Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump presidency discussion thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I still think the left need to come up with some policies and a candidate to win the 2020 election.

I dont think a conspiracy theory that Russian money is flowing through a golf course in Clare and implying Donald Trump met some Russians there during his visit is going to win anything.

You know he could always just release his tax returns, and prove them all wrong.

But, he doesn't need to. He deserves the benefit of the doubt, especially after Michael Cohen confirmed DJT is completely legit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I still think the left need to come up with some policies and a candidate to win the 2020 election.

I dont think a conspiracy theory that Russian money is flowing through a golf course in Clare and implying Donald Trump met some Russians there during his visit is going to win anything.

Nobody cares what you think. Genuinely nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Cody montana

nah, theyll continue down that path and then blame the russians or somebody else again when he gets a second term.

If not when.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yep the TRump Administration are matsers of long term planning and being able to adopt their plan on the fly to meet the socio economic changes that are constantly in play around the world.

The Fed made 6 cuts in Obamas first year 2008 ,
    And the Fed kept the rate at zero for the next 7 years between 2008-2015 , despite the recession officially ending in 2009.

Trump looks for 1 cut, Obama had 8 and Fed kept the rate at zero for his next 8 years of office, only an ardent anti-TRumper could think Trumps demands are somehow unreasonable.

I just think this post needs highlighting. It is just ridiculous.

Note the fed changes rates to suit the economy. They are not candies to be shared equally between children.

Obama took over in a recession and so the fed were dropping rates asap. They kept them to help the economy recover. When Obama got the economy back on its feet they raised them again to stop it overheating (again).

If Trump manages to create a recession he will get his rate drops.

we differ ..

your upset the American taxpayer got a bill for $3.6 million
    Im happy a few Irish taxpayers were on the recieving end of , I dont know lets say $3.6 million too (factoring in the revenue last week and future revenue based on the free publicity)

you call it sheckles , I call it a livelihood.

Trumps Irish golf holiday cost the Irish taxpayer €10 million.

Tell me again about draining the swamp and why exactly we shouldn’t be reembursed by the US government for this morons golf holiday?

• Advertisement

As usual the propagandist goes quiet when asked a basic question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Trumps Irish golf holiday cost the Irish taxpayer €10 million.

Tell me again about draining the swamp and why exactly we shouldn’t be reembursed by the US government for this morons golf holiday?

Careful now, they might look into our tax arrangements for us multinationals.

10 million is absolutely buttons compared to what the dept of finance takes in from them every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Careful now, they might look into our tax arrangements for us multinationals.

10 million is absolutely buttons compared to what the dept of finance takes in from them every year.

But whatabout isn't a constructive defence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

Nobody cares what you think. Genuinely nobody.

Trump barely won the 2016 election. He lost the popular vote by 2,868,686 votes. Since then, his approval rating has been historically low, lower than any President since ratings began.

He hasn't a hope in hell of winning the 2020 election, though nobody wants to say it, understandably for fear of lightening striking twice. It won't. The US people are energised to vote against him, he will lose by some distance in 2020, as the Republicans lost by historical margins in 2018.

Not only that, he has personally destroyed trust in the Republican party for decades to come. Their future candidates needs to reverse everything he did and compete against rising stars like Pete Buttigieg, Katie Porter and of course AOC. It will be at least three generations before this comes close to happening. In the meantime, the US will enjoy universal healthcare, third-level education and at last some stability.

While I am certain the white right of the US will rise again, they will be outnumbered by 2030 and the outlook for US politics has never been so bright. After the darkest night shines the brightest dawn.

As so often in politics, a man like Trump will wake the electorate to realise what they had before. The US will enjoy thirty years, at least, of equality, great healthcare and education for their children. Come 2040 they will have become some power once again.

Unless I am wrong and President Warren is tweeting about how badly Fox News treat her, and spends three hours every morning watching television and making up nicknames, or billing American taxpayers $109,000,000 to play golf. Or she may actually spend her time working for the people who elected her, can you imagine that.

The US President is billing the American people to play golf. Every weekend.

Let that settle

Why people aren’t storming the white house for that alone I’ll never understand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The US President is billing the American people to play golf. Every weekend.

Let that settle

Why people aren’t storming the white house for that alone I’ll never understand

As Seth Myers recently pointed out, the more time Trump is playing golf the less time he is ****ing up elsewhere. He should be forced to play three rounds a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I agree theres alot of questions to be answered..
    Who will the left blame when Trump II rolls into town ?
    Who are CNN going to trot out between 2020 and 2024 to continue their 24x7 attack on the TRump administration ?
    What form will the DNC take as its identity politics stance comes home to roost and they have their own identity crisis ?
    Who will write the NY Times bestsellers in 2021 on TRump and his admin, will Michael Wollf and Bob Woodward have another tome ?

Its certainly interesting times ahead ..

If my memory serves me right, Don did make it clear in the past that the failure of the FBI to detect/stop the Russian interference in US politics happened under the Obama Administration. So that brings up an awkward question: who will Don accuse and find accountable if the Russians continue [as the FBI under his Admin says is happening now] to interfere in US politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Seems like Kushner has been getting a load of cash on the sly from an unknown source. With the amount of debt he has he really is ripe for exploitation.... I could see him bringing down the administration.... Apparently he is not for known his great mind.... Didn’t shine academically in college

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

aloyisious wrote: »
    If my memory serves me right, Don did make it clear in the past that the failure of the FBI to detect/stop the Russian interference in US politics happened under the Obama Administration. So that brings up an awkward question: who will Don accuse and find accountable if the Russians continue [as the FBI under his Admin says is happening now] to interfere in US politics?

It goes to prove my rule. Everything Obama did was bad and wrong and the economy under him was the worst ever. You can guess what holds true for Trump.
    If Trump previously said that there is widespread Russian meddling in elections and after 2016 says Russian meddling is a hoax and conspiracy against him by the democrats, both those statements are 100% true.
    It is my belief that Trump doesn't accidently contradict himself on a constant basis, that way the Trump Bots can simply select whatever statement suits their current argument.
    You could write a script based on the above, nothing fancy, a few kilobytes and a subroutine to sprinkle your statements with some Fox and Breitbart quotes, bit of MAGA and Fake News! and you too can be a true Trump Fan.
    It's absolutely great, no thinking required, just follow a simple formula.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

aloyisious wrote: »

Yep in early 2016 the CIA warned both The REpublican and the Democratic National Committes to be wary of Russian hacking attempts.
    Its been accepted that the DNC took these warnings too lightly, I guess they all figured Hilary was a slam-dunk.
    The same hacking attempts that worked on the DNC (Podesta) , albeit not as persistent were attempted on the RNC, but got caught by better cyber security on the RNC servers.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/years-mitt-romney-finally-credit-warnings-russia/story?id=61330530
    In a striking political acknowledgment Tuesday, a former top Democratic foreign policy official revisited her comments from the turbulent 2012 presidential campaign and directly and openly said she owed then-Republican nominee Mitt Romney an apology. Madeleine Albright, who served as President Bill Clinton's secretary of state and supported President Barack Obama in the 2012 presidential election, apologized to Romney, then Obama's Republican opponent and now Utah's junior senator, for her repeated criticism of his claim that Russia was the country's "number one geopolitical foe," as he said during the campaign.

So yep , thats 2012.
    So yep it all happened under Obamas watch as his administration didnt take the Russian threat seriously and instead Obama sent his Secretary of State Hilary Clinto to Russia with a big red button, I mean literally a red button.
    The big part is fake news, it was tiny thing, but nonetheless a red button

Button gaffe embarrasses Clinton

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7930047.stm

People should pay attention to history more Russia has been interfering in AMerican politics for nearly 200 years, and vice versa.

Seems like Kushner has been getting a load of cash on the sly from an unknown source. With the amount of debt he has he really is ripe for exploitation.... I could see him bringing down the administration.... Apparently he is not for known his great mind.... Didn’t shine academically in college

All FBI and intelligence agencies have to be meticulously vetted so as to ensure that none of them are in financial hardship, as it is widely and understandably understood that such a person may be open to influence of compromise.

The same standard should apply for Kushner. He is heavily indebted as a result of 666 Fifth Avenue. It is plausible that government blockades assisted him in securing finance to help bail him out.

There is a reason why he was refused security clearance by the intelligence agencies. He filled out his clearance form over 35 times. Incidentally, Congress tried to investigate, and Trump is blocking them from doing so. (another item to place on the obstruction pile).

The idea was that the US president release their tax returns, for those reasons, but also to ensure that they did not personally profit from particular tax cuts, from the presidency itself or vested interests.

It is as plain as the nose on your face that this makes sense.

The idea therefore that Trump is fighting transparency on this front is egregious to everyone bar his most biased supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Yep in early 2016 the CIA warned both The REpublican and the Democratic National Committes to be wary of Russian hacking attempts.
    Its been accepted that the DNC took these warnings too lightly, I guess they all figured Hilary was a slam-dunk.
    The same hacking attempts that worked on the DNC (Podesta) , albeit not as persistent were attempted on the RNC, but got caught by better cyber security on the RNC servers.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/years-mitt-romney-finally-credit-warnings-russia/story?id=61330530

So yep , thats 2012.
    So yep it all happened under Obamas watch as his administration didnt take the Russian threat seriously and instead Obama sent his Secretary of State Hilary Clinto to Russia with a big red button, I mean literally a red button.

People should pay attention to history more Russia has been interfering in AMerican politics for nearly 200 years, and vice versa.

This is, at best, false equivalence and deflection. It is not the Democrats fault that Russia meddled in the 2016 election so that Trump would get elected and destroy the office pf POTUS. Albright apologising to Romney is a personal matter from years ago and has nothing to do with 2016 hacking. Wtf is this button rubbish? Oh, and Facebook and Twitter didn't exist 200 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

So yep , thats 2012.

Case in point

This is, at best, false equivalence and deflection. It is not the Democrats fault that Russia meddled in the 2016 election so that Trump would get elected and destroy the office pf POTUS. Albright apologising to Romney is a personal matter from years ago and has nothing to do with 2016 hacking. Wtf is this button rubbish? Oh, and Facebook and Twitter didn't exist 200 years ago.

I agree.. wtf was that button rubbish where the Obama administration sent the Secretary of State Hilary Clinton to meet Sergei Lavrov at a time of tension over Crimea, Ukraine etc , and she handed him a red button ... yeah wtf was that all about.

TRump Administration send 1500 more troops to Germany and the biggest shipment of tanks since the cold war to the Russian border.. Obama sent a red button and not even a big one .

https://www.newsweek.com/us-will-send-1500-more-troops-germany-despite-trumps-nato-stance-1112515

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/biggest-shipment-american-tanks-germany-cold-war-russia-aggression-donald-trump-vladimir-putin-nato-a7515066.html

I was responding to another posters post. You can call it deflection , I can call it a response.

People seem surprised that Russia interfered in a US election, they have been doing it for 200 years.
    The DNC were caught out, they ignored the lessons of history, they ignored Romneys warning in 2012, they ignored the CIAs warning in 2015/2016 and they paid a price.
    So Don is 100% correct to say this happened under Obamas watch .

Point remains that it’s still happening and trump hasn’t allowed them spend a penny of the funds set aside to deal with it

• Advertisement

I agree.. wtf was that button rubbish where the Obama administration sent the Secretary of State Hilary Clinton to meet Sergei Lavrov at a time of tension over Crimea, Ukraine etc , and she handed him a red button ... yeah wtf was that all about.

TRump Administration send 1500 more troops to Germany and the biggest shipment of tanks since the cold war to the Russian border.. Obama sent a red button and not even a big one .

https://www.newsweek.com/us-will-send-1500-more-troops-germany-despite-trumps-nato-stance-1112515

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/biggest-shipment-american-tanks-germany-cold-war-russia-aggression-donald-trump-vladimir-putin-nato-a7515066.html

I was responding to another posters post. You can call it deflection , I can call it a response.

People seem surprised that Russia interfered in a US election, they have been doing it for 200 years.
    The DNC were caught out, they ignored the lessons of history, they ignored Romneys warning in 2012, they ignored the CIAs warning in 2015/2016 and they paid a price.
    So Don is 100% correct to say this happened under Obamas watch .

The republicans are currently actively stopping any election security measures in the senate. McConnell refused to help Obamas bipartisan effort to stop Russian meddling.

The republicans are currently actively stopping any election security measures in the senate. McConnell refused to help Obamas bipartisan effort to stop Russian meddling.

Surely this is a key point.

Also key points here are that

1) no one from Trump's team contacted the FBI to advise them of the offer of assistance from the Russians
    2) no one from Trump's team had a problem with accepting assistance from the Russians
    3) the Trump team welcomed that assistance
    4) Trump has equivocated publicly on multiple occasions when asked about confirming that the assistance occurred
    5) the Republicans have blocked measures to ensure that it does not happen again (see point above by Nialler)

You are also forgetting deliberately or otherwise what Obama said about his view at that time. He was mindful of steps which could have been taken as being perceived as interfering with Trump's campaign. He told Putin to knock it off. Unfortunately, he made the mistake of thinking Trump's team would act honourably in all of this.

Point remains that it’s still happening and trump hasn’t allowed them spend a penny of the funds set aside to deal with it

cough cough ..

Trump asks for $9.6 billion to bolster cybersecurity in 2020 budget

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/11/trump-2020-budget-space-force-cyber-security-nasa-moon-mars/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFOfHuT49PrBlj9k7wMgOWBEQ4r7CAkO5P15bN-4DlrV3QIMHqccDOexAwLo1sPqk7ZELK2v-vjqfNHgzbdukjKERmra9gyDBjUU15DZWMcPazrf6GyObsBY0sL2hkM3RgjrOCPUoemPVohU2orUuT9UzSkG9u8B3Pjd00yhEurL

Trump signs long-delayed executive order on cybersecurity
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/11/trump-signs-long-delayed-executive-order-on-cybersecurity/

trump signs bill to modernize government it and cybersecurity
    https://www.techrepublic.com/article/trump-signs-bill-to-modernize-government-it-and-cybersecurity/
    On Tuesday, US president Donald Trump signed the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) into law, which contains a provision that could force the federal government to upgrade its out-of-date IT systems.

Meanwhile the DNC Chairwomans top IT guy was arrested on his way back to Pakistan and that case has raised huge questiosn about the in-eptitude of the DNC server IT department.
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/26/wasserman-schultzs-pakistani-it-guy-arrested-airpo/

I guess the anti-Trumpers will blame Trump that the IT guy responsible for the DNC servers got arressted trying to flee the US .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

More than that, the Republican Senate is actively blocking attempts to prevent meddling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it recommended Kushner not be given security clearance, right? Whatever ones feelings on Trump, Kushner should not allowed anywhere near the functioning of government (and certainly not the Middle East 'peace process')

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't dump tweets here please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭hcf500

I think this is the best thread to post this video. It is relevant because trump has encouraged and supported the alt right instead of condemning and shutting them out. He has given them a platform through the sewage that he tweets every day. This video demonstrates exactly why these channels need to be censored. There are too many young impressionable minds that will easily be led astray by the likes of ben shapiro, milo etc. There is also a NYT article covering the same story.

NYT ARTICLE

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Go to war, an actual war, come back to me when you have experienced it

Disappointingly, that was, however, the position of the Irish state for about four decades. And, of course, Japan.

It's just as wrong in all three instances, but there is some history behind it, it's not a one-man-opinion to hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Christy42

Disappointingly, that was, however, the position of the Irish state for about four decades. And, of course, Japan.

It's just as wrong in all three instances, but there is some history behind it, it's not a one-man-opinion to hold.

I feel like I am missing obvious here something here but every hero venerated in the Irish state I can think of off hand was captured in 1916.

Japan's views are also different from Trump in that they accepted not everyone succeeded and that suicide was an honourable way out (I disagree with this heavily but it is different to Trump's beliefs).

Trump gave out to them for failure. For not always succeeding. It isn't like he believed that McCain should have killed himself to avoid capture (which would still be wrong) he believes that he should be magically able to dodge any and all incoming fire.

So I am left wondering why you are bringing these up instead of focusing on Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement