Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Amazing how angry people get about the most irrelevant of things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Yawn

He did call Meghan Markle nasty. To be fair to Trump, he is consistent: it is usually non-white women he insults: Whoopi Goldberg, Maxine Waters, Michelle Obama, Meghan Markle, Oprah Winfrey, Omarosa Newman, Yamiche Alcindor, Abby Phillip, Lani Guinier, April Ryan, Melissa Chan, etc. etc. etc.

It is no coincidence.

Trump's admin has blocked already approved process to put the image of Harriet Tubman on the twenty dollar bill, but now suddenly blocked by Trump administration.

Blocked. Can you believe that? It is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yes... and he didn't call Meghan 'nasty' he said she was nasty ABOUT HIM... and that is what he "didn't know".
    He did not say the words "about me", you are lying.

He literally said that he didn't know she was nasty. Presumably because of what she said - but he decided she was nasty because of what she said. Which is mostly how people do reach an opinion about someone anyway.

The recording vindicates him, not implicates him, given he was nice about her and complimented her before and after making the remark about what she had SAID.

As I pointed out earlier, it's often claimed he has said or meant something which he clearly has not:
    I don't agree that it shows anything other than someone struggling a bit in an interview to sound coherent. And he does struggle a lot in interviews.

But for the third time, at least - he said nothing about what she said, he made a comment about her.

It's all he ever does actually - he cannot let a name pass without making a comment about what he thinks of that person. It's very striking. Clearly his whole world view is so centred on himself that he thinks the most important thing about, well, anyone, is what he thinks of them.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Trump on the Brexit border issue

"We have a border situation in the United States, and you have a border over here, but I hear it’s going to work out… it’s going to work out very well here."

The man is an absolute inarticulate spoofer. Fair play for getting this far I guess.

Not fair play, anyone can spot a weakness in democracy and bring it down to it's knees. Usually it is an individual's moral compass which prevents total debasement.

This is quite old now, but I always thought was an excellent report on Trump and the future of the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6_ckWZCHW4

If anything, it seems more accurate now than ever.

This is also my local news show now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Amazing how angry people get about the most irrelevant of things.

Exactly. Just like the Irish loons who get angry over a President of a completely different country who has done absolutely nothing bad to our country.

Exactly. Just like the Irish loons who get angry over a President of a completely different country who has done absolutely nothing bad to our country.

You know some people think beyond their parish limits. Has he done nothing bad to our country? Maybe you should read a newspaper boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

You know some people think beyond their parish limits. Has he done nothing bad to our country? Maybe you should read a newspaper boy.

Maybe you should stop tuning into Pat Kenny on a daily basis..boy....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

golfball37 wrote: »
    Dunno where the 100 figure is coming from? There are less than 30 protestors at Shannon and even at that some are locals just having a gawk

pictures show about 30 and most of them are just the usual unemployed 'boo shannon and us military planes' crowd, few antifa flags and a cuban flag on the go plus a few 'edgy' handwritten signs by people in repeal jumpers, thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

They're the ones who get angry with everything.
    Hope he enjoys his stay.
    Fair play to the people of Doonbeg. You are doing the country proud.

• Advertisement

What's your point about Trump? Cos I haven't seen a point? Just trolling. What's your point?

Protesters are "loons"?

Not good enough, this is the politics forum.

Someone ban this guy asap.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

Cut it out.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Aye only his own administration put us on white house list of trade threats. Not 2 weeks ago, something designed for trump to throw his weight around pre arrival.

You lads need to work harder. It's clear you haven't a breeze of the subject matter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

According to the Navy:

U.S. Navy's Seventh Fleet, Cmdr. Clay Doss, said: "The picture of the Tarp is from Friday and it was taken down on Saturday. Paint barge was also removed ahead of the visit. All ships remained in normal configuration during the President's visit.".

Presumably it shouldn't be hard to find a still or photo from the visit with the ship in the background.

That's not to say that someone in the White House may not have asked either with or without Trump's knowledge, but I really don't see the Navy going along with the idea.

In fairness, your assessment was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

ugh, looking at drumpf stumbling around in Shannonwith Leo, reminds me of when De Va Lera gave condolences to Hitler.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Dunno, more shouty and mildly aggro compared to other presidential pleasantries when one gets off a plane.

This is actually an element of the political landscape in the US that really annoys me! I don't carry any water for Trump, but I often think that the manner in which the Press shout and shriek across a forest of microphones owes more to throwing fish at a sea-lion party than to popping questions at a Head of State.

And yes, I know that the Press have Rights and all that, and that the freedom of the Press has legal protections under the 1st Amendment of the Constitution. And I also know that the current W.H. has greviously undermined the ability of the free press to do its job, by limiting fair access such that officials only seem to provide such access to Fox News and absolutely limits other outlets' access by their tactic of failure to hold daily or even regular, formal press briefings.

Having said all that, the screaming and shouting at huddles is appalling and has no legitimate role to play in a modern democracy. And that's not even to get into the extent to which such behaviour 'legitimises' screaming and shouting in society generally. Each side in the WH scrum plays that game to its own advantage, and it does absolutely nothing to serve the legitimate right of a Free Press that the 1st Amendment was intended to protect from Congressional over-reach. And,even more importantly, it does absolutely nothing to enhance the General Public's understanding of events.

So, for my money, I'd like to see the so- called Main Stream Media (often the target of gibes and attacks from non-MSM outlets) coming together and refusing to play the game anymore. It would no doubt take a few weeks or months, but if the 'other side' was deprived of the oxygen of MSM coverage, it might change how things are done once and for all!

If us Irish were blessed with any talents, it's the talent to spot a spoofer. Can anyone tell me Trump is not a spoofer?

His comments on Northern Ireland are eye-rolling. We, and Europe and Asia, are waiting for the real next American President to move in. If Trump is re-elected, everything changes.

Europe will look after it's own farmers and it's own Military. If Trump is not re-elected, things will get back to normal, no impending wars

I see pro-Trump posters use the term "MSM" a lot. Does Fox News not count as MSM?

One of these days, I'd actually love to see an authoritative and reliable source classify what media outlets and which ones are out of the MSM club. That way, I'd be better able to judge if some folks in US Government are targeting stuff I have read or seen, or if such stuff is not included in their opprobrium.

Pathetic journalism for those at Shannon, letting him away with lying yet again.

When will someone actually tackle his lies? Why is that such a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Pathetic journalism for those at Shannon, letting him away with lying yet again.

That's one of the baffling things about the never ending car crash that is Trump's presidency, the lack of any coherent attempt to hold him accountable for his utterings.
    He's not even a second rate conman and lies constantly. His communication style both verbal and written is not overly complex or grandiose. It's rambling and disjointed and amounts to little other soundbites, fabrications and playground insults. It should be relatively easy to dismiss his inane ramblings but most journalists seem powerless when in his presence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »
    Ah so not talking about it stops them happening.

Don't you think ?

Sometimes simple things can have a great effect.

Let's see. 30 years ago, more families had guns, there were a lot fewer gun laws. Spree shootings weren't a thing.

Since then, fewer families have guns, there are more gun laws, there is a breathless 24-hour news cycle and the internet, and psychologists have been saying for years that giving people fame simply encourages more shootings.

We have gun violence dropping in cities where people doing the good work are targeting the people, not the guns.

And despite the famous laws, in Australia today, four killed in a spree shooting by a convicted felon, on parole and wearing an ankle monitor, and using a weapon banned 13 years ago.

What does the logic trail indicate?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Guardian, of all places, had an article two days ago about the remarkable drop in gun violence in some of California's most dangerous cities. To the amazement of some, the credit is primarily being given to addressing the cause of the violence, not the guns.

The common context among each of these cities – Richmond, Oakland, and San Francisco – is that they have adopted community-driven, non-law enforcement approaches, and they’ve been robustly funded,” said DeVone Boggan, who lead Richmond’s Office of Neighborhood Safety as it developed a nationally recognized fellowship program for men at highest risk of violence.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2019/jun/03/gun-violence-bay-area-drop-30-percent-why-investigation?fbclid=IwAR2duKrdcYnxjivMIVNt3sRQlSs92blIz4rUCHI7IqSV_vdHcyQpg3hEzNs

The other interesting thing to note about the Virginia Beach shooting is the basic lack of publicity the shooter is getting. VB has apparently decided to pay attention to the psychologists. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/us/dewayne-craddock-va-beach-shooting.html

The intentional effort to deny killers attention represents a sharp departure from how information about mass shootings was disseminated in the era before they became so common. It reflects the growing evidence that perpetrators are driven by a desire for fame. And it is also one of the few concrete steps public officials can take to avert what is known as the copycat effect, especially as new data confirms that many assailants are influenced by information about previous attackers.

Indeed the decrease is welcome and the intervention is a key factor. However, from your Guardian article:

California has the strongest gun laws in the country, and it’s enacted more than 30 new gun control laws since 2009 alone, according to Robyn Thomas, the executive director of the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which tracks gun legislation nationwide.

Unfortunately, this slight decrease relates to California only. From another Guardian article in December 2018:

The CDC’s Wonder database shows that in 2017, 39,773 people in the US lost their lives at the point of a gun, marking the onward march of firearm fatalities in a country renowned for its lax approach to gun controls. When adjusted for age fluctuations, that represents a total of 12 deaths per 100,000 people – up from 10.1 in 2010 and the highest rate since 1996.

If there were less guns then there would be less gun deaths.

20Cent wrote: »
    Might as well have them permanently at half mast then.

I find that comment offensive in response to someone explaining that the flags are being flown at half- staff as a mark of respect.

By all means one can have views and opinions on the state of U.S. society, but really? As an adjunct to a comment explaining that a process marking respect for dead U.S. citizens is underway- does that really merit the comment you made?

Eh, I didn't add the context? I am just citing it. Listen to the interview.

Here's the man himself saying precisely what I have:

https://twitter.com/CineIreland/status/1136323136708915202

Yeah, that's the man himself saying what you've said. To the UK's equivalent of Sean Hannity, daaaays after his original comment (recorded on audio at least, and no-one is suggesting fraudulent editing)... I wonder, how much coaching did he get to respond to Piers Morgan's sycophantic and well- rehearsed ball- throwing?

Give me a break, and really, STOP with insulting our intelligence!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Let's see. 30 years ago, more families had guns, there were a lot fewer gun laws. Spree shootings weren't a thing.

Since then, fewer families have guns, there are more gun laws, there is a breathless 24-hour news cycle and the internet, and psychologists have been saying for years that giving people fame simply encourages more shootings.

We have gun violence dropping in cities where people doing the good work are targeting the people, not the guns.

And despite the famous laws, in Australia today, four killed in a spree shooting by a convicted felon, on parole and wearing an ankle monitor, and using a weapon banned 13 years ago.

There 390,000,000 guns in the USA. There is a gun for every man, woman and child. That is the only fact you need to think about. The logic trail is simple. If there are less guns then there will be less gun deaths.

It is interesting though that despite the over whelming anti Trump sentiment nationally, that in a small corner of Irelafeed hi childrennd where he has injected money and employment that sentiment begins to change. Some of those benefitting economically from his employment begin to turn a blind eye to the man's many failings. In a way it becomes a small microcosm of America.

It's a bit of an eye opener to see how quickly a few euro will make people turn a blind eye to their principles, even here despite our more liberal leanings.

Surely, that describes the history of our poor ould country from around 1 A.D. to perhaps 1968 A.D. Principles never never put beef on the table, said the famine- starved bothy- owner as he piled up cut grass to make Christmas dinner.

And there were the few gob****e reporters in Shannon who had chosen not to stay on in London or go ahead to Paris on expenses, and the Shannon folks failed totally to stop Trump from "lying" when absolutely NO-ONE from Washington to El-Paso has been able to do so...

Poor ould Ireland... failed again to hold back the Mongol hordes!

Not fair play, anyone can spot a weakness in democracy and bring it down to it's knees. Usually it is an individual's moral compass which prevents total debasement.

Actually, that's one of the better contributions I've seen on this forum. I fully agree, regardless of whether your views about Trump are in tandem with, or diametrically opposed to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If your going to use Australia as a comparison for gun deaths then I suggest you do a real deep check on how many have died since Australias famous laws and America for the same time period.

You can knock yourself out and do it over capita.

But since you are ingrained in gun culture I don't expect you to care much tbh. Amazing how it's supposed careful owners former or current military types that seem to come down so hard on sensible laws like background checks and medical certs.

• Advertisement

It really indicates that the Brisbane shooting is a total aberration and is a massive shout-out for gun- control as well as education.

According to a BBC report (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-48522788) "experts say what makes the Darwin case different is that it's the first mass shooting since then (1996) that was not isolated to one property and which used an illegal weapon." Mass shootings, according to the same report are "rare in Australia because, say experts, it has some of the toughest gun laws in the world."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement