he didn't call Meghan 'nasty' he said she was nasty ABOUT HIM... and that is what he "didn't know".
    Only of course he did. He's so unlucky that he keeps getting recorded saying and doing these things that he never actually said. :rolleyes:

The recording vindicates him, not implicates him, given he was nice about her and complimented her before and after making the remark about what she had SAID.

As I pointed out earlier, it's often claimed he has said or meant something which he clearly has not:
    Some more examples: that he mocked the disabled, that called Neo-Nazis fine people, all Mexicans rapists, immigrants "animals" (etc etc) and of course the biggest lie of all, that he colluded with the Russians to rig the presidential election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Did he say "I didn't know she was nasty" or "I didn't know she was nasty about me"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Trump on the Brexit border issue

"We have a border situation in the United States, and you have a border over here, but I hear it’s going to work out… it’s going to work out very well here."

The man is an absolute inarticulate spoofer. Fair play for getting this far I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Dunno where the 100 figure is coming from? There are less than 30 protestors at Shannon and even at that some are locals just having a gawk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement